NC - Lauren Hugelmaier, 29, stabbed to death, Raleigh, 1 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

That autopsy report is heartbreaking to read. That bright healthy girl with "unremarkable" heart and reproductive organs, looking forward to starting a family with that monster. Only to die fighting for her life in her own bedroom.
I agree that the injuries and diagram make it look very systematic and planned. Two (or more?) stab wounds that would undoubtedly caused death (the jugular and the lungs) some of the shallower wounds were probably when she was using her arms to fight back and protect herself, and then the others were probably part of the staging or just for the pleasure of it.
His high profile lawyer will probably be happy enough to keep the death penalty off the table.

BBM...Joe Cheshire will be happy with nothing less than an acquittal. And as much as I do not want to admit it, if ANYONE can make a jury believe such a preposterous defense, it is Joe Cheshire. Without knowing anything about the evidence that will be presented, I will say that with him as MP's lead attorney, the state will certainly have to be on the top of their game to get a conviction. JMO

After reading the autopsy and seeing the diagrams at the end, I'm surprised that a lot of the wounds seemed to be concentrated on the neck/shoulders/upper chest area. I'm not sure what to make of it. It just feels odd to me. I expected to see a lot in the abdomen, heart, lungs. If he intentionally killed her, it is strange he would spend the time and effort inflicting small wounds in non-lethal areas.

thought this too, you'd expect the maority to be in the arms as she defends herself but then in the largest areas - I think the concentration around her neck and upper back are even more indicative that he knew what he was doing and that he was also choosing the softest parts. Then finishing it off by slitting her throat - that is a little to sacrificial to me. A lot of hate and evil in this one.

I'm also on cough syrup right now and can't say I feel like stabbing anyone much less getting off the couch.

On the pubis is a 1 1/4 x 3/8" area of dried, white, crusted material. This area is swabbed with sterile saline and retained as evidence. It is labeled as "Material from pubis".

If this line from the autopsy is what it think it is it could be a game changer. If the lab results come back ejaculate in my opinion that could completely unravel the coricidin defense. I had a dream but still got my jollies. No way. If lab results come back saliva same thing. Both are the final insult.

[FONT=open_sansbold]Sexual dysfunction.[/FONT][FONT=open_sansregular] Men who abuse DXM have trouble ejaculating, and ejaculation is often combined with a sudden muscle rigidity that’s painful.[/FONT]
https://www.12keysrehab.com/help-center/dextromethorphan-addiction.html

IMHO I don’t think it was donut glaze. Do you?

This was done with a lot of rage; the attack leads me to believe that he wanted to make sure she would die, but it also seems like there was an element of torture to the stabbing. This was incredibly brutal, and I can only hope death came fast for her... :(

If this line from the autopsy is what it think it is it could be a game changer. If the lab results come back ejaculate in my opinion that could completely unravel the coricidin defense. I had a dream but still got my jollies. No way. If lab results come back saliva same thing. Both are the final insult.

I started typing a post about this yesterday, but got distracted by my 8mo. I found this part VERY interesting. I will be interested to see what it was and how it's handled in court if it is ejaculate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said he had to turn on the light to see her, so he apparently stabbed her in the dark. I wonder if there are bloody handprints on the lamp. If not, he’s lying about it being dark...

Not really sure how this unravels his defense. He did not have to be addicted to it and take it daily for him to have taken a massive dose one time and claim it made him unaware what he was doing. As to the white, crusted material, I think it is obvious to everyone that it is ejaculate, but again, he could very well have had sex with her, then she fell asleep, rather than getting up and cleaning herself, and he could have taken the Coricidin after the fact. Not saying that is what happened, and I don't believe the defense anyway, but just not sure how finding ejaculate on her crashes his alibi. JMO

BBM...Joe Cheshire will be happy with nothing less than an acquittal. And as much as I do not want to admit it, if ANYONE can make a jury believe such a preposterous defense, it is Joe Cheshire. Without knowing anything about the evidence that will be presented, I will say that with him as MP's lead attorney, the state will certainly have to be on the top of their game to get a conviction. JMO

bbm
Yep, and the prosecutors (I don't know who will be up there -- ADA Doug Faucette was at the prelim, but that may not mean he will be prosecuting this case) certainly know all about Cheshire. He doesn't win 'em all, but he is a determined and smart attorney. It may well boil down to mental evaluations and professional testimony on the cough syrup. I'm hoping the DA's know some tuff stuff we don't know. This man needs to be in prison for life.

Not really sure how this unravels his defense. He did not have to be addicted to it and take it daily for him to have taken a massive dose one time and claim it made him unaware what he was doing. As to the white, crusted material, I think it is obvious to everyone that it is ejaculate, but again, he could very well have had sex with her, then she fell asleep, rather than getting up and cleaning herself, and he could have taken the Coricidin after the fact. Not saying that is what happened, and I don't believe the defense anyway, but just not sure how finding ejaculate on her crashes his alibi. JMO

the line that was missing from my post explains how.
[FONT=open_sansbold]Sexual dysfunction.[/FONT][FONT=open_sansregular] Men who abuse DXM have trouble ejaculating, and ejaculation is often combined with a sudden muscle rigidity that’s painful.[/FONT]
A massive dose would still prevent him from ejaculating for several hours. F he was still high enough to be hallucinating he couldn’t make a deposit. No female is going to go to sleep with a love drop on her “shaven to 1/8” pubis” especially someone as appearance conscious as her.
And it wasn’t found on the labia it was found on the pubis.

the line that was missing from my post explains how.

A massive dose would still prevent him from ejaculating for several hours. F he was still high enough to be hallucinating he couldn’t make a deposit. No female is going to go to sleep with a love drop on her “shaven to 1/8” pubis” especially someone as appearance conscious as her.
And it wasn’t found on the labia it was found on the pubis.

A massive dose wouldn't prevent him from ejaculating if he took it AFTER ejaculating. And while I don't think Lauren would have left home without a shower or cleaning herself up, I do not think it would be unheard of for a married woman to fall asleep with a few remnants of her husband's ejaculate on her body. JMO

A massive dose wouldn't prevent him from ejaculating if he took it AFTER ejaculating. And while I don't think Lauren would have left home without a shower or cleaning herself up, I do not think it would be unheard of for a married woman to fall asleep with a drop of two of her husband's ejaculate on her body. JMO

When I read it I thought, how sad it seems like they made love, went to sleep and then he killed her. Imagine her fear and confusion [emoji22]

When I read it I thought, how sad it seems like they made love, went to sleep and then he killed her. Imagine her fear and confusion [emoji22]

Honestly, my thoughts were that the marriage was in trouble and there had been stressful times and arguments. Perhaps they had even been arguing earlier that evening, I think it is possible that he wanted sex, but she was not in the mood. Perhaps she felt it was easier to just let him have his way, rather than have an argument at bedtime, or maybe due to her religious beliefs, she felt it her wifely duty, but after the act was done, perhaps with no tenderness and only him being gratified, she decided she just couldn't continue with him, as things were, and told he she wanted out, or wanted him to agree to go to marriage counseling with her, or wanted him to get a real job, or something else that she saw as being a stumbling block to their happiness. Perhaps at that point, he flew into a rage, and we know the rest. This is all speculation and my opinion only. Just trying to put a picture together that might explain the horror of 123 wounds. JMO

Yeah, that caught my eye, too, G'mom -- same immediate thought -- WTH kinda guy would react that way? <shiver> Good point.

If it's what we assume -- and we'll find out later, rather than sooner, IMO -- that should be a clincher for the 12 persons who will matter most in this thing. It certainly was a turn-on for good&dead ol' Ted Bundy. If I were a juror, I would see the Coricidin circling the drain, i.e., 1st Degree Murder. Period.

He said he had to turn on the light to see her, so he apparently stabbed her in the dark. I wonder if there are bloody handprints on the lamp. If not, he&#8217;s lying about it being dark...

Doing that madness in the dark is a stretch for me.

Good point, Suz

Doing that madness in the dark is a stretch for me.

Good point, Suz

That...and unless he sleeps with a knife, he had to go to the kitchen to get it and return to stab her...in the dark.

Just a reminder for today:

*Pretrial Hearing AM Session ET - NC - Lauren Ashley-Nicole Hugelmaier (Phelps) (29) (Sept. 1, 2017) - Matthew James Phelps (28) (husband)/Arrest hearing on 9/5 - charged with 1st degree murder, no bond/GJ indicted for premeditated murder; told 911 he took too much cold medicine, then woke to find his wife dead & a bloody knife in bed.

:judge:

Just a reminder for today:

*Pretrial Hearing AM Session ET - NC - Lauren Ashley-Nicole Hugelmaier (Phelps) (29) (Sept. 1, 2017) - Matthew James Phelps (28) (husband)/Arrest hearing on 9/5 - charged with 1st degree murder, no bond/GJ indicted for premeditated murder; told 911 he took too much cold medicine, then woke to find his wife dead & a bloody knife in bed.

:judge:
I looked to see if I could find anything on MP's scheduled pretrial hearing today & found nothing. Could it have been waived? Tia

Yes, it could have been waived.....

I haven't seen anything "new" though. If someone does - please post!

TIA! :wave:

I am absolutely heartbroken over this case. I have poured over some details from various sources and the information uncovered has left me speechless. The autopsy report made me physically sick. For what it's worth, I don't for even a second believe Matthew was "high" or "hallucinating" on cough syrup. I believe he planned this and I believe that will come to light at trial.
Many prayers for peace and strength over Lauren's family and friends. I will be following this one until the end....

One of the things I have seen on more than one news site is that her family has requested that she be referred to by her maiden name. There is no mention of her married name or Matthew in Lauren's obituary. Seeing that we are a victim friendly place, can I request that her name be changed to her maiden name Hugelmaier?? How do I contact a mod to see if this can happen?
Thanks.

Love and peace all around. This one is a tough one.

Many prayers for peace and strength over Lauren's family and friends. I will be following this one until the end....

One of the things I have seen on more than one news site is that her family has requested that she be referred to by her maiden name. There is no mention of her married name or Matthew in Lauren's obituary. Seeing that we are a victim friendly place, can I request that her name be changed to her maiden name Hugelmaier?? How do I contact a mod to see if this can happen?
Thanks.

Love and peace all around. This one is a tough one.

I clicked the little red Alert triangle, a moderator will review & address the request.

I agree with supporting Lauren's family!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenny in Oz
Back