NC - 4 teens chrgd w/2nd Dgre rape of mntlly incapicated & physically helpless girl

I have read if a person has sex with a mentally incapicated person that is considered rape.

The use of the term "having sex" is unfortunate here, but the reporter is perhaps not sure what else to say. They could say "allegedly raped" or something I guess. But that sort of implies there is question whether a sex act occurred, and here there is no question. Its just about reporters trying to find a way to describe it in 2-3 words when they really need a few sentences.

The use of the term "having sex" is unfortunate here, but the reporter is perhaps not sure what else to say. They could say "allegedly raped" or something I guess. But that sort of implies there is question whether a sex act occurred, and here there is no question. Its just about reporters trying to find a way to describe it in 2-3 words when they really need a few sentences.

I 100% agree that many reporters make exactly the same kind of errors as you described above. It drives me insane!

However, in this case, these posters comments are referring to a statement made by another poster on this thread. (Backtrack to Salem's post above which quotes the original in which "having sex" was the term used.)

I 100% agree that many reporters make exactly the same kind of errors as you described above. It drives me insane!

However, in this case, these posters comments are referring to a statement made by another poster on this thread. (Backtrack to Salem's post above which quotes the original in which "having sex" was the term used.)

You're right Readhead. I sort of mis-read that post.

Sweetmop, since you know the girl (or maybe only know of the girl, I don't know) and most of us don't, what do you think about how she feels about this?

Do you think she was more damaged by the night this took place and all the unsavory activities of which she was a victim, or do you think she would say 2 years down the road that she was more damaged by the trial and "everything that came out" and the current public's fascination with this kind of drunken high school debauchery?

I think the girl in Steubenville would say - hands down - that she was far more traumatized by the public spotlight put on her, the trial, the internet fascination, the media stalking, etc., than she was by the events of August 11.

They are victimized at the party, but they are victimized 10 fold by the public trying to take up for them and right the wrong. If this case takes on the public spectre that the Steubenville case did, this girl is about to be victimized to a degree she never knew possible - by a public hungry for ugly scandal, and a media hell bent on giving the public what they want - graphic, ugly details.

I have no doubt that this girl was victimized, I just think she will feel MORE victimized throughout this trial.

WOW, just WOW! Really? You think she should just forget about it & get on with her life? Somehow I don't think she will ever get on with her life in the same way as before she was raped by these 4 guys. Not saying anything sends a loud & clear message that it's perfectly acceptable to take advantage of a helpless person in any way that you want!

This is so upsetting to me. This happened to a girl from my school about 25 years ago. She was labeled a *advertiser censored*. The boys were labeled cool.

It happened then and it still happens today. I'm sick of it.

Okay, I'll ask (and maybe I misunderstood): if the public wanting to "take up for victims" and "right the wrong" will cause harm to victims via the publicity... what is the solution? What should LE do when they receive a report? Should it be kept out of the courts?

Personally, I'm glad the authorities listened to the victim when she reported this crime. Not only did they take it seriously, they took an extra step to try and avoid any conflict of interest. The result is indictments and a court date. Coming forward to report this type of crime is really difficult. Having the bravery to come forward only to find nothing will be done? Talk about being victimized all over again...

Sorry for this inadvertent case bump, but I guess nothing ever came of these charges....? Those boys are active as ever on FB. I just read a positively delightful conversation on one of their profile pictures regarding the use of the word "*advertiser censored*."

Sorry for this inadvertent case bump, but I guess nothing ever came of these charges....? Those boys are active as ever on FB. I just read a positively delightful conversation on one of their profile pictures regarding the use of the word "*advertiser censored*."

BPT
I believe (in Nov, Dec, or Jan?) Dr Phil show featured this story.
IIRC, the sheriff's deputy's son and his parents appeared in Dr P studio, as did the boy hinself.
I believe at time of show-taping, criminal charges were pending against only that one boy.

Too close to my bedtime now for me to try to search drphil.com archives. Maybe you or someone else here will.
JM2cts and I could be wrong. :seeya:

popsicle,
Thanks for the links to Dr P.
My memory clock was off by months, as the site indicates the program aired in Sept.?!!?!!! LOL.

My google-fu is also lacking, as I have found no news article updates since.
Anyone?
Thx in adv.

popsicle,
Thanks for the links to Dr P.
My memory clock was off by months, as the site indicates the program aired in Sept.?!!?!!! LOL.

My google-fu is also lacking, as I have found no news article updates since.
Anyone?
Thx in adv.

Nope, I couldn't find any updates either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back