GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Shirley's family and the school were informed that she was dead, then why hold that information from the public? That leaves the question of HOW do they know she is dead? Even if the perps told them this, it still has to be confirmed by evidence before it will hold up in court. If they can charge them with aggravated kidnapping, what evidence do they have to prove that, but not murder?
This is not making sense to me.

Why haven't they been charged with murder? :waitasec:

We don't know, but I truly don't think they have her body yet and that may be why they are holding off on further charges. As I mentioned upthread, this is very similar to what was done in Summer Inman's case.

i would think that have to have a charge to hold them.

Right. It sounds like they have no evidence of murder yet

No body = no murder

Aggravated kidnapping may get them as much time as murder and buys them time to locate her body.

I just don't get why they announced she's dead without knowing what happened.

Couldn't they have held them until they had definite evidence that she's dead?

What if they don't find her? The accused can get out in 2 years?

Of course one huge difference between this and Summer's case is that Summer's abduction had at least one eyewitness. So far we don't know of any confirmed witnesses in this case. Also, once they knew who had Summer, the names of the perps were released and splashed all over the news. It wasn't anywhere near this secretive.

We don't know, but I truly don't think they have her body yet and that may be why they are holding off on further charges. As I mentioned upthread, this is very similar to what was done in Summer Inman's case.

I didn't follow that case. Did they charge the perps without a body?

Right. It sounds like they have no evidence of murder yet

No body = no murder

Aggravated kidnapping may get them as much time as murder and buys them time to locate her body.

I just don't get why they announced she's dead without knowing what happened.

Couldn't they have held them until they had definite evidence that she's dead?

What if they don't find her? The accused can get out in 2 years?

That's one reason I'm hoping this would fall under Federal, not State charges, and perhaps would carry a (much) longer minimum sentence.

I don't automatically point the finger at the media when there are confusing elements in the story, as some tend to do. One should not blame the pipeline without casting an eye also at the supplier, and the more vague LE is in providing useful information to the public, the hazier is the public's perception of just what is taking place.

I didn't follow that case. Did they charge the perps without a body?

They charged them with kidnapping without a body, but not murder until one of them made a deal and revealed where they had hidden Summer's body. She was about as well hidden as you could get. I don't see how anyone would have found her without one of her murderers confessing.

Are they still searching for her body? I haven't read anything about them still trying to locate her but I may have missed it.

One of the articles I read this morning stated that investigators in ND were continuing to search and to collect evidence. I'll have to look for the link, but the way it was worded definitely sounded like they're searching for Sherry.

ETA: Here it is:

Investigators in North Dakota are continuing to search the area and gather evidence in the case. DiFonzo called the rumors circulated Friday night that Arnold may have been killed in a hit-and-run type accident "all kinds of speculation."

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/sta...ed4-11e1-8ce5-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1jSOCy2wE

I feel for her family and hope they were told a lot more than has been revealed in the media by LE.

If I was a family member and all they could tell me was that she's dead without evidence or a body, I don't think I'd accept it. :(

DH and I were out earlier this evening when the thread was moved back to the "missing" forum. I hope the family has been privy to more information than the public because it must be horrible to "know" that your loved one is most likely deceased but not know where her remains are or if they can be retrieved. I also hope that the family is demanding answers and the recovery of Sherry's remains as quickly as possible.

Just this past week, a painter fell from the Ambassador Bridge into the icy waters of the Detroit River. The family knew within 24 hours that their loved one could not have survived the fall and have reconciled this fact, but they want searches to continue until his body is recovered. The search continued through yesterday, but I haven't heard/read anything about whether or not it will continue.

Thoughts and prayers for both of these grieving families that their loved one's remains will be found, and they can have some degree of closure. jmo

Here's another "clear as mud" article:

DiFonzo told the Herald he did not acknowledge that report but said he only believed there were two men being held and directed the Herald to speak to jail officials.
Officials there are not confirming, nor is the FBI, only saying that "the investigation is ongoing."
For clarification, law enforcement never publicly confirmed Arnold's death; only the school district and family. DiFonzo did not confirm to the Herald Saturday morning reports of Arnold being killed by a vehicle as reported by other media.

http://www.willistonherald.com/news...cle_e87b4418-3f09-11e1-84e4-0019bb2963f4.html

Mayor of Montana town where teacher Sherry Arnold vanished blames oil workers for her disappearance

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...anished-blames-oil-workers-disappearance.html

:waitasec:

What an ignorant thing for the the mayor to spew. If and when it's proven that an oil worker wasn't involved, he'll apologize, right? Well....if I'm an oil worker, too late. I wouldn't spend another dime in that town! I bet the good mayor doesn't turn down any tax money the oil co. pays! Sorry for the rant, but my husband has been an oil man for almost 40 yrs. I despise ignorant comments by people like this mayor. :furious:

Yep, that's a regurgitation of the abc.com article I posted in the second post of this thread. My jaw kind of dropped when I read that quote from the Mayor too. Talk about tactless.

I've been gone all day, so let me get this straight....Sherry is confirmed dead, but they do NOT have her body? And we still don't know anything about who is responsible other than a rude assumption by the mayor? Do we know what happened to her yet....my guess is no?

I've been gone all day, so let me get this straight....Sherry is confirmed dead, but they do NOT have her body? And we still don't know anything about who is responsible other than a rude assumption by the mayor? Do we know what happened to her yet....my guess is no?

Sherry has not been confirmed dead by LE to the media or the public. They have apparently told Sherry's family and employer that they do not believe she is alive.

Two as yet unamed men have been charged with aggravated kidnapping and are being held in the Williams County Jail in Williston, ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea