N.C. Teenager Kills Himself After Threatening Fellow High School Students at Gunpoint

:confused: Why is right. I feel sorry for his family but I too am glad that he didn't harm others.

This is another time when Australia could lead America :dance:

My prayers to the family, thank god he did not take anyone else with him is right. It is hard to deal with one death, let alone more.

Guns are not the issue. It takes a human to aim and pull a trigger. If someone wanted to kill themself, they would find a way regardless. Also take into context that America is bigger geographically than Australia. More people, more crime. If guns were banned, the sickos would think of other horrid ways to kill people. Lord help them, they already do.
Proper gun training and respect for the firearm help alot.

My prayers to the family, thank god he did not take anyone else with him is right. It is hard to deal with one death, let alone more.

Guns are not the issue. It takes a human to aim and pull a trigger. If someone wanted to kill themself, they would find a way regardless. Also take into context that America is bigger geographically than Australia. More people, more crime. If guns were banned, the sickos would think of other horrid ways to kill people. Lord help them, they already do.
Proper gun training and respect for the firearm help alot.

In the last say two weeks in America-

Virginia tech guy killed 32 people with a gun

NASA guy killed a co worker then himself with a gun

This guy killed himself with a gun

Not giving them to just anyone might help too.

Yeah, while the rest of the world is sending condolences, the Aussie PM and the Green party are trying to score political points at home by talking about our alleged "gun culture" the very same day as the shootings! :doh: So much for tact.

Yeah, while the rest of the world is sending condolences, the Aussie PM and the Green party are trying to score political points at home by talking about our alleged "gun culture" the very same day as the shootings! :doh: So much for tact.

Lil Johnny is not exactly known for his tact DK- he's a right goose

But you are wrong- he did send his condolences on behalf of our country- him and GW are like this *crosses fingers
-and there's no way he wouldn't have taken this opportunity to suck further up GW's butt-

In the last say two weeks in America-

Virginia tech guy killed 32 people with a gun

NASA guy killed a co worker then himself with a gun

This guy killed himself with a gun

Not giving them to just anyone might help too.

It's easy to say when your country is an island with only 20 million people on it. It's impossible to keep guns away from lawbreakers in a landlocked country of over 300 million people (not counting immigrants, travelers, etc.)

It's easy to say when your country is an island with only 20 million people on it. It's impossible to keep guns away from lawbreakers in a landlocked country of over 300 million people (not counting immigrants, travelers, etc.)

Nothing is impossible DK- come on where's your fighting spirit :slap:

Your country needs to do something- I really don't know what the answer is but I'd say not giving them to just anyone might be a good start-

Nothing is impossible DK- come on where's your fighting spirit :slap:

Your country needs to do something- I really don't know what the answer is but I'd say not giving them to just anyone might be a good start-

Drugs are illegal and we can't keep those out of people's hands for the same reasons. The black market is just too huge. So we have to let the law abiding citizens be able to defend themselves.

Guns were banned on the Virginia Tech campus, BTW. Lot of good that did them. All it did was ensure the shooter wouldn't face any opposition.

Drugs are illegal and we can't keep those out of people's hands for the same reasons. The black market is just too huge. So we have to let the law abiding citizens be able to defend themselves.

Guns were banned on the Virginia Tech campus, BTW. Lot of good that did them. All it did was ensure the shooter wouldn't face any opposition.

I didn't say anything about banning them DK, where'd I say that??? lol

What I said was- maybe not giving them to just anyone would be a good place to start- it is just too easy to get a gun in America-

I didn't say anything about banning them DK, where'd I say that??? lol

What I said was- maybe not giving them to just anyone would be a good place to start- it is just too easy to get a gun in America-

Narlacat, I am in full agreement with you. It is nothing personal or against an individual American- but the laws are so easy going and loose, just about anyone can get a gun. I am frustrated a bit when some say "what can we do, or there are so many people, that is not a fair comment etc....- but "me thinks they do protest too much"---- noone is blaming them for these tragedies but if people were to look at the statistics, population based and all..it is clear that the laws need to be re-examined..and those who think everyone is entitled to bear arms...WHY? Oh my GOD, WHY? Resolutions have been made for year's without guns...all they do is make one person win over the other...I mean really, who argues with death staring at you in the face? There isn't even a cooling off period for purchasing a gun...wow!

The mental health system is another one that needs to be examined...and in more country's than America!! Believe me, the world watches the good ole US of A and takes its lessons from them- we have to address situations like this not only seriously but with disassociation. A clear, factual, unbaised guidance is necessary if we are to ward off future evil acts like these...

I just wish people would stop trying to defend their laws and start speaking up- tell the "powers that be" how you feel and that something needs to be done to prevent any future tragedies...instead of defending a system that is clearly falling short of the mark- that truly will be a heroistic response and a step in the right direction, sigh!

OK, stepping off my soap box now- but will add a final comment to say that we only have one go around here, and one chance to make things right- so please, do what YOU can do to make a difference, and hey, you never know, it might work!:dance:

Yes they were banned on the VT campus, DK but those who sold him the guns had no right to access his mental health records.....does that make sense??:hand:

Narlacat, I am in full agreement with you. It is nothing personal or against an individual American- but the laws are so easy going and loose, just about anyone can get a gun. I am frustrated a bit when some say "what can we do, or there are so many people, that is not a fair comment etc....- but "me thinks they do protest too much"---- noone is blaming them for these tragedies but if people were to look at the statistics, population based and all..it is clear that the laws need to be re-examined..and those who think everyone is entitled to bear arms...WHY? Oh my GOD, WHY? Resolutions have been made for year's without guns...all they do is make one person win over the other...I mean really, who argues with death staring at you in the face? There isn't even a cooling off period for purchasing a gun...wow!

The mental health system is another one that needs to be examined...and in more country's than America!! Believe me, the world watches the good ole US of A and takes its lessons from them- we have to address situations like this not only seriously but with disassociation. A clear, factual, unbaised guidance is necessary if we are to ward off future evil acts like these...

I just wish people would stop trying to defend their laws and start speaking up- tell the "powers that be" how you feel and that something needs to be done to prevent any future tragedies...instead of defending a system that is clearly falling short of the mark- that truly will be a heroistic response and a step in the right direction, sigh!

OK, stepping off my soap box now- but will add a final comment to say that we only have one go around here, and one chance to make things right- so please, do what YOU can do to make a difference, and hey, you never know, it might work!:dance:

My brother is a dean in an elementary school. Anyway, this week he had to have a 3rd grader arrested because he brought two knives to school and threatened to kill some kid because " he disrespected him".:doh:
The kid was taken to the precinct and then to a psych hospital for evaluation. The really sad thing is he'll be back at school with no counseling because his mom has no insurance and we have the
NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND LAW.

PATHETIC.

My brother is a dean in an elementary school. Anyway, this week he had to have a 3rd grader arrested because he brought two knives to school and threatened to kill some kid because " he disrespected him".:doh:
The kid was taken to the precinct and then to a psych hospital for evaluation. The really sad thing is he'll be back at school with no counseling because his mom has no insurance and we have the

PATHETIC.

That breaks my heart csds AND terrifies me...because he does not get the help he needs and "falls through the cracks", whose kids might be his victims next? Man o Man, when are the legal community and parents going to wake up? We need laws in place, we need money to care for, nuture, treat and believe it or not, sometimes cure these problems...but god forbid we take that money away from sports, culture, recreation, conferences, etc... sigh!:sick:

Hi Mimi
You are one of the few people that I have seen on TWS agreeing with me re: your gun laws.
I see lots of people saying 'oh what a tragedy' when someone shoots up a school or a Tech as the recent case might be- but I never see anyone here saying' why dont we change our gun laws' - or 'why don't we do something'- if nothing changes, nothing changes-
Anyway - good post-

PATHETIC.

Omg, third grade!

Scary-

Hi Mimi
You are one of the few people that I have seen on TWS agreeing with me re: your gun laws.
I see lots of people saying 'oh what a tragedy' when someone shoots up a school or a Tech as the recent case might be- but I never see anyone here saying' why dont we change our gun laws' - or 'why don't we do something'- if nothing changes, nothing changes-
Anyway - good post-

Hey Narla

The gun issue is not an easy fix. NY has pretty tough gun laws, but that doesn't mean you don't hear about gun related crimes.
Who would be able to own a gun? Cops, hunters, homeowners etc.
If you go the route of evaluating... who will do the evaluation..... a shrink, the store owner?
The NRA is very strong in this country. People want the right to defend their own property. For me, guns just scare me. I've never even seen one up close.
We know nothing will change over night, but that doesn't mean that most Americans aren't concerned about the senseless acts of violence.
The question about tougher gun laws keeps on popping up, and will probably continue to pop up throughout the next election.
For right now, our country is in mourning .

Hey Narla

The gun issue is not an easy fix. NY has pretty tough gun laws, but that doesn't mean you don't hear about gun related crimes.
Who would be able to own a gun? Cops, hunters, homeowners etc.
If you go the route of evaluating... who will do the evaluation..... a shrink, the store owner?
The NRA is very strong in this country. People want the right to defend their own property. For me, guns just scare me. I've never even seen one up close.
We know nothing will change over night, but that doesn't mean that most Americans aren't concerned about the senseless acts of violence.
The question about tougher gun laws keeps on popping up, and will probably continue to pop up throughout the next election.
For right now, our country is in mourning .

I posted on another thread that Mayor Bloomberg said the majority of illegal guns used in crimes in NYC come from Virginia. To me that is a huge problem. We can't have strict laws in place in one state when someone can drive to the next couple of states and bypass these restrictions.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back