NC - Shaniya Davis, 5, Allegedly sold by mother 11/10/09 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that MAM registered for a room at this hotel....just IMO. I think he was meeting someone there.....no?

Has it been stated by LE that MAM in fact registered at this hotel?

I was taken aback in reviewing many of the posts on Shaniya’s threads. The speculation about dialect is, in my opinion, counterproductive and illogical. While I will not entertain the underlying stereotype and overtones here, I was intrigued by these comments.

Since there appears to be a lack of diversity awareness and repetitive stereotyping of people of color, I find it appropriate to bring to your attention the comments relative to dialect changes when around people of color is demeaning and offensive to me, as an African American woman.
Put another way, the references to how he spoke / speaks in the company of varying audiences, followed by the reluctance to “go there”; insinuates a predilection of how one should act or speak; based on the color of their skin. Furthermore, the dialect that BL displayed during the vigil is a common verbal expression shared among members of African American churches and communities. It is not a definition of an individual and/or reflective of one’s skin color. A Google search on the history of enslaved African’s and the English language dialect association will provide an abundance of material for use as an education tool.

Because I understand the complexities and anxiety associated with this case, I have attempted not to “prejudge” the overtones of these comments, which appear on their face to be filled with hidden meaning. As such, I do not find it necessary to single out individual posters, by linking to the associated posts. (If anyone is in doubt, a quick read of the previous thread (#15) will provide the answers to satisfy your angst).
While sleuthing the facts of any case is not about protecting the feelings of others; we should all be cognizant of the reality of the extremely diverse World Wide Web. Moreover, I am disappointed in the play on linguistics and dialect of anyone, in relationship to skin color; and am appalled to see inclusion of such at Websleuths. My primary reason for joining Websleuths was because of the level of professionalism that I witnessed here; in comparison to many other sites. My hopes are that we, as posters here, continue to elevate our level of professionalism and exercise the abundance of skills among all of us; and leave the racial epithets aside.

p.s. – the speculation about “ethnic hair” and “braids” is a little off base also. I have NEVER done my hair or had my hair done, the night before and it doesn’t take longer to bring it into a beautiful hairdo. I mean, black people are not from another planet…really, we’re not! While hair texture differs among every race, the stereotyping about “ethnic hair” and “braids” and “leaving it out” is ridiculous! In fact, any black hairstylist recommends not pulling it up at into “pigtails” at night; but braiding or wrapping it; so as not to cause breakage or damage. And…leaving hair out means wearing it down; just as she said…no more / no less. There’s nothing to read into that! It certainly doesn’t mean…”I is nasty”! LOL – NOT!

The uneducated guesses, i.e. speculation with no quantification, about racial issues by those who have no experience is frustrating because so many are stated as fact—with some underlying reason for someone’s statement. Not to mention offensive.
Lastly, she was listed as “black” everywhere, because the only choice you have is white, black, Hispanic-not black, Island Pacific or other. I absolutely refuse to list my multi racial child as “other”…because the country in which I live and my father and grandfather went to war for refuses to provide a legal definition of his race. And it wouldn’t matter anyway, because the national code system, automatically codes any “N, C, Colored, Black, or African American” race as black. The 2010 census is the first that will allow a selection other than…select a box and will accurately code race based on what is written. So, legally, Shaniya is black.

I must be missing something here, because I don’t see where Shaniya’s race had anything to do with her disappearance. While I agree with the potential jealousy and/or spite that demon momster might have exhibited, I also believe that would have been the case regardless of the color of dad’s skin.
She is a beautiful girl whose life was cut short due to, what appears to be a litany of circumstances. Does it really matter if she’s black, mixed, biracial, white, Asian, or whatever??? Socio-economic conditions??? Certainly…but that should not be attached to a person’s race.

Did anyone confirm she was in the home on the 9th? Are sure that she wasn't "taken" days before she was even reported missing?

Again, this could be wishful thinking but...AD's Arrest Warrant includes "Intent" in the charges. When AD was arrested, the police had MAM in custody, AD interviews, video coming and going, and interviews with other players such as Cole. They may have found things in the house (besides poop) that leads them to a sexual crime. If not, either the video of them leaving is revealing or they are relying on someone's account (MAM). Of course, he's going to posture himself as a delivery man doing as he's told. The autopsy evidence hopefully gives them enough to paint the story.

Someone was on earlier spent the day in Fayetteville. She was chatting with the locals and the gossip there is that charges will be reduced for AD. Doesn't mean anything really but interesting.

Usually I love being a detective pulling together theories, but sexual crimes against children are too horrible for me to think about. I want her to be given a drug and she died peacefully.

Here is a video and it appears it was thursday night the police released the video pictures and told about Mcneil. Is this his fiance in the video?

Not that I know of and I can't wait to hear the story how the Hotel person decided to watch the tapes.

At our property, we have two monitors showing the views from 32 cameras. The way the thumbnail pictures are set up, you can follow any action in real time in order. So things would appear in progression. We can follow someone from the parking lot through the door to the elevator to a room without any lapse in footage.

In the very early hours, our night auditor pretty much just stares at the monitors. After the paperwork is done, there isn't much else to do and pretty much any activity at that hour is still sporadic enough that it raises your interest. Before the breakfast host, MOD, housekeepers, front desk gets there, night audit is the only real line of defense for most hotels.

Audit shift is typically 11-7a, so it could either be audit or someone working the front desk that recognized her. My bet would be that someone on audit noticed her and stuck around a bit. Shift changes are busy times and I doubt many people would be paying attention between 6:55 and 7:15. It's when you run your reports, change signage, count the drawers, open the pool, etc, etc. This is pretty standard in most properties at which I've worked.

Maybe I'm being overanalytical, but I can tell your our auditor would totally have noticed this activity and he'd be the first one thinking it was hinky. Auditors are a special breed. Night owls with a lot of time on their hands and they're generally hypervigilant to odd activity not just for hotel security, but for their own. I'm sure the monitors and DVRs for the cameras are in the front office, as they are in most hotel properties. This wasn't something they likely had to research in some computer room. It was probably a case of the employee watching it happen and running it back when they looked at Shaniya's picture again. It operates just like a cable DVR for the most part, if the system is at all modern. In a newish hotel, it likely would be.

Here is a video and it appears it was thursday night the police released the video pictures and told about Mcneil. Is this his fiance in the video?

I don't see the video, but if she's hard to understand and pretty much accepting if he did, he did..that's AA. I hadn't heard they were engaged.

Usually I love being a detective pulling together theories, but sexual crimes against children are too horrible for me to think about. I want her to be given a drug and she died peacefully.

I have no desire to hear the autopsy results. :sick:

I thought i read an article that it was that evening a hotel person was watching the tapes and noticed her and called the police and by the time they got there they were long gone.
Were you thinking of Barbara Davenport, the talky MH manager that reviewed her tapes with LE?

Ok so we don't lose sight of this case, may I just interject here nobody's post I read was objecting to any given dialect...

It was the inconsistency, or chameleonlike changing of dialects depending upon w whom one is speaking or attempting to 'fit in.'

Integrity = being the same person, in all places, w all people, at all times. JMO

:parrot:

I was taken aback in reviewing many of the posts on Shaniya’s threads. The speculation about dialect is, in my opinion, counterproductive and illogical. While I will not entertain the underlying stereotype and overtones here, I was intrigued by these comments.

Since there appears to be a lack of diversity awareness and repetitive stereotyping of people of color, I find it appropriate to bring to your attention the comments relative to dialect changes when around people of color is demeaning and offensive to me, as an African American woman.
Put another way, the references to how he spoke / speaks in the company of varying audiences, followed by the reluctance to “go there”; insinuates a predilection of how one should act or speak; based on the color of their skin. Furthermore, the dialect that BL displayed during the vigil is a common verbal expression shared among members of African American churches and communities. It is not a definition of an individual and/or reflective of one’s skin color. A Google search on the history of enslaved African’s and the English language dialect association will provide an abundance of material for use as an education tool.

Because I understand the complexities and anxiety associated with this case, I have attempted not to “prejudge” the overtones of these comments, which appear on their face to be filled with hidden meaning. As such, I do not find it necessary to single out individual posters, by linking to the associated posts. (If anyone is in doubt, a quick read of the previous thread (#15) will provide the answers to satisfy your angst).
While sleuthing the facts of any case is not about protecting the feelings of others; we should all be cognizant of the reality of the extremely diverse World Wide Web. Moreover, I am disappointed in the play on linguistics and dialect of anyone, in relationship to skin color; and am appalled to see inclusion of such at Websleuths. My primary reason for joining Websleuths was because of the level of professionalism that I witnessed here; in comparison to many other sites. My hopes are that we, as posters here, continue to elevate our level of professionalism and exercise the abundance of skills among all of us; and leave the racial epithets aside.

p.s. – the speculation about “ethnic hair” and “braids” is a little off base also. I have NEVER done my hair or had my hair done, the night before and it doesn’t take longer to bring it into a beautiful hairdo. I mean, black people are not from another planet…really, we’re not! While hair texture differs among every race, the stereotyping about “ethnic hair” and “braids” and “leaving it out” is ridiculous! In fact, any black hairstylist recommends not pulling it up at into “pigtails” at night; but braiding or wrapping it; so as not to cause breakage or damage. And…leaving hair out means wearing it down; just as she said…no more / no less. There’s nothing to read into that! It certainly doesn’t mean…”I is nasty”! LOL – NOT!

The uneducated guesses, i.e. speculation with no quantification, about racial issues by those who have no experience is frustrating because so many are stated as fact—with some underlying reason for someone’s statement. Not to mention offensive.
Lastly, she was listed as “black” everywhere, because the only choice you have is white, black, Hispanic-not black, Island Pacific or other. I absolutely refuse to list my multi racial child as “other”…because the country in which I live and my father and grandfather went to war for refuses to provide a legal definition of his race. And it wouldn’t matter anyway, because the national code system, automatically codes any “N, C, Colored, Black, or African American” race as black. The 2010 census is the first that will allow a selection other than…select a box and will accurately code race based on what is written. So, legally, Shaniya is black.

I must be missing something here, because I don’t see where Shaniya’s race had anything to do with her disappearance. While I agree with the potential jealousy and/or spite that demon momster might have exhibited, I also believe that would have been the case regardless of the color of dad’s skin.
She is a beautiful girl whose life was cut short due to, what appears to be a litany of circumstances. Does it really matter if she’s black, mixed, biracial, white, Asian, or whatever??? Socio-economic conditions??? Certainly…but that should not be attached to a person’s race.

Well....wow. Lots to digest here.

I have not seen or noticed anywhere in all these posts where Shaniya's "race" was blamed for her disappearance or demise.

everyoneneedsavoice - I hope I was not among those that offended you, but if I was please tell my how. I tried only to comment on the hair out thing, as far as racial anything.
And only then because I did live in a black household and heard the expression many times.

Coming late to the party so forgive me if this has been gone over before.

I nearly fell over dead before I started puking when I found out her BF"s rap sheet. Holy :censored:

I wish I could find a list of his crimes but I can't. I heard it on NG tonight. IIRC, NG said he was arrested for shooting a person in the face and two other people and only got parole. :furious: WTF!!!!!!!!!!! I reiterate WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to carry this over, but it is part of my needing to know why.

It was said last thread that the adults in the trailer lived in filth because they were drug addicts and couldn't afford better. I refuse to accept this as an answer.
Addicts make choices. Most of them bad. (By the way they are users, as well as addicts. Important distinction.) You can always afford better than filth. Water and material to scrub with is not that hard to find. Neither are cheap cleaners. A $1 bottle of bleach goes a long way. So I refuse to believe that it was just the drugs.
I have been addicted....even at my lowest, there was no feces anywhere in my home and all of the facilities worked fine. There is something darker at work here that would allow a person to keep themselves in that level of....whatever you call it.

Once again, I do not mean the trailer itself. I mean the level of filth and space issues of so many people.

Not sure what you've been addicted to, but the state of crack houses is well known. Disgusting. It's not being poor that brings the filth. It's that the mind on drugs like crack and meth take over a person and nothing else matters. Not cleanliness, not family, not friends, not working, nothing.

Coming late to the party so forgive me if this has been gone over before.

I nearly fell over dead before I started puking when I found out her BF"s rap sheet. Holy :censored:

I wish I could find a list of his crimes but I can't. I heard it on NG tonight. IIRC, NG said he was arrested for shooting a person in the face and two other people and only got parole. :furious: WTF!!!!!!!!!!! I reiterate WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot running over a cop.

Not sure what you've been addicted to, but the state of crack houses is well known. Disgusting. It's not being poor that brings the filth. It's that the mind on drugs like crack and meth take over a person and nothing else matters. Not cleanliness, not family, not friends, not working, nothing.

Well, it wasn't meth or crack. I was smart enough to stay away from them.

I have pretty much come to conclusion that the problem I have understanding this is perspective. My mom was a collector, or hoarder (I think that's the PC term now.) So by comparison, the drug houses that I was in (and I don't hide my past, I've been in plenty) seemed nice in comparison. But, what doesn't seem nicer when you were raised in a house with clothes to the ceiling in every room and 30 non housebroken cats.
To most people, drug houses are nasty, to me, they were an improvement. It's my perspective that's flawed.

Well, it wasn't meth or crack. I was smart enough to stay away from them.

I have pretty much come to conclusion that the problem I have understanding this is perspective. My mom was a collector, or hoarder (I think that's the PC term now.) So by comparison, the drug houses that I was in (and I don't hide my past, I've been in plenty) seemed nice in comparison. But, what doesn't seem nicer when you were raised in a house with clothes to the ceiling in every room and 30 non housebroken cats.
To most people, drug houses are nasty, to me, they were an improvement. It's my perspective that's flawed.

Did you know that hoarding of animals has been linked to women that have been sexually abused?

My best friend, in the course of her work, went to a home where the toilet was overflowing and the bathtub then was used and filled. I am NOT making this up. I don't know if the Mom was on drugs as this was a few years ago and meth was not in yet. Don't know about crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn