Muslim woman cites gym after interrupted prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter Hamilton said:
--This is a Christian country, not a Muslim one---
Actually this is an American country. There is not requirement that you follow a specific religion-or even any religion at all. Just because the majority of Americans are Christian does not preclude the rights of those who practice another faith.

To me there isn't really enough info in the article to decide who's right or wrong-they didn't say what the circumstances were-if she were ticked because he was listening to his Walkman to loud while she was trying to pray that would be unreasonable but if say, he pulled her prayer rug out from under her and beat her with it-I would perhaps she had a grievance.

Maybe a chain needs to open to cater to people like her. Personally I think she needs a shrink.

CyberLaw said:
OMG, I can't believe the attitude of some people......

Everyone is free to practice their own religion in the USA.

This women prays 5 times a day.

So she was praying at the gym and another person decided to bully her, humiliate her, degrade her and interupt her.

Then she takes it to management, and he tells her that she has to repect others, but they don't have to respect her.

Let's reverse the situation. A person is Christian, they are praying, be it in a Gym or whereever. So a Jewish person interupts them, humiliates them, degrades them and interupts them.

Then the Christian goes to Management with his/her complaint, then he.she tells them well it is O.K. for them to do that to you, but you have to respect the Torah, but they do not have to respect the Bible.

How woud a Christian feel....it is called respect for the diversity of the USA and all of the different religions.
None of it is ok. If a bible beating christian went in there with that complaint they would be luaghed at.

Hmmm, an Arab living in Dearborn, MI, go figure! :rolleyes:

There are too many blanks that aren't being filled in here to draw a conclusion. It wouldn't surprise me if she was a practioner of the ulta conservative Wahhabism, which might make her more sensitive to such things and more likely to expect others to change their way to suit her. But it isn't clear why she couldn't pray. What did the person say to her? Was she praying on a machine at the time, or in the way of things? Was she being disruptive in her praying? And yes, why doesn't she just not work out during prayer time? Like I said, far too many blanks need to be filled first. I certainly don't think anyone should ever be harassed, if that's what happened, in a gym or other public place. But the gym is private property, too. *shrugs* Hard to say if she even has a legal case.

beakiebean said:
To me there isn't really enough info in the article to decide who's right or wrong-they didn't say what the circumstances were-if she were ticked because he was listening to his Walkman to loud while she was trying to pray that would be unreasonable but if say, he pulled her prayer rug out from under her and beat her with it-I would perhaps she had a grievance.

Voila! The voice of reason. Thanks, beakie and Dark Knight (who wrote a similar post).

2sisters said:
The term I used earlier "biblebeater" I think may be offensve, so I want to apologize for using it. I couldn't come up with a better word, perhaps I should have said devout christian. Anyhoo,:blushing: apologies all around.
Here is a blurb about it, it seems she was in the locker room and it offended another patron.

http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_5192007,00.html

Thanks, 2. I can't say I'm impressed with that gym manager, and I wouldn't have complained unless the woman was clearly obstructing use of the facilities.

And in fairness to the woman, it appears she may have been trying to find a place where her worship wouldn't be too intrusive. She used the locker room, not the bench press. (Since Muslims are called to prayer 5 times a day, I can understand it may not always be possible to be home at those times.)

But I'm still not sure one has a constitutional right to pray on somebody else's private property.

2sisters said:
I am not touching this one.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061205/LIFESTYLE04/612050368
DEARBORN -- Fitness USA, a gym chain, is investigating an alleged civil rights violation involving a local Muslim woman who says her afternoon prayer was interrupted by a fellow patron, and that her complaint to management about the situation was rejected.

"The manager told me, 'You have to respect her (the patron), but she does not have to respect your God,' " said Wardeh Sultan of Dearborn. "I've had my membership for seven or eight years, and I've never had a problem with praying there.

".. the recent spate of conflicts results from a growing intolerance of Islam and a growing restiveness among Muslims that their rights to speak freely and worship are increasingly at risk.

"They (Muslims) are resenting that they are to be suppressed from expressing themselves freely, like others," Hamad said.

Interesting. How long do you think a Christian missionary would last in Saudia Arabia?

Peter Hamilton said:
I'm not sure what upset her either--but it's wrong for the manager to make that follow-up statement to her after she complained, IF he actually said that--But this looks like more whining by the Muslims--If they feel they have to pray five times a day in public,they have to expect a little flak now and then--This is a Christian country, not a Muslim one---I can just imagine us Christians in Pakistan or Iraq or Saudi Arabia walking around with a big cross and praying to our God 5 times a day in public over there--think the result would be more than just a little flak

Sorry. This is not a "Christian Country." We are not a theocracy.

californiacarrie said:
I did a little research and it sounds like there may have been an undertow of riff in that particular chain of gyms stemming from a decision made in October (it is mentioned in the above article). Apparantly a Muslim woman demanded a seperate, private work out area for women because in their culture, it goes against the religion for a man to see a woman dressed in workout clothing. She started a petition and won and from what I read, it was a fairly unpopular decision.

My gym has a woman's only workout area but it is not so secluded that a man cannot see into it.

Perhaps she should have just joined a woman's gym. There are several different chains that are available.

If I saw a Muslim woman praying in a gym I'd just be respectful and go about my business. I know they must pray 5 times a day and it would be hard to be in your home at each time.

CyberLaw said:
OMG, I can't believe the attitude of some people......

Everyone is free to practice their own religion in the USA.

This women prays 5 times a day.

So she was praying at the gym and another person decided to bully her, humiliate her, degrade her and interupt her.

Then she takes it to management, and he tells her that she has to repect others, but they don't have to respect her.

Let's reverse the situation. A person is Christian, they are praying, be it in a Gym or whereever. So a Jewish person interupts them, humiliates them, degrades them and interupts them.

Then the Christian goes to Management with his/her complaint, then he.she tells them well it is O.K. for them to do that to you, but you have to respect the Torah, but they do not have to respect the Bible.

How woud a Christian feel....it is called respect for the diversity of the USA and all of the different religions.

Lol.. you're reading into the situation a bit. :banghead:

Boyzmomee said:
Sorry. This is not a "Christian Country." We are not a theocracy.
Sorry, but I think you'll find it is lol, Americans are crazy about Christianity...

narlacat said:
Sorry, but I think you'll find it is lol, Americans are crazy about Christianity...

Sorry, I don't. I am not Christian, I live in the US and was born here. The United States is not a theocracy. Perhaps some time spent in Iran might enlighten you?

Boyzmomee said:
Sorry, I don't. I am not Christian, I live in the US and was born here. The United States is not a theocracy. Perhaps some time spent in Iran might enlighten you?
Just going on the stats Boyz.

Thanks but no thanks :p

Boyzmomee said:
Interesting. How long do you think a Christian missionary would last in Saudia Arabia?

There are Christian missionaries in the Middle East, but I see your point.

However, aren't we supposed to be better than they are?

(ETA: Nevermind, Boyz. I read the rest of your posts.)

2 sisters thanks for the link! I don't see why someone couldnt pray anywhere they wanted to, private property or not, as long as they weren't being disruptive (ie:chanting and dancing or something) and I don't see how prayer in a locker room could be offensive to anyone. Now if she was getting in the other persons face, or demanding complete silence, or even if she was belittling other religions outloud, then I can see a problem but if she was just bowing in silent prayer then what's the problem?

Not to mention that the Muslims believe in one God - the Muslim God is the same as the Christian God. The difference is in the practice, not the belief. God and Jesus and all the prophets are all the same to the Muslims, they just choose to emphasize earlier parts of the bible, and not place so much emphasis on Jesus himself.

It looks to me like she was looking for problems. A gym is a place where people go to work out and relax. There are other places she could pray, or she could schedule her workout at another time. It isn't fair to expect others who are paying to go there for the purposes of the exercise, to have to stop for prayer if that is what she expected. There are many things that may be appropriate in one place but not in others.

Absolutely nothing I've read says she asked anyone else to stop for prayer, or make any kind of sacrafice. It sounds to me like she was just praying by herself. Many Christian people will stop and say a prayer before certain activities, whats wrong with that?

californiacarrie said:
Absolutely nothing I've read says she asked anyone else to stop for prayer, or make any kind of sacrafice. It sounds to me like she was just praying by herself. Many Christian people will stop and say a prayer before certain activities, whats wrong with that?

First of all, Christians get plenty of funny looks and less than polite comments in public just for joining hands in silent prayer in a restaurant. Forget laying on the floor and chanting where people are walking. The fact that someone complains really makes me wonder how quiet and out of the way this activity was. If you were just sitting quietly, how would anyone know what you were doing?

And while gym manager can't force people to respect others' religion, he can require that they behave respectfully towards one another or resign their membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther