NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take WBTV.. I am studiously avoiding homework and studying for a midterm. :)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/13/north.carolina.missing.girl/?hpt=T2

Flanked by two attorneys, Elisa Baker, Zahra's stepmother, wore a bright pink jumpsuit and was handcuffed and chained at her wrist and ankles at her court appearance Wednesday. She was informed of the felony charge against her, which carries a penalty of more than two years in prison upon conviction. Asked if she understood, she replied she did in a low voice.

The bond on this charge is $40,000, in addition to the bond of more than $30,000 she faces on charges unrelated to Zahra's disappearance. Her attorney, Scott Reilly, said he would be filing a motion to get the obstruction of justice charge reduced, calling it "excessive." She is next scheduled to have a probable cause hearing on November 3.

BBM

Bet she didn't feel to "goth" in that.

Where are you, Sweetheart?? We are holding you close to our hearts right now dear Zahra. Please feel our collective love and admiration of your sweet, spunky, precious personality. You are a treasure, love!!!

Thanks to the locals who will be watching and recapping the local news for us.

Y'all are appreciated.

Per WSOC-TV
Reporting on court appearance..showing video in court. Says she is not co-operating. Her attorney saying she is scared. DA says they think they will solve this case. As far as search....called off right now. Father was involved in search and "just working" with police. Vigil tonight.

Yes, I'm trying to avoid being graphic but I hope they have a good comparison (which they should have.) Hair brush or some personal item.

If bio mom cooperates they can also collect DNA from family if necessary. I don't see needing to do that happening, but it is an option if they can't get a good sample off a hair brush etc.

WCNC...noon newscast....

SM appeared in court today on charges related to disappearance of Zahra. She faced judge for felony obstruction of justice charge (ransom note/lied about it to investigators). Judge set bond at $40k. Scott Reilly, her atty says she is very emotional, very upset. (puke) DA says case will be high priority for the DA's office when investigators solve this case.

Burke Co sheriff's office searched til about 1:00 am on the woodchipper site. They are no longer searching there and search has moved back to Hickory. LE will not confirm where or even if search is continuing in Hickory.

Candlelight vigil tonight at 6:30 at East Hickory Baptist Church.

That was all :/

Also from the above link^^^^^

"North Carolina social services officials declined to comment on the case. "

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'll bet, we had a case here recently where a child was found dead by her mother 2 DAYS after her death, she had been starved, health visitors messed up, people knew but didn't act and again we have a step parent in the mix (no disrespect to an step parents here, I am aware that most care for their partners children as if they were their own)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/feb/06/child-neglect-adrian-levy-cathy-scott-clark

Bringing post over from closed thread:

Good morning everyone!

I've had a couple of our members contact me about the blanket comments regarding child welfare services. They are very dedicated to their cases and it pains them to see our negative comments about all of their peers. Also, I have a friend in my county who works for child welfare services and happen to know she is also very dedicated and that in our county, the response to calls is taken very seriously. They will contact the child alone and make a surprise visit to the home.

So please bear in mind that the system isn't messed up everywhere. Years and years ago it definitely was an issue, but I really do think many of the cracks have been filled. We need to support those people trying to help the thousands of kids who are still being abused out there, not tear them down.

Thank you guys for looking at it both ways. But in this case, I do agree that I'd like to know more about what happened with the social services that were called??? Yet, I don't blame all social services as a whole in the LEAST!

Meeting with attorney Scott Riley now...
Soft spoken to the judge and asked no questions..( whatever)
DA says any case involving a child is a priority.
Attorney says she is upset and misses being with her family... ( ok yeah whatever again)
Wow was that 45 secs or whole minute...
Sorry
that's all we got here on WBTV.
Nothing new on the search or findings

If bio mom cooperates they can also collect DNA from family if necessary. I don't see needing to do that happening, but it is an option if they can't get a good sample off a hair brush etc.

with the extensive medical history she has there maybe a lab sample somewhere in her homeland (to compare cell changes if it recurs?)... but yes they have biomom and biodad they can come to a dna profile without a toothbrush or hairbrush if they have to

We have talked about prayers for the LE in this case.

I'm also praying for SM's attorney. I can't imagine being in his position.

Me either. I think I'd have to resist the urge to take a long, hot shower just having to be in the same room with her.

Brittany Bentley, who is married to Elisa Baker's nephew, told HLN that the girl "wasn't in very good living conditions, not at all for a 10-year-old."

"I remember Elisa coming out of the bedroom one day, saying her hands hurt from spanking Zahra so much," she said. "I know she spanked way too hard, what I consider beating." She said the girl was locked in her room and "I know about letting her out five minutes, just to eat and that was it."

Flanked by two attorneys, Elisa Baker, Zahra's stepmother, wore a bright pink jumpsuit and was handcuffed and chained at her wrist and ankles at her court appearance Wednesday. She was informed of the felony charge against her, which carries a penalty of more than two years in prison upon conviction. Asked if she understood, she replied she did in a low voice.

The bond on this charge is $40,000, in addition to the bond of more than $30,000 she faces on charges unrelated to Zahra's disappearance. Her attorney, Scott Reilly, said he would be filing a motion to get the obstruction of justice charge reduced, calling it "excessive." She is next scheduled to have a probable cause hearing on November 3.

Two attorneys already? Wow, just...there are no words. And I am NOT liking this Scott Riley attorney already. EXCESSIVE? My blood is BOILING right now!

I am giggling at her in a pink jumpsuit, though. OMG, she must HATE THAT! And I hope you're scared, you ! You should be!

We have talked about prayers for the LE in this case.

I'm also praying for SM's attorney. I can't imagine being in his position.

He has to make sure SM's Constitutional rights aren't violated. 'Cause if they are, she will walk and none of us want that to happen. I'm sure that's one position he really doesn't want to be in. moo mho

Thank you, Lori and Pebbles. Looks none of the three stations had anything new, unfortunately. Maybe big4 will be able to report what her local source has told her soon (hoping!).

Meeting with attorney Scott Riley now...
Soft spoken to the judge and asked no questions..( whatever)
DA says any case involving a child is a priority.
Attorney says she is upset and misses being with her family... ( ok yeah whatever again)
Wow was that 45 secs or whole minute...
Sorry
that's all we got here on WBTV.
Nothing new on the search or findings

Misses being with her family - she means Adam, right? There isn't anyone else left!

Bringing post over from closed thread:

With CPS in this case I would also point to the repeated moves we have have seen in this families history. Bentley didn't even know they had moved. I would not be surprised to see a pattern where when confronted by neighbors or CPS calls were made they moved again.

CPS may not have ever seen her with visible bruises, and when they did talk to her she unfortunately told them nothing (who knows what she had been told about the USA child workers and what would happen to her, ie she would never see her family again).

with the extensive medical history she has there maybe a lab sample somewhere in her homeland (to compare cell changes if it recurs?)... but yes they have biomom and biodad they can come to a dna profile without a toothbrush or hairbrush if they have to

They took toothbrushes/hairbrush from the house. It was on the search warrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500