Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, my question is where do we go from here? We more or less have figured out what the victims were like. We also are missing things like sightings of their car or a carjacker (or suspicious car) following them. We're more or less at a roadblock here..

Unfortunately, the things you have figured out about Pamela and James don't resonate with me. I don't think we know anything about them really. Yes, they appeared to be clean cut. There was no evidence of drugs in their system. There was no evidence that Pamela was sexually assaulted. There's no evidence they had sex before their demise. There's no evidence a cartel assassinated them. There's no evidence they picked up a hitcher or they got in a vehicle with their murderer. Basically, we know jacks**t.

Speculation is one thing, but taking a theory and running with it is how investigations go off track. This case is so old that speculation has been printed as fact in some newspapers, ie, the hermit actually saw the murders. That is not true, yet I've seen it printed that way.

About the only thing we do know is that an individual pulled over for DUI four months later had the weapon that matched the ballistics of the bullets that killed them and yet was let go for lack of evidence.

I'll tell you what I think so far:

Murder for hire
Victims killed elsewhere
The shots used as diversion
Everything leading to their identity removed: the one who hired the hitman didn't want to be tied to Pam and James.

IMO, they would not have looked as immaculate as they did had they been travelled while deceased with all those bullet wounds.

I think the witness to the gunshots was also a hearing witness to their deaths occurring at the scene where they were located.

If the family members reported them missing around Christmas 1975 how would they know what their plans were?
IMO it isn't confirmed that both were reported missing in Dec 1975. Those are the dates in Namus of their last confirmed sightings, but there's no indication that families immediately launched missing persons investigations, that is just being assumed.

In fact: "Deputies noted that it did not seem Freund was reported missing at all."
https://lawandcrime.com/crime/deputies-identify-gunshot-victims-in-1976-south-carolina-cold-case/

The problem with the idea that they were coming off the interstate is that there is not an exit there. County Road 43-62 goes over Interstate 95, but there are no ramps.

There is an I-95 exit ramp near the north side but not the south side of Locklair. I will link directly to Google Maps Street View near the end of the exit ramp. When I visited in late October 2019 I checked my odometer carefully when I reached the end of the exit ramp. It was almost exactly 3/4 of a mile from that point to the intersection of Locklair Road. But it is not direct. You have to turn right on 341 for a brief stretch, then turn right on Old St. John Church Road. That road leads past a house on the right. The house is not easily visible. There are tall trees at right, just prior. But you can see the driveway then rotate the Google Maps viewfinder right to see the home. I have always believed the occupants of that home must have heard the shots. Then a few hundred yards beyond the house is dirt road Locklair Road which is sometimes called Locklear Road, including on Google Maps...even though the street sign says Locklair.

Anyone can do this. It is the best way to envision the route from I-95 to the Locklair Road intersection. I suggest 40 or 50 yards at a time, then shorter when you reach a required turn. Move the cursor forward on the screen while trying to stay as close as possible to the center of the road. Then click. That enables you to advance down the road. You will see the arrow indicating the direction you are headed. If you aim sideways Google Maps will take you sideways. But if you get out of sorts then drag the map back to the road and begin advancing again. When you come to the turns at 341, then Old St. John Church Road, then Locklair Road, try to advance to center of the intersection and stop. Then drag the screen 90 degrees to allow advancing down the center of the new road. Unfortunately Locklair Road can only be advanced partially, perhaps 100 yards. That is basically the area I filmed the video for YouTube. But look ahead to the middle of the cleared farming field, somewhere near the the old power pole just left of Locklair. That is apparently the general area where these murders occurred. BTW, the cursor will only advance on Locklair if you approach from the near side, for whatever reason. If you go too far and then try to turn around and go left, the cursor won't advance down Locklair to allow a straight ahead view. If that happens retreat to the near side and then swivel right on Locklair. That will enable advancing the cursor:

Google Maps

IMO, they would not have looked as immaculate as they did had they been travelled while deceased with all those bullet wounds.

I think the witness to the gunshots was also a hearing witness to their deaths occurring at the scene where they were located.
I also think it's unlikely that someone would dump murdered bodies in the cover of night then pointlessly shoot for attention.

I still think my theory that the killer might have committed more murders in 1977 in Columbia is worth pursuing. He was executed for these murders.

Seems to me they relied far too much on the lie detector test. LE would never do that today.

There was also ballistics evidence. He was in possession of the same gun used in the murders. He had tried to file the numbers off the gun. LE wasn't sure if he did it or if he knew the person who did and had first person knowledge of the murder.

I've stumbled down several music-related blasts from the past since the info about Sunlending. From Mary Macgregor, Peter Yarrow (Peter, Paul & Mary), Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. (better known as John Denver), to Starland Vocal Band (Afternoon Delight singers, lol) ... each one of these led to another. I haven't found Pamela listed on any recordings but backup singers were almost never mentioned during that time period. (We still wouldn't know some of them if they hadn't gone on to solo careers themselves.)

I hope those more knowledgeable will have additional info regarding any groups, bands, other artists Pam might have joined.

It would be wonderful if someone could unearth a recording of Pam's from that time. To hear her voice.

And no one is ruling out hitch-hiking based solely on the shoes. They're fine for wearing if one is hitching a quick ride from home to work/concert etc.

Rather, in this case, it's considered in combination with all the other knowns:

Well-groomed;
well-dressed in clean clothes;
freshly showered;
no other clothing/hygiene items found with them; and
so far from home.

No change of clothes with them, no toiletries, no nada and no-one in the wider-local area having confirmed contact with them or having put them up.

They ate and showered somewhere. They either travelled with someone in a perps vehicle to their execution site or executioner travelled with them in a vehicle belonging to Pam or Jim to their execution site then disappeared with their possessions and ID afterwards.

It's just really hard to believe that they were simply hitch-hiking and galivanting across the US of A without those hygiene items - or access to them given the very state of condition they were found in miles from home and in the middle of nowhere.

Were they staying with at a residence in the general area with someone who turned on them (unknown to anybody else)? Were they actually staying somewhere like Myrtle Beach and driven all the way to their execution site for expressly that purpose of dumping them there and far away? How would one be connected with them in such a manner that they would willingly undertake such a jaunt - on what ruse? Ergo no confirmed reports of them being seen?

Was that actually them in the campground and they left there in a vehicle with someone else ergo they showered etc there? It'd be interesting to know whether the guy who may have had the sighting of them at the campground or fruit-stand ever gave a description of what they were wearing that day - if both of them gave descriptions of clothing: did they match each other? Did they match the clothing Pam and Jim were found in?
I agree, it seems to me there's no motive if they were hitch-hikers, since there was no sexual assault. In that case, stealing their vehicle seems a more likely motive.

Sorry for my many postings. I have enjoyed reading other people’s post about this case and other cases. It might be best to let them Rest In Peace and let law enforcement handle the rest.

I’m so exhausted and irritated at this point.

The folk trio “Sunlending” played mostly in Minnesota, but also spent about a week in South Dakota, New Mexico and Colorado, at separate times. This was all between 1970 and 1972. Around 1977 is when newspaper articles started to spike...it was about a Mary MacGregor, who by most accounts became apart of Sunlending in 1974. I’m not sure if she replaced Pam or joined along side her. It may not make a difference, but could speak to when Pam left the trio.

Interestingly, Mary was born and raised in Minnesota and about the same age as Pam. She was 28 in 1977. Also, in 1977, Mary’s place of residence is listed as Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

7 May 1977, 22 - The Tribune at Newspapers.com

Would that be the Mary McGregor that sang Torn Between Two Lovers?

Re my previous post let me paste the Google Maps Street View from Locklair. This is as far as you can go. The section near the power pole is apparently the general area where these murders occurred, at least according to one account I read about 6 months ago from a source who seemed to know what he was talking about. Topography has changed drastically over 45 years. There would have been trees on both sides of the road in 1976. Now it has given way to farmland. Also note the tire impressions in the dirt. No doubt similar to what was collected in 1976:

Google Maps

There is an I-95 exit ramp near the north side but not the south side of Locklair. I will link directly to Google Maps Street View near the end of the exit ramp. When I visited in late October 2019 I checked my odometer carefully when I reached the end of the exit ramp. It was almost exactly 3/4 of a mile from that point to the intersection of Locklair Road. But it is not direct. You have to turn right on 341 for a brief stretch, then turn right on Old St. John Church Road. That road leads past a house on the right. The house is not easily visible. There are tall trees at right, just prior. But you can see the driveway then rotate the Google Maps viewfinder right to see the home. I have always believed the occupants of that home must have heard the shots. Then a few hundred yards beyond the house is dirt road Locklair Road which is sometimes called Locklear Road, including on Google Maps...even though the street sign says Locklair.

Anyone can do this. It is the best way to envision the route from I-95 to the Locklair Road intersection. I suggest 40 or 50 yards at a time, then shorter when you reach a required turn. Move the cursor forward on the screen while trying to stay as close as possible to the center of the road. Then click. That enables you to advance down the road. You will see the arrow indicating the direction you are headed. If you aim sideways Google Maps will take you sideways. But if you get out of sorts then drag the map back to the road and begin advancing again. When you come to the turns at 341, then Old St. John Church Road, then Locklair Road, try to advance to center of the intersection and stop. Then drag the screen 90 degrees to allow advancing down the center of the new road. Unfortunately Locklair Road can only be advanced partially, perhaps 100 yards. That is basically the area I filmed the video for YouTube. But look ahead to the middle of the cleared farming field, somewhere near the the old power pole just left of Locklair. That is apparently the general area where these murders occurred. BTW, the cursor will only advance on Locklair if you approach from the near side, for whatever reason. If you go too far and then try to turn around and go left, the cursor won't advance down Locklair to allow a straight ahead view. If that happens retreat to the near side and then swivel right on Locklair. That will enable advancing the cursor:

Google Maps

That is a long ways from the interstate down some narrow blacktops. In the very first thread, there was talk about the trucker who discovered the bodies being the one who did it. What in the hell was he doing out there with his rig down some narrow lane in rural SC?

That is a long ways from the interstate down some narrow blacktops. In the very first thread, there was talk about the trucker who discovered the bodies being the one who did it. What in the hell was he doing out there with his rig down some narrow lane in rural SC?

It’s really not that far from the interstate at all. 5 minutes at most, probably less. I suspect the trucker was looking for a place to rest. Truck stops don’t have enough space to accommodate all the truckers so often they will go down small roads close to the interstate to sleep or rest a little.

One thing I really wonder about is how Pam ended up with the Southwestern costume jewelry. Colorado is not southwestern, but there is another link that could explain it. Like I said earlier, Pam spent July of 1971 in New Mexico playing gigs for Sunlending. She could've gotten the costume jewelry while down in New Mexico, possibly. o_O
IMO

Colorado has some strong links to the southwest. They do sell a lot of southwestern jewelry there, especially in southern Colorado.

Yes. We're really showing our knowledge of the 70's, right? It seems like the folk singing community back then was pretty cohesive. I had that impression when I read John Denver's autobiography some years ago. He was still in touch with all the other folk musicians, they all switched back and forth in different groups. Hung out together. Mary's hit song was written by Peter Yarrow.

Hey, I've been following this case for a couple of years now and I'm happy to be able to contribute my very first post on this site of what I have found.

I found an un-dated Promotional Photo for the band Sunlending (the bottom of the photo is curled, but it says Sunlending) showing Johny Daly, rocking a Beatles fringed hair-do and wearing the same style circle framed glasses as in the only other band photo I have seen.

Now this is the part I'm unsure of:

The female in the picture, who I'm assuming is Pamela, has her hair similar also to the other band photo where it's parted in the middle and with the front bangs tucked under to the side of her face. On her index finger you can see some sort of elongated ring that she is wearing, which I would imagine to be one of the 3 rings when they found her body and as seen in the evidence photos.

Absent from the photo is Anthony Matthews the third band member, who died in a hang-gliding accident on August 1st 1975, so I would assume this photo was taken between then and until December 1975 of that year when Pamela disappears from Colorado Springs, CO.

I read a post in another thread from user fred&edna who found an article from: Volume LIV, Number 7, Alabamian - University of Montevallo - January 26, 1977

Where it stated that another female singer named Mary MacGregor, at some point being the lead singer for Sunlending:

"Mary Macgregor was born and raised in St. Paul, Minnesota, and completed her early musical training with ten years of classical piano and theory, two years of vocal training and one year on the violin. During high school and college she sang and played in a fourteen-piece dance band and then worked as a folk singer around the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Later she sang, danced, and played electric piano, organ, and electric bass in R&B and folk-rock bands, winding up as the lead singer in a country-rock band called Sunlending. Mary is now working on her own, commuting from her home which is 35 miles from civilization in the mountains near Steamboat Springs, Colorado."

But I can't imagine this being her, as she appears to always be rocking the Farrah Fawcett bangs blowout hair-do and I can't find any picture or video of her with straight hair or no bangs covering her face, but then again look at Johny Daly and his completely different hairstyle looks. The only thing I can vision this to be her would be the fact that the article matches up to her being able to play an electrical bass guitar and the female in the picture is playing a guitar.

And after scouring through Mary's wikipedia page, it mentions that after graduating from the University of Minnesota, she toured the country with various acts, but no where on there does it mention that she replaced or that she was the lead singer of Sunlending at some point.

What do you guys think ? I created a collage of Pamela where you can see her hair darker and eyebrows more visible compared to the washed-out newspaper clipping. And I enhanced the rings evidence photo that Unsolved Mysteries aired and rotated the middle coral & turquoise ring to be vertical to match up with the index finger wearing the elongated ring.

Great post but that's not John Daly. The guy with the rimmed glasses is Anthony Matthews. Here is a screen capture from one of the tribute articles after he died:

imgur.com

Much older so appearance has changed quite a bit but I believe John Daly is the guy at right in this photo from 2013. He is mentioned in the text. Credit to @fred&edna for pointing out the articles with connection to Vic Monaco:

Bensalem's Stealin' the Covers Band Debuts

Somehow it seems it was easier to get odd jobs back then. You could walk into a hotel or any kind of farm and ask if they needed help. Many of our Does actually worked in odd jobs like working at fairs, hotels, agriculture etc...
Or they both could have saved up some money (she may have saved a lot of money from her gigs and probably she also worked before she left) and he was 30 and had a very settled life and it seems also some means (clothing, dental work, jewelry), he must have had a well paying job before he hit the road.
Really, in the 1970s, many people after personal crisis or before life changing decisions (e.g. after college) went on the road for a year to see the world. It was at least in Europe super common to save enough to be able to after graduation (at 19) travel through Europe for a year with interrail (they had very cheap all access tickets for all major European trains).
The American equivalent was either hitchhiking or traveling across America in your own car or camper. I believe they had a camper, evidence at the scene points to it.
I dont think they were drug mules or involved into anything drugs (no evidence at all).
Just a young couple or two friends hitting the road for a beautiful summer of freedom before a new chapter in their life. Tbh, i would totally do that, too, if I could.

Somehow you can sense how happy and carefree they must have been... nice and summery clothing, both were tan and she didnt care about shaving her legs because she felt so comfortable.

And how many of you still have regular contact with your ex-es? And back then, if a child was in the picture, the sole custody normally always went to the mom (unless she was incapable for some severe reason). Shared custody/regular visitation rights are a fairly modern arrangement.

I totally agree with you about the relationship between exes. I was separated from my ex for years and years. We married young and grew apart. We still call each other when we reach milestone birthdays! Our daughter lived with me and at no time was there a formal agreement for him to pay childcare. He bought her boots and a new winter coat every year. And took her out to the movies. He moved in with his parents and never had to worry about a babysitter when she went to visit. I don't think of my ex as a dead beat dad. He was in her life but he never paid support because it wasn't a thing back then.

I also agree about the casual attitude toward traveling without a plan. Norms were being broken all the time. People quit their jobs and went on adventures. They didn't think about 401k's or the future. Hitchhiking was considered normal. If women knew then what they know now, about how many women were raped and murdered hitchhiking they never would have done it. I had a friend who was supposed to be in Europe doing the grand tour when they disappeared. They were in prison in India for nearly 8 years. Take a wild guess why.

I can see two ways that they ended up on that side road: hitch hiking or hijacked. Both mean they lost their stuff and wallets/identification. I read that the side road was best known to locals and truckers.

The gun, serial number filed down, was found locally, not enough evidence. The murderer is most likely someone who was local in 1976. Can the victims be connected in any way to the person with the gun? Did the gun owner drive a tow truck, taxi, deal with the public?

They went missing somewhere between 1960s rock n roll, 1970s disco, 1980s punk. Their jewellery and clothing style should have been helpful with identifying them, but it wasn't. It doesn't tell us anything about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant