NC NC - Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz, 23, Raped/throat slit in front of her 2yo, Leland, 23 Feb 1987

Since the house was near a flower store, maybe no one paid attention to the usual ebb and flow of the business, and the killer looked like a delivery person bringing flowers or a parcel?
The windows in the house seem to be easy to look into, wondering if the perp was also a peeping tom.
speculation, imo.

It just seems like anybody with a hint of deviance would have been scrutinized. Maybe they stayed well hidden? I keep going in the circle to thinking if this was the only murder committed by the same perp? It’s hard to see this type getting away with a “good job” in their mind, only once.

Who Killed Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz? Nearly Three Decades Later, Murder Remains Unsolved
"Lorene Potter ran from her daughter's blood-spattered bedroom in Leland, N.C. on Feb. 23, 1987, her grandson held tightly in her arms.

"Mean man hurt Mommy, Mommy cry," he had said when she scooped him up and fled through the rear door, Potter later told her family. He was just a day shy of his second birthday.

Potter ran to the florist shop next door. The florist called 911 and before long, multiple patrol cruisers with the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office lined the driveway leading up to the Village Road home of 23-year-old Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz. A forensics team and agents from the State Bureau of Investigation soon joined the officers.

"It was a very violent, brutal, and chaotic scene," Tony Cummings, a retired investigator with the State Bureau of Investigation, told The Huffington Post on Wednesday."

"Godwin, the criminal investigative psychologist, disagrees.
"I believe the individual had been stalking her," he said. "The person was comfortable watching the house and going in. He knew there was not an adult male in the home, so he had to be watching."

Godwin added, "The newspaper ad could be a ruse left at the crime scene to taunt [investigators]."

For Braswell, Godwin's theory makes the most sense.

"She had started receiving strange calls every so often before she was killed," Braswell said. "The calls always came after she got home and the person would hang up, so that's another reason we are thinking somebody was watching her."

While the two men disagree on the killer's modus operandi, they do both believe the killer is an experienced criminal, who left the Mintz's son alive because he was confident the child would not be able to identify him.

The killer, both men said, also slid in and out of the home during a short window of opportunity, without anyone taking notice.

"It is one of the things that stands out the most," Godwin said."

Since the house was near a flower store, maybe no one paid attention to the usual ebb and flow of the business, and the killer looked like a delivery person bringing flowers or a parcel?
This is possible, imo. As Beverly had the attention (wanted and unwanted) of many men, it's quite possible that flowers were delivered to her house regularly. Quite frankly, I think a look at the flowershop's records (employees, customers, deliveries) would be helpful. It would be interesting to know if LE ever pursued this.
The windows in the house seem to be easy to look into, wondering if the perp was also a peeping tom.
speculation, imo.
I'm doubting this. I think a peeping tom would've been noticed in that neighborhood.

RSBM

Possibly after the killer finished, and the rage subsided, he didn't want to look at his handiwork, or perhaps he was reminded of the presence of the boy, and covered Mama's face to settle him.

But there were several "unwanted admirers" in her life. He could also very well have been a customer where she worked-- someone she didn't really pay any attention to (and it angered him).

If the killer was also the obscene caller, he could've deduced there wasn't a man in the home, through the obscene calls. He spoke with both Angela and Beverly, depending on who answered.

What strikes me is that the ad was neatly clipped, not torn, from the paper. And it was completely removed from the newspaper, as opposed to the newspaper being left there, with the ad circled.
Also the "circle" appears to be made by a rubber stamp. So who used a rubber stamp (with an oval) and red ink in their profession?

I wonder if he could've been a mailman or utility worker (meter reader, etc), or posing as one. That would allow him to carry a bag containing the "tools" to commit the crime into the house without attracting attention.

I partially disagree with Godwin's assessment, but the case is very solvable. All just my opinion.
But, if it was a delivery or a postman, how would he know about the newspaper advert and called the mum? He is most likely to be admirer from her workplace, he, maybe, knew her work colleques or somebody knew her through work/ colleques. In saying that, did she say anything about the bed at work that she was selling the bed?? Was she working at the time? She is obviously short of cash.
They should have reinterview her work colleques

This is possible, imo. As Beverly had the attention (wanted and unwanted) of many men, it's quite possible that flowers were delivered to her house regularly. Quite frankly, I think a look at the flowershop's records (employees, customers, deliveries) would be helpful. It would be interesting to know if LE ever pursued this.

I'm doubting this. I think a peeping tom would've been noticed in that neighborhood.

It just seems like anybody with a hint of deviance would have been scrutinized. Maybe they stayed well hidden? I keep going in the circle to thinking if this was the only murder committed by the same perp? It’s hard to see this type getting away with a “good job” in their mind, only once.
Well his DNA is on the database, would have been revealed unless he killed someone and that person has never been found, this is possible

I thought it was revealed that it was the neighbor who bore a resemblance to Hennis, also owned a Members Only jacket, and also drove a like model that was seen near the Eastburn residence. There are alot of “coincidences” if you want to call it that, but that’s not unusual for any case. DNA only proved that he had intercourse with her, which he lied about because he was a married man at the time. Its not far fetched to believe that they had an affair, its actually quite common on military bases, and amongst military spouses when the service-member is deployed or away. At any rate, any unrelated DNA should be tested to help solve other similar unrelated crimes, such as Beverly’s case. I think the fact that Mrs. Eastburn and Ms. Mintz both placed classified ads, received strange phone calls, etc, could point to a potential serial killer who targeted those type of women. Also, if Hennis committed other similar crimes, then he should be held accountable for those as well.
But that scetch is identical to him even if the jacket or car were the similar. I think they investigated that there is no link between those murders. I read it somewhere.
And also unknown DNA is sitting on database from beverley s case. There is still no match

I keep going in the circle to thinking if this was the only murder committed by the same perp? It’s hard to see this type getting away with a “good job” in their mind, only once.
Well his DNA is on the database, would have been revealed unless he killed someone and that person has never been found, this is possible
RSBM
If Beverly was the sole object of this man's fantasies and he had no criminal record, I can see this being his only murder. jmo

Beverly was receiving harassing calls prior to her murder, wondering if her phone was within sightlines of a window?
It is easy to imagine a creep with binoculars watching her reactions to the phone calls. imo .speculation.
rbbm
''Potter ran to the florist shop next door. The florist called 911 and before long, multiple patrol cruisers with the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office lined the driveway leading up to the Village Road home of 23-year-old Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz. A forensics team and agents from the State Bureau of Investigation soon joined the officers.''
"She had started receiving strange calls every so often before she was killed," Braswell said. "The calls always came after she got home and the person would hang up, so that's another reason we are thinking somebody was watching her."

And also unknown DNA is sitting on database from beverley s case. There is still no match

This will be the key I think.

RSBM
If Beverly was the sole object of this man's fantasies and he had no criminal record, I can see this being his only murder. jmo
But he committed this crime in such methadotical way and left everyone in puzzle to this day. There is a possibility that this man has committed this sort of crime before and might have got away with it. There must be loads of disappearing cases in the area

Beverly was receiving harassing calls prior to her murder, wondering if her phone was within sightlines of a window?
It is easy to imagine a creep with binoculars watching her reactions to the phone calls. imo .speculation.
rbbm
''Potter ran to the florist shop next door. The florist called 911 and before long, multiple patrol cruisers with the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office lined the driveway leading up to the Village Road home of 23-year-old Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz. A forensics team and agents from the State Bureau of Investigation soon joined the officers.''
Were they not able trace the phone calls back in the days?

But he committed this crime in such methadotical way and left everyone in puzzle to this day. There is a possibility that this man has committed this sort of crime before and might have got away with it. There must be loads of disappearing cases in the area
But this was a case of a woman being brutally murdered, and the body left behind, along with lots of DNA. If the killer had committed this same crime elsewhere, I'd think there'd be a match in CODIS, etc.

Last edited:

The next door used to be a flower shop, did they even question the owner to see if any knowledge of it?

But this was a case of a woman being brutally murdered, and the body left behind, along with lots of DNA. If the killer had committed this same crime elsewhere, I'd think there'd be a match in CODIS, etc.
Yes, but I meant disappeared people

RSBM

Possibly after the killer finished, and the rage subsided, he didn't want to look at his handiwork, or perhaps he was reminded of the presence of the boy, and covered Mama's face to settle him.

But there were several "unwanted admirers" in her life. He could also very well have been a customer where she worked-- someone she didn't really pay any attention to (and it angered him).

If the killer was also the obscene caller, he could've deduced there wasn't a man in the home, through the obscene calls. He spoke with both Angela and Beverly, depending on who answered.

What strikes me is that the ad was neatly clipped, not torn, from the paper. And it was completely removed from the newspaper, as opposed to the newspaper being left there, with the ad circled.
Also the "circle" appears to be made by a rubber stamp. So who used a rubber stamp (with an oval) and red ink in their profession?

I wonder if he could've been a mailman or utility worker (meter reader, etc), or posing as one. That would allow him to carry a bag containing the "tools" to commit the crime into the house without attracting attention.

I partially disagree with Godwin's assessment, but the case is very solvable. All just my opinion.

RSBM

That rubber stamp is a good point, who would have used that type of circle with a stamp in 1987?? There is no info as to they looked into this detail, or have they?
There is a big possibility this man may have business and may well known in the area. No one saw anything??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dressie
Back