Muslim woman cites gym after interrupted prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Annie said:
It looks to me like she was looking for problems. A gym is a place where people go to work out and relax. There are other places she could pray, or she could schedule her workout at another time. It isn't fair to expect others who are paying to go there for the purposes of the exercise, to have to stop for prayer if that is what she expected. There are many things that may be appropriate in one place but not in others.
Exactly.....theres a time and PLACE for everything....

Nova said:
Well, whether or not we like, the doctrine of free speech allows people to pray. But that's not the same as requiring that anybody else change his behavior to accommodate that prayer.
:clap: :clap: So well said, Nova!!

If she was told she couldn't pray there - I can't say I'm wild about that, but at the same time - private business, they can say what members can and cannot do. And saying that members must respect each other, but don't need to respect each other's religion seems evenhanded to me, so long as he'd say the same if someone was doing a christian prayer and another patron found it offensive, intrusive or distracting. No one does have to respect another's god, IMHO. But it's nice if you can respect the person at the least, even if you think their belief in pink fluffy fairies is dumb. I'd generally respect another person, while not respecting their religion, by ignoring any prayer, but if it was in my way or in my face, I might need to complain about it.

Obviously we don't know enough details. Was the praying obstructing regular use of the facilities? Something about the purported statement (You have to respect the patron, he doesn't have to respect your God) makes it sound as if the Muslim woman expected some sort of extra accommodation for her worship. If so (and I'm saying "if"), I'm not sure the gym has a responsibility to do that.

narlacat said:
This is ridiculous.

It's a gym!!

If she wants to pray, all well and good but why do it when you are at a gym, you are there for exercise not to pray!
Why doesn't she pray at home...or before she goes to the gym?
I have to agree, a gym seems a bizarre place to formally pray...:rolleyes:

There's a certain time of day a lot of cab drivers pull over to the side of the road, pull out a prayer rug, and kneel down to pray. No biggie.

The nice thing about a multi-culti country is you can always get someone to work for you on Christmas! :D

According to Jodi Berry, executive director of Fitness USA, Wardeh Sultan was praying in front of another member’s locker when the member wanted access to her belongings inside the locker. The inconvenienced patron tried to interrupt Ms. Sultan, but she remained prostrate in front of the locker and an altercation ensued. A manager was called into the locker room to intervene.

Ms. Sultan later complained that the Fitness USA management was unconcerned about the humiliation she suffered when her prayers were interrupted. She stated that the gym personnel were insensitive, rejected her complaints and did not satisfactorily intervene on her behalf. Ms. Sultan further reported that the manager told her, “You have to respect her (the other patron), but she does not have to respect your god.”

Click

Karole28 said:
According to Jodi Berry, executive director of Fitness USA, Wardeh Sultan was praying in front of another member’s locker when the member wanted access to her belongings inside the locker. The inconvenienced patron tried to interrupt Ms. Sultan, but she remained prostrate in front of the locker and an altercation ensued. A manager was called into the locker room to intervene.

Ms. Sultan later complained that the Fitness USA management was unconcerned about the humiliation she suffered when her prayers were interrupted. She stated that the gym personnel were insensitive, rejected her complaints and did not satisfactorily intervene on her behalf. Ms. Sultan further reported that the manager told her, “You have to respect her (the other patron), but she does not have to respect your god.”

Click
thanks for the link Karole, I think this clears the air in here. She was putting other people out by her praying. She could do it elsewhere or in home. i am gettign tired of all this muslin whining. Of course you are getting different treatment in the airport, we are scared of you! You blow up planes and people to get to heaven.

2sisters said:
thanks for the link Karole, I think this clears the air in here. She was putting other people out by her praying. She could do it elsewhere or in home. i am gettign tired of all this muslin whining. Of course you are getting different treatment in the airport, we are scared of you! You blow up planes and people to get to heaven.

I think it's very telling that she felt humiliated by the other patron wanting to get her things out of her locker. Like you, I'm getting very weary of hearing about these kinds of incidents.

Karole28 said:

Click

Thank you for the link, Karole. It makes the situation clearer. When I read the second link, I was on the side of the Muslim woman. The article made it sound as if she was just praying in the locker room and someone complained. It did not state that she was obstructing other patrons and the use of the facilities they paid for.

I do have to say the article seems like it might be biased though. It starts off with the details of the incident, but then goes on an anti-Muslim rant. I did find myself agreeing with this part though:

"If a Muslim woman decides to spontaneously pray between the bench press and the treadmill are non-Muslims expected to alter their circuit in order not to disturb her? What if Muslims decide that they are uncomfortable with the immodest attire of non-Muslims exercising around them? Will they eventually demand that all gym participants dress according to a standard that they establish as appropriate? Once a Muslim-approved standard of dress is observed in the gym, would it be extended to cover shopping malls, post offices, other community locations and eventually an entire region?"

As I said with the other gym incident (the grunting), where do you draw the line? It's a sticky situation because if you start making exclusive clubs so people may observe their cultural or religious traditions, then you are further segregating and dividing people. If you constantly expect the majority to bend to the needs of a few, however, you are going to alienate people and breed discontent and hatred.

Karole28 said:
I think it's very telling that she felt humiliated by the other patron wanting to get her things out of her locker. Like you, I'm getting very weary of hearing about these kinds of incidents.
It is ridiculous and the other parton may have been on her lunch break, or had to be somewhere at a certain time and didn't have time to mess with this woman. My sister used her lunch hour to go to a spinning class so when it's time to go it's time to go. Like one poster said, it's part one of a takeover.

Melisinde said:
I do have to say the article seems like it might be biased though. It starts off with the details of the incident, but then goes on an anti-Muslim rant.

I don't see where it's anti-Muslim. I believe the writer would feel the same way if it were any other religion demanding special treatment.

BarnGoddess said:
Step 1 of the takeover of the US by Islam?

To expound a little on BG's input. What if the 6 imams who were asked to leave the plane recently, combined with little incidents such as this one actually are part of a larger plot to lessen our (American's) impetus to to speak out against minor inconveniences? Would YOU feel comfortable now complaining that a woman wearing a hijab was prostrate in front of your locker and was prohibiting you from getting your clothes on and going about your way? Knowing you'd be having to confront an entire religion via TV? Knowing that you'd be a spectacle?

Would you feel comfortable complaining because 6 middle eastern men were loudly shouting Allah Ak'bhar on your flight? Would you want to be the person branded anti-Muslim?

Or, would you sit quietly and wait for it to subside while your plane is flown into a mountain?

Is this part of a bigger plan?

Karole28 said:
To expound a little on BG's input. What if the 6 imams who were asked to leave the plane recently, combined with little incidents such as this one actually are part of a larger plot to lessen our (American's) impetus to to speak out against minor inconveniences? Would YOU feel comfortable now complaining that a woman wearing a hijab was prostrate in front of your locker and was prohibiting you from getting your clothes on and going about your way? Knowing you'd be having to confront an entire religion via TV? Knowing that you'd be a spectacle?

Would you feel comfortable complaining because 6 middle eastern men were loudly shouting Allah Ak'bhar on your flight? Would you want to be the person branded anti-Muslim?

Or, would you sit quietly and wait for it to subside while your plane is flown into a mountain?

I would have no problem speaking up or just exiting the plane. Sadly, I do not even feel comfortable on a plane with muslims anymore. Call me racist if you wish but who has been blowing up planes, shopping areas, buildings, cars, etc in the name if this so called paeaceful religion? i know other people commit acts of terrorism, like Timothy McVeigh, but I subscibe to the belief that he was invovlved with muslims.

2sisters said:
i know other people commit acts of terrorism, like Timothy McVeigh, but I subscibe to the belief that he was invovlved with muslims.

A lot of people believe this. I believe they linked him to Islam via his wife.

Karole28 said:

Hey Karole. :) I wouldn't feel comfortable. However, if the woman were in front of my locker, I would politely ask her to move if I had to get to work or to be somewhere at a certain time. I would apologize and explain my situation. If that didn't work, I'd go to management.

I would also say something to the flight attendant on a plane. I tend to be claustrophobic and would probably be quite concerned with Middle Eastern men causing a disturbance on a plane.

Call me an "ugly American" if you want. However, I have rights, too.

2sisters said:
I would have no problem speaking up or just exiting the plane. Sadly, I do not even feel comfortable on a plane with muslims anymore. Call me racist if you wish but who has been blowing up planes, shopping areas, buildings, cars, etc in the name if this so called paeaceful religion? i know other people commit acts of terrorism, like Timothy McVeigh, but I subscibe to the belief that he was invovlved with muslims.
I don't think that you are racist. Your instinct is perfectly natural. I believe that we all need to be vigilant in this day and age. I check out everyone boarding the same plane as I. Call me paranoid. ;)

nanandjim said:
Hey Karole. :) I wouldn't feel comfortable. However, if the woman were in front of my locker, I would politely ask her to move if I had to get to work or to be somewhere at a certain time. I would apologize and explain my situation. If that didn't work, I'd go to management.

I would also say something to the flight attendant on a plane. I tend to be claustrophobic and would probably be quite concerned with Middle Eastern men causing a disturbance on a plane.

Call me an "ugly American" if you want. However, I have rights, too.

Hey You! Merry Christmas!

Exactly my thoughts. It appears that this woman asked the other to move, and she wouldn't cease praying, so things got a bit ugly (to what extent, I don't know).

And, of course, I'm claustrophobic as well (as well as blowing-up-in-a-plane-phobic) so, I can definitely see myself saying something if I weren't comfortable flying with anyone. And, I do mean, anyone.
Of course, you have the right to disembark if you're uncomfortable and take a different flight, but what do you do when the ENTIRE plane-load of passengers is uncomfortable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82