GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicular manslaughter vs murder charges? How would that play out...along with taking the person/body over state lines? ? They need to find her. I don't think they are talking...maybe just throwing out stories with a bit of truth here or there. JMO

I wonder if the perps haven't given relatively complete confessions that ran along the lines of: Driver accidentally hit jogger, we stopped to render aid, placed her in our vehicle to take her to the hospital but she died before we could find the hospital. We freaked out because Waters is a convicted felon and took the body with us while we tried to decide what to do. We drove down a bunch of highways, trying to stick to ones that didn't have much traffic. Eventually, we decided to bury her and hope that no one would ever connect us to the accident.

We found a vacant farmhouse and buried her near the treeline. The treeline had big trees in it and there were some deadfalls there. The place we dug the grave was covered with matted grass.

After we did that, we took off driving again, had a fight and one of us dropped the other off in Williston...

The above is completely speculation on my part!

But if that were the essence of the confession(s), then LE would want to find the remains so that they could discover if it really happened that way vs, well, something far more horrifying. Her body would show signs of how long she lived after the impact, for example.

If the perps did tell LE they buried her near a tree line I would think they could at least recall if it was off a dirt road, paved road or gravel road. There are too many specifics with the "contains mature or rotted trees" statement IMO that LE would have speculated on this. Could forensic evidence in or on the truck show it had been near rotted trees? Bark perhaps?

I apologize for not having read all of the info., but has the media, or LE said what her jogging route was?

I'm not blaming the victim, since I am one (many times over); however, there has to be some warning put out to women that they cannot jog in isolated areas; that is, where someone(s) can isolate and overpower them. I would include times of day when little traffic, or other people are around. So many cases I've researched are brought to mind.

Was she known to have carried a cell phone, pepper spray, etc. when she went jogging?

ITA with this, and its not only in isolated areas. This past summer, I was a victim of stabbing and rape. It was 6 AM (July) so within 10 minutes, it would have been light out. I had a cell phone with me, but I can tell you in MY CASE, if I would have had a gun in my hand..it would not have affected the outcome in the least. I was in a residential neighborhood on a corner..houses were within feet of where it occurred and no weapon, no pepper spray, etc. would have helped. This guy stepped out from behind some cover and started stabbing..absolutely NO TIME to do anything proactive. Having this happen made me realize that weapons/spray would only be useful if you SAW the threat COMING. Again, in my case alone this is how I feel. What I'm trying to say, is women as a whole have to be aware EVERYWHERE..day and night, and definitely we are unable to SAFELY be alone at night or in the early morning hours, no matter where we are. When this happened, I was very vocal. The neighborhood is considered "upscale" and a major University was a block away. Neighborhood is literally filled at all times day and night of dog walkers, women walking, jogging, etc. I told every single person I saw, met, went door to door, etc to STAY OFF THE STREET AT NIGHT. HE'S STILL OUT THERE. Do you know how many actually listened? If I had to guess...maybe 20%. I was so pissed everytime I looked out my window and saw some college girl jogging down the street at midnite with earbuds in her ears! Women have a tendency to think it will never happen to THEM, they live in safe neighborhood, what are the odds? The ODDS are 1 in 5 women are a victim of rape. I know its not fair, we should be able to come and go as we please, whenever and whereever we want..but that is NOT the reality of the situation. If these men hit her by accident, it was the darkness that allowed them cover it up and to spirit her away. If they kidnapped her off the street, darkness helped enable them to do that, Darkness alone increases your chance of being hit by a car if you're on the street...I know of course we have to go out in the dark sometimes, but we do not have to jog, walk, etc IN THE DARK. I'm not educated as to the statistics, but I would have to say that more things happen to women after dark, then before. Make no mistake, I am not blaming Sherry AT ALL. Damn tragic and certainly NOT HER FAULT .

A few years back I was helping search for a lady in Houston, TX. LE arrested her son and his friend for her murder. They were so high they couldn't remember exactly where they put her. All they could remember was that there was a bridge and a Shamrock gas station right there. Two of our volunteer searchers finally found such a place and discovered her body in some bushes. The third day of our search.

I am still thinking along this line given that both are known to do drugs... I still tend to think that maybe the younger one was talking more than the older one but he was either drunk or high when everything was happening that he does not remember where the exact spot is that they put her.

I wonder if they have been able to follow these guys cell phone locations during / right after / and after the time that Sherry disappeared. Did they make a phone call? Did that give LE any ideas of where to search?

:sigh:

Thank you for sharing your story, jashrema. I'm really sorry to hear that happened to you.

I agree that we as women must be aware of our surroundings at all times.

Unfortunately, I really don't think LE has much idea where Sherry is. They seem to be trying to include the entire northwest quadrant of ND plus northeastern MT. That's a huge amount of land. I was hoping by now they'd be narrowing down the geographical search area, not expanding it.

Its very discouraging.

I know all the attention is probably difficult for a small town like this to handle, but even if they have to scream it from the roof tops, they have to get the word out so people know to search their properties or if possible alert LE about vacant properties that may not be checked by the land owners.

jashrema, thank you for sharing your story....I am sorry you went through that... Thank you for warning others and reminding other women that we should not go out alone after dark, even in small communities... you never know when something will happen sadly.

While we're on the topic of personal safety, I would just like to make a book recommendation: The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. If you have a daughter or granddaughter please get them this book and ask them to read it. If you are a woman and haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

I apologize for not having read all of the info., but has the media, or LE said what her jogging route was?

I'm not blaming the victim, since I am one (many times over); however, there has to be some warning put out to women that they cannot jog in isolated areas; that is, where someone(s) can isolate and overpower them. I would include times of day when little traffic, or other people are around. So many cases I've researched are brought to mind.

Was she known to have carried a cell phone, pepper spray, etc. when she went jogging?

Concentric, as a woman, I would bristle at being told I could not go jogging in any public area I darn well pleased.

While cases like Sherry Arnold's get huge amounts of media play, the plain facts are that a woman is most in danger of violence from someone she knows: parent, boyfriend, spouse, child.

If you go by the statistics, women should be ENCOURAGED to go jogging in isolated areas for their own safety.

Please read Gavin de Becker's Gift of Fear for a more complete argument than mine.

As for whether the victim was carrying a cell phone, no. I don't recall any specific mention of pepper spray but my impression is, probably not.

I used to live in an equally small town and it never occurred to me to carry anything like that. I knew that if I needed help, any house I approached with someone home would help me.

Not to minimize these charges, but he was probably only just turned 18 in the sexual contact with a minor charge...partying with a 16/17 year old, he became aggressive?
IDK

Or, depending on the age of consent and the age of the victim, she was saying "yes, yes, yes" where the law says "NO, NO, NO."

I think that LE has gotten that they buried her near a windbreak or whatever you call a row of trees on a farm... I think otherwise they would say about watching around lakes

I know that some people take issue with this stance, but I think it's a really good idea. The terrain in western ND/eastern MT is incredibly rugged, and the last thing the investigators need is someone else lost out there.

This is a little O/T...but....DH is afraid there is going to be a missing person case in our surrounding areas because he knows if there is a case close by, I'll be out looking/sleuthing.

The first thing I said was, "You bet I would try to help look!"

But then I said it would probably be the only time a sleuther ended up on a missing person list because I am notorious for mixing up directions. (getting lost)

However, I would just make sure I was with some fellow sleuthers/searchers, because I would so want to help. :seeya:

I wonder why they didn't just use a reverse 911 call to the homes in the area. Maybe they did and we just haven't heard.

Do they have reverse 911?

I know we don't in my county, although it has come up for a vote the last few years. It's just a little too expensive and it's not a state mandate, so my tiny county (less than 17K residents) keeps putting it off.

There's only so much money in the county budget and there is so much that we have no option but to fund. I mean, even an new traffic light is a significant budget item that has to be voted on.

Rural USA is so, so different from the urban USA that 80% of the population lives in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82