GUILTY NC - Deah Barakat, 23, his wife & her sister murdered, Chapel Hill, 10 Feb 2015

My posts were deleted and may or may not have violated TOS. I will be especially careful to not quote any other user with this post, so it cannot be assumed this post is intended for any specific person.

-----

I've seen that LE and some people online have speculated that these murders may have been the result of an "ongoing parking dispute", with the obvious inference being that they were not racially or religiously motivated. I take issue with that, because parking disputes are relatively minor things in our world. If anyone can provide a link or story or something to suggest that the suspect has a history of intimidating, attacking, even shooting other people over minor arguments, then that might prove this suspect murdered these three young people irrespective of their beliefs. In other words, not a hate crime.

Until that gets proven, that he had a history of pulling out his gun and firing it at white atheists, Christians, Muslims, etc. Then it's safe to assume that he had not murdered anyone else in cold blood before.

So what was the reason for him (allegedly) killing these people? It was not a parking dispute. The reason was they were visibly Muslim, he hated them, and they gave him a reason to concentrate and direct his anger at them.

it is all well and good to hold this opinion and state it as such, it certainly is something to consider. but there is no evidence to support it right now, and there is evidence to support that it was over a neighborly dispute.

i believe you said earlier that 99% of his social media posts were hate filled rants, i had asked for some proof of this claim, thanx for any further info. (dates he made the posts with hate filled rants, what sites he made them on, assuming they are not something you would feel comfortable repeating word for word)

thanx.

Sorry, but if Cory Batey was not charged with a hate crime after raping and peeing on the victim while saying, "this is for 300 years of slavery, bit**", then this is not a hate crime.

My posts were deleted and may or may not have violated TOS. I will be especially careful to not quote any other user with this post, so it cannot be assumed this post is intended for any specific person.

-----

I've seen that LE and some people online have speculated that these murders may have been the result of an "ongoing parking dispute", with the obvious inference being that they were not racially or religiously motivated. I take issue with that, because parking disputes are relatively minor things in our world. If anyone can provide a link or story or something to suggest that the suspect has a history of intimidating, attacking, even shooting other people over minor arguments, then that might prove this suspect murdered these three young people irrespective of their beliefs. In other words, not a hate crime.

Until that gets proven, that he had a history of pulling out his gun and firing it at white atheists, Christians, Muslims, etc. Then it's safe to assume that he had not murdered anyone else in cold blood before.

So what was the reason for him (allegedly) killing these people? It was not a parking dispute. The reason was they were visibly Muslim, he hated them, and they gave him a reason to concentrate and direct his anger at them.

People shot over parking spaces:
http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/regional/2014/06/27/11510865/.
Here is link with several instances:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...what-they-tell-us-about-violence-and-beliefs/

Sorry, but if Cory Batey was not charged with a hate crime after raping and peeing on the victim while saying, "this is for 300 years of slavery, bit**", then this is not a hate crime.
omg I did not know he said that.

I have to shine a light on the victims here, what a loss to humanity. They were bright and vibrant and so full of life. In looking at them on their profiles, they were raising funds to go to Syria this summer to work on Syrian Refugees painful dental issues....What a horrid loss....My sympathy for the family ....RIP

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/civilrights/hate_crimes/overview

Hmm. I'm thinking this through. Feel free to point out what I've missed.

From his Facebook, I would say he had a bias against anyone who was religious.

So, if they were arguing over a parking space that would not have to do with religion. BUT, because of the victims' head scarves, I'm going to assume he knew they were religious. So did his bias, in part, cause him to kill these three students? If so, then I would define it as a hate crime.

BBM
I agree with you. He might have even targeted them and started the original arguments with them because he assumed they were religious and/or Muslims. I know on his FB he talks about ALL religions, but he could very well specifically hate Muslims.
JMO

People shot over parking spaces

Unless those incidents involved the suspect in this case, then they are irrelevant when it comes to the motive in this particular triple homicide. Yes, people do get killed for all kinds of reasons. But what is the reason in this particular case? This man, rather than describing himself as merely an atheist (people who have as much right to live peacefully in this country as anyone else, I might add) -- described himself as a militant anti-theist.

i believe you said earlier that 99% of his social media posts were hate filled rants, i had asked for some proof of this claim, thanx for any further info.

As another poster mentioned, his social media posts mock people of religious beliefs with a wide array of insults. Including this one, in which he explicitly states his intent to insult and spew hatred:

“I give your religion as much respect as your religion gives me,” he wrote in a long rant under the Religion section of his page, where he identifies as atheist. “There’s nothing complicated about it, and I have every right to insult a religion that goes out of its way to insult, to judge, and to condemn me as an inadequate human being — which your religion does with self-righteous gusto. When it comes to insults, your religion started this, not me. If your religion kept its big mouth shut, so would I. But given that it doesn’t, and given the enormous harm that your religion has done in this world, I’d say that I have not only a right, but a duty, to insult it, as does every rational, thinking person on this planet.

As a Christian, I can assure you my faith recognizes everyone's individual right to live peacefully and harmoniously amongst each other, and live according to their own beliefs, the complete opposite of whatever this demented, evil, and twisted man falsely claimed in order to justify his own internal demons.

-----

Your saying since he hasn't killed anyone before, this had to be a hate crime?

Your saying since he hasn't killed anyone before, this had to be a hate crime?

How many times in this man's life do you think he had been involved in an argument, and not resorted to killing the person(s) he believed had offended him?
Now take it one step further ... how many times in this man's life, would you guess, might he have been involved in "ongoing" minor disputes with other person(s) he believed had offended him? And not ever killed any of them?

You mean to tell me, that this man has probably been involved in thousands of disagreements in his lifetime, most of the up close and personal kind with members of his own race whose beliefs he probably couldn't know at first glance ... but one day his next door neighbors are wearing head scarves and get under his skin, and he kills them ... and it's just a coincidence? Just a parking dispute?

He murdered those kids because they were Muslims and they were visibly Muslim and lived next door to him and he had to see it with his own face every day. And it bothered him. And (in his mind) they finally gave him a reason to shoot them in the head execution style and take out his anger on them as he undoubtedly had been wanting to do for some time.

How many times in this man's life do you think he had been involved in an argument, and not resorted to killing the person(s) he believed had offended him?
Now take it one step further ... how many times in this man's life, would you guess, might he have been involved in "ongoing" disputes with other person(s) he believed had offended him? And not ever killed any of them?

How many times had he been involved in ongoing disputes with people who lived in close proximity to him, and whose faith they wore so visibly, right in front of his face?
A faith he proclaimed to hate and desired to insult at every opportunity...

You mean to tell me, that this man has probably been involved in thousands of disagreements in his lifetime, most of the up close and personal kind with members of his own race whose beliefs he probably couldn't know at first glance ... but one day his next door neighbors are wearing head scarves and get under his skin, and he kills them ... and it's just a coincidence? Just a parking dispute?

He murdered those kids because they were Muslims and they were visibly Muslim and lived next door to him and he had to see it with his own face every day. And it bothered him. And (in his mind) they finally gave him a reason to shoot them in the head execution style and take out his anger on them as he undoubtedly had been wanting to do for some time.

Being that you feel he hated Muslims so much and that their clothing set him off, do you think he has rage killed others who wore similar garb and hid their bodies? The Research Triangle is a pretty diverse place and I can't believe these are the first Muslims he has seen.

Being that you feel he hated Muslims so much and that their clothing set him off, do you think he has rage killed others who wore similar garb and hid their bodies? The Research Triangle is a pretty diverse place and I can't believe these are the first Muslims he has seen.

They were his next-door neighbors though. As opposed to random people he might see and never see again, these people were a (small) part of his life just because they lived next door. Imagine him crossing paths with Muslim women covering their heads, and only making a snide comment about it and walking away in disgust. Or seeing Muslims on TV, and commenting to his associates how much he hated them. But when they happened to live next door to him, just by seeing them every day they offended him over and over again. Eventually, it reached the point where he killed them. Because yes, they had ongoing disputes. He had an ongoing problem with them being visibly Muslim and having the audacity to live next door to him and force him to see them every day.

jmo

Plenty of people commit hate crimes against members of groups they've dealt with numerous times. Those men charged with a hate crime (the truck murder) in Mississippi - they had certainly been around black people their whole lives without murdering anyone.

Plenty of people commit hate crimes against members of groups they've dealt with numerous times. Those men charged with a hate crime (the truck murder) in Mississippi - they had certainly been around black people their whole lives without murdering anyone.

Yeah, I get that, but that wasn't what I got out of the post I was responding to.

Yeah, I get that, but that wasn't what I got out of the post I was responding to.

I didn't think it would need to be explained that people react differently to those they only see once in their life in passing, as opposed to those they see and interact with regularly.

it also shouldnt need to be said that people react differently to people that they have ongoing feuds with, as opposed to any other number of people that they interact with.

thanx for the quote of something he had said regarding religion btw, like i said before it is certainly something they should be looking into, i just have not seen evidence that the situation here is more about his intolerance and less about the long standing dispute over parking.

CNN had an interview with a family friend who just claimed that this was absolutely a hate crime, yet the CNN person did not ask one single question regarding why they thought that or what evidence there was for it.

the person (man) did say that the man that was killed (RIP) lived there for some time and there was no problem, but then he got married and the two women (RIP) moved in with him and that was when the problem started, the man said that it was obviously because the women wore headscarves and could be identified as muslim - an obvious question to ask at this point would be did the owmen have their own cars and that is also when people from that home started using the parking spot/s that started the dispute? but nothing like that was asked...

i understand it was not the time to grill the person like an investigator so that is not what i am suggesting.

did this man have other disputes with other neighbors?

I was agreeing with you. Like you said, he's probably been around other Muslims and not killed them, and that doesn't mean this is or isn't a hate crime. (My guess is it is.)

Of course it's possible I'm totally lost and missed the point entirely. It's been known to happen.

JMO

Imad Ahmad, who lived in the condo where his friends were killed until Barakat and Mohammed were married in December, said Hicks complained about once a month that the two men were parking in a vistor's space as well as their assigned spot.
"He would come over to the door. Knock on the door and then have a gun on his hip saying 'you guys need to not park here,'" said Ahmad, a graduate student in chemistry at UNC-Chapel Hill. "He did it again after they got married."

A woman who lives near the scene described Hicks as short-tempered. "Anytime that I saw him or saw interaction with him or friends or anyone in the parking lot or myself, he was angry," Samantha Maness said of Hicks. "He was very angry, anytime I saw him."

http://news.yahoo.com/man-arrested-3-shot-death-north-carolina-080105974.html

it also shouldnt need to be said that people react differently to people that they have ongoing feuds with, as opposed to any other number of people that they interact with.

Right, and that was a point I made. He's undoubtedly had ongoing feuds with other people throughout his life, as we all have. Why did he not kill those people? Why did he kill these people?

Right, and that was a point I made. He's undoubtedly had ongoing feuds with other people throughout his life, as we all have. Why did he not kill those people? Why did he kill these people?
some people have a breaking point jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back