NC NC - James 'Martin' Roberts, 19, Boone, 21 April 2016

I dug into the depths of Google Search yesterday. I found in public records that he received a DUI last August. This would answer why he is at Caldwell, and was suspended from App. Now, my question is, was it confirmed that he would return to App in the fall 2016? I could see that being a reason to want to disappear if he was really counting on being accepted in the Fall.

Everyone makes a mistake, and especially in the Town of Boone they don't let you forget.

I was thinking about his disappearance a lot yesterday,and oddly enough at Lowes Hardware there was a guy sitting out front, tucked behind the adirondack chairs. I thought for sure this is him. Unfortunately, he did not meet the description. He looked about 180 lbs, very muscular, and probably 5'6-5'7.

What a good detective you are!

It's been 2 months and Martin still can't be found. The police seem to be adamant that he was not kidnapped or killed, but instead ran away or is in hiding.

I once read this article where this woman wrote about her experience of having a psychotic break and running away. She got in her car and just kept driving where she eventually ended up in a completely different state and was taken to a mental institution by police (she had no i.d. on her and she couldn't remember her name). While in the institution, she eventually remembered everything and the doctors, after acknowledging that she was not a danger to herself or others, let her go. Although she returned home shortly after, she was extremely nervous because she was embarrassed and didn't know how to explain what had happened. When she got back, she found out her ex boyfriend had been interrogated by the police, considered him a suspect and were building a case against him because they thought he might have murdered her.

Perhaps the same thing happened to Martin? Cops are looking at empty vacation homes thinking he maybe there and living off of food in the pantries. However, he may be in another state all together (Tennessee maybe?) and in a mental institution. OR he just could be afraid of returning because of all the panic he's caused his family, friends and the police. Just a thought...

Here's the latest article about Martin:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...cle_b7117f9e-b2bc-55d6-91cc-9eeefd039ed5.html

http://myfox8.com/2016/06/24/boone-police-release-update-on-missing-kernersville-teen/

No much new here. They are expanding the search to Ocean Isle and the coast. My first gut feeling on this case was he went for a hike alone and fell somewhere that few hikers access. Now I feel he could have just gone off with friends and is couch surfing and partying somewhere. Here's hoping if that is the case he wakes up and calls home to let them know he's ok.

I hope he disappeared on his own and is out there alive somewhere. I feel more hopeful with his case than some others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 month update was issued by the police on Saturday. This a good summary of the case:
http://wataugaonline.com/boone-police-give-update-on-missing-student-case-in-its-3rd-month/

Police are working with investigators from National Center for Missing and Exploited Children:
http://wlos.com/news/local/national-investigators-to-aid-in-disappearance-of-boone-teenager

IMO, these things indicate they suspect something bad happened and not that he just ran away. Very little info/coverage of this case in the media still.

Just a new thought about this whole thing...After suspecting that he ran away when all of this occurred and now with the new information that was released today that he wanted to "leave everything behind," I keep coming back to "Into the Wild." Most of you probably know the plot of this true story, but for those that don't, a kid named Chris McCandles who was around Martin's age literally left everything behind except a little money, his wallet and his car (all of which he eventually abandoned) and travelled cross country through various transpirational means. Like Martin, he also was experiencing some specific dilemmas in his life which prompted him to "find himself." Eventually he made it to the Alaskan wilderness where he ended up becoming injured, malnourished and eventually died. Since McCandles' death, hundreds (if not thousands) of 18-30 year olds read "Into the Wild" and become inspired to follow his exact same route until reaching the abandoned bus in Alaska that he died in. Ironically a handful died along the way in attempts to re-create this journey.

With all of that being said, what if he did the same thing. What if Martin was disenchanted with his life and read "Into the Wild" and became inspired to follow Chris McCandles' footsteps. I'm not one to ever do something like that, but after reading it, you do feel different. You really do feel as if you want to leave everything behind, go on an adventure and truly "live." It wouldn't be that crazy of a notion (especially in his emotional and mental state) that Martin would want to do that very same thing. I don't know if the police actually look at websleuths, but if they do, I highly suggest looking at the route McCandles' took when trying to get to Alaska. You may find Martin along the way.

If he just wanted an "Into the Wild"-like experience, Boone and the surrounding areas would be perfect for it. I hope he is safe and finding himself, having one heck of an adventure while doing it.
If that's the case, all I can say is Be safe young man, and when you're ready, call to let someone know you're ok.

A few updates from last week: Mom's plea for him to come home as she celebrates his 20th birthday without him: http://wjhl.com/2016/08/22/nc-mom-makes-plea-for-missing-son-on-his-20th-birthday/

“We love you and miss you more than words can say. You are constantly in my thoughts and forever in my heart. There’s a huge empty space in our life that can only be filled by you,” Abbie Martin wrote on Facebook. She also pleaded with him to reach out and make contact — even if he couldn’t return home.

“Son, please- if you’re not in a place where you can come home right now, please just get in touch to let us know you’re safe and okay,” she wrote on Facebook.

Martin’s parents also created a hashtag #LightACandle4Martin and asked people to post photos of lit candles using that hashtag in an effort to raise awareness.

Boone Police show solidarity with the family by lighting a candle for Martin: http://www.wataugademocrat.com/news...cle_de7655b8-8f36-5559-9846-0ee5cba79285.html

Boone Police joined an outpouring of others who chose to express their solidarity with the family of missing college student Martin Roberts Aug. 19 by lighting a candle in recognition of his 20th birthday.
Le Beau said that the continued support of the Roberts family was a constant motivator for investigators who have now dedicated months to the hunt for the missing student.

“It keeps us moving forward,” Le Beau said. “This case has just been so challenging. You know, normally, when we have had missing person, you don’t hear much about it, we solve it in a matter of hours or days, so, when you’ve spent as many months now as we have now, working exclusively with one case — it is terrible for us to keep hitting dead ends.”

I hate to think, much less type this, but my instinct is suicide. If his family's been vacationing at OIB for 55 years, they are likely wealthy and well respected in their community. Could the pressure of failing out of ASU and getting a DUI left him feeling ashamed and no longer accepted by his family? I hope not and it seems his mom is greatly concerned. ASU has had its share of suicides recently though. Hoping he's just hiding out for a while. JMO, MOO, etc

This case will probably end up like so many white, college age boys. Found dead in the water, cause of death, drowning. But like so many others, he will have been dead when placed into the water or other mysterious circumstances. The smiley face killer or Missing 411 a sobering coincidence

Plenty of deceased females found in bodies of water as well, are we to assume they were also placed there by one person?

I hate to think, much less type this, but my instinct is suicide. If his family's been vacationing at OIB for 55 years, they are likely wealthy and well respected in their community. Could the pressure of failing out of ASU and getting a DUI left him feeling ashamed and no longer accepted by his family? I hope not and it seems his mom is greatly concerned. ASU has had its share of suicides recently though. Hoping he's just hiding out for a while. JMO, MOO, etc

I don't think he is alive anymore but I'm on the fence about whether it is suicide. With where he lives it would have been easy for him to take a hike to "get away" for a while and get lost or injured in the mountains. I think he will be found not far from a rugged trail or at the bottom of a steep drop off in the mountains. When he is found it may be impossible to determine COD. No one thing that makes me think that--I just have a feeling about it. I really feel for his family though, not knowing where he went or what happened to him must be so hard. Praying they have closure soon.

First time posting after reading so many threads.
Here's hoping Martin has just taken time out and made a different life for himself, there was a case in the UK recently were a young man was missing for about seven years and was located alive but not through his own choice.

still missing: http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...ssing-america-65-people-still-missing-n691281

College student Martin Roberts was last seen on April 21, 2016, near the campus of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. In the six or so months since he vanished, there have been very few clues as to what may have happened to the 19-year-old. Martin vanished without his cell phone and did not have access to a vehicle, which makes his disappearance all the more troubling to his family. Thousands continue to follow the Facebook group 'Help Find Martin Roberts', where Martin's family posts updates, and others share words of encouragement.

martin_roberts_e5bb6c9447cc8c29270242f95023e749.nbcnews-ux-600-700.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back