NC - Officer, several others dead at Raleigh active shooting scene, 13 Oct 2022 *suspect is a minor*

It's pretty long so I put some important parts here.
At approximately 5:09 p.m. on Thursday, October 13, 2022, a call for service was received by the Emergency Communications Center (ECC) regarding multiple shots fired in the vicinity of the golf course in the Hedingham neighborhood. As officers with the Raleigh Police Department were being dispatched to this initial call, additional calls began to be received regarding the discovery of shooting victims in the area. At or about 5:12 p.m., a 911 caller reported hearing shots and shortly thereafter observed two individuals lying on the ground and porch in the 5300 block of Sahalee Way. The first victim, Marcille Gardner, was found lying in the driveway of a residence in the 5300 block of Sahalee Way, and the second victim, Nicole Connors, was observed on the front porch of the same residential property. Ms. Connors later died at the hospital from her injuries, while Ms. Gardner currently remains in critical but stable condition.
In addition, a dog belonging to Ms. Connors was found deceased after having been shot. Shortly after this incident was reported, an additional call came in regarding a shooting in the 6000 block of Osprey Cove Drive in the same neighborhood. It was reported that Raleigh Police Officer Gabriel Torres was in his vehicle and had been shot by a male wearing camouflage clothing. At the time, Officer Torres was sitting inside of his personal vehicle and about to leave for work. Officer Torres, who joined RPD in March 2021, later died at the hospital from his injuries. Based on automated vehicle locator information, initial responding officers began to arrive in the Hedingham neighborhood at approximately 5:19 p.m. Those officers responded with blue lights and sirens operating. In subsequent calls received by ECC, the shooter was described as a young white male with a shotgun last seen running towards the woods. A photograph of the suspect wearing camouflage clothing was obtained from a witness and disseminated to officers.
At approximately 6:42 p.m., officers were ultimately able to locate the suspect in an area with two outbuildings near McConnell Oliver Drive. As officers were attempting to search the area, the suspect fired multiple shots at the officers from one of the buildings. At approximately 6:44 p.m., Raleigh Police Officer Casey Clark fell to the ground after sustaining a gunshot wound. Multiple officers, including two officers with the Raleigh Police Department, returned fire. Officers deployed cover fire allowing Officer Clark to be pulled to safety so that he could begin receiving treatment for his injuries. Preliminary results indicate that approximately 23 rounds were fired by RPD officers. Those rounds were fired in the direction of the outbuilding where the suspect fired upon officers.
Following the exchange of gunfire, officers established a perimeter to keep the suspect contained in the outbuilding for the safety of the nearby community due to concerns about the nature of the weapons he possessed to include multiple firearms, as well as possible hand grenades as reported in a 911 call. During this time, officers gave repeated commands to the suspect to come out with his hands up and to surrender his weapons as part of their de-escalation efforts. In addition, officers with the Selective Enforcement Unit (SEU) utilized tactical equipment to identify the exact location of the suspect in the outbuilding and the weapons in his possession. At approximately 9:34 p.m., after continued reassessment of the threat the suspect posed, SEU officers advanced towards the outbuilding. The suspect was located inside lying on the ground and appeared to be suffering from a single gunshot wound. At the time, he was wearing camouflage clothing and a backpack, and a handgun was in his waistband. The backpack contained various items, including several types of shotgun/rifle ammunition. A sheath for a large knife was found clipped to his belt, and a large hunting knife was found at the front of the outbuilding. A shotgun and shotgun shells were lying on the ground near him. No other weapons were found.

Last edited:
Nothing about the brother? What started the killing?
Unless the shooter left a note explaining his actions, which was not referenced in the report, I do not believe that he is currently in any condition to. I do wonder why the mother rushed home though, in such an apparent panic that she didn't even pull her car into the driveway. Did she get a call from either son? Did she have any reason to suspect or fear that either of her sons were involved? Did a neighbor hear gunshots inside their home and call her? We don't know. JMO

Last edited:
Well, this was interesting. There is definitely more but maybe holding back in case he really is getting better and can be tried. I think more will come out in time after the brother's funeral and once there is a better idea of the shooter's future condition.

A few questions /observations I have after reading the report:

• Why is it worded "Based on information currently available, there does not appear to be any connection between the victims that were shot by the suspect prior to his encounter with the police other than they lived in the same neighborhood" when they know the 16 yo was his brother? Obviously, that is a connection.
  • Whose home was in the 2200 block of Castle Pines Dr? Just another random home or someone he knew?
  • Where was the father in all of this...when did he get home?
  • It does seem to me that the suspect's GSW was self-inflicted based on the area of the body (forehead) described by EMS personnel on scanner.
  • Of course, what was the motive?
  • What written materials were found in the home, and when will we hear about them? (This was not addressed at all in the report.)

Unless the shooter left a note explaining his actions, which was not referenced in the report, I do not believe that he is currently in any condition to. I do wonder why the mother rushed home though, in such an apparent panic that she didn't even pull her car into the driveway. Did she get a call from either son? Did she have any reason to suspect or fear that either of her sons were involved? Did a neighbor hear gunshots inside their home and call her? We don't know. JMO
I wonder if they had camera's in or around the house that alerted the mom.

Looks like I had the shooters route pretty close. Still wondering if there was anything planned with the Beaverdam Elementary School that didn't occur due to a delay with his brother at home before he started.

1666301946526.png New Bitmap Image (2).jpg

A few questions /observations I have after reading the report:

• Why is it worded "Based on information currently available, there does not appear to be any connection between the victims that were shot by the suspect prior to his encounter with the police other than they lived in the same neighborhood" when they know the 16 yo was his brother? Obviously, that is a connection.
  • Whose home was in the 2200 block of Castle Pines Dr? Just another random home or someone he knew?
  • Where was the father in all of this...when did he get home?
  • It does seem to me that the suspect's GSW was self-inflicted based on the area of the body (forehead) described by EMS personnel on scanner.
  • Of course, what was the motive?
  • What written materials were found in the home, and when will we hear about them? (This was not addressed at all in the report.)
I think that first question you have is saying there is not connection between the victims as in there was not a specific motive that lead to the specific people he shot being shot. It appears he just picked who he saw in his way and shot them. If they were all connected in some way, I'd say it would be specific race, religion, part of a specific organization or maybe all people that wronged the shooter.. etc. I think the wording is simply indicating there is no know connection between the victims.

I think that first question you have is saying there is not connection between the victims as in there was not a specific motive that lead to the specific people he shot being shot. It appears he just picked who he saw in his way and shot them. If they were all connected in some way, I'd say it would be specific race, religion, part of a specific organization or maybe all people that wronged the shooter.. etc. I think the wording is simply indicating there is no know connection between the victims.
@justtrish thank you for that clarification. I am often guilty of reading too fast! And reading it incorrectly.

New details on Raleigh mass shooting; 15-year-old armed with three weapons

Raleigh police say that after they shot the 15-year-old suspect and took him into custody, they found several weapons in his backpack and in the surrounding area of the outbuilding where he was holed up.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Police say a handgun was in the teen’s waistband, a sheath for a large knife was clipped to his belt, a large hunting knife was at the front of the outbuilding, a shotgun and shotgun shells were lying on the ground near him, and several types of shotgun/rifle ammo were in his backpack. No other weapons were found.

Perhaps it was on a neighborhood FB page or NextDoor?
JMO

Wondering as well if there was any interaction with golfers on the 15th or 16th holes. The shooter's home backs up right next to the 16th hole tee boxes. Anyone there would definitely have heard any shots from the home or outside on Sahalee Way or as the shooter crossed Castle Pines Drive onto the 15th hole fairway to get to Osprey Cove Dr prior to getting on the Neuse River Greenway Trail. It was a nice, clear day, 75 deg. very nice for fall golf. One would think there would be golfers on the back 9 that time of day. ???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back