NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

I kept checking for something and am very surprised at this latest turn. Just seeing this and he sure looks "wild and awful" in the pictures of him.

Thanks for the links, etc. need to catch up now.

Thoughts of Lauren :(

https://people.com/crime/cold-medicine-killer-pastor-pleads-guilty-murdering-wife

The documents further reveal that investigators found evidence suggesting Phelps had allegedly cleaned himself up before placing the 911 call, although he did have some blood on him when investigators reached the couple’s home.

The Charlotte News & Observer reports that “more than 50” supporters of Lauren were in court Friday morning to watch the sentencing. They wore buttons that featured Lauren’s picture and T-shirts that said #LaurensLight. WRAL estimated the crowd numbered more than 100 supporters.

- - -
'I feel like a monster': Raleigh man who once blamed cold medicine for making him stab his wife to death pleads guilty :: WRAL.com
(My summary)
His statement in court:
"I feel like a monster, part of the wretched, part of the darkness we don't speak of," "This was a senseless, mindless act, and I regret every step that led me in that direction."

He appearedwith long, stringy hair and a shaggy beard

Defense brought up:
--he suffered from depression for years, growing up in a household where he was shown slasher movies at age 4
-- taught by high school friends how to abuse drugs, including drinking cold medicine.
--But that history doesn't excuse his actions.
- - -

Quite a lot of info and pictures here. Statements from her family today; background of Phelps, 911 call, and more.

‘I feel like a monster.’ Husband pleads guilty in ‘cough medicine’ killing.
-- ...blood test showed the presence of cough medicine chemicals in Matthew Phelps’ body, but not a toxic amount that would cause dizziness or hallucinations.

-- her mother:
“The thoughts of all her little body endured at Matthew’s hands are what my nightmares are made of,” “Heaven doesn’t have phones, computers or social media. Lauren will live on in my memory

-- she had hoped to start a Hallmark store ('an outgrowth of her work selling Scentsy candles and fragrances"
He did not work or help with finances. spent a lot of money on iTunes and Xbox.
She had planned to end the marriage,

Prosecutors said Phelps had been married previously and behaved violently toward his first wife, dragging her down a hallway by her hair — an act that led to their divorce.
(Phelps' account differs: said she left him for another man; he did not want another failed relationship with Lauren)

I don't understand these dates? Who are these Phelps people? and all the dates in October? I'm missing something here! :(

Glad to hear he took a peal deal! Case over....

The other "Phelps" people are those who are on the Wake County docket. It lists anyone with the name, "Phelps."

I always enter the last name only, "Phelps" in the search instead of "Phelps,M" (you can only enter the first letter of the first name) -- I was so afraid I would enter something like "Phelps,L" or something, and not get "Phelps,M" due to a typo by me -- if I had made a mistake on the 1st name initial, I would not have gotten any info on our killer. Therefore, I just always enter just the last name only -- if it had been "Smith" or "Jones," etc., I would have used the initial also.

Also, when I do get other person's names, I know I have entered the correct name. Just my little way of making sure I don't miss anything.

A touch of OCD perhaps?? :confused:

Well, here's the first little bit of our boy -- the NC Dept. of Public Safety has entered the first little bit of info on their new inmate. Looks like he was sent to Craven County Correctional. He will be evaluated mentally/medically, etc., to see where he would best be located. This usually takes 3-4 weeks. Just the bare minimum info has been entered so far. Neither the crime nor the sentence have been entered yet.
I'll send another shot of him when it gets there.

We do have a "darling" little mugshot, however.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
spacertbl.gif

spacertbl.gif

MATTHEW J PHELPS
Offender Number:
Inmate Status: ACTIVE
Race: WHITE
Ethnic Group: EUROPEAN/N.AM./AUSTR
Birth Date: 03/11/1989
Current Location: CRAVEN CI
---------------------------------------------------------------------
NC DPS Offender Public Information

Well, just to round this out, our boy is now officially a part of the NC Dept of Public safety. To wit:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

MATTHEW J PHELPS
Offender Number:
Inmate Status: ACTIVE
Race: WHITE
Ethnic Group: EUROPEAN/N.AM./AUSTR
Birth Date: 03/11/1989
Current Location: CRAVEN CI
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Incarceration Status: ACTIVE
Total Incarceration Term:
LIFE
Conviction Date: 10/05/2018 Projected Release Date: LIFE
Primary Crime: MURDER FIRST DEGREE (PRINCIPAL) Primary Crime Type: FELON
Special Characteristics: LIFE Current Status: FELON
Admission Date: 10/05/2018
Admitting Location:
CRAVEN CI
Control Status: REGULAR POPULATION
Next Control Review:
UNKNOWN