NBC ending Leno's nightly prime-time show

My friend posted this on her Facebook. I thought it was fantastic. Hahaha.

LOL, I love it!
Thinkin' about changing my user pic to it! Thanks, Idaho.

I agree with Conan, they need to give it a little time to flourish. Leno needs to move on. Doesn't he have like a million cars he can tinker with, anyway?

I love Conan, and I believe it is long past time for Jay to retire. I also agree with Conan that the time slot should not be messed with. At this point NBC and Jay are coming off in a very negative light.

I agree with you so much! I have always loved Jay Leno--I feel he is more personable, and a much "nicer" person. Conan is funny, but I feel he does not have anough "personality" and comradarie with guests. Jimmy Fallon is just plain horrible, and is too politically motivated. That is one thing I like about Jay--he supported political figures from both sides of the aisle. I had the privilege of meeting Jay Leno once, before he got the Tonight Show, and he was such a genuinely nice guy. I think NBC made such a poor business decision taking Jay off the Tonight Show, and is now cleaning up the mess, at Conans expense. Keep Jay!
Leno's a winner no matter what time he's on!!!:woohoo: I got to see him more at 10:00, but I'll still be faithful when I can. :dance:Conan O'Brien just isn't funny, and NBC should never have yanked Jay to give him the 11:30 slot to begin with!

Leno needs to move on. Doesn't he have like a million cars he can tinker with, anyway?

Haha, Letterman has been making jokes about Jay and his cars all week..he's having a field day.

I remember when Jay took over for Johnny (yes I'm that old). Every morning at work everyone would complain about how awful the new guy was. It's ironic to see the same complaints all these years er decades later.

I remember when Jay took over for Johnny (yes I'm that old). Every morning at work everyone would complain about how awful the new guy was. It's ironic to see the same complaints all these years er decades later.

You're right! I am old enough to remember that too (although I was just a very bright infant:angel:).

As much as I do like Jay, I have to say that Conan is 100% right in this situation. Jay had to have known this was coming if Conan has had a contract for 5 years.

The 10pm thing has screwed up so much! Sad to think that NBC used to be the best, and they have let it get worse and worse. Any good business leader can tell you that being cheap isn't the way to grow your brand, and they are learning it the hard way.

I agree with you so much! I have always loved Jay Leno--I feel he is more personable, and a much "nicer" person. Conan is funny, but I feel he does not have anough "personality" and comradarie with guests. Jimmy Fallon is just plain horrible, and is too politically motivated. That is one thing I like about Jay--he supported political figures from both sides of the aisle. I had the privilege of meeting Jay Leno once, before he got the Tonight Show, and he was such a genuinely nice guy. I think NBC made such a poor business decision taking Jay off the Tonight Show, and is now cleaning up the mess, at Conans expense. Keep Jay!
Turns out Conan's rating for the Tonight Show had tanked at 11:30 anyhow! I really don't care what they call Jay's show, as long as they give him an hour, he's the King of Comedy in my book!

Me too! My mother used to stay up late at night and watch Johnny Carson while paying bills or doing laundry and I'd stay up with her.

LOL, I love it!
Thinkin' about changing my user pic to it! Thanks, Idaho.

I agree with Conan, they need to give it a little time to flourish. Leno needs to move on. Doesn't he have like a million cars he can tinker with, anyway?

Haha. I changed it to my photo also. There is now a "fan" page on Facebook for Conan fans. "I'm with COCO". http://www.facebook.com/imwithcoco?ref=nf

Also, what the hell will happen if they do decide to give Leno 11:30 and move the Tonight Show to 12? Conan will quit. So will they find another new host for 12? Will they give it back to Leno? Ughhhhhhhhhhh. JUST KEEP IT HOW IT IS!

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/01/13/im-with-coco-inside-the-conan-obrien-support-movement/

The Internet is a-buzz with support for Conan O’Brien, but there seems to be one image that’s the beating heart of the entire campaign. LA-based designer Mike Mitchell’s “I’m with Coco” poster has reached levels of ubiquity we haven’t seen since Shepard Fairey took on Obama. EW caught up with Mitchell, 27, to ask him about designing a movement.

“I’m a huge Conan fan,” Mitchell says. “I went to one of the first test shows [for The Tonight Show] here in LA, and I’ve been a big fan for a long time.” Of the late-night debacle at NBC, he adds: “The whole thing’s just a crappy situation.”

Thanks for the link to the CoCo FB page, Idaho. I became a fan! I can't live without my Twitter Tracker! ;) Ok I can live without it, but I won't like it.

Well, I for one am very glad Leno at 10pm was epic fail. It was such a horrible, horrible potential precedent, really. Cheap, mediocre television taking away the more expensive scripted series. Ten PM was particularly heinous because it was in what was traditionally a slot for drama. Talented actors and editors put out of work because NBC wanted a cheaper alternative by moving up a late-night series.

It seemed misguided from the beginning, though. NBC was expecting a doubling (minimum) of Leno's existing audience, and there was nothing in the formula to explain from where that would come. Leno has his loyalists. As does Letterman and Conan and Craig and so on and so on, but it's fairly polarizing programming in late-night. I don't find Leno funny, at all. Never have. I used to enjoy Letterman, but he's gotten kinda bitter and acerbic over the last several years. But if you don't care enough to wait up for them, then you're not going to go crazy for it when the competition is stiffer.

I'm totally on Conan's side on this one, despite the fact I don't watch him, LOL. NBC is treating him like garbage and I'd be mad, too. And it would be a nail in the coffin of the Tonight Show. I think this shows that Conan has integrity. Yes, it has to wound him deeply, but NBC was stupid to try this at all and they're bungling the repair process.

2-page article:

NBC head Zucker: Why is he still there?
Commentary: Comcast should demand some money back

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The chaos surrounding Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien epitomizes NBC Universal Chief Executive Jeff Zucker's mismanagement.

When television industry observers get past the Jay-vs.-Conan furor, they should ask a fundamental question:

Why in the world is Zucker still running NBC Universal?

I suspect that Comcast Corp. may be asking the same question. Comcast is in the process of acquiring NBC Universal from General Electric /quotes/comstock/13*!ge/quotes/nls/ge (GE 16.39, -0.05, -0.30%) . GE recently extended Zucker's contract by three years.

The Philadelphia cable powerhouse /quotes/comstock/15*!cmcsa (CMCS.A 16.65, -0.04, -0.24%) shelled out billions -- and I wonder now if it might eventually ask for some of the money back. If Leno and/or O'Brien bolts from NBC in disgust, wouldn't NBC be worth less money than it was when Comcast struck the deal?

Zucker has been at the helm of the debacle. He created the Leno time slot at 10:00, thinking he could save NBC money (because the standard drama at that hour was far more expensive to produce).

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-is-jeff-zucker-still-running-nbc-2010-01-15?pagenumber=1

A Big Audience for Conan O’Brien’s ‘Tonight’

Even as negotiations for him to leave NBC moved toward a conclusion, Conan O’Brien continued a ratings surge Thursday night, posting huge advantages in early results among young-adult viewers for his “Tonight Show” on NBC.

In the 24 cities that report overnight ratings among viewers from the ages of 18 to 49, the group preferred by many late-night advertisers, Mr. O’Brien once again hit a long-term high with a 1.9 rating. That was up a tenth from the night before and dwarfed the 1.1 rating his direct competitor, David Letterman on CBS, scored in the same cities Thursday night.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/a-big-audience-for-conan-obriens-tonight/

Last night's show was really good and really funny, as always. Glad for the ratings spike! Go CoCo Go!

It's looking about 99% certain that Conan will be leaving the Tonight Show. Some reports are saying his last show may be next Friday, and that he will be getting a $30 million payout. Of course, this isn't "official" yet so I won't link it, but pretty close to being.

Dear little children of the world: You can be anything you want to be when you grow up...unless Jay Leno wants it too. It really makes me sick to think about Leno and his long history of deceit and backstabbing. And Zucker's bad history with Conan. Just rediculous. I, for one, will never watch Jay Leno or NBC late night again.

I hope that NBC doesn't try to keep Conan off tv for too long, and that he can find a great gig with another network.

I'm still with COCO!

It reminds me of Solomon and the 'Wise Judgement' from The Bible, in a way.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Kings+3:16-28&version=NKJV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Kings+3:16-28&version=NIV

Conan isn't willing to let NBC/Zucker change the late night empire he grew up admiring because he knows the damage it will do. Leno is...
That should say somethin', IMO.

I'll follow CoCo. I really hope ABC makes him an offer. I never used to watch ABC much, but Modern Family, among others, is hilarious. I would watch CoCo over there, too. I think ABC could use a boost to their late night, anyway. I mean, does ABC even have a late night show? I don't even know.

NBC, Jeff Zucker and Jay Leno can sink their ship together and without CoCo. It's unfortunate, though, I've really always preferred NBC until recently, even through my childhood. I hope this doesn't hurt other long time running shows like SNL and the local news any further. I hope the newer shows can survive, as well.

It certainly does look like you're right, Idaho. I don't see anything wrong with posting this, is this what you meant?

NBC, O'Brien Negotiate Exit
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703657604575005953112889436.html

I'm still with CoCo, too.

It reminds me of Solomon and the 'Wise Judgement' from The Bible, in a way.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Kings+3:16-28&version=NKJV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Kings+3:16-28&version=NIV

Conan isn't willing to let NBC/Zucker change the late night empire he grew up admiring because he knows the damage it will do. Leno is...
That should say somethin', IMO.

I'll follow CoCo. I really hope ABC makes him an offer. I never used to watch ABC much, but Modern Family, among others, is hilarious. I would watch CoCo over there, too. I think ABC could use a boost to their late night, anyway. I mean, does ABC even have a late night show? I don't even know.

NBC, Jeff Zucker and Jay Leno can sink their ship together and without CoCo. It's unfortunate, though, I've really always preferred NBC until recently, even through my childhood. I hope this doesn't hurt other long time running shows like SNL and the local news any further. I hope the newer shows can survive, as well.

It certainly does look like you're right, Idaho. I don't see anything wrong with posting this, is this what you meant?

NBC, O'Brien Negotiate Exit
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703657604575005953112889436.html

I'm still with CoCo, too.
I am sorry, but times change and things change.
I don't think Leno pushed for nbc to put him on at 10 and then move him back.
nbc did it. I don't think it's fair to blame Leno for it at all. I personally never thought Conan was a good substitution for Leno. I have no idea why nbc believed it would work in a first place.

Leno could take the high road, like Conan, and end on a high note, jjenny. He had his run, time to turn it over to new blood. He is tarnished, IMO. It doesn't help my opinion of him, anyway. I don't think I'm the only one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back