GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

If LWOP was offered and refused, I have no issue, as this guy absolutely needs to be locked away forever and day at minimum. But I suspect LWOP wasn't offered (just my speculation, as I think since they're admitting his involvement, they would have taken that sentence).

I guess this is all quite political.

Yes, Boodles, I think you're right -- and I also agree that JW needs to be away from the public for the rest of his life.

The DT says it's not premeditated, but premeditation doesn't require three days, for instance, of planning. Minutes will do it.
icon8.gif

:justice:

JMO, but I'd guess they are going for less then LWOP, hence the need for a trial. JW has that narcicisstic type personality again, IMO. And they've taken on this whole 'everybody else is at fault but our poor, mentally ill, client.' I think they are going for much less than LWOP. I'm reminded of that other distant N.C. case. Perhaps borndem can help me here, the guy who shot & killed a number of people and ended up in Dorthea Dix, was his name Michael something or other?

Right now, I can't think of that particular case -- it rings a little tiny and far-away bell, but my CRS is acting up, and I can't conjure up the name.... will keep trying...

And yes, they don't want this to be 1st degree, but they seem to be forgetting about 1st degree rape... and Diminished Capacity, IMO, is not appropriate here. What he did to her in that room was to commit a crime of rape -- she wasn't dancing naked in front of him (I'm being serious here) -- he had to uncover her, take her pj bottoms & panties off and pull up her pj top as high as it would go, and then be sober enuff to leave his DNA in her & on the sheets. Then (IMO) he had to get rid of the witness to what he did. Planning and presence of mind, IMO. Period.
icon8.gif

This crime is one's worst nightmare: waking up in the night to a killer. It's so horrifying. It's really difficult to scare me, but last night I slept with a bat and the bedroom door locked.

Lesson from this case: always bring in your mail every day. Never let mail sit in your mailbox in case someone's casing your house.

You said it -- just simple things can make a big difference in one's personal safety, like looking around your car at night before you approach it & before you unlock it remotely.

And Boodles, if you don't have that 250-lb Navy Seal with with the sig sauer* on his hip in your bedroom, there's nothing at all wrong with a baseball bat...

* Please know that I am not a gun fan... it's just that the good folks on NCIS use them...
icon10.gif

LOL, yes, I do sleep well at night. Both of my dogs are rescues, and therefore extremely bonded with my family. I feel certain, especially my rottie, would fight hard if someone were to threaten us.

I think she divorced him but I'm not positive of that. I think borndem would or Prancy would know for sure.

No idea about this, folks -- I think she has been subpoenaed, so this question will probably come up. And I don't think her testimony will help him one bit... as long as the DT doesn't try to make it sound like he was mentally ill instead of just plain mean, selfish & cruel.
icon8.gif

And another thang:

If the checking the mailbox story is true, it sure seems to me that doing that takes him farrrrr away from diminished capacity. This man was thinking and planning...
icon6.gif

Right now, I can't think of that particular case -- it rings a little tiny and far-away bell, but my CRS is acting up, and I can't conjure up the name.... will keep trying...

And yes, they don't want this to be 1st degree, but they seem to be forgetting about 1st degree rape... and Diminished Capacity, IMO, is not appropriate here. What he did to her in that room was to commit a crime of rape -- she wasn't dancing naked in front of him (I'm being serious here) -- he had to uncover her, take her pj bottoms & panties off and pull up her pj top as high as it would go, and then be sober enuff to leave his DNA in her & on the sheets. Then (IMO) he had to get rid of the witness to what he did. Planning and presence of mind, IMO. Period.
icon8.gif

Man, I need to get dressed and go out and buy myself a lottery ticket tonight!! I just attempted to google up this case and got it on my FIRST try! That NEVER happens to me. :woohoo: Michael Hayes:

Old Salisbury Road murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IIRC, he was collecting SS in Dix and managed to buy himself lots of 'goodies', where upon the families of the victims managed to get his goodies, IIRC, from a wrongful death lawsuit. This one has been going around and around for years, because Hayes keeps trying to get out on furlows and such.

Good Morning, Sleuthers!

http://www.wral.com/

Justice for Kathy, her family & friends and the People of the State of North Carolina!

We're probably waiting on a juror, or waiting for the defendant to be brought in...

Good morning! I was dawdling and forgot what time they started. Did I miss much?

Another lesson people need to learn...you may *think* you are anomyous when stirring up trouble hither and yon, but if you mess with, let's say, the criminal justice system, you *will* be found...

That's affirmative, NCB!!! You'd be better off writing it on paper & putting it on an actual bulletin board somewhere -- tho it wouldn't reach many people. You are NOT anonymous online.

I wish that person could have been charged with some crime, however insignificant it may be. It is a growing problem for jurisprudence, and there seems to be so little to prevent or deter it. We're in a new age here, sports fans.

Good morning! I was dawdling and forgot what time they started. Did I miss much?

Nah - They just resumed with Smithey from yesterday & showed pics & video of JW's apt. We couldn't see diddley, and nothing of note, IMO, came up.

No fireworks so far, IMO.

Glad you're back!

Is anybody else having computer issues today? I just now managed to pull up wral & websleuths.

I missed some of the opening statements. Can someone tell me what the defense attorny gave as the route def took into the house. I thought I read somewhere that he went into an unlocked window. Now I'm hearing something different.

This crime is one's worst nightmare: waking up in the night to a killer. It's so horrifying. It's really difficult to scare me, but last night I slept with a bat and the bedroom door locked.

Lesson from this case: always bring in your mail every day. Never let mail sit in your mailbox in case someone's casing your house.

I'm so sorry you were frightened like this, Boodles. It is a terrible feeling. I hope you were able to sleep okay once you were finally settled.

An OT story:
My hubby travels a lot and I go through similar "freaked out" phases. I actually had one when he was traveling last week. I was retrieving the trash/recycle cans and taking the dog out. I always move my neighbor's cans up to her garage, which meant my open garage left my sightline for a couple minutes. Per the normal set up, the garage provides access into the house. When I returned to my garage, I had an uneasy feeling. I became frightened, but told myself I was being silly and went inside with the dog. I grabbed some mace and did the crazy closet and bed check. It was still daylight, so I felt some degree of calm. However, I knew if I didn't check then, I would work myself into a frenzy by the time darkness fell.

Now, this could easily be dismissed as paranoia on my part, or just an irrational fear from being alone. However this exact scenario happened to my neighbor a couple years ago. It was 11:09 PM and hubby and I were watching TV. We heard a blood curddling scream--a sound I can assure you I will never forget--coming from the home in back of ours. Hubby (who never puts on jammies til one nanosecond before his head hits the pillow "just in case") jumped up and was out the back door in half a second. Our neighbor, a single woman in her 40s, was rattled but unharmed. Another neighbor called 911, and the neighborhood was soon awash with red and blue flashing lights.

As it turned out, the perp had entered her home while she had been walking her dog many hours earlier. She left the garage door up and unattended for a few minutes. He slipped in, went up to her bedroom, crouched between the bed and the far wall, and waited for her to retire for the evening. She ate dinner, watched TV, and was none the wiser that she was not alone for many hours. Worse yet? The dog never alerted that someone was in the home. Far worse? It was one of our neighbors and he lives a few houses away...

That's affirmative, NCB!!! You'd be better off writing it on paper & putting it on an actual bulletin board somewhere -- tho it wouldn't reach many people. You are NOT anonymous online.

I wish that person could have been charged with some crime, however insignificant it may be. It is a growing problem for jurisprudence, and there seems to be so little to prevent or deter it. We're in a new age here, sports fans.

So very true!! It doesn't seem right--I wonder how much they spent on this investigation? I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

Thanks for the AM update!!

I'm so sorry you were frightened like this, Boodles. It is a terrible feeling. I hope you were able to sleep okay once you were finally settled.

An OT story:
My hubby travels a lot and I go through similar "freaked out" phases. I actually had one when he was traveling last week. I was retrieving the trash/recycle cans and taking the dog out. I always move my neighbor's cans up to her garage, which meant my open garage left my sightline for a couple minutes. Per the normal set up, the garage provides access into the house. When I returned to my garage, I had an uneasy feeling. I became frightened, but told myself I was being silly and went inside with the dog. I grabbed some mace and did the crazy closet and bed check. It was still daylight, so I felt some degree of calm. However, I knew if I didn't check then, I would work myself into a frenzy by the time darkness fell.

Now, this could easily be dismissed as paranoia on my part, or just an irrational fear from being alone. However this exact scenario happened to my neighbor a couple years ago. It was 11:09 PM and hubby and I were watching TV. We heard a blood curddling scream--a sound I can assure you I will never forget--coming from the home in back of ours. Hubby (who never puts on jammies til one nanosecond before his head hits the pillow "just in case") jumped up and was out the back door in half a second. Our neighbor, a single woman in her 40s, was rattled but unharmed. Another neighbor called 911, and the neighborhood was soon awash with red and blue flashing lights.

As it turned out, the perp had entered her home while she had been walking her dog many hours earlier. She left the garage door up and unattended for a few minutes. He slipped in, went up to her bedroom, crouched between the bed and the far wall, and waited for her to retire for the evening. She ate dinner, watched TV, and was none the wiser that she was not alone for many hours. Worse yet? The dog never alerted that someone was in the home. Far worse? It was one of our neighbors and he lives a few houses away...

OMG, I could hardly breathe while reading your senario. :( Now I think I'm going to be scared too.

Is WS's extremely slow for others today? I seem to be having computer issues or something?

Cross of Smithey by Savage -- she asked Smithey about her conversations with DH & asking if she appeared drunk - objection sustained.

IMO, they don't need to bang on DH too much more -- she may or may not have been the world's greatest caregiver to KT -- we don't know that one way or the other, IMO -- but this could really backfire. Just think about what that woman had to deal with on Saturday morning. It was her sister.

Further, we found yesterday from the plastic surgeon -- what a nice, nice man; he stayed with poor DH at the hospital for hours -- anyway, he said the face/neck surgery was a "tune up" (totally my words there since I don't know what he called it) for face & neck lifts he had done previously on Kathy; and the breast implants were replacements for previous ones that were leaking. He stated that these procedures should not have been as painful as a "virgin" lift (his word) -- so KT may have been a little less incapacitated that we had initially thought. She was able to eat ice cream & she was able to turn out the light in the bedroom and tell DH that she was going to sleep, according to DH (from statements that were mentioned). Who knoze if this had any bearing on the event (!) with the murderer/rapist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back