Muslim cabbies refuse the blind and drinkers

PlasmaFiend024 said:
it sems like it cause if someone makes some dumb remark.they get all crazy about it.i think my 5 year old has better restraint than that.the muslims just need to get over them selves.and stop wanting people to cater to there religon.
Are Muslims rioting in the streets of Melbourne because of the cabbie incident?

Paladin said:
If we were more outraged we might end up acting like the jerks who were setting churches on fire after the Pope's remarks. I think we also know when to let things slide for the sake of keeping the peace. If we got up in arms about every little thing on this planet the world would be a much nastier place.
no, i don't want that. it is just always something with a part of the muslim population anymore.i just don't know why discrimination is ok for some and not others. some groups are never allowed to be upset and if some get upset that all hell breaks loose. you can't turn away a blind man with a dog anymore than you can turn away a parapalegic with a wheelchair, it is an extention of theirselves that helps them live more conveniently, so to speak.

windovervocalcords said:
Are Muslims rioting in the streets of Melbourne because of the cabbie incident?

no but i wouldnt be surprised if they did.rememeber the danish cartoons.havent they ever heard of parody.if not this they will find somthing else to complain about.

2sisters said:
no, i don't want that. it is just always something with a part of the muslim population anymore.i just don't know why discrimination is ok for some and not others. some groups are never allowed to be upset and if some get upset that all hell breaks loose. you can't turn away a blind man with a dog anymore than you can turn away a parapalegic with a wheelchair, it is an extention of theirselves that helps them live more conveniently, so to speak.
It seems its just always something with the Muslims because we are at war with a Muslim country, and we are all overly sensitive to Muslims.

The 9/11 terrorists were Muslim. Muslims rioted over "cartoons" but it was really more to the story than cartoons.

Even the Pope offended Muslims.

Likewise, we are offended that they are offended. It goes on and on. Unless, we on our side respond maturely.

I doubt Muslims hate blind people.

2sisters said:

Exactly.

It's discrimination....and just that simple. If these people have any religious problems with this, then they should look for a job that won't conflict with their beliefs.

I am really sick of all this stuff. I have a friend who is a catholic, but she works in a Jewish school. She doesn't force them to deal with her religious beliefs...because she chose to work in a Jewish school.

I am so sick of all this political correctness BS. If they think it's so bad, they can always go back to where they came from. My great-grandparents dropped to the ground and thanked the good Lord for getting them to this great country. The first thing they did was learn to speak English! Can you imagine? They were so proud to be Americans. And that's the problem these days.

I do realize that this article is concerning an issue in another country, but give it time, and it'll happen here.

luvbeaches said:
Exactly.

It's discrimination....and just that simple. If these people have any religious problems with this, then they should look for a job that won't conflict with their beliefs.

I am really sick of all this stuff. I have a friend who is a catholic, but she works in a Jewish school. She doesn't force them to deal with her religious beliefs...because she chose to work in a Jewish school.

I am so sick of all this political correctness BS. If they think it's so bad, they can always go back to where they came from. My great-grandparents dropped to the ground and thanked the good Lord for getting them to this great country. The first thing they did was learn to speak English! Can you imagine? They were so proud to be Americans. And that's the problem these days.

I do realize that this article is concerning an issue in another country, but give it time, and it'll happen here.
exactly...i go to 4th of july celebrations etc.and never see any muslims indians etc.i mean if i went to live into uk.i would at least make an effort to mingle and intertwine a litlle with the locals

windovervocalcords said:
It seems its just always something with the Muslims because we are at war with a Muslim country, and we are all overly sensitive to Muslims.

The 9/11 terrorists were Muslim. Muslims rioted over "cartoons" but it was really more to the story than cartoons.

Even the Pope offended Muslims.

Likewise, we are offended that they are offended. It goes on and on. Unless, we on our side respond maturely.

if they didnt hate they would make an exception for those less fortunate than themselves.at least i would anyway regardless of my religous or personal beleifs

PlasmaFiend024 said:
exactly...i go to 4th of july celebrations etc.and never see any muslims indians etc.i mean if i went to live into uk.i would at least make an effort to mingle and intertwine a litlle with the locals

Exactly.

There's no reason why we all can't get along, but when your religious beliefs starts to infiltrate your work environment, then it's time to get a different job. It's not the employers responsibilty to worry about the religious beliefs of their employees.

PlasmaFiend024 said:
if they didnt hate they would make an exception for those less fortunate than themselves.at least i would anyway regardless of my religous or personal beleifs
So your feeling is that the Muslim cabbies hate blind people when what they say is the problem is with the dogs.

Is that correct?

PlasmaFiend024 said:
This is a good point.

Why not ask Muslims why they do not go to celebrations like 4th of July? Otherwise, you have to "make it up" as to their reasons they don't "mingle".

Do you go to their community events or mosques?

windovervocalcords said:
no, I know it is a dog issue not a blind issue. I do not know why this story has upset me so much, but it has.

windovervocalcords said:
This is an interesting story. Great opportunity to learn. It jwould never have occured to me in a million years that Musliims cabbies would not pick up a blind passenger who had a seeing eye dog!

Why would it have not occured to me? Because it is not my cultural experience.

I have had house guest from Tibet. I was surprised at their discomfort and aversion they had to my pets.

Thye were horrified that I live with a cat and a dog. These are very intelligent and kind people and they were terrified of my pets! Why? Cultural context.

We expect immigrants to learn our ways REAL quick. It takes time. Sounds like the community is addressing this appropriately.
Are you sure it's not just a PERSONAL aversion and not CULTURAL? Tibetans live with dogs. Some very fine breeds come out of Tibet. They are welcome as commpanions and work with Tibetans. Here's a website that shows a 1920 photo of "the living god" with his spaniel by his side in the monestary. There are descriptions and other photos there. There are now Tibetan dog show judges. No, it's not cultural there.
http://home.swipnet.se/a-mas/Tibet%20dogs.htm

Sorry Wind, but I wanted to get the correct impression out about Tibetans and dogs. They are very much a part of their culture.

I also don't understand the Muslim aversion to dogs. I know that the Saluki is a desert hunting dog. In fact, here's another site that shows Muslims hunting with dogs. This from the UAE:

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/418bd/http://home.swipnet.se/a-mas/Tibet dogs.htm

I will quote one paragraph:

The Saluki has been historically known as a dog for Muslims. The reason was that it was trained to catch the prey and hold it in its mouth till the time the owner came and killed it in line with the religious requirements.
I'm sorry, but which Imam of what Mosque has decided that dogs were unclean? If I need a ride home from the liquor store because my guide dog and I live too far to walk in a reasonable amount of time, I expect a cabbie to pick me up and take me home. I am paying him. He is licensed. His company is under contract and must comply with the city ordinances.

Muslims clerk in gas stations and convenience stores that sell beer. I would assume they allow the customers to purchase it.

Um... Tibetans are not Muslim, by and large.

As I understand it, the Muslim disdain for dogs is an ancient one. It may not be possible to trace it to one Iman.

2sisters said:
no, I know it is a dog issue not a blind issue. I do not know why this story has upset me so much, but it has.
How great that you know that it upsets you and you know you don't know why it does. That's pretty advanced actually.

BarnGoddess said:
Are you sure it's not just a PERSONAL aversion and not CULTURAL? Tibetans live with dogs. Some very fine breeds come out of Tibet. They are welcome as commpanions and work with Tibetans. Here's a website that shows a 1920 photo of "the living god" with his spaniel by his side in the monestary. There are descriptions and other photos there. There are now Tibetan dog show judges. No, it's not cultural there.
http://home.swipnet.se/a-mas/Tibet%20dogs.htm

Sorry Wind, but I wanted to get the correct impression out about Tibetans and dogs. They are very much a part of their culture.

I also don't understand the Muslim aversion to dogs. I know that the Saluki is a desert hunting dog. In fact, here's another site that shows Muslims hunting with dogs. This from the UAE:

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/418bd/

I will quote one paragraph:

I'm sorry, but which Imam of what Mosque has decided that dogs were unclean? If I need a ride home from the liquor store because my guide dog and I live too far to walk in a reasonable amount of time, I expect a cabbie to pick me up and take me home. I am paying him. He is licensed. His company is under contract and must comply with the city ordinances.

Muslims clerk in gas stations and convenience stores that sell beer. I would assume they allow the customers to purchase it.
It was not a personal issue. It was cultural. My guests were Lamas.
(It was the cats in particular.) It was a social gaffe on my part.

There are regional differences within Tibet too.

windovervocalcords said:
It was not a personal issue. It was cultural. My guests were Lamas.
(It was the cats in particular.) It was a social gaffe on my part.

There are regional differences within Tibet too.
The picture in my link is the Dali Lama of the time. His spaniel is seated next to him. Check the link. And it is not a social gaffe. They were guests in your home. If I am a guest in someone's home and they sit on the floor and eat from low tables with chopsticks, then so will I.

Nova:
As I understand it, the Muslim disdain for dogs is an ancient one. It may not be possible to trace it to one Iman.
Did you read my post and check my link? Muslims hunt with dogs. It can't be a universal Muslim distaste if some use them. Maybe we need Cypros to explain why some Muslims have dogs and others think they're "unclean" and abhor them. I believe it's an interpretation, not a universally held law of the Muslim faith.

windovervocalcords said:
So your feeling is that the Muslim cabbies hate blind people when what they say is the problem is with the dogs.

Is that correct?

I didn't get that impression. The bottom line is that they can't perform their job, and they should quit or be fired.

windovervocalcords said:
How great that you know that it upsets you and you know you don't know why it does. That's pretty advanced actually.

That's a personal attack. :(

luvbeaches said:
I didn't get that impression. The bottom line is that they can't perform their job, and they should quit or be fired.
Amen to that.as i said before i wouldnt work in a butcher shop if i had an aversion to blood.simple as that.leave all the relious ideology out of it.its kind of saying because there muslim they must have special rules made for them.

windovervocalcords said:
hey man if you want to debate fine.but dont get personal or rude.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back