Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point here is that IF THEY HAVE FORENSIC EVIDENCE from the home, it makes no difference whether anyone else was a focus of the investigation. It makes no sense that the prosecutor would need to say "we have blood, and bleach and a murder weapon at the house, and by the way, no one SAW her jogging". What difference would that make at all? To me, this indicates that they did NOT find what they were looking for in the home.
I was a little concerned about that when I heard LE say they doubted any arrests would be made this weekend. Huh?

ETA: IOW what they have may be circumstantial.

From the media thread:
CARY, North Carolina -- The family of a former Edmonton woman found slain near her North Carolina home plans to return to Canada this weekend with her children.
Nancy Cooper's family persuaded a court to grant them emergency custody of the couple's two young daughters after expressing concern about her husband.
Yesterday, they asked the culprit to speak up if the person has "a shred of decency."

If my expectations are unreasonable, then our Constitution and the statutes that support our presumption of innocence standard are unreasonable and should be amended and/or revised to ensure the presumption of innocence is not unnecessarily poisoned. A jury cannot reliably be expected to impartially judge circumstantial evidence if a severly poisoned jury pool has a point of view of guilty.

additionally it is possible to find juror unfamilar with the case. Not everyone watches TV. (I don't for instance) or follow the news. I wouldn't have followed this story at all if my attention hadn't been drawn to it by a friend of Nancy's asking for help to find nancy in an internet forum I frequent. It is the defense and prosecutions duty to find jurors like this with out prejudices. If they can not then a change of venue is in order.

Yes, I do. I know that, on a message board, I can theorize and speculate. I think Brad is guilty. If I were chosen for jury duty, I would put that speculation aside and be able to look at all of the evidence. I would not take my job as a jurist lightly. I would have a totally different mindset..

Yes, I can keep those two separate, and IMO anyone who cannot is not fit to be empaneled on a jury. Which I have been, but not in such a serious matter.

I am familiar with several cases in which I believe that the person committed the murder, but based upon the evidence presented at the trial, I would not have voted to convict.

CyberPro

The Constitution does not tell us that we do not have the freedom to think
or what we're allowed to think.
Our justice system needs a fair and unbiased jury...if anyone is called to serve, they have the opportunity to state whether they've formed an opinion.
I can just see Ben (Franklin, Tom (Jefferson) and John (Adams) rolling over in their grave if Americans weren't allowed the freedom of thought.
^i^

If my expectations are unreasonable, then our Constitution and the statutes that support our presumption of innocence standard are unreasonable and should be amended and/or revised to ensure the presumption of innocence is not unnecessarily poisoned. A jury cannot reliably be expected to impartially judge circumstantial evidence if a severly poisoned jury pool has a point of view of guilty.

I was a little concerned about that when I heard LE say they doubted any arrests would be made this weekend. Huh?

ETA: IOW what they have may be circumstantial.

They have him in a box. They just want to nail it shut. I think the nails will come from all the lab results, probably within the next week or two.

If the detergent were being purchased to facilitate the elimination of those troublesome bloodstains from the garments that you chose to wear when committing a certain murder, laundry detergent (yes, I am supposing this, there has been nothing to say that is WAS laundry detergent) with bleach would be just the ticket.

You could also use it, say in a mop bucket, to scrub the floors, if that should be needed.

CyberPro

I have never mopped my floor with laundry detergent. If I have blood on my clothing it is always prespotted with an enzyme therefore any detergent would do.

For instance, I am sure I would not qualify to sit on a death penalty eligible
murder trial here in Ohio. I would have to tell them I could not vote for death..as much as I'd like to see them rot in hell, I'll leave that to someone with more power than me.
^i^

Yes, I can keep those two separate, and IMO anyone who cannot is not fit to be empaneled on a jury. Which I have been, but not in such a serious matter.

I am familiar with several cases in which I believe that the person committed the murder, but based upon the evidence presented at the trial, I would not have voted to convict.

CyberPro

http://www.isabellacooper.com/index.htm

Apparently the family had a web site, but it hasn't been updated in years. Kind of a bland site for someone (Brad) who is/was so internet savvy. I thought it was a fake recently put up, but it says on the bottom last updated 2005.

First time poster here, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I am a member of the media. Not news, but media none the less.
I stumbled on this forum and can say how great it is when a "think tank" happens.
Brainstorming so so effective and a long held tradition in sleuthing.

Having said that, I feel like I need to respond to those posters that feel this forum should conduct itself like a courtroom or a newsroom .
Forums are in their essence, think tanks, and all about circumstantial evidence and horse sense and some creative deduction.
For all intents and puposes, newsrooms and courtrooms deal in just the facts, or so we hope.

This particular forum is very respectful of others and well informed. They call out those who go over the line and welcome debate in a civilized manner. This is rare indeed.

Certain clues cannot be substantiated because LE will not deny or confirm publicly. I can affirm however, that seasoned LEO's live by their "hunches" and they are working diligently to prove them and have an ironclad case so that when they in fact do arrest someone, they don't walk away due to messy evidence gathering.

On the otherside of that are brilliant prosecuters like Vincent Bugliosi who put Charles Manson away for life on circumstantial evidence.

These forums also draw in posters with information that can be quite useful.
The forum has no power to convict or acquit, it is merely a mind bank.

If you want to live by court approved evidence, wait for the trail and rail on.

In the mean time, let the gathering of these well intentioned and articulate souls, who have their life experiences to bring to the table, post on!

I have to go to work now, but I will be sure to check in later....

It will be interesting to find out if Nancy's evening attire was soaking or washed in the washing machine. Of course, Brad will say that he ran out for her because she was out of a certain kind of bleach or detergent. That won't fly because he wouldn't even give her money for the children's needs. So, he definitely would not be running out to the store at 4 a.m. What normal person is up at 4 a.m., going to the store? Was this Brad's regular routine? I feel certain that it wasn't.

I actually think that he might have dumped Nancy first to get rid of her body and then headed to the store in the dead of night to get the bleach/bleach detergent to start the cleanup process. As one forensics analyst said, he won't be able to clean up all of the blood spatter.

I feel certain that they used luminol in the house.
ok...I could see me do it...not to say I do it often, though.

From Coolmomof4's above link.
Sadly most of the links have expired BUT we have names....
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Links[/FONT]

Scott & Heather's Website http://www.heidermetour.com/
Jeff & Shannon's Website http://www.daisiesanddragonflies.ca/
Chris, Lisa and Nollan Walls Website http://www.nolanwall.com/
Donavan Dolph's Website http://www.dolphfamily.com/
Grant Cooper's Homepagehttp://www2.mhc.ab.ca/users/gcooper/index.html
Grant Cooper's Personal Websiteshttp://www.bars4u.com
http://www.bardrinks.biz/
Garry & Donna's Company (PSDN)http://www.psdncit.com
Cisco CCIE Links Cisco CCIE Mainsite Cisco CCIE Worldwide Statistics Cisco CCIE Voice Track
Brads Triathlon Page http://www.isabellacooper.com/triathlon.htm

http://www.isabellacooper.com/index.htm

Apparently the family had a web site, but it hasn't been updated in years. Kind of a bland site for someone (Brad) who is/was so internet savvy. I thought it was a fake recently put up, but it says on the bottom last updated 2005.

Nevermind it HAS to be theirs. Look at the links. A lot of it is all about his training again. Sheesh. Name a website after your child and fill it info all about you.

Oh I have not heard that one. Hmmmmm. I am very curious as to the manner of death.

I'm new here, btw, and live in Cary, about 4 or 5 mi away.

This is a SAFE community; there are no strangers lurking about at SEVEN AM waiting for someone to happen by. How many crimes have been committed at SEVEN AM on runners in this area? It's daylight, people are up and out even at that early time.

Nope. The community is safe, as the PD stated. They issued that statement for very specific reasons. If there were some random perp on the loose they would say so.

BTW, my limited dealings with the Cary PD have been VERY positive in the past. One night a nuisance dog barking was going on for hours and I finally called the PD and they spent a lot of time figuring out where the barking was coming from as the sound bounced around in my area and it was hard to pinpoint. The officer left a long detailed note on my front door letting me know that he had finally figured out where the noise was and what they had done to research and the outcome. I was gobsmacked at the communication and follow-through.

And of course the reason they can spend so much time on something as small as nuisance barking is BECAUSE this community is so safe and quiet that they don't usually have to contend with violent crimes and murders here.
How far are you from Durham? (I'm thinking of that poor girl who was killed in the early morning hours.)

First time poster here, and in the spirit of full disclosure, I am a member of the media. Not news, but media none the less.
I stumbled on this forum and can say how great it is when a "think tank" happens.
Brainstorming so so effective and a long held tradition in sleuthing.

Having said that, I feel like I need to respond to those posters that feel this forum should conduct itself like a courtroom or a newsroom .
Forums are in their essence, think tanks, and all about circumstantial evidence and horse sense and some creative deduction.
For all intents and puposes, newsrooms and courtrooms deal in just the facts, or so we hope.

This particular forum is very respectful of others and well informed. They call out those who go over the line and welcome debate in a civilized manner. This is rare indeed.

Certain clues cannot be substantiated because LE will not deny or confirm publicly. I can affirm however, that seasoned LEO's live by their "hunches" and they are working diligently to prove them and have an ironclad case so that when they in fact do arrest someone, they don't walk away due to messy evidence gathering.

On the otherside of that are brilliant prosecuters like Vincent Bugliosi who put Charles Manson away for life on circumstantial evidence.

These forums also draw in posters with information that can be quite useful.
The forum has no power to convict or acquit, it is merely a mind bank.

If you want to live by court approved evidence, wait for the trail and rail on.

In the mean time, let the gathering of these well intentioned and articulate souls, who have their life experiences to bring to the table, post on!

I have to go to work now, but I will be sure to check in later....

Welcome to WS! I look forward to your contribution to the think tank.

Also I think it has to do with control or the feeling of losing control over their possessions (and oftentimes such a spouse is thought of as a possession too), not to mention a tug-o-war with the kids, which sometimes comes into play as well. But yeah, CONTROL and MONEY (and money is used to exact control).
Absolutely!!!

Amen, Onescout! And welcome! I just joined this discussion, though I've been an armchair sleuth on other cases in prior years.

I live in Cary and when I say this community is quiet and safe, it really is.

This is a domestic homicide committed by an intimate of the victim. There are not bushy-haired-strangers hiding in our community (unless you count me and my humidity-induced, hair-raising curls).

And for those folks who would like nothing better than to quash all discussion of true crime...WHY ARE YOU ON THESE FORUMS anyway? Do you seriously not have anything better to do than this?

I welcome discussion of events and am grateful to have a diverse population of fellow armchair sleuthies with whom to compare notes and ruminate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ServerNotResponding