NC - 6 Shark Attacks in North Carolina waters, June 2015

Rip tides on Cape Hatteras are routine and severe enough at times to close off life-guarded sections of beach. Oregon Inlet has the worst of them, because of tidal in- wash and out flow.

Edit: deleted story. :)

Geez Hope.....that is a frightening story....thank God your dad taught u well! Glad u made it back safely!

The man was swimming outside the first breaker about 25 feet offshore, directly in front of the lifeguard stand, when he encountered a gray shark about 7 feet long, Hyde County officials said. A lifeguard saw the shark pull the man under the water. He suffered several bites to his rib cage, hip, lower leg and both hands.

http://myfox8.com/2015/07/01/shark-attack-reported-at-ocracoke-island-in-nc/

Several tweets from people that were there at the time.

The man was swimming outside the first breaker about 25 feet offshore, directly in front of the lifeguard stand, when he encountered a gray shark about 7 feet long, Hyde County officials said. A lifeguard saw the shark pull the man under the water. He suffered several bites to his rib cage, hip, lower leg and both hands.

http://myfox8.com/2015/07/01/shark-attack-reported-at-ocracoke-island-in-nc/

Several tweets from people that were there at the time.

I was just coming here to post about this seventh shark attack that injured a 68 year old male. The shark pulled this man underwater.

Four years ago I miraculously avoided serious injury from a shark attack. I was at Carolina Beach, NC and waded into the crystal clear water up to about waist high. I noticed two dark things rapidly charging through the water straight toward me. I remember thinking that these two fish were going to run right into me. As it approached within twenty feet of me I realized what I thought was two fish was actually the tips of fins of a five ft. shark. I immediately lifted my left leg in an attempt to get out of the direct path (and to walk on water). The shark rolled a bit to his side and we actually looked each other directly in the eyes. Fortunately my leg was up in the air and I was in the process of turning around because the instant the shark slammed into my inner right thigh I brought my left foot down and slammed it on top of the shark's head. He was snapping his mouth trying to take a bite out of my leg. After the kick to the head he immediately swam past me straight toward a man with a baby on his shoulders. This poor man was holding his baby's hands and was screaming. The only way he could have fought off the shark was to let go of his baby. But, the shark dodged the man, swung around him and came right back at me. He then slammed into the calf of my left leg and and I was desperately trying to kick him with my right foot. People who were in the water behind me were trying to get to shore away from the attack. I made it to shore with no injuries! My legs were shaking so hard I couldn't stand. Life guard came up on a four-wheeler and made the comment that this was the fifth time that day that someone reported a shark was trying to attack them. I was furious that he did not make people get out of the water or inform us that there was a shark there.

I still feel panic when I read about these people being attacked by sharks

Four years ago I miraculously avoided serious injury from a shark attack. I was at Carolina Beach, NC and waded into the crystal clear water up to about waist high. I noticed two dark things rapidly charging through the water straight toward me. I remember thinking that these two fish were going to run right into me. As it approached within twenty feet of me I realized what I thought was two fish was actually the tips of fins of a five ft. shark. I immediately lifted my left leg in an attempt to get out of the direct path (and to walk on water). The shark rolled a bit to his side and we actually looked each other directly in the eyes. Fortunately my leg was up in the air and I was in the process of turning around because the instant the shark slammed into my inner right thigh I brought my left foot down and slammed it on top of the shark's head. He was snapping his mouth trying to take a bite out of my leg. After the kick to the head he immediately swam past me straight toward a man with a baby on his shoulders. This poor man was holding his baby's hands and was screaming. The only way he could have fought off the shark was to let go of his baby. But, the shark dodged the man, swung around him and came right back at me. He then slammed into the calf of my left leg and and I was desperately trying to kick him with my right foot. People who were in the water behind me were trying to get to shore away from the attack. I made it to shore with no injuries! My legs were shaking so hard I couldn't stand. Life guard came up on a four-wheeler and made the comment that this was the fifth time that day that someone reported a shark was trying to attack them. I was furious that he did not make people get out of the water or inform us that there was a shark there.

Omg. I held my breath through your whole post. That would have turned my hair white. You poor thing. Do you mond if I ask, do you still go in the ocean? I'm going on Vacation in a few weeks. Floating in the sea is my favorite thing to do. Maybe not so much this year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How scary. The reporters said people were back in the water an hour after that man was attacked. crazy imo

Parker Slaybaugh ‏@Parker8News 24m24 minutes ago
I just spoke with a leading shark expert in the country, he tells me his opinion is that the beaches at the Outer... http://fb.me/6CEIfqdf5

Omg. I held my breath through your whole post. That would have turned my hair white. You poor thing. Do you mond if I ask, do you still go in the ocean? I'm going on Vacation in a few weeks. Floating in the sea is my favorite thing to do. Maybe not so much this year.

I've lived near the beach, on the beach, on a sailboat, always owned a boat , out every weekend, etc. I have gone out about just below waist high and I'm almost in a panic until I get back on the sand. I watched some fishermen pull in a seven ft. shark in the exact spot where the 12 yr. old lost her arm a week later. These idiots posed with the shark, dodging his mouth and teeth, he was thrashing on the beach trying to get a bite. They then (four men) pulled him into the surf by the tail until they were waist deep to let him go, even slapping him on the back as he swam back into the surf. I get a sick feeling, especially now with all the attacks. I have talked myself out of going to the beach for two weeks now.

I'm now twenty miles from the beach and I will go back to the beach but not for swimming.

We saw a huge bull shark when snorkeling off Key West with a large group of others but the water is crystal clear. The shark was in the "middle" of us. Amongst us. Working the reefs. Those sharks don't play around.
Some of us got on the boat very quickly. The people who owned the catamaran strongly yelled for the others to join us. They had also sited a barracuda and feared blood in the water.
Don't wear shiny jewelry and no ankle bracelets.
I would also get out of the water if I heard a helicopter, but NatGeo believes they attract sharks and other groups of scientists don't.
Here's Ngeo's info:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week/about-this-show/can-sharks-hear-humming/
>relevant on helis from link< [Rescue vehicles like Coast Guard helicopters emit similar low-frequency sound waves, so flying them in after a shipwreck might call unwanted attention to any submerged survivors.]

Has the actual specie of shark been identified in these recent attacks?
jmo
Here in Myrtle Beach there are helicopters all the time you can take them out for tours. They fly over the beach and water. And banner planes, parasail. Not sure if they have the same affect. I'm originally from Michigan and though depending where you swim the water may not be clear but not so afraid of a trout or salmon. I don't do the ocean. Deepest is a chair on shore. With big fish like shark I want to see it coming. Plus jelly fish are in there too. I'll stick to my pool. Better safe than sorry.

That's terrible Lonetraveler. It's too bad you can't do what you enjoy, but I would panic after that experience as well. Be careful out there! I Love the ocean so much, but I can love it from my lounge chair IYKWIM. These attacks one after another, crazy.

(CNN)A man in his late 60s was attacked by a shark in North Carolina on Wednesday, in what was the seventh such attack in the state this year.
[video=cnn;us/2015/07/01/sixth-north-carolina-shark-attack-gibbs-intv-nr.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/us/north-carolina-shark-attack/index.html[/video]

This is getting serious.

[video=cnn;us/2015/07/01/sixth-north-carolina-shark-attack-gibbs-intv-nr.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/us/north-carolina-shark-attack/index.html[/video]

This is getting serious.

Be careful on your trip. No sacrificing Grandma, okay?!

So I'm going to Punta Cana in a few weeks and guess what? They have these little helicopters that fly along the shoreline all day long filled with tourists that want to see their hotels from the air. I know the area isn't known for shark sitings, but now my butt is afraid to float around like I always do. I'm not a pool person, but guess I'm going to learn. As for the Outer Banks, we used to go to Duck and Another area that slips my mind when the kiddies were little. We swam WAY out. Just telling DH recently that I missed OB. Maybe not so much anymore :)

So I'm going to Punta Cana in a few weeks and guess what? They have these little helicopters that fly along the shoreline all day long filled with tourists that want to see their hotels from the air. I know the area isn't known for shark sitings, but now my butt is afraid to float around like I always do. I'm not a pool person, but guess I'm going to learn. As for the Outer Banks, we used to go to Duck and Another area that slips my mind when the kiddies were little. We swam WAY out. Just telling DH recently that I missed OB. Maybe not so much anymore :)

Go and enjoy. I have swam there many, many times over the years. Lot's of coral reef off Bavaro Beach. We, last few years have found a lovely condo area in Freeport Bahamas. Luv it. Walk right out and hubby is standing in the oceon fishing. Mostly barracuda that will swim near you so best not to wear rings etc. as the reflection could cause a bite. This past March a lemon Shark showed up and cruised back and forth in waist high water. Locals said they had never seen a shark there in over 15 years. She appeared injured and folks just figured she was resting and feeding near shore. A day later she was gone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back