Music

GWM, I'm so glad you mentioned the Smashing Pumpkins and Bush. Two amazing bands that somehow I neglected to include in my long list.

That just goes to show how solid the 90's particularly the early 90's was for music.

SMashing pumpkins were good. I thought Bush sucked HOWEVER I have a theory for this. Bush came out with all of the greats....so when comparing Bush to Pearl Jam....ehhhh it doesnt work. BUT when Bush songs come on the radio that is usually full with todays drivel, they sound awesome. I guess its all relative.

Ive seen Pearl Jam (4x), AIC, Red Hot Chili Peppers (4-5x I think), STP, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Silver Chair (they were actually really good when they opened for RHCP), Rage against the machine/Wu tang......good stuff.

That just goes to show how solid the 90's particularly the early 90's was for music.

No body has seen that many GREAT bands come out at once since the 60s

So did all of you guys have long hair, and wear flannel too? I did

.....I listen to Jim Jones....

(Bringing a little humor from the other thread, don't mind me.)

And no, I don't really listen to that crap. :)

I certainly had long hair. I also owned different flannel for every day of the week.(not really)

What?!!! No Barry Manilow fans?!!

Well, I'd say I am more of an AC/DC fan. But I do have a very eclectic taste in music ranging from hard rock to country, some pop, some 70's (Reo speedwagon and yes, some disco) and 80's (the cars) to classical, symphony, and certain rap songs.

But listen up you male Barry Manilow bashers (especially you LINative, if your current relationship doesn't lead to something more).......

Several years ago Barry Manilow was giving a concert at the PNC Art Center. I wanted to go so bad because honestly, I do really love a lot of his music (ex: I made it through the rain), but pleading with most of my friends to go with me was like pulling teeth. Finally, I bribed one of my male (strictly platonic) coworker to accompany me. I even paid for his ticket. He whined all the way there, I wanted to slap him.
but once we arrived, parked, and trecked our blanket and other belongings up the hill to the ampitheatre,
his demeanor took a complete 180. There before him was a sea of beautiful young women with their friends (other beautiful women) wearing shorts and tank tops drinking overpriced beer and beaming with anticipation to hear Mandy sang up close and personal by the one and only.
He was in Manilow heaven and still thanks me to this day.

What?!!! No Barry Manilow fans?!!

Well, I'd say I am more of an AC/DC fan. But I do have a very eclectic taste in music ranging from hard rock to country, some pop, some 70's (Reo speedwagon and yes, some disco) and 80's (the cars) to classical, symphony, and certain rap songs.

But listen up you male Barry Manilow bashers (especially you LINative, if your current relationship doesn't lead to something more).......

Several years ago Barry Manilow was giving a concert at the PNC Art Center. I wanted to go so bad because honestly, I do really love a lot of his music (ex: I made it through the rain), but pleading with most of my friends to go with me was like pulling teeth. Finally, I bribed one of my male (strictly platonic) coworker to accompany me. I even paid for his ticket. He whined all the way there, I wanted to slap him.
but once we arrived, parked, and trecked our blanket and other belongings up the hill to the ampitheatre,
his demeanor took a complete 180. There before him was a sea of beautiful young women with their friends (other beautiful women) wearing shorts and tank tops drinking overpriced beer and beaming with anticipation to hear Mandy sang up close and personal by the one and only.
He was in Manilow heaven and still thanks me to this day.

What is a "Barry Manolo"?

Oasis died because they came out with one good album and then claimed they were bigger than the beatles and the entire world lost respect for them.

That sum oasis up for you bro? LOL

I disagree to an extent. They didn't release only one great album. Both their debut, Definitely Maybe and their follow-up (What's The Story) Morning Glory? are fantastic. The latter being the one most people tend to point to when Oasis comes up in conversation. The Gallagher brothers were/are both huge Beatles fans. I think when they claimed they were bigger than the Beatles it was more of a statement made out of respect than anything else. Clearly they didn't have the run the Beatles had. But for awhile there was no denying their place at the top of the Rock & Roll food chain. In the end the two brothers just couldn't get along. They self-imploded. But in retrospect maybe it's better that way. I wouldn't be shocked if somewhere down the line they got back together and played a few gigs here and there. But the sun has almost certainly set on Oasis.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SEhKGLr7eI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SEhKGLr7eI[/ame]

No body has seen that many GREAT bands come out at once since the 60s

So did all of you guys have long hair, and wear flannel too? I did

The great thing about that Seattle scene of the early 90's was that even though all those bands came out of the same place at about the same time, they were all different. Nirvana was punk, Soundgarden more psychedelic/classic rock, Alice In Chains was metal, and Pearl Jam was somewhere in the middle. They all shared something, but none were a mere image of the other.

SMashing pumpkins were good. I thought Bush sucked HOWEVER I have a theory for this. Bush came out with all of the greats....so when comparing Bush to Pearl Jam....ehhhh it doesnt work. BUT when Bush songs come on the radio that is usually full with todays drivel, they sound awesome. I guess its all relative.

Ive seen Pearl Jam (4x), AIC, Red Hot Chili Peppers (4-5x I think), STP, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Silver Chair (they were actually really good when they opened for RHCP), Rage against the machine/Wu tang......good stuff.

Bush was good. Gavin Rossdale never got the credit he deserved. People, to this day, call him a Kurt Cobain clone. And to an extent he definitely was. But looking past all that, it was the songs on Sixteen Stone that made him famous. Songs like "Comedown", "Everything Zen", "Little Things", "Glycerine", and "Machinehead" still get a lot of playtime now, even in 2013. They kind of came out of nowehere, too. Which made them all the more appealing because they were a long shot. If you could just pick up a guitar in mid 1994 and play a few catchy chords and be the next Nirvana or Kurt Cobain, why didn't more people successfully do so? Rossdale excelled at this. Classic example of right time, right place. Bush has my respect.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSdivOcA6jA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSdivOcA6jA[/ame]

Kurts guitar was simple. He even said he tried to make it simple. You ever try and sing and play lead guitar at the same time? Definitely tough.

I disagree to an extent. They didn't release only one great album. Both their debut, Definitely Maybe and their follow-up (What's The Story) Morning Glory? are fantastic. The latter being the one most people tend to point to when Oasis comes up in conversation. The Gallagher brothers were/are both huge Beatles fans. I think when they claimed they were bigger than the Beatles it was more of a statement made out of respect than anything else. Clearly they didn't have the run the Beatles had. But for awhile they're was no denying their place at the top of the Rock & Roll food chain. In the end the two brothers just couldn't get along. They self-imploded. But in retrospect maybe it's better that way. I wouldn't be shocked if somewhere down the line they got back together and played a few gigs here and there. But the sun has almost certainly set on Oasis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SEhKGLr7eI

Shocking that I am going to chime in here eh? :heartluv:

While Oasis did not maintain their success in the US they still do sell records here, and are legendary overseas and sold out stadiums even when their fame waned in the States, all the way until their "retirement." I'm not naive because I'm a fan though, their pompous image blew up in their face in the States. They're not the first rock band however to have played that card, it just didn't work out in their case there, but they still produced great music. Not only that but their last two albums, Don't Believe The Truth and Dig Out Your Soul are fantastic. Sure, Liam and the rest of the most recent incarnation of Oasis play now as Beady Eye and Noel has his solo project, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds but I don't doubt that they'll get back together or as you said play a few gigs here and there. I actually have been really enjoying Noel's solo work myself.

Sure, I'm biased but I actually was pretty young when WTSMG came out and came to appreciate their body of work much later after jamming with friends, playing their most famous singles and deciding to do a little more homework and became a big fan.

/Fangirl Rant

That said, yes I'm also big 90s music fan myself. <3

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz