NC NC - Matthew Stewart, 31, Mooresville, 9 Jun 2009

I haven't heard anything about the bullet or gun used in the Mooresville shooting - just that it *was* a shooting. The police have given us precious few details to go on. Until today's article about the possible Gaffney connection, it hasn't been in the media at all for the past few weeks.

The Gaffney killer took a couple of things from his victims but didn't seem to rob them - police said that money, jewelry, etc. were left in the homes of the victims who were killed in their homes, and if I remember correctly, the man who was killed at his store wasn't robbed at all. I'm glad this is dead, but I wish they had been able to get some answers from him - there hasn't been any connection at all between the victims or any apparent reason that they were chosen.

I'm also skeptical that it was the Gaffney killer because he committed those five murders in the space of about a week, all in the same small town. It seems odd that he'd kill one man in a small town in NC, then wait almost a month before going on a killing spree in another small town in SC. Also, he killed both women that were at the home in Gaffney, as well as the dad and daughter who were the only two people in the store; I don't know why he'd only kill the dad in this case, and leave his wife and children alive since they were also at home that night.

I loved the Ballin and Farese comment - Steve Farese and Leslie Ballin were the defense lawyers for Mary Winkler who murdered her preacher husband, Matthew Winkler. Regarding the Gaffney killer, no way. He would have tied up the wife before shooting them both. A gunman standing over a bed in the middle of the night isn't likely to allow a woman to successfully run out of the house. :liar:

http://www2.mooresvilletribune.com/...as-stabbed-well-shot-autopsy-show/news-local/

There was a new article in the Mooresville Tribune this morning about the murder; the only new information they're releasing is that his autopsy showed several defensive stab wounds, in addition to the gunshot wounds that killed him. Still nothing about suspects. I'm guessing they ruled out any connection to the Gaffney killer.

Paging Ballin and Farese
Okay, I've never heard this expression before. Does it mean you think the story is BS? That seems to be what it is saying to me. Am I right?

Thanks,

Salem

Hi Salem, Sorry I haven't logged in for a while, but I see Reannan already answered this for me.

http://www2.statesville.com/content/2009/aug/21/family-mooresville-murder-victim-state-offer-rewar/

The most recent update... there's a reward of up to $11,000 being offered for information leading to the arrest of a suspect. The police say they have no real suspects right now, but also that no one has been definitively ruled out as a suspect. Which I guess means they're still considering the wife... but it seems like she'd be an obvious suspect, I'm surprised it's taking so long for them to say anything!

I haven't heard anything new regarding this in months, but I've noticed posters with a sketch and reward information in local stores twice over the past week. I'm curious as to why the posters are appearing NOW, months after the murder, since they definitely weren't there even a week ago, but good to know that at least they're still pursuing this case.

http://www2.mooresvilletribune.com/...as-stabbed-well-shot-autopsy-show/news-local/

There was a new article in the Mooresville Tribune this morning about the murder; the only new information they're releasing is that his autopsy showed several defensive stab wounds, in addition to the gunshot wounds that killed him. Still nothing about suspects. I'm guessing they ruled out any connection to the Gaffney killer.

Hmmm...Wife shot in wrist, her mother caught driving around at the scene.

I suspect that her mom was there to help with the kids while wife killed hubby, things went wrong, mother panicked and got the gun, accidentally shooting wife, (her daughter), in the wrist while shooting to kill the hubby. Wife's wrist was in the way because she was stabbing hubby at the time.

All speculation, all MOO.

That's long since been my theory of what happened, too, especially since original reports indicated that the mother-in-law (mom of the wife) drove around the neighborhood several times before stopping at the house. Call me crazy, but if I were coming to my child's house after a crime was committed, I'm pretty sure I'd be out of the car like a shot, not driving in circles for a few minutes to see what there was to see. I don't understand why the Mooresville police haven't pursued the wife angle at all.

Hucklepie, that's exactly my thoughts as well. I can't begin to explain how it bothers me to no end that everything about this case is as fishy as it gets. I really hope that this case doesn't get swept under the rug. Everything I've heard and read about the victim has been nothing but positive things. Does anyone have any updates?

Wow just saw the post that there were posters of a suspect put up. I thought the wife could only say he was tall? Where did a more detailed description years later come from? I swear, no other murders with that mo around....doesn't sound like wifey's being very truthful. It such a quiet case which is crazy. I mean, the Mooresville area is very affluent. Something just isn't right here. ??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't live in Mooresville anymore, but there hasn't been any news about it in ages - since long before I moved away. It's baffling to me that it seemed to just go away with no resolution.

angels_not_forgotten, parts of Mooresville are very affluent and other parts are definitely more middle- to lower-middle class. If I'm not mistaken, they didn't live in one of the especially affluent parts. Not that that has any bearing on the case, but it doesn't strike me as a case of someone having the means to pay off the cops or something like that.

Hey bringing up an old thread as this case is still unsolved. Just seeing if anyone has further information on this? I have been recently introduced to this case as I have seen a video at church of an interview of Angel speaking a little about the incident. She only mentioned she woke up after her husband brought their 2 year old into the bed and saw a shadowy figure in the doorway and opened fire on them. She mentioned she ran out of the house and that her husband fought with the suspect.

She is now happily married to another man who lost his wife in a tragic incident.

I am currently producing a podcast on the unsolved murder of Matthew Ryan Stewart which occurred in Mooresville, NC on June 9th, 2009. This podcast is meant to celebrate the life of Matt Stewart, highlight the resilience and love of a community that came together in the face of this senseless tragedy, examine the facts of the case, and propel this unsolved case back into public discourse so that additional information may come out.

I would love to speak with anyone who knew Matt personally/professionally, lived in the area at the time, or has anything substantive to say about the situation. Please call me at (980) 389-0885 or email me at unforgottenpod@gmail.com

Hey bringing up an old thread as this case is still unsolved. Just seeing if anyone has further information on this? I have been recently introduced to this case as I have seen a video at church of an interview of Angel speaking a little about the incident. She only mentioned she woke up after her husband brought their 2 year old into the bed and saw a shadowy figure in the doorway and opened fire on them. She mentioned she ran out of the house and that her husband fought with the suspect.

She is now happily married to another man who lost his wife in a tragic incident.
BBM WOW. IMO

I am currently producing a podcast on the unsolved murder of Matthew Ryan Stewart which occurred in Mooresville, NC on June 9th, 2009. This podcast is meant to celebrate the life of Matt Stewart, highlight the resilience and love of a community that came together in the face of this senseless tragedy, examine the facts of the case, and propel this unsolved case back into public discourse so that additional information may come out.

I would love to speak with anyone who knew Matt personally/professionally, lived in the area at the time, or has anything substantive to say about the situation. Please call me at (980) 389-0885 or email me at unforgottenpod@gmail.com
I'm local and although I have nothing to add to this case, LOVE that you are doing a Podcast on it!

ETA: I have lives here since 2007 and can't believe I have not heard about this case before. I just got caught up and OMG, I hope this forum picks up some traction b/c the articles I read make me think this was not random and I am ashamed that little ole MPD hasn't solved this yet!

IMHO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea