ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully LE has interviewed all the baseball players.

Tom tweeted he was bored on Friday night. Maybe not the exciting college life he was expecting so he thought drinking was the only viable option?

Sartell teammate joins search for missing NDSU student

When he heard his close friend Thomas Bearson was missing, Pat Fischer did what any friend would do: drop everything and join the search.

After hearing about Bearson's disappearance Sunday, Fischer said he headed to Fargo to search for him. Fischer said he and other friends drove around Fargo until about 4 a.m. Monday, searching for people who might have seen Bearson.

He said Bearson was last seen wearing a blue and white Sartell track and field t-shirt.
http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/l...earson-sartell-ndsu-missing-student/16055001/

Police in Fargo are taking charge of the investigation
Lt. Joel Vettel tells KFGO-AM officers will conduct an extensive search of the neighborhoods around the campus. Firefighters will also search the Red River for signs of Bearson.
Police say Bearson is 6 foot 1 inch tall, weighs 155 pounds and has blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a baseball cap, a blue Sartell Track and Field shirt and khaki pants.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3568150.shtml?cat=

Just over a week ago and not far from his dorm, Bearson was arrested for driving under the influence and minor in possession.
Early Sept. 12, an officer pulled Bearson over for driving west in an eastbound lane in the 1700 block of 15th Avenue North, a few blocks from Reed Hall, according to court papers.
A breath test found that Bearson's blood-alcohol level was 0.18 percent. He failed one field sobriety test, and because of his poor balance at the time, two others were not given for safety reasons, court papers said.
He pleaded guilty to both misdemeanors later that day and was ordered to pay $1,075, serve 36 hours of community service and receive a chemical dependency evaluation, court papers said.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/update-methodical-search-expanded-missing-ndsu-student

Of course we don't know if he was drinking at his friend's house, but if he was, he probably got a ride to his friend's house due to this previous incident.

If he ended up in "the river" then he won't be found until the spring. The smileyface river occurrences that have been going on across a good stretch of the country have been so mishandled by police and downplayed by them and the media both, it's awful.

Hopefully this case has absolutely nothing to do with all of that, though and hopefully they'll find him in another day or two.

So glad to see a thread up for Tom. I must say he is a very attractive fella. I don't have a good feeling about this case though :(
I'm not familiar with "the river" talk that you have all mentioned - What is this about? Also, is this far from Collin Gillis? I'm an Aussie so don't mind me :blushing: TIA :)

http://ndsuspectrum.com/breaking-ndsu-student-missing/

Says he was seen on video...where???

How far away from campus was this party?

Such little information.

I read somewhere as I am local to the area that the gentlemen who held the press conference mis-spoke on having video. If you folks would like I can try harder to find the source but I know I saw it last evening. quote from article below: "Authorities at NDSU are checking surveillance video from some of their campus buildings, but say there is no confirmation that Bearson appears on any of those videos. Due to the amount of resources available, the NDSU Police Department has turned the investigation over to Fargo Police. "

*edit: being the lurker I am I know sources are gold so here is the local news paper article where it mentions no video evidence having been confirmed http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26589710/ndsu-needs-your-help-in-locating-a-missing-student

FruitTingles: I pm'd you some links about the river killings and such as to not derail this conversation.

They mention in the article I posted above about him getting a DUI. I read elsewhere in the thread that he was supposed to get a ride back to Sartell, MN and never showed. Did he get the DUI in his own vehicle? Did he even have a vehicle up there and has that been located?

I agree that there is not a lot of information being released about this young man. I do feel the recent DUI to be a bit relevant possibly to his recent state of mind though.

Anyone have any information on how a DUI would affect his Nursing degree? Getting into a nursing program was not a walk in the park when I was younger, especially in a university setting with a ba.

I am trying to figure out how his state of mind was in the weeks following his DUI and any kind of news he may have received with his recent change in life.

edit: You may see the direction I am going with this initially, but I feel all leaves should be turned over.

Anyone have any information on how a DUI would affect his Nursing degree? Getting into a nursing program was not a walk in the park when I was younger, especially in a university setting with a ba.

I am trying to figure out how his state of mind was in the weeks following his DUI and any kind of news he may have received with his recent change in life.

edit: You may see the direction I am going with this initially, but I feel all leaves should be turned over.
I am ashamed to say that I have some experience with this. 25 years ago, I got a DUI while already a nurse. At the time, I had a lot of explaining to do to the Board of Nursing but I didn't receive any punishment from them. I never got into any trouble again. Now that was a long time ago and I do think one wouldn't get off so easy now. He could still pursue nursing but would likely have to agree to some sort of treatment and stay out of additional trouble.

http://www.parkrapidsenterprise.com/content/methodical-search-expanded-missing-ndsu-student-0

Bearson was last seen about 3:40 a.m. Saturday in the 800 block of 14th Street North, Vettel said. He said police and firefighters were conducting a “methodical” grid-style search Monday from that area toward campus – where Bearson, a nursing student, lived in Reed Hall dormitory.

The area where Bearson was last seen is about six blocks south of his dorm. It was searched previously, but Monday’s canvassing marked the beginning of a more in-depth search, Vettel said.

"They tried to call him, but he didn’t answer his phone, Moryn said. Moryn was not in this group, but his roommate was."

I'm interested to see if his phone rang or if it went directly to voice mail. (I read in a post somewhere that his parents said he was having troubles keeping his phone charged which is concerning)

If he ended up in "the river" then he won't be found until the spring. The smileyface river occurrences that have been going on across a good stretch of the country have been so mishandled by police and downplayed by them and the media both, it's awful.

Hopefully this case has absolutely nothing to do with all of that, though and hopefully they'll find him in another day or two.

In this area they are a long, long way from freeze up. He SHOULD be found in the next few days if the searching party hasn't already made up their mind otherwise.

My experience has been that stubbornness and preconceived notions hinder the search more than anything.

Patrick Kycia was found IIRC within 4 days.

You are wise to not rule anything out. Whenever someone is missing, all possibilities need to be considered.

I also think all the people in the circle need to be looked at with another set of lenses. I've been reading through all these tweets and I find it odd that one individual in that little group hasn't expressed any concern over Tom's whereabouts.

Now, maybe that's because he doesn't have a cell phone. Maybe it's because he doesn't have a twitter account. Maybe he's of a religious belief against the internet.

In my experience people who know where something is, don't ask where it is.

If you know where your car keys are you don't go around the house asking other people, "Where are my car keys?"

Yesterday the weather was absolutely beautiful in Fargo. So here's where we are at.

1). He's still missing and the people closest to him state not knowing where he is.

2). The weather is not an obstacle in his return.

3). Barring any physical injury he should be able to reach someone to help him in some sort of location in this weather. Fargo is not in the remote reaches of a mountain range, it's flat ground and he should be able to walk from one border to the next.

4). We know his last location.

5). We do not know how mentally impaired the witness were due to possible intoxication from unknown substances. Therefore the preciseness of the information leaves room for interpretation.

6). The witness stating Tom was at that house also admits this was the first time he met him.

What else can we add to this list?

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/l...earson-sartell-ndsu-missing-student/16055001/

Fischer, 20, who now plays basketball at Bemidji State University, was a year older than Bearson. He said the two are very close.

Fischer said he can't imagine Bearson would hide from public view — especially now, in light of the concern surrounding his disappearance. "I know Tom. If he had communication at all, he would try to reach out to someone," Fischer said. "He's a really good guy. It kind of just blows my mind that he's gone like this."

After hearing about Bearson's disappearance Sunday, Fischer said he headed straight to Fargo to search for him. Fischer said he and other friends drove around Fargo until about 4 a.m. Monday, seeking people who might have seen or heard from Bearson.

I'll just add this in now so later I can say, "I told you so."

If and when they find this poor young man in the river the LE is going to say, "Drunk and confused he fell in the river."

I'll reserve my nine page dissertation for that time.

Speaking of...

http://www.twincities.com/localnews...nd-search-missing-ndsu-student-from-minnesota

Firefighters also began a cursory search of the Red River on Monday afternoon, though there's no evidence to connect Bearson to the river -- which is more than a mile to the east of campus.

"That's just based on the lack of information we have," Vettel said of the river search.

About 6 p.m., police said via social media that authorities had concluded a search of the river from 35th Avenue South to 12th Avenue North.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member