NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to make sense of this. Is there any possibility the reason the police recanted their statement of the death was because they wanted "someone" to think she was still alive?

I thought of that, but, I just think someone jumped the gun when she was taken off life support. Maybe she lived a few more hours?

Knowing of that family, I'm sure they had prepared her statement of death before they pulled the plug.

I thought of that, but, I just think someone jumped the gun when she was taken off life support. Maybe she lived a few more hours?

Knowing of that family, I'm sure they had prepared her statement of death before they pulled the plug.

This article says RPD jumped the gun...and talks about sister spending the nite Fri. nite:

Raleigh police prematurely reported Taft's death Tuesday morning, but they retracted that report. Her family issued a statement shortly before 1 p.m. to confirm her death.
Taft was staying at the home while the owner was out of town, according to friends. JG, who is listed as the owner of the house, was in Florida Saturday night and was flying back. The pair had dated in the past and were still friends, according to relatives.

A close family friend said Taft had a minor surgical procedure and was recovering in the home Friday night with her sister. On Saturday morning, when they had planned to go to breakfast, the sister went into Taft's room and found that she had been attacked.

Police haven't determined if the assault was a random act of violence.

http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/story/7191395/

This article says RPD jumped the gun...and talks about sister spending the nite Fri. nite:

Raleigh police prematurely reported Taft's death Tuesday morning, but they retracted that report. Her family issued a statement shortly before 1 p.m. to confirm her death.
Taft was staying at the home while the owner was out of town, according to friends. JG, who is listed as the owner of the house, was in Florida Saturday night and was flying back. The pair had dated in the past and were still friends, according to relatives.

A close family friend said Taft had a minor surgical procedure and was recovering in the home Friday night with her sister. On Saturday morning, when they had planned to go to breakfast, the sister went into Taft's room and found that she had been attacked.

Police haven't determined if the assault was a random act of violence.

http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/story/7191395/

The statement quoted above states the sister "went into Taft's room" which sounds like the sister was already in the house. So, there is another mystery in how the sister was in the house but did not hear anything - no noise, etc! Was there evidence of forced entry? I don't recall seeing that anywhere. If not, then someone had a key, or was invited into the house. I hope LE knows more than they are saying. I don't necessarily think the sister had anything to do with the attack - but LE needs to question her thoroughly to see what she remembers - even things that she may not think were significant.

The statement quoted above states the sister "went into Taft's room" which sounds like the sister was already in the house. So, there is another mystery in how the sister was in the house but did not hear anything - no noise, etc! Was there evidence of forced entry? I don't recall seeing that anywhere. If not, then someone had a key, or was invited into the house. I hope LE knows more than they are saying. I don't necessarily think the sister had anything to do with the attack - but LE needs to question her thoroughly to see what she remembers - even things that she may not think were significant.

I totally agree.. The sister had to have heard something if she was there.. Unless like you said, LE knows more than what they are saying...

I find it interesting that she is "the sister." Not named.

Since we don't have more details, I was thinking of this scenario --

Maybe her sister lives in/near Raleigh & she left at bedtime...Kathy was attacked later...then her sister comes back Saturday morning to pick her up for breakfast & finds her in the bedroom.

I don't see how her sister could have slept thru such a brutal attack.

I've been poking around in Zillow & other real estate sites....the homes in this area are older & not so big from what I can tell...here's a link to a house in the 2700 block of Cartier with a fairly good view of the street.

http://www.realtor.com/property-detail/2715-Cartier-Dr_Raleigh_NC_27608_679e9f00

ETA: Got a pic of the house that a reporter tweeted - attached

Attachments

• HOME-CARTIER-DRIVE-sm.jpg
    HOME-CARTIER-DRIVE-sm.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 38
Perhaps JG hired someone to do it.

I find it interesting that she is "the sister." Not named.

I do, too. Does it normally happen that way? The media had no problems identifying Kathy's male friend/homeowner.

We really need to know if the sister spent the night there, too. Right now I'm doubting that although I don't have a specific reason for my doubt. Even if she did it is possible to sleep through an attack, I think. Especially if it was a very short one. I know my son slept through hurricane Fran...

If JG was out of town maybe a burglary was planned and she surprised the burglar when he came in.

So sad...

Just to clarify:

She was a member of the NC State Board of Education, not the Wake County Board of Education.

I keep thinking about what happened to Ann Pressly, the anchorwoman from Arkansas...they were thinking she may have been targeted for some reason.

Turns out it wasn't anyone she knew -- it was a rapist monster!!

It's strange you thought of that case, Kathy Taft was a Pressley before she became a Taft. I'm not sure of the surname spelling. It is a very sad case, also. Apparently this woman was much loved, and loved life. I hope some details come forth soon. The police are being very tightlipped here.

I am wondering why not much information is out there regarding her previous marriages. When she married Mr. Taft, she was a Pressly, and her maiden name is Arnold. She married Mr. Taft in 1982. It may be a random incident, but apparently the neighborhood is considered to be a safe one. Wish we had more information....I am wondering if someone entered the house perhaps when the women were out, and hid there. She did not have a chance to make a ruckus and alert her sister, apparently.

I had no idea that a few of my friends knew her.

Last night we got in a discussion about it.

They had two thoughts.

1. The ex boyfriend
2. The ex husband

Both seemed to think someone would have been hired though for either, that they wouldn't do it themselves.

They also claimed her surgery was "a little nip tuck," which, I have no way of knowing this, they would.

One woman said the house was split level, and she was on a different floor from her sister. No idea how she knew that either, it seemed that she'd spoken to someone.

Also, the common joking name of that law firm is Shaft, Shaft, and Finagler (I didn't come up with this, it is well known, so lets not sue me).

Laces, thanks so much for the info on the previous marriages.

Just to clarify:

She was a member of the NC State Board of Education, not the Wake County Board of Education.

Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I'm curious how much the State board has gotten involved with the Wake county mess?

Mystery builds around school official Taft's assault

Published Tue, Mar 09, 2010 02:00 AM
Modified Tue, Mar 09, 2010 05:52 PM

<snip>

Typically, police will quickly release a recording of the 911 call reporting the crime, a written report from officers who initially respond to the call, general information about the victim's medical condition and any information on suspects.

But there is an aura of mystery around the Taft investigation.

Even though Sughrue said "every part of the police department" - from the assault squad to K9 units - have been out on the scene, police are holding close to their vest any theories about what happened.

On Monday, Sughrue said that the department expects to release public documents about the case soon but that detectives needed time to review the information and conduct more interviews before giving the public access to early details.

Though the silence may be unusual, Sughrue insists the investigation is being handled the same as many others.

"Obviously many of thecases we investigate do not involve prominent people, and they are investigated as thoroughly," he said.

Almost from the moment 911 operators dispatched emergency workers to Geil's home, police have cordoned off the neighborhood. Until late Monday afternoon, the only people who were allowed to pass the police cruiser barricades were those who live on the quiet, winding street a short walk from Glenwood Village shopping center.

Residents on Cartier Street say Taft was a frequent visitor to Geil's home. According to neighbor Mary A. Jones, Taft drives a white, late model Lexus that police towed away over the weekend.

Jones' daughter, Laura Jones, said neither she nor her mother heard anything unusual Saturday, but they noted that Geil's two-story home does not have a door facing the street. They also pointed out that the back door leads into a wooded area and a path that's often used by residents to walk to the Harris Teeter grocery store at Glenwood Village.

more here

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/03/09/378232/mystery-builds-around-school-officials.html

It's strange you thought of that case, Kathy Taft was a Pressley before she became a Taft. I'm not sure of the surname spelling. It is a very sad case, also. Apparently this woman was much loved, and loved life. I hope some details come forth soon. The police are being very tightlipped here.

Welcome to WS, laces!

I guess I thought of Anne's case because of the similarities....professional, high-profile women, brutally beaten while in their beds in a home in an older, established, nice quiet neighborhood....sounds like Kathy had a 'low risk' lifestyle as did Anne.

You're right - how coincidental that Kathy & Anne (may) share the same surname.

I hope they find the monster who did this to Kathy...I've read so many articles about how much people cared about her & how she'll be missed...and her grandchildren -- sounds like she spent a lot of time with them....just horrible their g-ma died this way. :(

Police Investigate Burglary Near Taft Murder

"Detectives have been going over a home in the next block over from the home where Taft was found on Wayland Drive. It was apparently the site of an attempted break-in around the same time frame as the Taft assault.

The residents of the home returned from an out-of-state trip Tuesday to find muddy footprints in the open basement. A chair had been moved from the front porch to the side of the house where a screen was cut. There were also other tell-tale signs of an attempted crime."

More at:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7322817

DA Wants to seal 911call, search warrants

"Wake County District Attorney Colon Willoughby on Wednesday asked a judge to seal the recording of a 911 call made after the weekend assault on a member of the state Board of Education."

<snip>

"Willoughby said the premature release of information in the case could hinder the police investigation. He said he also would likely ask a judge to seal the contents of search warrants in the case."

More at:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/7205601/

It seems the break-in on the neighboring street could have been the same night as the Taft murder. Since the neighbors left town Thursday night, and Taft was killed either Friday night or early Saturday morning it's possible that we're looking at two break-ins, one resulting in murder. With all the police in the neighborhood it's unlikely the Wayland Drive break-in happened between late Saturday morning and Tuesday. So that leaves Thursday night through early Saturday morning for that crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname