GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

Listened to the former warden (now consultant)'s testimony. He said LWOP means 23 hours in the cell and 1 hour out. That's not true. Inmates, even inmates in "close" custody, can be assigned prison jobs that will have them working in some area of the prison, be it the kitchen, or janitorial, or some other capacity and that could be up to 7 hours a day, give or take. They get recreation time as well. There are also sanctioned meetings and programs within the prison like AA, church services, anger management classes, etc. Some prisons have dayroom areas where the prisoners can hang out and play cards, watch TV. So an inmate may be in their cell less than 10 hours a day.

It's not a good life, but it's not exactly like being locked in a dungeon 24 hours a day either.

Let's see what Saacks has to say tomorrow. I couldn't listen to any more testimony but I'm very interested in hearing what Saacks has to say tomorrow. I think he's going to go for the jugular and try for the death penalty. He won't likely get it but I do think he's going to go for it.

:websleuther:Good Morning, Sleuthers !! :websleuther:

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/k.../#/vid11099775

:bud::bud:We're a'headin' for the last round-up, Pard'ners.:bud::bud:

Closing arguments & probably the charge to the jury for the penalty for the Murder in the First Degree charge.

Maybe a verdict today?? What's it gonna be?

:jail: . :behindbar ........................ or ............................... :chillpill: . :chillpill:

:justice:

Morning all. I wonder what happened with Dina? Is she still hospitalized, is she ok?

Listened to the former warden (now consultant)'s testimony. He said LWOP means 23 hours in the cell and 1 hour out. That's not true. Inmates, even inmates in "close" custody, can be assigned prison jobs that will have them working in some area of the prison, be it the kitchen, or janitorial, or some other capacity and that could be up to 7 hours a day, give or take. They get recreation time as well. There are also sanctioned meetings and programs within the prison like AA, church services, anger management classes, etc. Some prisons have dayroom areas where the prisoners can hang out and play cards, watch TV. So an inmate may be in their cell less than 10 hours a day.

It's not a good life, but it's not exactly like being locked in a dungeon 24 hours a day either.

I noticed that too, Maddie -- What he said for some prisons is no doubt accurate -- some of the "supermax" prisons do have this type schedule. And this description of his may be accurate for a prisoner who might be in "disciplinary segregation," which usually lasts for 30 days.

His description is not typical for NC DOC prisoners in "good standing" even in a close-custody classification.

Below is a good snapshot of a typical day in a NC prison for prisoners of differing custody assignments. Its title is "24 Hours in Prison":

http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/hours24.htm

It's a good article.

Morning all. I wonder what happened with Dina? Is she still hospitalized, is she ok?

Me, too, Boodles. Every day I look for someone who may be Dina -- all I ever saw of her is the back of her head in 2010. Dark, short hair. That could be different now, and she could be there, but I haven't found a likely candidate. And I do wonder if she is still sick enuff to still be hospitalized, and I certainly hope not -- she doesn't deserve this in addition to all that is going on here...

She could be watching from home, still too upset to be in that courtroom. I can understand that, too. Let's hope she is okay, and I think we know that her heart is in the room with her nieces & nephews and the spirit of her big sister.

Me, too, Boodles. Every day I look for someone who may be Dina -- all I ever saw of her is the back of her head in 2010. Dark, short hair. That could be different now, and she could be there, but I haven't found a likely candidate. And I do wonder if she is still sick enuff to still be hospitalized, and I certainly hope not -- she doesn't deserve this in addition to all that is going on here...

She could be watching from home, still too upset to be in that courtroom. I can understand that, too. Let's hope she is okay, and I think we know that her heart is in the room with her nieces & nephews and the spirit of her big sister.

Mornin' All,
I feel the same about Dina. But I am so afraid she is living with a huge amount of guilt, misplaced, but still there. I feel very sorry for her and hope she can get past all of this once the trial is over. I hope, too, that the Taft children will embrace her and include her in their lives. I can understand her feelings of guilt as I know what it would do to me, but she must find a way to get past it if this is, indeed, the case.
Saaks--did I spell that right?--is doing great. I was a little underwhelmed with Ms. Jacobs.....I think she was nervous and spoke too quickly, not emphasizing the points that should have been punched up. I have a migraine so please overlook my typos, my incomplete sentences, and maybe even my stupid thinking this morning.

Saacks has impressed me as an excellent prosecutor.

Oh dear, it would appear JW is able to show *emotion*....when it comes to talk of *his* death. :(

Wow. Just wow.

That was powerful. I have shivers. I think I might have even changed my mind after listening to Saacks and agree with a sentence of DP for this crime in this case.

I could listen to Saacks opine for hours, he is so riveting. I wish he taught a class somewhere...I would enroll just to learn. He has a calling, no doubt about it.

And there's the killer with Driver's hand on his back to comfort him. WHO was comforting Kathy Taft as she was beaten, raped, and executed by Williford? Yes, JW has sorrow...for himself. He never showed 1 moment of grief or sorrow or guilt for his victim throughout the trial. He sat there stone cold, zoning out.

Mornin' All,
I feel the same about Dina. But I am so afraid she is living with a huge amount of guilt, misplaced, but still there. I feel very sorry for her and hope she can get past all of this once the trial is over. I hope, too, that the Taft children will embrace her and include her in their lives. I can understand her feelings of guilt as I know what it would do to me, but she must find a way to get past it if this is, indeed, the case.
Saaks--did I spell that right?--is doing great. I was a little underwhelmed with Ms. Jacobs.....I think she was nervous and spoke too quickly, not emphasizing the points that should have been punched up. I have a migraine so please overlook my typos, my incomplete sentences, and maybe even my stupid thinking this morning.

(( hugs )), sorry dear, those damn migraines, wish you didn't have so many. :please:

My guess would be no more then a couple hours for a verdict on this one. JMO

Wow. Just wow.

That was powerful. I have shivers. I think I might have even changed my mind after listening to Saacks and agree with a sentence of DP for this crime in this case.

I could listen to Saacks opine for hours, he is so riveting. I wish he taught a class somewhere...I would enroll just to learn. He has a calling, no doubt about it.

And there's the killer with Driver's hand on his back to comfort him. WHO was comforting Kathy Taft as she was beaten, raped, and executed by Williford? Yes, JW has sorrow...for himself. He never showed 1 moment of grief or sorrow or guilt for his victim throughout the trial. He sat there stone cold, zoning out.

Great post Madeleine :thumbsup:

I am still with LWOP, more from my conviction against the DP. Saacks is an amazing pro. Hats off.

Mornin' All,

Feel better really, really soon, Panda-lover. Healing thoughts float your way.

Okay, I've already stated I was down for LWOP, but please. I didn't care for her 'putting poison in his body' analogy. Would she prefer he be raped and have his head beaten in with a big rock to carry out the sentence? My Emmett, the stray cat we took in, went to pet heaven by a 'lethal injection' when his kidneys stopped functioning. :(

Okay, I've already stated I was down for LWOP, but please. I didn't care for her 'putting poison in his body' analogy. Would she prefer he be raped and have his head beaten in with a big rock to carry out the sentence? My Emmett, the stray cat we took in, went to pet heaven by a 'lethal injection' when his kidneys stopped functioning. :(

gracielee, you are the best :rocker:

I will follow the Sandusky trial. You bet. I plan on stalking you around WS mwahahahaa :woohoo:

Anybody here going to follow the Sandusky trial?

I may because we've been a sports family for the past 50 years. My sports son will be asking me a thousand questions about the trial that I will need to be able to give him answers to.

Prison is like 'being a figurine on a shelf'... for life.' I guess so, much like my Emmett's ashes are on our 'Pet Memorial' cabinet, along with the ashes of previous beloved family members. I wonder where Kathy's ashes are?

The simple reality is even if the jury gives JW the DP, he's not going to be executed for decades, if ever. It would mostly be in name only. He will more likely die from natural causes than state execution. Either way, his death, whenever it is, will be much more gentle and kind than his victim's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back