NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about in the home but I've had several hearing impaired children in the classroom and they are usually quieter not louder.

One boy - I was required to wear the microphone and they fitted both me and him and he sat right up front near me - he asked me NOT to wear the mic - he could hear me just fine and he did very well in my class. Even came back years later to just say Hi.

But like I said they were usually quieter.

I have encountered children with mild to moderate hearing loss. I would have to say as a general rule they are quieter. Children with damaged hearing tend to have a high frequency loss unless, of course, they have a profound loss in which case a bone conductor "body aide" would be more appropriate.

Would a child with a hearing problem like Zahra's tend to be louder than normal do you think?

Do you want the truth? lol

It has always been an inside joke that folks think deaf people are quiet.. The deaf and hard of hearing are LOUD.

My daughter is profoundly deaf (likely due to antibiotics when she had meningitis) and it was very normal or us to stomp on the floor to get her attention with vibration. That is how the deaf "hear" music too.

Oh and they call it "deaf time" for a good reason--- they have no sense of time.

I so wanted Jean C. or Natisha to ask the manager/couple if they could ever hear just WHAT they were fighting about. They had to have heard some snippets here and there - I mean c'mon they knocked the pictures off her wall - I'm sure a bunch of it was cussin' and swearin' but in between you can get a sentence here and a sentence there.

Oh my god, really? I'm 100% certain if Zahra had them supplied and fitted in Australia, Medicare would have covered it ... can any of the other Aussies help with my understanding of that (i.e. confirm whether I'm right or wrong)? I'm sure it would be considered a basic medical requirement, not an 'extra' that would require private health insurance.

I wonder why she didn't have her aid's supplied while she was in Australia? It seems she received good medical care here and lots of community support for her illness.

There are other services that Medicare does not cover, including services such as; most dental services, ambulance services, home nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, podiatry, chiropractic, acupuncture (unless part of a doctor’s consultation), cosmetic surgery, hearing aids, glasses and contact lenses and prostheses.
http://www.locumotion.co.uk/working-in-Australia/Healthcare-system.asp

Her dad may have had private health care in Australia that would have covered it.

As to the landlord/neighbors that "never saw her" it is very possible that she was told not to be seen or heard by authority figure (SM) so the landlord would not know. I think they weren't honest on their application.

As to the school back and forth, we don't know what schedule of the landlords was, perhaps their work schedules had them out before time to get Zahra up for school.

We don't know what Zahra's attendance record was at that time period at school (if we do please someone correct me)

Lastly, Lastly, if SM was as abusive towards Zahra as reported and drugs were an issue, at 10 Zahra may hav ebeen expect, nay required, to get HERSELF off to school.

Indeed. Or the "parents" didn't care if she went or not, but *she* was desperate to get there.

Anyone remember the story about 3 years ago of a little boy, 6 or 7 years old, who crashed the family car driving himself to school one morning, and was found by responding police officers continuing towards school on foot? Initial reports only gave that info and the fact that he'd told police he'd missed the bus. I called it immediately (not on this forum): he was desperate to get to school because it was the only place he got food.

Sure enough within an hour or so, more detailed news reports were coming out. The police who'd responded said the little fellow resisted going with them at first, explaining that he needed to hurry to get to school before breakfast ended. After reassurance that they'd feed him at the police station, he went along . . . and ate ravenously. Parents? Well, dad (amazingly) was at work. Mom was "asleep and I couldn't wake her up" according to the little boy. Police presumably had a hard time rousing her too (she was still "asleep" when they arrived at the home), and it's mighty unlikely that ordinary "sleep" was the issue.

Given everything else we've heard about Zahra's mistreatment, and looking at EB's dramatic and presumably drug-related weight loss, I imagine that regular meals weren't a feature of Zahra's home life, and don't doubt for a second that she'd have been getting herself off to school in the mornings.

It has always been an inside joke that folks think deaf people are quiet.. The deaf and hard of hearing are LOUD.

My daughter is profoundly deaf (likely due to antibiotics when she had meningitis) and it was very normal or us to stomp on the floor to get her attention with vibration. That is how the deaf "hear" music too.

Oh and they call it "deaf time" for a good reason--- they have no sense of time.

Speaking as a parent of three children and a husband with selective hearing disorder I can say without question they are loud. ;)

:wave: Hi Emeral

Work is keeping me away sometimes, I saw your post the other morning and question about the father. Really I'm unsure about the father at the moment, he sounds criminally negligent at the least. I am glad to hear he's cooperating or seems to be with LE. I have no doubt LE will charge him with something, I'm unsure what at the moment.

Tsk, tsk. Letting work interfere with your WebSleuthing? :nono:

Does anyone have the video about Zahra talking about her hearing aids?

It's Saturday afternoon and I don't think the aussie press will be putting anything up today unless it is a major development. In which case you guys will know before we will.

Been pondering these updated offenses on the step moms court calender.

A former specialty of mine was real estate contract law and I can tell you that a rental with an option to purchase can be done but it's a prescription for disaster legally speaking if not done correctly.

Didn't early reports mention something about theft from an employer? Is my memory failing? Wasn't the ransom note directed at AB's employer, talking about who's in control now. I'm thinking SM got into a real estate dispute that was over her head. Which might have caused the bad check charges but I really can't find enough court info to confirm it. A day of reckoning was coming soon, later this month. I'd like to confirm. JMO May go to motive.

Offense Code Description Statute
2649 Misdemeanor FAIL RETN PROP RENTD PUR OPT 14-168.4

2636 Misdemeanor FRAUD DISPOSAL MORTGAGE PROP 14-114

Nosee, it doesn't look like Medicare covers hearing aids:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/claims/what-cover.jsp

Or the cost of prostheses! Yikes. Not such a great deal, then.

(For the non-Aussies, Medicare here is our government-supported medical system, like the NHS is the UK.)

Thanks Pudd - I was in the throws of checking the Medicare website but my Internet connection is soooo slow today (everything is taking so long to load).

I guess people may wonder why I'm interested in the financial side of things, I think it further confirms for me where Zahra was in the pecking order of family needs/priorities. Right now, it's evident she wasn't 'up there' in their list of things to do/things to buy. I'm sure these matters will be raised if there is a court case for crimes committed against her.

Pudd, it seems rather unfair that basic things like hearing aid's or a prosthetic isn't covered, I'm really surprised to be honest. I know a family that have a boy who received Cochlear implants free!

A former specialty of mine was real estate contract law and I can tell you that a rental with an option to purchase can be done but it's a prescription for disaster legally speaking if not done correctly.

Didn't early reports mention something about theft from an employer? Is my memory failing? Wasn't the ransom note directed at AB's employer, talking about who's in control now. I'm thinking SM got into a real estate dispute that was over her head. Which might have caused the bad check charges but I really can't find enough court info to confirm it. A day of reckoning was coming soon, later this month. I'd like to confirm. JMO May go to motive.

You have my attention....:twocents:

Looks like it could have been a situation where they were in a rent to own, left and rented it to someone else, pocketing the rent and no longer paying on their rent to own contract, and when the owner went to check on the property/try to collect rent, it had been stripped of appliances etc (and maybe worse, of copper pipes too).

Pudd, it seems rather unfair that basic things like hearing aid's or a prosthetic isn't covered, I'm really surprised to be honest. I know a family that have a boy who received Cochlear implants free!

Yes, and I think dental care should be covered by Medicare, too. Such a basic health need, a good set of teeth!

SOOOO blessed my son din't suffer any permanent damage from his bout with meninghitis.

Thanks for the insight on deaf children.

It's Saturday afternoon and I don't think the aussie press will be putting anything up today unless it is a major development. In which case you guys will know before we will.

That's so true, and our American friends will be going to bed soon, and we'll have to stew over this situation for another night! It's only 3pm here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven