NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

With the religious element in this case, I'm thinking he might have been under pressure to conform and live a certain way - get married to a nice girl, have the home, stay deeply involved in the church, and a year into the marriage, the charade became too much and he snapped. It could have been planned if he thought out a cause/effect thing so quickly. I'm not getting the impression that DV was a regular element of their marriage because looking at her FB page, she was very happily engaged in a lot of different activities with different friends, so it doesn't come across that he was inhibiting or intimidating her at all. My gut feeling is that the motive comes from within him, and she was in the way, representing whatever blocked him from living his true life.
If you are saying what I think you are saying, that possibility crossed my mind too. Just a hunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Did anyone else notice on his FB page that he appeared to be in a wedding(he appears to be the groom??) back in 2012? It's the last of his cover photos. Makes me curious about a possible previous marriage!

This whole thing is so sad. I have heard DXM can cause hallucinations and dissociation so it's certainly possible it contributed to the murder. One possible scenario could be that he had taken the coriciden, they got into some sort of argument, and then he killed her. Maybe it felt like it was a dream while he was doing it if he had really taken quite a bit of it.

My straight laced uncle blacked out one day driving after taking cough medicine that had DXM. Someone called 911 to report him driving erratically and when he got pulled he had no idea why he was even driving downtown and no recollection of it. They did all kinds of tests and scans and ultimately determined it was likely just the medicine. This makes me think Matt's story is at least plausible.

Did anyone else notice on his FB page that he appeared to be in a wedding(he appears to be the groom??) back in 2012? It's the last of his cover photos. Makes me curious about a possible previous marriage!

This whole thing is so sad. I have heard DXM can cause hallucinations and dissociation so it's certainly possible it contributed to the murder. One possible scenario could be that he had taken the coriciden, they got into some sort of argument, and then he killed her. Maybe it felt like it was a dream while he was doing it if he had really taken quite a bit of it.

My straight laced uncle blacked out one day driving after taking cough medicine that had DXM. Someone called 911 to report him driving erratically and when he got pulled he had no idea why he was even driving downtown and no recollection of it. They did all kinds of tests and scans and ultimately determined it was likely just the medicine. This makes me think Matt's story is at least plausible.

Getting in your car and driving is a normal, everyday activity that was part of your uncle's life. Stabbing someone to death is not part of anyone's normal day to day activities, especially a good Christian soul.

For now I sorta believe him? If I woke up to find my loved one dead- stabbed multiple times with a knife that is near me while I'm covered in blood I wouldn't doubt for a second that I may have done something- not to mention the 911 call sounds like someone going on auto-pilot and slowly realizing what has happened. If he is going from a state of shock to panic it would be easy to overlook slight signs of life not to mention the possible tremors or shaking that would make it difficult to feel for a pulse if he even attempted to.

Why call 911 if it was on purpose? If it was a fight and he stabbed her why not call 911 immediately? If it was planned why choose the hardest series of events to try to explain to a jury- or better yet why even admit guilt at all?

For now I sorta believe him? If I woke up to find my loved one dead- stabbed multiple times with a knife that is near me while I'm covered in blood I wouldn't doubt for a second that I may have done something- not to mention the 911 call sounds like someone going on auto-pilot and slowly realizing what has happened. If he is going from a state of shock to panic it would be easy to overlook slight signs of life not to mention the possible tremors or shaking that would make it difficult to feel for a pulse if he even attempted to.

Why call 911 if it was on purpose? If it was a fight and he stabbed her why not call 911 immediately? If it was planned why choose the hardest series of events to try to explain to a jury- or better yet why even admit guilt at all?

Because he thought that she was dead and he had his plan worked out.

I can tell you, that as a mother who found her child dead, no amount of shaking would prevent you looking for signs of life. This man did not want to even touch her, let alone do anything to save her. That shows his guilt to me. He hated her more when he thought that she was dead, than whatever reason he had for killing her. In his mind, she made him do it, by just existing.

I can tell you, that as a mother who found her child dead, no amount of shaking would prevent you looking for signs of life. This man did not want to even touch her, let alone do anything to save her. That shows his guilt to me. He hated her more when he thought that she was dead, than whatever reason he had for killing her. In his mind, she made him do it, by just existing.

I'm so sorry about your personal experience. :( I agree with you and I can't imagine not trying to help my loved one. The 911 call was chilling in that regard. The operator tried every possible way to get him to check to see if Lauren was breathing. He wouldn't do it. I have to wonder if his tears near the end of the call were because he realized his story wasn't going to hold up as well as he thought it would.

The fact that he refused to check whether she was at least breathing was a clincher for me as well. That's completely unnatural that you would go to bed with someone you love, wake up to find them on the floor lying in blood and just say "Ugh, I'm not touching that." It's like when someone is missing and the chief suspect doesn't bother looking... because they already know the outcome. He wasn't interested in her recovering and telling her side of the story (which may or may not have incorporated cough syrup). He waited until he was sure she was dead, and by then his nerves had failed him and he couldn't face even going close to her.

So sad to hear of your terrible loss Jennifer.
I just can't imagine.....it's a mother's worst nightmare.
Hugs..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just wondering where the knife came from. Does he usually sleep with a knife? Did he go to the kitchen to get one, then came back and killed her?

I second this comment Nicolesque. You deserve to pat yourself on the back and be very kind to yourself right now. You've bravely contributed valuable information to this thread and you're very wise to have a friend stay the night with you. Hang in there. We're rooting for you! :heartbeat:

Nicolesque, I so agree with what others have said. your experiences and knowledge have been an invaluable addition to this thread. I admire you for sharing and for your insight. Glad you were wise in having a friend stay over -- be well and keep faith in yourself. You have a lot to give. :hug:

Why can't we delete posts?

You can edit or delete anytime within the first hour after posting something, or at least I can, but after that, you would need to alert a mod and ask them to do it. I assume that is true for everyone.

You can edit or delete anytime within the first hour after posting something, or at least I can, but after that, you would need to alert a mod and ask them to do it. I assume that is true for everyone.

Thanks it was in the first hour and I could edit but not delete. Maybe it's Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A variant on the "dream defense." These are quite difficult to prove and there's much for a defense team to overcome. I don't have any stats but I don't think these types of defenses are often successful. Did he just so happen to have a knife right nearby or did he scoot off to wherever the knife was? This might come down to a couple of dueling expert witnesses (doctors or psychiatrists), if it does go to trial.

:grouphug: [[Jennifer]] :cry:

What a wack story, people will make up anything to get away with murder. I can't take nyquil because it does cause me to sleepwalk, but to sleepwalk and then grab a knife and stab someone to death? I don't believe it at all

Not checking her for signs of life speaks volumes to me.

I had a look at his Instagram account - it was mostly cartoony type posts related to Star Wars and Back to the Future. If I interpreted correctly, they "met" about three years ago,when she caught his attention online by "liking" a string of IG posts. Cute but a bit of a juvenile connection between two people who ended up married. What if one of them goes off all the Back to the Future jokes? Of course, that's not what happened, but it did seem an odd foundation for a marriage.

I had a look at his Instagram account - it was mostly cartoony type posts related to Star Wars and Back to the Future. If I interpreted correctly, they "met" about three years ago,when she caught his attention online by "liking" a string of IG posts. Cute but a bit of a juvenile connection between two people who ended up married. What if one of them goes off all the Back to the Future jokes? Of course, that's not what happened, but it did seem an odd foundation for a marriage.

Unfortunately these childish marriage foundations are super common for young adults these days. Being someone that's only in their early 20's, I have a lot of high school friends that are already engaged/married and their weddings and themes are video game/fandom related. I have one friend that's barely 20 but she and her husband met playing WOW, and they had a dragon themed wedding.... not saying being passionate about games and movies is wrong, but I definitely think it shows their age and IMO, they're too young to be married. Again, I'm not trying to pass judgement on young couples but I've seen more fall apart than last unfortunately :(

Edit: Sorry, I just read that they were both 29, so really not very young I suppose. Just my opinion

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back