GUILTY NC - Travis Baker, 19, Claremont, 16 April 2007

OMG i so hope for Dwayne and Patricia it is him. They need some closure to this after 2 years. Praying hard here in NC for this family.

God Bless the Baker family that they may beable to get answers. It is time for answers. I had a feeling he was going to be found this year.

Skeletal remains found during search for teen missing since 20007

03:22 PM EDT on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

By NewsChannel 36 Staff
E-mail Us: NEWS@WCNC.com

CATAWBA, N.C. -- Catawba County authorities say they found skeletal remains, clothing and car parts buried off Long Island Road, south of the town of Catawba, on Wednesday.

Investigators were searching the area in connection with the disappearance of Travis Baker. Baker was last seen on April 16, 2007, when he was 19 years old.

Authorities sent the remains to Chapel Hill for identification.

Investigators would not say whether the car parts matched Baker's 1998 red Camaro, which was never found after his disappearance.

Also Online
Related Stories:
• Families of missing persons wait for ID on human remains
• Family offers reward for missing son
Investigators said they received new information in the case last Friday, which led them to the location off Long Island Road.

Baker was last seen at a friend's home. He reportedly phoned his fiancé on the day of his disappearance to make lunch plans but failed to show up.

Skeletal Remains Found in Catawba County, Could be Missing Teen
Written by Adam Hicks

Wednesday, June 24 2009
Catawba County authorities believe skeletal remains that were found in Catawba could be those of a teenager who has been missing for over two years.

The Hickory Daily Record reports authorities are transporting the remains to Chapel Hill to see if they belong to Travis Baker.

The Record reports Baker was last seen as he left for work in Hickory in April of 2007.

Officials told the Record the remains were found this morning in a wooded area behind a house on Eulalia Lane in Catawba County.

High Country Radio will pass along more information when it becomes available.

The way the crime scene looks,someone told them where this was. It's behind a house also. I read somewhere else,nothing to back it up but this is in fact Travis and warrants have already been served for murder. Just hearsay though but i hope for this family that justice is served soon.

i heard the father is on his way to where they found the remains.

apparently some guy told LE he killed travis and buried him there.

doesn't seem the news is saying too much about it. i guess they're waiting for a positive ID.

press conference tomorrow at 2:00

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/798373.html

Comments (0) | Recommend (0)Print Reprint or License Share Tool NameClose
tool goes here Bones found during search for missing teen
By David Perlmutt
dperlmutt@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Wednesday, Jun. 24, 2009
Skeletal remains, car parts and clothing were found buried in Catawba County today as authorities continued to search for clues to the disappearance of Travis Baker, 19 when he went missing in April 2007.

Investigators were searching in an area where Baker was last seen when they found the remains and other items buried off Long Island Road, south of the town of Catawba, the Observer's news partner, WCNC NewsChannel 36 reported.

The skeletal remains were sent to Chapel Hill for identification. Investigators wouldn't say if the car parts matched Baker's 1998 red Chevrolet Camaro, which has never been found.

They did say they were led to the spot after receiving new information on the case last week.

Baker, a Bunker Hill High School graduate, was last seen around midday April 16, 2007, at an Exxon Station on Oxford School Road near Catawba. He was driving his Camaro and sent a text message shortly before 11:30 a.m. to his girlfriend. The message said he was looking forward to seeing her.

Baker didn't show up for a lunch appointment, or work that night -- leaving two paychecks. Authorities searched lakes Norman, Hickory and Outlook, but found no trace of Baker or his car. They have followed more than 50 leads in the case.

Subscribe to The Charlotte Observer & Earn Miles.

Wow! For his family's sake, I hope they have answers soon.

just saw the local news, said that LE isn't telling us anything until tomorrow. that the ME will have the results tomorrow.

I live just over the Catawba County line and yet I hadn't heard a word of this on the news today. I'm thrilled that the people on Websleuths care enough to cover this kind of thing, but it irks me to no end that the majority of the local news media doesn't pick it up at all!

I hope it's Travis, for his family's sake. Even though I'm sure it's heartbreaking to find out that a loved one was murdered, I would think that never knowing would be worse.

Bless their hearts to know that their son was involved with drugs. It was said that he was but they didn't believe it. So many prayers for this family right now.

Someone commented on the Charlotte Observer article this morning that the Google map of the address where the body was found seems to have a red Camaro parked outside. Travis's car, which was never found, was a red Camaro. I went to the link, but I couldn't zoom in far enough to see if the commenter was right - I do see a red car, but have no idea if it's a Camaro.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1..., catawba, nc&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2009/06/travis-lee-baker.html

Man Charged in Murder of Missing NC Teen, Travis Lee Baker
June 25, 2009
The two year search for 19-year-old Travis Lee Baker may have ended yesterday with the discovery of human skeletal remains in a Catawba County, North Carolina, field. Additionally, the hunt for the person responsible for Travis's alleged murder could also be over, with the arrest of 46-year-old John Mitchell Jr., a resident of Orange County, Florida, who police say confessed to a police informant that he committed the crime.

Details are sketchy and authorities remain tight lipped about the case, pending a positive identification of the remains; however a search warrant that was obtained by police earlier this week details some of the most recent events that have occurred.

On June 19, Sgt. Aaron Turk, of the Catawba County Sheriff's Office, received a tip from a confidential police informant, who told him that Mitchell had confessed to killing Travis and that he had buried him on a property on Eulalia Lane in Catawba.
The informant, according to an ID source, was a man police had recently arrested for a high profile burglary. Rather than risk going to jail for an extended period of time, the man allegedly made a deal with police - offering up Travis in exchange for his freedom.

When police spoke with the Eulalia Lane property owner, he allegedly admitted that Mitchell had hid some of Travis's belongings there, including the bumper to his missing candy-apple red 1998 Chevy Camaro. A consensual search of the property was then conducted, during which police identified a location that fit the informant's description of the burial spot.

On June 22, authorities obtained a search warrant for the property, during which they used a cadaver dog to help them locate the clandestine grave that contained the human skeletal remains. In addition to the remains, authorities seized textiles and automotive parts.The skeletal remains have since been sent to the Medical Examiner's Office in Chapel Hill.

On the same day police in North Carolina found the human remains, authorities in Florida picked up John Mitchell Jr. on first degree murder charges. He was booked just after 9 p.m. and placed into a county jail pending his extradition.

A motive in the alleged killing remains unclear. The informant allegedly told police that Travis had gone to Mitchell's house to deliver drugs; however his family balks at that suggestion, claiming Travis was clean and sober.

"If he did do that, it was something he got into just one or two weeks before he went missing," Travis's father, Dwayne Baker, said in an interview with hickoryrecord.com, adding that his son took regular drug tests for his job. "And that shouldn't have any bearing on the fact he's a missing human being."

Regardless of the motive, investigators are hoping to have a positive identification sometime today. At that time they are expected to hold a press conference to update the public on the case.

History

Travis Lee Baker vanished without a trace on the morning of April 14, 2007. According to family members, he had gone to visit a friend in Catawba that morning. At 11:09 a.m., he called his fiancée, Haley, to tell her he was leaving to visit another friend. During their brief conversation, they agreed to have lunch together later that day.

Less than twenty minutes later, Travis sent a text message to Haley that read: "Baby, I will see you in a few minutes." That would prove to be the last time his fiancée would hear from him. Ensuing text messages from Haley were unanswered and calls to Travis's cellphone went straight to voice mail. He never showed up for the lunch date, and later that day, he failed to show up for his job at a major food distribution company. Concerned for their son's safety, Travis's parents notified the Catawba County Sheriff's Office and reported him missing.

Investigators conducted aerial searches the following day in an attempt to locate Travis's Camaro, but they were unable to find any trace of it. As time progressed, fly-over searches encompassed Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, but none resulted in the discovery of Travis or his car.

In addition to local and state authorities, the Kristen Foundation and the CUE Center for Missing Persons both assisted the Baker family by creating awareness of the case, helping raise funds to erect billboards and assisting in local searches. Travis's family also distributed and posted hundreds of flyers and started a MySpace page in the hope that it might result in a tip from someone who is too afraid to contact the police. The case also led Travis's aunt, Tonya Cavender to become an advocate and volunteer searcher in other missing person cases.

Travis's mother, Patricia Baker, has not slept well in over two years. Her nerves make her sick with migraines and nausea, and his father says the fear and anxiety is almost too much to bear. In an August 2007 interview I conducted with Dwayne, he told me that "not knowing is the hardest part." He also said that he wanted the "nightmare" to end.

Related Links:
A Thanksgiving Wish for the Missing
Travis Lee Baker: Teen's Sudden Disappearance Baffles Police

Photo Credits: Perez Hilton: Charley Gallay/WireImage/Getty Images; Black Eyed Peas: George Pimentel/WireImage/Getty Images

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission from Discovery Communications. All quotes must include a link back.

rated 5.0 by 3 people [?]

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/content/2009/jun/25/Police-Remains-those-of-Travis-Baker/

Newton, N.C. - The remains found near a hay field in Catawba have been identified as Travis Baker.

During a press conference with Baker's families and friends present, Chief Deputy Coy Reid, of the Catawba County Sheriff's Office, announced that the skeletal remains discovered Wednesday morning were those of the teen who disappeared more than two years ago.

A tip received by the sheriff's department focused the investigation on John Lee Mitchell Jr., who was arrested in Orange County, Fla., Wednesday night. Mitchell is to go in front of a judge Thursday and, if he waives his extradition, may be bought back to Catawba County Friday.

See tomorroow's Daily Record for more information and updates.

Please sign in to leave comments.
(Register for an account.)
Username:
Password: (Lost your password?)

Email Print

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads