Nancy Grace on HLN Now 10/14/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found this -

Responding officers told of theft complaint involving baby Lisa's father

"The Police Department rejected KCTV5's request to obtain a transcript or copy of the 911 call that Irwin made. The department's legal counsel said the Missouri Sunshine Law allows 911 calls to be exempted from public disclosure.

However, the dispatch calls are public. The initial dispatcher tells officers to go to "reported residential burglary in progress 3620 North Lister."

The dispatcher then matter-of-factly tells the officers to contact Irwin.

"He noticed his screen was busted and his 10-month-old daughter is missing. He advised that he didn't witness anything and didn't know how long she's been going," the dispatcher says.

Another officer asks for more details. The dispatcher repeats the information.

"The address is 3620 North Lister and the call notes are that he noticed that his 10-month-old daughter is missing and he's not sure how long she's been gone. And the screen is busted and he didn't witness anything," the dispatcher says."

http://www.kctv5.com/story/15699795/first-responding-officers-told-of-theft-complaint-involving-babys-father

Maybe they called it "in progress" because they didn't know when it had happened. Maybe this was so the LE would use caution when approaching, maybe different procedures. Just a thought.

I would be SHOCKED if NG actually had an exclusive and this alleged search at the rock quarry was first reported by her show...

I would be SHOCKED if NG actually had an exclusive and this alleged search at the rock quarry was first reported by her show...
If this is the footage she was talking about then she needs to learn the difference between rocks and dirt. Nary a rock to be found in this dirt pit. And yes I do know that for a fact as we have taken 4 wheelers there and also let the dogs run there. Kinda need rocks to have a rock quarry I think.

Except the story from the parents now is that Jeremy saw the lights on, walked through an unlocked door, shut the computer room window, woke up mom, they noticed Lisa was gone, they noticed all cell phones were gone, and then they called 911. Nothing in the story that we've heard so far from the parents indicates that a call was made before Jeremy had gone through the house (seeing no one there but his family minus Lisa). It's odd.

Note: Maybe he was trying to call home earlier, got worried, came home ahead of time and saw lights on when they never had been before at that time; possibly called a potential burglary in process from the car? Then went inside and discovered not a burglarly but an abduction?

He might have but why didn't he say so?

I think the looking for phones makes less sense in that scenario. If he had already called 911 from his work phone it would have been natural for him to use the same line to make a follow up call.

Maybe they called it "in progress" because they didn't know when it had happened. Maybe this was so the LE would use caution when approaching, maybe different procedures. Just a thought.

I agree. I think if it is POSSIBLE that a perp is still in the immediate area the cops are given a heads up that it might still be in progress. safer for everyone that way,imo.

Dad had to have said something about "someone may still be in the house" or "I don't know is someone is still in the house" or words to that effect for the dispatcher to code it as an "in progress" call.

The rest of that article doesn't say anything about that. It just repeats what the dispatcher says and that dad didn't "witness" anything. So, if dad didn't witness anything how could it still be in progress?

I'm going back to my ole sayin'

It ain't fittin', it ain't fittin' , it just ain't fittin'

it ain't fittin'.

I don't see anything odd about coding it "still in progress." The dispatcher isn't on the scene and can't know for certain that the intruder/abductor is not still in the vicinity. Keep in mind it was the dispatcher who coded it... not Dad.

I don't think it's that strange that they said burglary in progress. I think the fact that the residence was broken into makes it burglary. The 911 operator might have asked JI if the person is still there and he said "I don't know."

I agree, and from what I know, once the dispatcher gets the call, she needs to dispatch immediately. JI might have said something like "someone broke into my house", and then immediately the dispatcher called it a "burglary in progress" before she got more information.

This occurrence doesn't register on my hinky meter.

I agree, and from what I know, once the dispatcher gets the call, she needs to dispatch immediately. JI might have said something like "someone broke into my house", and then immediately the dispatcher called it a "burglary in progress" before she got more information.

This occurrence doesn't register on my hinky meter.

One thing to keep in mind, KCPD has call takers and dispatchers. The call taker gets the information from the 911 caller then keys it in to the computer. The dispatcher then puts it out to the officers over the air. So the person doing the dispatching is only relaying what the call taker keyed in. So plenty of room to have confusion between the 911 caller, the call taker, and then the dispatcher.

Thank goodness NG didn't have a live show going on tonight during all of the excitement...I can only imagine how she would have mangled the news coming out of there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner