NC - Abhijit Mahato, 29, shot to death, Durham, 18 Jan 2008 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks :tyou: from the bottom of my little :heartbeat: for checking with WRAL for the streaming Borndem!

You made my day!

I guess I better get to :guitar: singing and cleaning :sweep: then cooking :cupcake: :popcorn: :drink: for the trial.

I am looking forward to spending time with good friends trial watching!

You're sweet to say that, Jewels, and I'm glad :drumroll:you'll be with us for this thing. And I was so pleased & relieved that WRAL was doing their streaming -- they are pretty good at it now (please, no jinx).

We just need a jury to get this show on the road... I think the DT is prolly disappointed that they didn't get a change of venue, so they may use jury selection as a whipping-boy to start things off. JMHO. They're caught with a lousy client with no real defense, just like they were in the Carson trial, so they do what they gotta do, I guess. That's my thinking, anyway. But we're in a different county with different everything else, too. Only the defendant and his chief counsel haven't changed -- I don't know if the 2nd chair defense counsel is the same...

I surely would like to know what plea was offered -- I can't imagine it was much of a deal, I just can't. They got the defendant by the short&curlie's IMO, so I doubt they made too sweet an offer...

Here is some info on Judge Hardin -- he is the Resident Superior Court Judge for Durham County. So we should have a good, smart & seasoned judge who has prolly seen everything -- and I can tell you that Durham County is, regretful to say, fairly high in number of crimes committed, etc., etc.

http://www.nccourts.org/County/Durham/Staff/SCJudges/jehardin.asp

Now I'll see what I can find on the prosecutors... wish me luck -- it may not be that easy what with the "pay us $$ and we'll tell you all about So-and-So" of which I am not a subscriber...
icon6.png

ETA: Here is some info on Jim Dornfried -- the 1st Chair Prosecutor -- it is written by him, I guess when he was running for DA in Durham County --
http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/jim-dornfried/Content?oi=3170006

ETA: Here is some info on a Durham Co. Prosecutor, Stormy Ellis, whom I ASSUME is the 2nd Chair Prosecutor in this case:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/icedstormy

I don't know much of anything about Durham County jurisprudence, so please note that... :thinking:

Thanks for doing this...........I couldn't find anything on the Pros team......

You're sweet to say that, Jewels, and I'm glad :drumroll:you'll be with us for this thing. And I was so pleased & relieved that WRAL was doing their streaming -- they are pretty good at it now (please, no jinx).

We just need a jury to get this show on the road... I think the DT is prolly disappointed that they didn't get a change of venue, so they may use jury selection as a whipping-boy to start things off. JMHO. They're caught with a lousy client with no real defense, just like they were in the Carson trial, so they do what they gotta do, I guess. That's my thinking, anyway. But we're in a different county with different everything else, too. Only the defendant and his chief counsel haven't changed -- I don't know if the 2nd chair defense counsel is the same...

I surely would like to know what plea was offered -- I can't imagine it was much of a deal, I just can't. They got the defendant by the short&curlie's IMO, so I doubt they made too sweet an offer...

Let Lovette have his day in court, its not going to change anything, he is already facing a life sentence for the murder of beautiful Eve Carson. :(
Let this just be an additional sentence to make sure the families never have to see his face or hear his name again. JMO.

No details on plea deal other than it was refused and the deal was not revealed...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/15/4006820/lovette-rejects-offered-plea-deal.html

-----------------------------------------------------------

For those who want a review of the Eve Carson case, here's a ton of it from WRAL. Lots & lots of articles. I just re-watched the whole Carson trial just to get refreshed (that's really not the right word here, "refreshed" sounds way too nice) and primed for this trial. Lovette is soul-less, IMO, and I feel sure that his time in the :jail: has not made him any more of a human. <gag>

Anyway, here's the slew of stuff:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/10460228/

I am sure the prosecution team wish he would have plead to the same sentence he was serving. That way they could have saved the tax payers a bunch of money. imo

This will be interesting seeing a different county in NC court proceedings. I am still looking forward to it.

I didn't watch Little Tegan's trial as it was too sad for me and I know that is being selfish considering what she endured.

I guess we will wait until a jury is seated then. I will be :hanging: around until then.

Because of Lovette's age the DP could never be a consideration, correct?
Too bad!!!

JMO

Because of Lovette's age the DP could never be a consideration, correct?
Too bad!!!

JMO

Yep, JF, too bad... No DP for convicts who were under 18 when the crime was perpetrated. It has been the law for a while in NC -- it may be a federal law, IDK. Another twist to the Carson verdict, as you prolly know, was that at the time he was convicted, the only punishment for Murder 1st was the DP or LWOP (and in NC, LWOP means LWOP). Not long after Lovette was sentenced & in prison, the US Supreme Court decided that LWOP could not be automaticallygiven to someone who was under 18 at the time of the commission of the offense -- it would have to be argued using mitigating and aggravating circumstances. So, the principals of the Carson trial re-convened to determine Lovette's sentence. Judge Baddour decided to give him LWOP due to whatever factors -- near 18, especially heinous, etc., etc., etc. It was appealed by his attorney, Bethea-Shields, and another hearing was done. Again Baddour sentenced him to LWOP. So far it has stuck this time :jail: --
icon6.png

ETA and unrelated to above: I have not seen any "Laurence Lovette" tweets since the lunch break. Oh, well. Will have to catch the local news to see if we have any seats with jurors in them.

Here's another little news tidbit -- a 9mm handgun was allegedly used in Mahato's shooting. From the article: "Mahato was fatally wounded with a 9 mm handgun that investigators said was a ballistics match to the weapon used to shoot two robbery victims in their legs."
And also from the article: "Durham police stated at the time that the homicide was part of a citywide robbery spree."

Hmmmm, we may hear more about these details at trial. Who was the owner of that weapon? Were investigators able to trace ownership?

An interesting little article, IMO.

http://www.chapelhillnews.com/2013/12/18/3470267/judge-rejects-request-to-move.html

Hi, JF -- I haven't seen a thing -- not even a tweet. I guess we'll get a bit on the WRAL news at 5:00 or 6:00 or both. But as you know, the NC court system operates from 9:30am -- 5:00pm, M--F, unless a holiday, or unless the Court makes an announcement, etc. And they rarely stay open after 5:00pm.

Hi, JF -- I haven't seen a thing -- not even a tweet. I guess we'll get a bit on the WRAL news at 5:00 or 6:00 or both. But as you know, the NC court system operates from 9:30am -- 5:00pm, M--F, unless a holiday, or unless the Court makes an announcement, etc. And they rarely stay open after 5:00pm.

Thanks, Bordem........I have been trying to catch up a little on the background with the links you provided.Much appreciated.
There are just no words I could use to describe this defendant, other than selfish, cruel, heartless , and entitled.
Hope the trial gets started soon, the state has a lot of witnesses to call. I am curious how they will bring up the murder of Eve Carson, the Judge has ruled they can mention her, but not too many details.
I hate when the defendant has more rights than the victim...... :(

Question is will they seat the 3 tomorrow and have opening on Friday or wait until Monday?

Probably Monday, there may be motions to be filed or other things to discuss and get out of the way. Sometimes stipulations are made, and this is the time to do it!

Sorry for asking, but any chance the defendant will take the stand?

Thanks for posting.......I watched the video and I saw that Judge J. Hardin will be presiding over the case. Can you please tell me who the prosecutors are?
I can not believe they offered him a plea..... :(

I think I may follow this until we get news on the other 3 NC cases

bbm

Good Morning, Folks!!

JF, been meaning to ask -- which 3 other NC cases?? Peterson? Cooper?

Followed by Jen's Trial Diaries and 1 other
Tamara Gibbs ABC11 &#8207;@TGibbsABC11 4m

INTERESTING: Another potential juror excused. Says he can't be fair, impartial. Says #LaurenceLovette attended school where he taught.

Julia Sims &#8207;@WRALJulia 2h
DPD officer to testify. #laurencelovette atty: state guilty of violation for withholding investigative notes

Followed by Jen's Trial Diaries and 1 other
Tamara Gibbs ABC11 &#8207;@TGibbsABC11 4m

INTERESTING: Another potential juror excused. Says he can't be fair, impartial. Says #LaurenceLovette attended school where he taught.

Julia Sims &#8207;@WRALJulia 2h
DPD officer to testify. #laurencelovette atty: state guilty of violation for withholding investigative notes

bbm

Wow Borndem I saw those words I bolded and thought the case was dismissed. Not that it still couldn't be, but geeze come on NC courts get your act together. imo

Thanks for the update!

ps how do you get the picture's on with the tweets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?