NC - 6 Shark Attacks in North Carolina waters, June 2015

Massapequa right next door! I'm in Wantagh. Heard there was a great white sighted off Long Island this spring! Maybe I will see it from the safety of my beach chair tomorrow. I will report back if I do, lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LOL let me know if u do. That's the grand daddy of sharks LOL

I don't know about all of you but I just wouldn't be in the water there. :dunno:

Shark attacks are going to explode since the recent banning of large commercial net fishing.
The big nets used to catch plenty of sharks--which were then killed.

But no more big nets = lots more big sharks.

Massapequa right next door! I'm in Wantagh. Heard there was a great white sighted off Long Island this spring! Maybe I will see it from the safety of my beach chair tomorrow. I will report back if I do, lol.

1. Aren't sightings of great whites fairly common off the southern shore of Long Island? I thought that's why Peter Benchley used it as the setting for Jaws.

2. I seem to remember an aerial photo from last summer that showed hundreds, even thousands of sharks swimming just beyond the breakers in the Carolinas. The water was exceptionally clear and it was a chilling reminder that the ocean is their territory; we only visit.

You are right Nova, but I think I remember my daughter saying it was near Robert Moses State Park, too close for comfort for me. We went to Jones Beach today and all I wet was my toes!

Shark attacks are going to explode since the recent banning of large commercial net fishing.
The big nets used to catch plenty of sharks--which were then killed.

But no more big nets = lots more big sharks.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info. I am just an in-Lander. Oceans are a beautiful and mysterious place to me. I saw Jaws 4 times in 5th grade and I was a believer from an early age.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info. I am just an in-Lander. Oceans are a beautiful and mysterious place to me. I saw Jaws 4 times in 5th grade and I was a believer from an early age.

The best documentary I saw about the 1916 shark that terrorized New Jersey was called "12 Days of Terror". The Jaws movie was based on these events of that summer. It is well done and really describes what happened. If anyone gets a chance to watch this show it is really good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Days_of_Terror

I don't know about all of you but I just wouldn't be in the water there. :dunno:

My husband and I are home and spent the last 3 days on Oak Island Beach.I apologize for not reading this thread before posting but I will tell you my account.I like to go to the west end point because it is a big open beach,down by our property the beach is narrow and the tide comes in fast.
There was alot of people and not as many swimmers but there was alot and I mean ALOT of fisherman.It was as if they all came to catch a shark.I could not believe some people were swimming right next to the fishing lines.
I do not understand the backward thinking here,these fisherman are luring these sharks towards the beach.
A shark was caught on Sunday where we were but I did not see it.I am disgusted by the attitude of these fisherman and I did have a run in with some but will not go into it.The west end point beach changes constantly by shifting sands and it is always different.There are these big tidal pools left when the tide goes out and many people took advantage of swimming in them instead of the ocean.I got in one that was over 5 feet deep.I enjoyed it til my hubby pointed out the beer drinkers soaking in the pools for the chance to relieve themselves.Everyone was talking about the attacks but not one person had any problem with the fishing and that makes no sense to me.I am from south fl.and when sport fishing you end up hooking sharks because of the live bait or whatever you caught is wiggling and in distress,also see many hooking sharks from piers.There are is no fishing from the beach in S.Fla,I cannot understand why it is allowed in N.C. This is the redneck riviera.Mods I will remove that last part if needed.

Forgot to tell about the shark Tshirt from Eagles.We had seen the shirt with the shark only,just open mouth nothing else and Mr.cuffem wanted one.We were told a group of petitioners and the media had it removed from the shops.
We had no idea there was another shirt with a person in the sharks mouth,I can see that one banned but Mr cuffem would still want one because most men have poor sense of humor.

I always think that if someone doesn't want to be attacked by a shark, don't go swimming it its living room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have been swimming every day at and near Frisco, with no problem and just a little bit of worry. Haven't gone way far out, but far enough to be in water way over my head. Have avoided fishing piers and fishermen though. There haven't been any more attacks anyway, at least that I'm aware of. :)

I have noticed there are far fewer peeps swimming than usual.

My husband and I are home and spent the last 3 days on Oak Island Beach.I apologize for not reading this thread before posting but I will tell you my account.I like to go to the west end point because it is a big open beach,down by our property the beach is narrow and the tide comes in fast.
There was alot of people and not as many swimmers but there was alot and I mean ALOT of fisherman.It was as if they all came to catch a shark.I could not believe some people were swimming right next to the fishing lines.
I do not understand the backward thinking here,these fisherman are luring these sharks towards the beach.
A shark was caught on Sunday where we were but I did not see it.I am disgusted by the attitude of these fisherman and I did have a run in with some but will not go into it.The west end point beach changes constantly by shifting sands and it is always different.There are these big tidal pools left when the tide goes out and many people took advantage of swimming in them instead of the ocean.I got in one that was over 5 feet deep.I enjoyed it til my hubby pointed out the beer drinkers soaking in the pools for the chance to relieve themselves.Everyone was talking about the attacks but not one person had any problem with the fishing and that makes no sense to me.I am from south fl.and when sport fishing you end up hooking sharks because of the live bait or whatever you caught is wiggling and in distress,also see many hooking sharks from piers.There are is no fishing from the beach in S.Fla,I cannot understand why it is allowed in N.C. This is the redneck riviera.Mods I will remove that last part if needed.

I always thought the Gulf Coast of Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi was the Redneck Riviera?!

It does seem the fishing and the swimming should not happen next to each other.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back