NC - Officer, several others dead at Raleigh active shooting scene, 13 Oct 2022 *suspect is a minor*

Yes. I would think the suspect was hit by LE return fire since he quit shooting immediately after that.
He sure was free firing before

Raleigh mass shooter's gunshot wound was self-inflicted, says Wake County DA

The teenage suspect of a shooting rampage in northeast Raleigh that killed five people and injured two others suffered from a nonfatal, self-inflicted gunshot wound when he was captured by a tactical robot hours after a shootout with police, according to the Wake County district attorney.

In reviewing law enforcement videos, police reports and crime scene evidence, District Attorney Lorrin Freeman has determined officers' use of force in apprehending the armed suspect was “lawful” and does not warrant further investigation. She directed the State Bureau of Investigation to end its procedural criminal investigation into the officers on Monday.

Why did he kill his own brother? :(
I wish everything would come out, especially now that he is healing and we are hopefully moving toward a trial. I think he only tried to kill himself because he was taking fire from the officers and knew he was surrounded. I am not sure that was the original intent at all. IMO

Hedingham mass shooting survivor will be released from hospital

Since the shooting in October, Gardner has undergone numerous surgeries. She had a handful of setbacks along the way, but clearly persevered, with her friends and family calling her a "walking miracle."

Gardner was critically hurt on Oct. 13 when a 15-year-old gunman opened fire in the Hedingham neighborhood in east Raleigh and on the Neuse River greenway, killing five people including his 16-year-old brother, James Thompson.

There has been no real news lately, except that one of his victims was finally released from the hospital last week after months in the hospital. I also live in the area and have been very surprised at the lack of investigative journalism happening around this. It's almost shocking to me. A woman I know moved from that neighborhood a year ago- she loved it there.

There has been no real news lately, except that one of his victims was finally released from the hospital last week after months in the hospital. I also live in the area and have been very surprised at the lack of investigative journalism happening around this. It's almost shocking to me. A woman I know moved from that neighborhood a year ago- she loved it there.
i second the shock regarding lack of journalism about this. you'd think they would be alllll over it

i second the shock regarding lack of journalism about this. you'd think they would be alllll over i
It makes me wonder what people get away with when there isn't some sort of free press out there to make information more public. On the one hand, you can admire the restraint as the parents of the shooter have lost two sons, essentially here. I do feel compassion for them. On the other, understanding how these weapons came into this minor's hands (being tried as an adult though) could help foster conversations and decisions about gun security going forward which might help prevent these situations. (full disclosure: NC resident and gun owner here. My gun is locked and ammo seperate ) I believe there is some cupability on the gun owner's side if that weapon is not safely secured and comes into the possession of a minor. NOT TRYING TO START a gun law conversation that derails a thread but we have seen a number of cases on here lately about kids having access to weapons with disastrous results. And in the absence of information based on investigative reporting or coming from LE, I don't now what to think about how this happened. As a local, these people who lost their lives were getting outdoor time, exercising and walking dogs and were completely unsuspecting that they would come to harm's way. Is there anyone who could point me in the direction of where to find court documents or next court appearances ?

I'm local and also am concerned about how little follow up this tragedy has had in local news. One of the victims, SK, was a friend of a close friend. The running community especially was hit hard by this as SK was well know in local running groups. The complete randomness of going out for an early evening run and being gunned down by a teenager who's mad at the world is hard to fathom.

ETA Unlike many similar tragedies, in this case the shooter survived, Privacy and juvenile protection laws not withstanding, it seems like at some point a partial explanation for what their motivation was might be possible. Anything, at least, that could help prevent endless repeats of this same violence in the future. But society, if not editorial priorities, seem to be shrugging their shoulders again, and not digging for answers.

Last edited:
I'm local and also am concerned about how little follow up this tragedy has had in local news. ... The complete randomness of going out for an early evening run and being gunned down by a teenager who's mad at the world is hard to fathom.

ETA Unlike many similar tragedies, in this case the shooter survived, Privacy and juvenile protection laws not withstanding, it seems like at some point a partial explanation for what their motivation was might be possible. Anything, at least, that could help prevent endless repeats of this same violence in the future. But society, if not editorial priorities, seem to be shrugging their shoulders again, and not digging for answers.
Semi-local (southwest Ral near Crossroads); same surprise that there wasn't more reporting about this since it happened. (Same with the DA kid who reworked his own brakes , dodged vehicle inspections, and killed the girl in the parade; virtually no coverage I've seen.)

In the case of the NE Ral jogging-path shooting, I have believed that there was little coverage because mental illness is as cruel and blameless as physical illness (IMO!) and the news sources were trying to protect the families. That kid and his parents couldn't be blamed for the kid's mental illness any more than for (hypothetical dad's bowel cancer) but there's still a seriously ugly stigma attached to it. All of this is just in my personal (but invariably entirely correct) opinion. :)

Why no coverage for the pickup truck kid, I don't know; maybe the extreme tragedy of this kid's having ruined his liife with the dumb decisions to alter his vehicle and hide the fact from state inspections. Dumb decisions, IMO; ruined lives in result.

Semi-local (southwest Ral near Crossroads); same surprise that there wasn't more reporting about this since it happened. (Same with the DA kid who reworked his own brakes , dodged vehicle inspections, and killed the girl in the parade; virtually no coverage I've seen.)

In the case of the NE Ral jogging-path shooting, I have believed that there was little coverage because mental illness is as cruel and blameless as physical illness (IMO!) and the news sources were trying to protect the families. That kid and his parents couldn't be blamed for the kid's mental illness any more than for (hypothetical dad's bowel cancer) but there's still a seriously ugly stigma attached to it. All of this is just in my personal (but invariably entirely correct) opinion. :)

Why no coverage for the pickup truck kid, I don't know; maybe the extreme tragedy of this kid's having ruined his liife with the dumb decisions to alter his vehicle and hide the fact from state inspections. Dumb decisions, IMO; ruined lives in result.
You may be right about mental illness. I also forgot about the pickup truck kid. I think that in this, and in many cases, the eventual legal consequences have been of much less interest to local media than the initial events.

Not to be off topic and in response to your comment, but there has been recent news in Raleigh on the parade truck driver just 6 days ago. Will not post it here. And I am in NC and watch Raleigh news and there has been little and none about the mass shooting in Raleigh in the news.

Last edited:
Finally some movement!

The teen accused of a mass shooting last fall in Raleigh appeared in court Wednesday morning.
A judge ruled that Austin Thompson, who was 15 when, investigators say, he shot and stabbed his brother, then shot four others in Raleigh's Hedingham neighborhood, should be tried in district court, as an adult.

Raleigh Hedingham mass shooting suspect Austin Thompson adult court

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back