NCAA Sanctions: "DP" for Penn Football, or...?

Should the NCAA give Penn State the "death penalty"?

• Total voters
I think that something should be clear here. When Freeh reported, he did so for information. The BoT neither accepted, rejected, or took any action, on the report and none was required.

While this is correct, one could argue that the board tacitly accepted the report when Peetz stated at the press conference following the release of the report that the board "accepts full responsibility for the failures that occurred."

Or when they accepted the NCAA sanctions that were based solely on that report.

Or in releasing the report to the public without rebuttal or correction. Remember that the Freeh report was designed as an internal review. By allowing that internal review to become a public document without adding any response or counter, the report can be seen as speaking for the University.

It is true that no formal action was taken, but in refusing to revisit the report, it is clear that they accepted it by default.

While this is correct, one could argue that the board tacitly accepted the report when Peetz stated at the press conference following the release of the report that the board "accepts full responsibility for the failures that occurred."

Or when they accepted the NCAA sanctions that were based solely on that report.

Or in releasing the report to the public without rebuttal or correction. Remember that the Freeh report was designed as an internal review. By allowing that internal review to become a public document without adding any response or counter, the report can be seen as speaking for the University.

It is true that no formal action was taken, but in refusing to revisit the report, it is clear that they accepted it by default.

The report itself in nothing other than the result of an internal investigation, which may or may not be complete. The NCAA thought it was complete enough to a sufficient internal investigation.

The report itself in nothing other than the result of an internal investigation, which may or may not be complete. The NCAA thought it was complete enough to a sufficient internal investigation.

At a cost of over $8 million, let's hope it's complete.:groucho:

Judges to consider fate of Jake Corman NCAA lawsuit

HARRISBURG — The NCAA already has one court victory over Pennsylvania, and a lawyer for college sports’ governing body argued Wednesday that the lawsuit brought by a local senator has too many flaws and should be tossed out.

Lawyers for the NCAA and state Sen. Jake Corman went before the judges from the state’s Commonwealth Court for oral arguments on the lawsuit that seeks to keep in Pennsylvania the whole $60 million fine Penn State is paying for the Jerry Sandusky scandal..........

Pellegrini, the president judge of the court, and Judge Bonnie Leadbetter questioned Haverstick why the suit didn’t take aim at Penn State instead of the NCAA.

“You’re making the perfect arguments why Penn State is an indispensable party,” said Pellegrini, using a legal term that refers to a group not in a lawsuit that is essential in the litigation. “Isn’t your complaint really with Penn State?”........

One of the seven justices who heard the arguments was Renee Cohn Jubelirer, the wife of former state Sen. Bob Jubelirer, and they both live in Boalsburg. Her husband ran for a seat on Penn State’s board of trustees earlier this year.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2013/06/20/3659076/judges-to-consider-fate-of-jake.html#storylink=cpy

Oh, oh, a University of Pitt graduate may not bode well for the Paternos!

He also has rather extensive experience in juvenile issues, having written an article on it. He seems rather scholarly (that's a good thing). He actually has worked with groups to prevent children's suicides.

There is nothing in his background that would would point to a favorable bias toward the Paternos, or to the NCAA, for that matter.

I'm just wondering what all those commentators that made nasty comments about Pitt will say now.

For Penn State, Mark Emmert and the NCAA, divergent paths following Draconian sanctions: Who really prevailed?

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/07/for_penn_state_mark_emmert_and.html

Yet, the farther Penn State and its football team move away from that stunning summer morning a year ago now, another interesting, even provocative, question emerges:

Who was sullied more by those heavy sanctions and their handling?

Penn State and its related constituencies? Or the NCAA and its president, Mark Emmert?

Kovacevic: Cut Penn State’s sanctions? Sure, for right reasons

........Because of that, and, infinitely more important, because of concrete action the university and O'Brien have taken to address child abuse, I hope the NCAA considers reducing its sanctions on the football program.

Really, I do.

But there's a catch: It's got to be the university and O'Brien leading the charge.

Not the Paterno wackos.

Excuse the brusque term. It's not meant to be broad. Rather, it isolates on the small, radical but strangely influential wing of alumni who prioritize the exoneration of Joe Paterno over, you know, serial child rape.

They can't be allowed to prevail here. .........

That's all the lawsuit is about. It's got nothing to do with football or current or future athletes, and absolutely nothing to do with, you know, serial child rape. The naive thinking is that, if the NCAA loses, the Freeh Report is discredited, Paterno's statue comes out of storage, and it's a Happy Valley all over again.

The good part: It won't win. ...........

O'Brien didn't indicate if/when Penn State might approach the NCAA, but he stressed it would be through discussion, not legal action. He expressed hope the NCAA could “meet us halfway.” Maybe it will happen soon. Tuesday marks the one-year anniversary of the sanctions.

Here's hoping that works out to the satisfaction of all.

But here's also hoping O'Brien continues to keep the Paterno wackos at arm's length, as their public image only deteriorates by the day. ........

In this extraordinary interview — and who knows why Framingpaterno.com put it out? — Paterno acknowledges McQueary told him he saw “touching ... whatever you want to call them, privates.” Paterno uses the term “sexual” four times in reference to what McQueary described.

Paterno's lone defense for staying silent for a decade: “I have no authority over Jerry.”

There's more, all damning.

Asked if he'd ever heard back from those superiors as to what action had been taken on Sandusky, Paterno replied: “No, no, I didn't. I had other things to do. We had ... as I said, Jerry was not working for me.”

That's a smoking gun no one should have to pick up.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankov...77726-74/paterno-brien-sandusky#ixzz2Zt0W2J6S

Some of the sanctions are being eased, for compliance with the Freeh recommendations. NCAA will be slowly increasing the scholarships.

http://www.centredaily.com/2013/09/24/3804708/breaking-penn-state-trustee-says.html

NCAA letter: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...+to+gradually+restore+penn+state+scholarships

Good. This was a criminal matter to begin with and the shower incident which occurred on campus was the charge the evil monster was found not guilty of. The NCAA had no right to step in here. It is not fair to punish players and coaches that had nothing to do with this over the disgusting acts of one individual possibly covered up by two others. I believe i read a state attorney came out with a statement that joe paterno didn't cover anything up.. Will have to go find link so i can get the exact quote.

Good. This was a criminal matter to begin with and the shower incident which occurred on campus was the charge the evil monster was found not guilty of. The NCAA had no right to step in here. It is not fair to punish players and coaches that had nothing to do with this over the disgusting acts of one individual possibly covered up by two others. I believe i read a state attorney came out with a statement that joe paterno didn't cover anything up.. Will have to go find link so i can get the exact quote.

Even if you find it, so what? The university's own report says otherwise. The NCAA is restoring the scholarships because the university complied with Freeh's recommendations. That's what happens when you move on rather than dwell on the past. If the NCAA had investigated, the investigation would still be going on, with no guarantee what the results would be. Even worse, if the university had fought the NCAA, this scandal could have dragged on for years and years.

But I have no illusions; the Joebots will never give the current PSU administration credit for guiding the university through a difficult time, even though the restoration of scholarships and the hiring of Bill O'Brien are evidence that they have done much to clean up the mess left by Paterno and company.

JMO

First, as a matter of fact, Sandusky was found guilty of various criminal act in regard to Victims 2 and 6 on campus.

Second, the NCAA or any private organization has every right to step in and sanction a member for alleged criminal acts, in general. That has been established for at least 120 years. They are not required to, but they may. Even if the NCAA Constitution was silent, which it is not, they have that ability.

Even if you find it, so what? The university's own report says otherwise. The NCAA is restoring the scholarships because the university complied with Freeh's recommendations. That's what happens when you move on rather than dwell on the past. If the NCAA had investigated, the investigation would still be going on, with no guarantee what the results would be. Even worse, if the university had fought the NCAA, this scandal could have dragged on for years and years.

But I have no illusions; the Joebots will never give the current PSU administration credit for guiding the university through a difficult time, even though the restoration of scholarships and the hiring of Bill O'Brien are evidence that they have done much to clean up the mess left by Paterno and company.

JMO

FYI, i'm not a "Joebot"

First, as a matter of fact, Sandusky was found guilty of various criminal act in regard to Victims 2 and 6 on campus.

Second, the NCAA or any private organization has every right to step in and sanction a member for alleged criminal acts, in general. That has been established for at least 120 years. They are not required to, but they may. Even if the NCAA Constitution was silent, which it is not, they have that ability.

thanks for the info regarding the NCAA. i think i have been watching too much ESPN lately which as we all know picks and chooses how the feel about the NCAA and their powers on any given day. I appreciate the info.

It appears Jake Corman will not be allowed to sue the NCAA in regards to the Endowment Act.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back