NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Pudd - I was in the throws of checking the Medicare website but my Internet connection is soooo slow today (everything is taking so long to load).

I guess people may wonder why I'm interested in the financial side of things, I think it further confirms for me where Zahra was in the pecking order of family needs/priorities. Right now, it's evident she wasn't 'up there' in their list of things to do/things to buy. I'm sure these matters will be raised if there is a court case for crimes committed against her.

Pudd, it seems rather unfair that basic things like hearing aid's or a prosthetic isn't covered, I'm really surprised to be honest. I know a family that have a boy who received Cochlear implants free!

See there is the rub-- insurance almost never covers hearing aides but they do cover Cochlear implants.

Hi Peliman... Do you have her arrest record handy.... :D

Quoting myself here.... but I've played in realestate myself... Bought and resold house from sheriffs sales and such.... This would be a whole new angle to me.... TIA...:)

Yes, and I think dental care should be covered by Medicare, too. Such a basic health need, a good set of teeth!

You are so right. Particularly since folks of lower income tend to be put in a position to buy cheap (and less healthy) foods in order to have enough to go around.

The teeth suffer from that.

At one point my younger sis was very poor and had trouble keeping groceries in the house. She ende dup spending money a LOT at mcdonalds, because they had the dollar menu and it actually was cheaper and easier than buying groceries and trying to cook actual meals (or so she said). I promptly taught her what she need to know about living on a shoestring and still squeaking out healthy eats.

Yes, and I think dental care should be covered by Medicare, too. Such a basic health need, a good set of teeth!

I think we are talking about Medicaid here instead of Medicare. Medicaid helps families of low income while Medicare helps senior adults.

Medicaid does help with dental care, if you can find a Medicaid Dental Clinic. We have one here in our town and several people that I know have received cleanings, fillings, and x-rays....as well as having wisdom teeth removed.
I wonder if the Medicaid benefits vary from state to state? I'm not sure about that. But I do live in NC.

Looks like it could have been a situation where they were in a rent to own, left and rented it to someone else, pocketing the rent and no longer paying on their rent to own contract, and when the owner went to check on the property/try to collect rent, it had been stripped of appliances etc (and maybe worse, of copper pipes too).

If it was a mobile home, she could have sold it before exercising her option to purchase, then kept the money. I see nothing about an existing purchase agreement. She first has to exercise her option to purchase and pay for it first.
I also can't see if she had first rights of refusal.

Hi Peliman... Do you have her arrest record handy.... :D

Hi frogin, let me know if this link works. k if not I'll get you there.

http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/cal...,elisa&start=0&navindex=0&submit=Submit+Query

SOOOO blessed my son din't suffer any permanent damage from his bout with meninghitis.

Thanks for the insight on deaf children.

I'm glad for your son.. meningitis is nasty-

My daughters was bacterial, and while we can never be 100% sure what caused the deafness, we have always been pretty sure it was the antibiotic, since her hearing didn't go all at once.

I think we are talking about Medicaid here instead of Medicare. Medicaid helps families of low income while Medicare helps senior adults.

Medicaid does help with dental care, if you can find a Medicaid Dental Clinic. We have one here in our town and several people that I know have received cleanings, fillings, and x-rays....as well as having wisdom teeth removed.
I wonder if the Medicaid benefits vary from state to state? I'm not sure about that. But I do live in NC.

You are right both they are both usually governed by the same agency - Health and family services or "public aid"

ETA Okay, nevermind, I thought we wer talking about US government healthcare system

We are talking about the public health system in Aussie. It's called Medicare.

Right - I'm in Australia and Medicare here is our government-funded health system. It's not the same thing as the US Medicare/Medicaid:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_Australia[/ame]

Every so often there is talk of us moving to a more US-style healthcare system, which scares the living daylights out of me!

That's so true, and our American friends will be going to bed soon, and we'll have to stew over this situation for another night! It's only 3pm here....

OT: I know----you must be south of me - time difference, did that arctic change arrive?

I'm pretty sure Zahra qualified for Medicaid. Children diagnosed with disabilities pretty much automatically qualify for Medicaid, but it's based on parents' income as you said. My daughter was on Medicaid for several years, until they stopped it because of my husband's income amount.

Someone posted earlier that "Medicare" is the name of the Australian national health care program (i.e. comparable to the NHS in the UK, covering "cradle to grave").

OT: I know----you must be south of me - time difference, did that arctic change arrive?

Yes, Melbourne - -freezing my *advertiser censored* off down here! Just like mid Winter all over again. :(

Hearing aids can be resold for cash (to buy drugs/booze with); cochlear implants can't.

I guess that could be possible but in 23 years I've never seen hearing aides resold- they are normally refurbished or donated- never seen them sold on the street.

(Cochlear implants include over the hear aides along with the magnetic transmitter)

Someone posted earlier that "Medicare" is the name of the Australian national health care program (i.e. comparable to the NHS in the UK, covering "cradle to grave").

I see...sorry for the confusion. I've been playing "catch-up" for a couple days and have skipped some pages along the way....so I missed that you guys were talking about Australia health care.

These threads have been steam-rolling...but its wonderful that so many people are interested in this case and finding Zahra. I hope its soon...

IMO the attic could have been used for a small "grow room" where they could have been growing marijuana and a reason for taking the door off is that the room could have been overheating due to lights....also, fans blowing around and stuff could make sounds like rodents I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member