Identified! NC - Jacksonville, in woods off Marine Blvd, Dec 1995 - Randi Stacey Boothe-Wilson

Omg they identified her first as a WHITE woman w NO Children AND she was a BLACK woman With Children. Omg how long did it take before they realized they were wrong? Things like this just really makes me wonder just how many remains that have been identified wrong:eek:

According to the article, not until the DNA came back with the match. I agree about the mistakes.

Websleuths page: Found Deceased - NY-Manhattan, Randi Stacey Boothe-Wilson, Oct 28, 1994

UPDATE: JPD: Cold case DNA answer brings 10K more questions

At first, Boothe-Wilson’s remains were analyzed by the anthropology department at the University of North Carolina Wilmington which identified her as a white woman without children. Garbett said this information was later disproved when Boothe-Wilson was identified as a black mother of three.

Exactly! :(

Finally, may you rest in peace and your killer be brought to justice, Randi.

UPDATE: JPD: Cold case DNA answer brings 10K more questions

SNIPPED FROM ARTICLE

Garbett said he spent a lot of time following leads about who Boothe-Wilson might be, but many of them turned up short or weren’t a match.

Still, Garbett said there are still many steps to take in determining what happened to Boothe-Wilson and urged those who may have known her or know something about the case to reach out to the police department.

“Unless somebody steps up all we really have is a picture and knowing her name,” Garbett said.

JPD Deputy Chief Ashley Weaver agreed, saying identifying Boothe-Wilson is important, but it’s the first step before the “real work” begins.

One question got answered but now there’s 10,000 more,” Weaver said.

SNIP

Even the smallest bit of information may be of value to the detectives working on this case,” Yaniero is quoted as saying.​

Anyone with information about Stacey Boothe-Wilson is asked to contact JPD Detective Bob Garbett at 910-938-6520 rgarbett@jacksonvillenc.gov or Crime Stoppers at 910-938-3273. Crime Stoppers offers cash rewards of up to $2,500 for information determined to be of value or assistance to law enforcement. Callers to Crime Stoppers are not required to reveal their identities. Information can also be anonymously texted via Text-A-Tip by typing TIP4CSJAX and your message to 274637 (CRIMES)

Body identified as missing sister, mom Stacey Boothe-Wilson, but questions remain in cold case

Freeman learned with certainty Wednesday that her sister, Randi Stacey Boothe-Wilson, had been dead for years, that hers were the skeletal remains discovered in woods near a North Carolina fitness club in late 1995.

SNIP

The ID was confirmed by the North Carolina Office of the Chief Medical Examiner following additional testing and a match to dental records, and announced by Jacksonville police on Tuesday.

Rest in peace, Randi.

Woman whose body was found 23 years ago ID'd as missing Greenburgh resident

DNA from a postage stamp provided by Greenburgh police helped authorities determine that remains found more than 23 years ago in North Carolina were those of a town resident who had gone missing.

SNIP

She disappeared the same day her estranged husband came from California to visit the family.

Even though Boothe-Wilson never said goodbye to her children, Greenburgh police initially treated the case as that of a woman trying to escape a troubled marriage.

Unknown at the time was that Boothe-Wilson had been dead for at least seven years. Her remains were found near a Jacksonville fitness center in December 1995...

SNIP

Officials say it’s not known how Boothe-Wilson died, it’s believed her death was not accidental because of where her remains were found.

Woman whose body was found 23 years ago ID'd as missing Greenburgh resident

DNA from a postage stamp provided by Greenburgh police helped authorities determine that remains found more than 23 years ago in North Carolina were those of a town resident who had gone missing.

SNIP

She disappeared the same day her estranged husband came from California to visit the family.

Even though Boothe-Wilson never said goodbye to her children, Greenburgh police initially treated the case as that of a woman trying to escape a troubled marriage.

Unknown at the time was that Boothe-Wilson had been dead for at least seven years. Her remains were found near a Jacksonville fitness center in December 1995...

SNIP

Officials say it’s not known how Boothe-Wilson died, it’s believed her death was not accidental because of where her remains were found.

In case anyone else is wondering what “dead for at least seven years” could mean, it refers to the DNA processing that LE did in 2002.

Daughter reflects on years of uncertainty over Stacey Boothe-Wilson's fate

"He told police she had called his mother's house on Saturday to tell them where the van was. Leslye said she believes she spoke by phone with her mom that day, but only remembers hearing that she was in midtown Manhattan."
-Notice this information was straight from his hearsay?

"Later that week, Earle said he received a letter from his wife, with her credit card and Metro-North pass. Police sent the envelope and stamps to the Westchester County forensics lab, where a DNA profile was obtained from one of the stamps and submitted to a national database. It was that profile that eventually led to a match last month to bone marrow extracted from the remains in North Carolina."
-If you go to the article it shows a picture of the letter which I find strange being the sender address is the same as the receiver and there is a postal stamp. Why not just stick it in the mailbox or leave it on the desk? Since she licked the stamp I wonder if the mail was an unfinished one and someone added in the rest.

"Earle also gave police letters from Boothe-Wilson to each of the kids. Leslye said she only saw a copy of the letter when she was 15 and no longer has it.

Her father's relatives tried to convince her that Boothe-Wilson was troubled, leaving the family and not looking back."
-I wonder if a hand writing analyst has compared these letters to her handwriting.

"She said a Greenburgh detective told her in 2001 that they did not think Boothe-Wilson wrote the letters. "
- Who would have then is the question.. Right now circumstancial evidence is pointing to her ex-husband. She goes missing during his visit and all information on her disappearance came from him. The location of the car, and the multiple letters.

"But there was a link to the area. Earle and Stacey had been stationed in Camp Lejeune, had lived in Jacksonville in the mid 1980s and both their sons were born there."
- As soon as I found out she was a marine her location had significance to me because of the Marine base there ( I'm local to neighboring communities).

"'I kind of find it weird that if she wanted to leave and not be found, why would she go there, where her sons were born and the family had ties?' Leslye said."
- I second that! A woman who recently relocated her children cross country doesn't sound like someone trying to run from her life. There is something fishy about her disappearance.

The return address being the same as the sender's address is a trick for increasing the odds that a letter will make it to that address. People typically use it for the once-common "self addressed stamped envelope" that used to be standard for receiving a reply. It was also common when you were traveling and writing letters home.

People who commit suicide often go to a familiar place where they were happy to end their lives. I haven't seen any indication she was suicidal, though with that much disturbance and disruption it's possible. Killers often leave bodies in familiar locations. I see somme indication that's possible.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back