Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allegedly the suicide attempt was as a teenager, last winter it was a threat.

Updated: 3 minutes ago

Cary, N.C. — Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens has sealed search warrants related to the death of a Cary woman reported missing more than a week ago.

The search warrants for Nancy Cooper's home, vehicle and forensic evidence from her husband, Brad Cooper, have been sealed for 30 days and could be released Aug. 16.

Cary police or the Wake County District Attorney's Office could move to have the warrants stay under seal.

Knoxx, why ya sorry? Now what does this mean? Can a resident LE or attorney explain further?

From the above link: Stephens said in his order that "the release of this information will jeopardize the right of the State to prosecute a defendant or the right of the defendant to a fair trial or will undermine an ongoing or future investigation."

Until LE gets some physical evidence (i.e. DNA or something) back in this case I don't believe they are going to arrest the husband. Aside from some kind of admission or confession (which doesn't look like it's going to happen) I think they'll need something else to definitively tie BC to the murder. I hope the M.E. was able to recover physical evidence that will help point to the perp of this crime...my fear is that it will languish on and on with no resolution.

How long should it take for DNA to be processed? I was thinking it takes 2 - 6 weeks, depending. Does anyone know a more definitive timeframe on that?

Even with an obvious suspect (Jason Young), another spousal murder 6 miles away (Michelle Young), has gone nearly 21 months with no arrest.

Knoxx, why ya sorry? Now what does this mean? Can a resident LE or attorney explain further?

From the above link: Stephens said in his order that "the release of this information will jeopardize the right of the State to prosecute a defendant or the right of the defendant to a fair trial or will undermine an ongoing or future investigation."

No attorney, but that is standard lingo used when SW's are sealed in NC
(look at the Eve Carson sealed warrants).

The fact they are sealed for only 30 days tells me an arrest is imminent.
(2-14-08 SW's on Jason Young were sealed 'indefinitely')
Look for a grand jury indictment on 7-28-08.

I hope an arrest is imminent. I mean Nancy and her girls have already received their "life sentence."
I really don't give a clam about BC at this point. Sorry, but I have to be honest. I know some bleeding heart liberals don't like that attitude but I am sick to death of these judges who bend over backwards for the criminal's rights. :furious:

I understand what you are saying about judges, Curiositycat, I also understand Judge Donald Stephens is the best in the county and alot of people are hoping it stays in his court.

I understand what you are saying about judges, Curiositycat, I also understand Judge Donald Stephens is the best in the county and alot of people are hoping it stays in his court.

He is, IMO a VERY good Judge and very popular here. I hope this case stays with Judge Stephenson as well!

PS.. Hello Just The Fax!!!

In the years I worked as a victim's advocate I learned that a judge can make all the difference in the world.
In this small county we have two judges. Believe it or not there have been times when myself and other women would be trying to help a victim get a restraining order when we would sit in the car and PRAY together that the Judge that was favorable to women's issues would be the one there at that time.
I understand about judges and I am encouraged by what you say regarding this one.

I was hoping Judge Stephens name would come up. Let's just hope he gets the case and who ever gets charged with this crime, has to face him. He dealt with the Eric Miller case and finally got the Miller's justice.

The Miller case is the one that came to my mind immediately. He did a superb job given the circumstances in that particular case.

Something interesting in this article, "They also collected saliva or blood from her husband, Brad Cooper."

So why would they say that? Was it blood or was it saliva? My guess is the warrant simply stated something to the effect of obtaining DNA, and you could get it either with his blood or saliva. Am I on the right track?

Now if he strangled her, as many of us think/thought, why would LE need his DNA? I guess if she scratched/clawed him, and has his DNA under her fingernails... Or maybe he did it some other way, which created a mess, and necessitated his trip to the store at 4am...

Yes, the police chief has followed the script nicely. As in the Michelle Young murder, the Wake DA does not normally name a person of interest or a suspect. This is done for several reasons

1- They don't want to tip their hand to the suspect and his lawyer.
2- They don't want the defense to use the old 'the cops zeroed in
on my client and didn't look anywhere else' routine.
3- Naming a suspect puts more pressure on the cops as the public will
want a swift arrest.....often before the investigation is complete.

Not only do the cops have a 'person of interest', it is obvious they have their A #1 supect.

I would respectfully add to "fax" post that the "suspect" has a constitutionally protected right (as we all do) to be told by LE that he/she IS A SUSPECT prior to questioning to envoke their right to counsel. While they are not obligated to tell the public first, they absolutely must tell the potential suspect.

I appreciate that Just the Fax and Blink34 weighed-in on my point about the misimpression concerning the Chief declaring this an "isolated incident" and not a "random act of violence". While they both have valid points, unfortunately it appears they may also have missed the reason for my post, so I thought that I'd expand.

At the 7/14, 1:30 news conference, hours before the body was found, the Chief made the following statements;

"We have not had any... We believe this is an isolated incident and we are investigating it as a missing person and an isolated incident in this case."
And in response to a reporter's question about "people bothering joggers", the Chief said;

"We have not received any reports that would... for the area that we're actually talking about and for the area where we think Nancy has been... We have not received any reports."

At the 7/14, 6:30 news conference, again before the body was discovered;

"There is nothing right now that indicates that this is any more than a isolated case. If there was any information that our citizens would be at harm, we'd be putting that information our right away to let our citizens know to be careful and there's the possibility of danger for them."
"We have ab... We've had no reports in the area of suspicious activity. There's been nothing that we have reported or that we have reported or that we have seen that would indicate that this is anything but an isolated incident."

And for a little context, I've also pulled the following additional quotes;

"Because we have... she has... The last time anyone saw her was Saturday. She went out running and there's absolutely nothing that indicates that there's... that she's not a missing person at time."
"There is nothing we have... no indication right now that there's any foul play. Again, we are going to continue to investigate the as a missing person until there is indication, otherwise."

Throughout every news conference, Chief Bazemore stayed on point. Her responses about an "isolated incident" were all qualified by referring to the information available and they're repeated, as if they were scripted. In fact, throughout every news conference, before and after the body was discovered, she's pretty much has always said the same thing.

It would've been as irresponsible for her to have unequivocally said that this was an "isolated incident", as it would've been for her to start shouting from the rooftops that there's a serial killer on the loose, though they hadn't even found the first victim.

There's really no other response that she could've given and while part of it may have been a way to apply pressure to Brad (the logical first suspect), especially after the case was reclassified as a homicide, she has remained consistent throughout.

The fact that there's been nothing which "indicates that this is any more than a isolated case" (before and after the body, or before foul play is suspected) doesn't actually prove anything. It's not even a statement of belief, it's just saying that there's been no reports of people abducting joggers or attacking women in the southwest quadrant of the city* and it's the only thing she could've said.
---

*There has been at least one other female jogger abducted and killed on the north side of town within the past few months, but that case was solved; The ex was charged. For some reason, I believe that I've seen mention of at least one other incident over the past several months (in addition to these two), but I'm just going from memory and I believe that if it occured, it was also on the north side.

Something interesting in this article, "They also collected saliva or blood from her husband, Brad Cooper."

So why would they say that? Was it blood or was it saliva? My guess is the warrant simply stated something to the effect of obtaining DNA, and you could get it either with his blood or saliva. Am I on the right track?

Now if he strangled her, as many of us think/thought, why would LE need his DNA? I guess if she scratched/clawed him, and has his DNA under her fingernails... Or maybe he did it some other way, which created a mess, and necessitated his trip to the store at 4am...
Isn't DNA taken from saliva or blood going to match any other DNA coming from various sources such as scrapings from under her fingernails? They may have several areas of DNA evidence to cover found on or near Nancy. (His blood on her clothing, his perspiration transfered while he was moving her, the fingernails, etc.) We also don't know what was left at the scene where she was found or what they found in the home.

This is going to be a circumstantial evidence case unless someone saw him to place him at the scene or unless he confesses (unlikely on both, imo).

I thought I would mention the photo thread is almost bare! Please feel free to add photos taken in the case. It helps to visually see the areas we are discussing. If the locals want to add their own photos taken in the area, it would be great. *With other photos from the media, make sure to include the link back to the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769