NC - Officer, several others dead at Raleigh active shooting scene, 13 Oct 2022 *suspect is a minor*

“Grave condition”: I read as a clear signal from the healthcare facility.
Grave condition generally means, but may not in this case if it’s an outlier: it generally means, we are giving the living time to say their peace and begin a path of grieving, and we are working out the ethics of possible organ donation given the circumstances. It’s mechanical support. I might be wrong, and if I am I will come back here and openly talk about that. I doubt I am though. I think this is a situation that breaks the hearts of dozens if not hundreds at this point.

I agree that a mentally stable person does not engage in a killing spree. But I fear just simply chalking it up to a psychiatric illness perpetuates stigma towards those living with a mental illness. Means restriction goes a long way towards preventing acts of self-harm and violence towards others. If the family had any suspicion that the child was “off” or if there was any concerning change in behavior, securing firearms and locking away large doses of medicine, knives, etc. would be an important safety measure. I suspect we’ll find out more about how the shooter obtained the firearm. It’s a tragedy, for sure, and doubly tragic for the family of these brothers.
Most people who are dealing with mental illness are good about taking their meds. I personally take meds , in the past I’ve tried to stop some meds was unable to do it. My symptoms start reoccurring and I don’t particularly like the way I feel.
Growing up my dad did not secure his guns . He had a 38 revolver that he left on his dresser or night stand a 12 gauge and a 22 rifle in the closet but I knew that they were off limits.

I'm one that always looks for the motive. Even evil starts somewhere. What made him evil? The motives are rarely valid for murder, but it gives a look into the killer's mind. As someone who works with children, I'm always wondering if there's something I can do in the early years to keep situations like this from happening. One thing I do notice: kids mimic adults, from infancy through adolescence. Often, you can see that once details of their home/social life emerged

Who are
He also had access to a deadly weapon… however that was obtained.
Oh yes- without that deadly weapon he would not have been able to carry out his deadly deed.

Agree. Sounds like he snapped, shot the brother, then went on a rampage. Probably the majority of people on the Greenway at that time happened to be middle-aged women. Definitely not ruling out misogyny, but I think opportunity was more at play. But how terrifying.
As a former user of this Greenway path, it has been my observation that men are usually breezing through on bicycles and women are typically the ones walking the path. Very rarely have I seen a man walking the paths.

Last edited:
Most people who are dealing with mental illness are good about taking their meds. I personally take meds , in the past I’ve tried to stop some meds was unable to do it. My symptoms start reoccurring and I don’t particularly like the way I feel.
Growing up my dad did not secure his guns . He had a 38 revolver that he left on his dresser or night stand a 12 gauge and a 22 rifle in the closet but I knew that they were off limits.
my cousin have a severely mentally disabled teenage son with a rare genetic disorder...one of the symptoms is aggression..he keeps beating his mother and his young brothers.. and he refuses to take meds.. they tried to put when he is unaware and them he will detect cause they can be over sensitive ..I dont like to think he can be dangerous but its uncomfortable

my cousin have a severely mentally disabled teenage son with a rare genetic disorder...one of the symptoms is aggression..he keeps beating his mother and his young brothers.. and he refuses to take meds.. they tried to put when he is unaware and them he will detect cause they can be over sensitive ..I dont like to think he can be dangerous but its uncomfortable
He is beating his mother and young brothers. He is dangerous.

he can be born a sociopath ..and its nothing to do with family I am talking generally.. ...ive seen episodes of ( evil lives here ) where the mother saw her child was showing evil signs and that he was dangerous.. she ran from place to place asking for help.. no one helped her into her son committed his first murder
I agree: there are bad seeds: they are just born that way: these people could have come from loving homes and yet they do evil deeds. Certainly in many cases an abusive home life can help create a killer---but for me, I really don't care about the underlying reasons for a person who is a murderer, I just want them brought to justice and off the street so they can't harm others.

Here is a possible route the killer took from the home to the outhouse in the woods where he was found. JMO based on he probable knew this route as he may have taken it to BeaverDam Elementary school. BeaverDam Elementary is .9 miles from their home and the school district for that area. I have not seen anything specific to the exact location of the two shootings on the Greenway Trail. IMO he took to the woods trail along Beaverdam Lake from exploring or fishing. perhaps with his brother. Very sad.
1666024981784.png

In most US states, law enforcement can confine a person who presents danger to self or others.

In some US states, the court would take custody of the younger brothers as the older brother is a threat to them.

As an adult, the mother has more choices than a child re: personal safety.

OT to this thread, but I hope the family is receiving sound advice from experienced medical & legal personnel.

jmho ymmv lrr

I'm one that always looks for the motive. Even evil starts somewhere. What made him evil? The motives are rarely valid for murder, but it gives a look into the killer's mind. As someone who works with children, I'm always wondering if there's something I can do in the early years to keep situations like this from happening. One thing I do notice: kids mimic adults, from infancy through adolescence. Often, you can see that once details of their home/social life emerge, they idolized, copied someone.
I have a fascination with personality disorders. Well maybe fascination isn’t the correct term. Let’s call it a special interest that I spend a lot of time reading and researching.
Anyway generally PDs are fully developed in the teen years, although they cannot be diagnosed until the age of 18, or older.

I’m not saying that AT has a personality disorder.

But I am quite curious to know if he had Conduct Disorder, which usually develops after age 10. Or ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) which generally presents before age 10.

mOo ymmv

For example, like what?

Edit to add: I’m quite curious.
Sudden rage, sometimes my niece will/would not remember a thing she says or does . She is scary. She will be pathetic afterwards. But she will bide her time. She has been like this since she was a child. She has put people in the hospital. She beat up and stabbed her father. Because of her youth, and the “help” she got, she got off with hardly a slap on the wrist. That was 5 years ago. Her father is terrified of her. She’s 21 now. But she will strike again, there is no doubt in anyones mind.
I can speak of her because the others were students. But at the age of 4, they were just like her.

In some US states, the court would take custody of the younger brothers as the older brother is a threat to them.

As an adult, the mother has more choices than a child re: personal safety.

OT to this thread, but I hope the family is receiving sound advice from experienced medical & legal personnel.

jmho ymmv lrr
well i wouldn't call him dangerous..aggression is part of what he was born with.. not evil and not intending harm and thats different
yes he is def receiving medical care and was confined to a medical centre.. but they took him back cause he was attacked by a more aggressive patient who smashed his bones..
i put it as an example of what families might be dealing with and they cant get much help

I'm not quite sure if I want him to survive and face justice or die. as a parent, how do you ever balance that?

Living in a world of guns is terrifying, my love sent to previous posters who feel unsafe even at home.

I don't and won't EVER understand kids access to guns.
I am wondering if he stole the gun some how... and if he had the camo for awhile? Did the parents know that he had any of this kit or
was it hidden away? Did he get obsessive about death or war? I also wonder if he ever threatened his brother or the family before this.

I am wondering if he stole the gun some how... and if he had the camo for awhile? Did the parents know that he had any of this kit or
was it hidden away? Did he get obsessive about death or war? I also wonder if he ever threatened his brother or the family before this.
News is indicating the shooter had two firearms. I am wondering if he stole the officers handgun after shooting him with the rifle and used the officers gun to shoot a few of his victims.

News is indicating the shooter had two firearms. I am wondering if he stole the officers handgun after shooting him with the rifle and used the officers gun to shoot a few of his victims.
This is definitely possible.

Sudden rage, sometimes my niece will/would not remember a thing she says or does . She is scary. She will be pathetic afterwards. But she will bide her time. She has been like this since she was a child. She has put people in the hospital. She beat up and stabbed her father. Because of her youth, and the “help” she got, she got off with hardly a slap on the wrist. That was 5 years ago. Her father is terrified of her. She’s 21 now. But she will strike again, there is no doubt in anyones mind.
I can speak of her because the others were students. But at the age of 4, they were just like her.
Thank you kindly for answering my question.

I am so sorry that niece and your relatives have and are going through this awful situation.

In regards to this case if AT showed these types of symptoms, I hope they were addressed, as best as possible by his parents and family.

JMVHO

Thank you kindly for answering my question.

I am so sorry that niece and your relatives have and are going through this awful situation.

In regards to this case if AT showed these types of symptoms, I hope they were addressed, as best as possible by his parents and family.

JMVHO
I hope so too. So many families just keep denying there is a problem. The kids drop out of main stream school, or if there is money they are sent to private behavioral type schools. But it doesn’t change what is inside them. They can’t help it. They were born that way.

Statement from the shooter's family...

“Words cannot begin to describe our anguish and sorrow".

“Our son Austin inflicted immeasurable pain on the Raleigh community, and we are overcome with grief for the innocent lives lost. We pray for the families and loved ones of Nicole Conners, Susan Karnatz, Mary Marshall, and Raleigh Police Officer Gabriel Torres. We mourn for their loss and for the loss of our son, James".

“We pray that Marcille “Lynn” Gardner and Raleigh Police Officer Casey Clark fully recover from their injuries, and we pray for everyone who was traumatized by these senseless acts of violence".

“We have so many unanswered questions. There were never any indications or warning signs that Austin was capable of doing anything like this. Our family will continue to cooperate fully with law enforcement officials and do whatever we can to help them understand why and how this happened.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MildredVeraHolmes
Back