GUILTY NC - Deah Barakat, 23, his wife & her sister murdered, Chapel Hill, 10 Feb 2015

I would assume American, but they are Muslim names. This is probably a hate crime, but what seems so odd to me is the shooter was an atheist? That just doesn't make sense.

his fb page is littered with anti-religion, anti-god posts. he may blame Islam for the things that ISIS has done.

Chapel%20Hill_zpszsocygfc.jpg

Rest in Peace.
:rose:

i didnt see anything that would be considered hateful on his facebook, maybe i didnt go back far enough tho. is there any source for this? maybe his twitter?
He seems pretty hateful toward organized religion and its followers.

his fb page is littered with anti-religion, anti-god posts. he may blame Islam for the things that ISIS has done.

I hadn't gotten that far. Wow. He is filled with hate and his FB page is frightening. Looking through his posts I think he blames all religions for everything. Doesn't look like he discriminates. I was surprised at the report because atheists aren't known for violent crimes, and personally I've never met an atheist so hateful and angry.

can someone post something they consider hateful from his facebook page?

"anti" does not necessarily equal "hateful", again, maybe i didnt scroll back far enough. thanx.

He has a close up photo posted of his 38 revolver with ammo on FB. I suspect this gun lover kept his weapon handy always, and used it when he lost his temper over yet another perceived parking space transgression. In other words, a wound-too-tight nut. I don't think he killed them because they were Muslim, although their apparent affiliation with an organized religion probably fueled his rage. I bet he would have been equally enraged with some fundamentalist Christians violating his parking standards. But of course I'm just speculating.

Too bad he kept the gun so close by. JMO.

can someone post something they consider hateful from his facebook page?

"anti" does not necessarily equal "hateful", again, maybe i didnt scroll back far enough. thanx.

He calls religious people morons, horrible, ignorant, pathetic, he says religion is slavery, etc.

And of course Hitler shows up with a quote supporting Christianity.

Hicks' wife, Karen Haggerty Hicks, is holding a press conference at 3pm ET per WTVD, the local ABC news affiliate. She has an attorney, they said.

JMO. I don't read hate in what he posts on facebook. It's more like disgust. Like people that have religious beliefs are ignorant and they need to smarten up. < which is not a intelligent view in my opinion.

I agree with boodles- The convenience of his gun was not good.

He calls religious people morons, horrible, ignorant, pathetic, he says religion is slavery, etc.

And of course Hitler shows up with a quote supporting Christianity.

thanx for the reply, im all the way back to 2011 and im only seeing the hitler picture and actual quote, and the other picture with a quote of someone else using "morons" with another adjective we cant use here.

admittedly i dont really use facebook so maybe im missing something but none of what i saw is his own words its just reposts of images, i looked under the images for comments on them to see if he had posts that ranted against religion but did not see any.

if they are there and im missing them and you could give me a date for one of his hate filled rants i would appreciate it.

It is the #1 trending story on Twitter since last night, but not covered in mainstream news. Apparently the three were Muslim students. Police have arrested a 46 year old self-proclaimed atheist with a lot of hate posts in his social media accounts.

Link to this please.

Congress has defined a hate crime as a &#8220;criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender&#8217;s bias against a race, religion, disability, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/civilrights/hate_crimes/overview

Hmm. I'm thinking this through. Feel free to point out what I've missed.

in part by an offender&#8217;s bias against a race, religion
From his Facebook, I would say he had a bias against anyone who was religious.

So, if they were arguing over a parking space that would not have to do with religion. BUT, because of the victims' head scarves, I'm going to assume he knew they were religious. So did his bias, in part, cause him to kill these three students? If so, then I would define it as a hate crime.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/civilrights/hate_crimes/overview

Hmm. I'm thinking this through. Feel free to point out what I've missed.

From his Facebook, I would say he had a bias against anyone who was religious.

So, if they were arguing over a parking space that would not have to do with religion. BUT, because of the victims' head scarves, I'm going to assume he knew they were religious. So did his bias, in part, cause him to kill these three students? If so, then I would define it as a hate crime.

&#8220;Our preliminary investigation indicates that the crime was motivated by an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking,&#8221; the department said in a statement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-shooting-near-university-of-north-carolina/

bbm, Yoda everything that I have read indicates it was ongoing problem.

Farris Barakat, Deah Barakat's brother, said Hicks had confronted his brother previously about a dispute over a parking space, adding that he never heard Hicks make any anti-Muslim remarks. When Farris Barakat had visited his brother, Hicks had yelled at him, telling him he was parking in the wrong space, Farris Barakat told ABC News. Farris Barakat added that he tried to respond in a calm manner, not wanting to upset Hicks further, and said his brother also treated Hicks in a respectful manner.
Hicks showed up at Barakat and Mohammad's home in the past with a gun on his belt, and Mohammad had confided that she was afraid of Hicks

Duke University&#8217;s Imam Abdullah Antepli said, &#8220;This may or may not be a hate crime,&#8221; adding that authorities have been &#8220;extremely helpful and supportive.&#8221;
http://abcnews.go.com/US/chapel-hil...ds-clashed-neighbor-victims/story?id=28882062

oh my. It's an emotional subject. RIP Deah Shaddy Barakat, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha. Many prayers for their families.

Just a few minutes ago on WRAL (Raleigh NC), they reported that the wife is in the process of dissolving the marriage. Whether this was in process prior to yesterday's murders was not clear. She had also experienced domestic violence from him (pinching, slapping), but had never reported these incidents to LE. In her press conference, she said the one thing she does know about him is that there was no religious motivation and there had been an ongoing dispute regarding parking with the neighbors. I took that to mean neighbors plural, but that's just my inference. He was a full time student at Durham Tech, studying to be a paralegal. He would have graduated in May.

mediacdn.wral.com:1935/vods3/_definst_/mp4:amazons3/cbcnewmedia_wowza/168465-wife_presser-576x324-15-768.mp4/playlist.m3u8

My posts were deleted and may or may not have violated TOS. I will be especially careful to not quote any other user with this post, so it cannot be assumed this post is intended for any specific person.

-----

I've seen that LE and some people online have speculated that these murders may have been the result of an "ongoing parking dispute", with the obvious inference being that they were not racially or religiously motivated. I take issue with that, because parking disputes are relatively minor things in our world. If anyone can provide a link or story or something to suggest that the suspect has a history of intimidating, attacking, even shooting other people over minor arguments, then that might prove this suspect murdered these three young people irrespective of their beliefs. In other words, not a hate crime.

Until that gets proven, that he had a history of pulling out his gun and firing it at white atheists, Christians, Muslims, etc. Then it's safe to assume that he had not murdered anyone else in cold blood before.

So what was the reason for him (allegedly) killing these people? It was not a parking dispute. The reason was they were visibly Muslim, he hated them, and they gave him a reason to concentrate and direct his anger at them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back