Muslim cabbies refuse the blind and drinkers

PlasmaFiend024 said:
Amen to that.as i said before i wouldnt work in a butcher shop if i had an aversion to blood.simple as that.leave all the relious ideology out of it.its kind of saying because there muslim they must have special rules made for them.

And can you imagine telling your boss that you won't handle or cut the meat because you are a vegeterian? Religious or personal issues have no place in the workplace. It's as simple as that. Things are out of control everywhere.

I think it's NUTS for these cabbies to think that they have the right not to pick up a person because of this. They can believe whatever they want...they can worship the God of Nuttyville for all I care, but it shouldn't carry over into their work. If it does, then I say they should be fired for failure to do their job.

After reading so many of Windover's posts, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I think she meant it as an affirmation, not any kind of attack. That's how I read it, anyway...

Actually there have always been special rules based on Religion. We have dry County's and Blue Laws etc in this Country. We were just having this discussion yesterday. If there is a seperation of Church and State how can Georgia have laws that prohibit liquer sales on Sundays? Half the bars on Tybee Island have to remain closed on Sundays now because their food reciepts do not total 40% of their total sales. What day of the week it is should have no bearing on the practices of private business.

As long as I'm here, I may as well chime in... I gotta agree with those that say the cabbie needs to do his job. If it goes against his religion somehow, then he needs to get a different job. Same with pharmacists, IMO.

tybee204 said:
Actually there have always been special rules based on Religion. We have dry County's and Blue Laws etc in this Country. We were just having this discussion yesterday. If there is a seperation of Church and State how can Georgia have laws that prohibit liquer sales on Sundays? Half the bars on Tybee Island have to remain closed on Sundays now because their food reciepts do not total 40% of their total sales. What day of the week it is should have no bearing on the practices of private business.
Wow, you're touching on one of my sore spots, there, Tybee. We have that law in Michigan, too, and it makes no sense to me. Don't even know how they got it passed.

In discussion with different Christian people, it seems that someone will comment along the lines of "well, if it's not your religion, don't worry about it." But I HAVE to worry about it when it spills over into the public sector.

tybee204 said:

We used to have the Blue Laws not far from here, but it was voted out. I also don't understand the chuch and state issue.

When we were in the Dallas area, we went to a restaurant is located in a dry county. I kept seeing people lugging coolers in and out of the place. Come to find out, they were bringing their own booze into the place. I thought that was weird, but everyone seemed to like the idea (those that had the beer, anyway).

I do agree, that what day of the week should have no bearing on the practices of a private business. Some of these laws go back a long time, but I think they should be taken off the books. You can't have your cake, and eat it too.

Forcing a business to close on a weekend day on a small seasonal tourist destination is akin to putting them out of business. it is an unfair practice based on the leanings of one dominet religion.

IrishMist said:
In discussion with different Christian people, it seems that someone will comment along the lines of "well, if it's not your religion, don't worry about it." But I HAVE to worry about it when it spills over into the public sector.

And that's it in a nutshell. It shouldn't be my concern what religion my pharmasist is, or my cabbie...they were hired to do a job, and they should do it. If they can't, they should be removed. It's that simple, IMO.

luvbeaches said:
We used to have the Blue Laws not far from here, but it was voted out. I also don't understand the chuch and state issue.

When we were in the Dallas area, we went to a restaurant is located in a dry county. I kept seeing people lugging coolers in and out of the place. Come to find out, they were bringing their own booze into the place. I thought that was weird, but everyone seemed to like the idea (those that had the beer, anyway).

I do agree, that what day of the week should have no bearing on the practices of a private business. Some of these laws go back a long time, but I think they should be taken off the books. You can't have your cake, and eat it too.

In georgia you cant buy a beer in a retail store in Sundays. Restaurants can only remain open if 50% of their sales is in food.

tybee204 said:
In georgia you cant buy a beer in a retail store in Sundays. Restaurants can only remain open if 50% of their sales is in food.

We had a similar law and couldn't buy booze on Sunday. We now can purchase it on Sunday's, but I don't think we can buy it on certain holidays, which is weird. If someone wants to buy liquor on Sunday, they should be able to. IMO, they should also be able to buy it on the holidays. I think it's Thanksgiving, Christmas, and maybe Easter that they are closed. Not everyone celebrates these holidays. It's another example of church/state issues overlapping when they shouldn't.

I think it's crazy about the restaurants in that area. Why should the amount of food they sell have anything to do with it? So what if people want to drink on Sunday? It's none of my business.

Although I don't really drink much, I have no problem with people drinking on Sunday. It's not my business. They did put it to a vote...and the "yes" outnumbered the "no's" by a very wide margin. But it took a long time for the issue to even make it to the ballot.

windovervocalcords said:
How great that you know that it upsets you and you know you don't know why it does. That's pretty advanced actually.
there is really no need for the attitude, it is not apprecated. I have given you no reason to respond that way. Just where do you get off trying to imply that i am an idiot? Read the TOS, personal attacks are not tolerated.

2sisters said:
there is really no need for the attitude, it is not apprecated. I have given you no reason to respond that way. Just where do you get off trying to imply that i am an idiot? Read the TOS, personal attacks are not tolerated.
You totally miss my point. I am not being sarcastic at all. I am very impressed with your sensitivity.

I literally meant exactly what I said.

To be aware enough to know that something upsets you even if you don't know why is WAY ahead of lots of people. It is advanced. Self-awareness is one of my highest values. I have alot of respect for people who are self-aware.

Other people get upset and go into judging others without knowing they are upset.

Is that any clearer? I am sorry to upset you. It was not my intention.

I do not believe I violated any TOS or attacked you. I am sorry you feel that way.

Can we start over?

windovervocalcords said:
You totally miss my point. I am not being sarcastic at all. I am very impressed with your sensitivity.

I literally meant exactly what I said.

To be aware enough to know that something upsets you even if you don't know why is WAY ahead of lots of people. It is advanced. Self-awareness is one of my highest values. I have alot of respect for people who are self-aware.

Other people get upset and go into judging others without knowing they are upset.

Is that any clearer? I am sorry to upset you. It was not my intention.

I do not believe I violated any TOS or attacked you. I am sorry you feel that way.

Can we start over?
Ok ,i guess I misunderstood you. apology accepted. I detected sarcasm and i think others did too so I felt a little insulted. We can def. :truce: start over

2sisters said:
Ok ,i guess I misunderstood you. apology accepted. I detected sarcasm and i think others did too so I felt a little insulted. We can def. :truce: start over

Well, that goes for me. I also misunderstood the post.

BarnGoddess said:
The picture in my link is the Dali Lama of the time. His spaniel is seated next to him. Check the link. And it is not a social gaffe. They were guests in your home. If I am a guest in someone's home and they sit on the floor and eat from low tables with chopsticks, then so will I.

Nova:

Did you read my post and check my link? Muslims hunt with dogs. It can't be a universal Muslim distaste if some use them. Maybe we need Cypros to explain why some Muslims have dogs and others think they're "unclean" and abhor them. I believe it's an interpretation, not a universally held law of the Muslim faith.
They were what I would call "high guests" or honored guests. Guests in whom I feel a sense of reverence for. So, it was a "gaffe", a display of my own ignorance.

It is not as if these guests demand anything. The respect I feel for them makes me want to make them as comfortable in my house as they would be in theirs.

BarnGoddess said:
Nova:

Did you read my post and check my link? Muslims hunt with dogs. It can't be a universal Muslim distaste if some use them. Maybe we need Cypros to explain why some Muslims have dogs and others think they're "unclean" and abhor them. I believe it's an interpretation, not a universally held law of the Muslim faith.

BG, I did and I am aware that some Muslims use dogs for hunting. Nonetheless and though I am not an Islamic scholar, my general understanding is that many Muslims avoid dogs for religious reasons. ("Universal," I don't know. There are over 1 billion Muslims.) I believe it has something to do with some event or events in the life of Mohammad.

I'm not defending the cabbies in question. I'm just saying I don't believe the dog thing is some weird, local variation.

How great that you know that it upsets you and you know you don't know why it does. That's pretty advanced actually.
I couldn't put my finger on why I didn't like this post, but then I read:

To be aware enough to know that something upsets you even if you don't know why is WAY ahead of lots of people. It is advanced. Self-awareness is one of my highest values.
Now I know it's because I'm quite advanced and exist on a higher spiritual level of self-awareness. :p

Oh, I agree with the post that said that if your religion prevents you from fully carrying out your job, then it's time to change jobs. Discrimination for any reason cannot be accepted.

2sisters said:

Good for you. As another longtime "fan" of Wind's posts, I can promise you she meant exactly what she said. As I understand her belief system, "knowing" what one "does not know" (such as why you are upset) is a very important step.

BarnGoddess said:
The picture in my link is the Dali Lama of the time. His spaniel is seated next to him. Check the link. And it is not a social gaffe. They were guests in your home. If I am a guest in someone's home and they sit on the floor and eat from low tables with chopsticks, then so will I.

Nova:

The photo that you show is not the Dalai Lama. I do not know what Lama your photo depicts, nor have I ever heard of that monastery. Your photo says it is from 1920.

Here is a portrait of the thirteenth Dalai Lama who was the Dalai Lama in 1920, the date of your photograph link.
http://images.rgs.org/imageDetails.aspx?barcode=31908

BarnGoddess:

http://answering-islam.org.uk/Silas/dogs.htm

This site discusses Mohammad's attitude toward dogs. Apparently he had something against them. Muslims who honor this attitude can use dogs for hunting or farming, but shun them otherwise. (No, the practice isn't universal, but it is quite widespread.)

The cabbies in question should find other jobs, IMHO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramada.williams.gc@gmail.
Back