NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

Death penalty phase to be on 10-28. This per coverage on KMTV.

The Mottas are saying they plan a vigorous appeal and will ask for a new trial.

What else are they going to say?

Hearing the defense attorney say it's "devastating." Dude, you know what's devastating....the violent deaths of those innocent people!

Motta thinks he'll get a new trial. I don't think so. These people sicken me.

Hearing the defense attorney say it's "devastating." Dude, you know what's devastating....the violent deaths of those innocent people!

Motta thinks he'll get a new trial. I don't think so. These people sicken me.

My feelings exactly. I got modded a year or so back for an allegedly 'derogatory' comment I made about them. I won't repeat it here but it was deserved IMO. This whole circus was just a lot of free advertising for their criminal practice. Garcia was entitled to a vigorous defense but these people made a mockery of their profession.

My feelings exactly. I got modded a year or so back for an allegedly 'derogatory' comment I made about them. I won't repeat it here but it was deserved IMO. This whole circus was just a lot of free advertising for their criminal practice. Garcia was entitled to a vigorous defense but these people made a mockery of their profession.

You are absolutely right, Snick: Motta had the audacity to say, outside the courtroom after the verdict, that he expects their phones will be ringing with calls from defendants who will want to be represented by them... unbelievable!!!!

Gosh, I can't believe I never looked for a thread for this case on WS!
My mom lives right around the corner from the Hunter home and she and the rest of my family were gobsmacked when this happened.

I need to go back to the beginning and read up.

You are absolutely right, Snick: Motta had the audacity to say, outside the courtroom after the verdict, that he expects their phones will be ringing with calls from defendants who will want to be represented by them... unbelievable!!!!

Yeah let's wait and see how hard they follow up on the appeal. I expect them to file several but would bet it will all just be window dressing.AG would have been better served by having competent local representation; someone who knows the prosecutors and Judaical people and could have worked out behind the scenes for a possible plea deal. That may at least have saved him from the death penalty. These people only cared about self promotion.

Bravo! I'm glad the jury got it right. It was cut and dried guilty verdict. There was just too much evidence against him.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/gar...cle_1a0ce7a8-9b98-11e6-a544-5b3e22f692d7.html

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the post verdict reaction here has been the numbers of people who seem to think Garcia was targeted as a patsy for being Hispanic. Then of course there are those who have referred to him as a 'wetback', that sort of thing. Some of this is to be expected. I have to wonder if the Mottas plan to exploit this angle in their appeal. My take is that Garcia's ethnicity had no bearing on any of this. I felt a lot of sympathy for his family and I think a lot of others did so as well. I sense that after sitting through the testimony in court they were shaken by proof of what he apparently did.

My opinion of the Mottas is not anything I ought to post on here. Note the account in the linked article about Motta jr taunting the prosecution team . I have to wonder if he or his family now regret taking them on.

Anthony Garcia may never face the death penalty, depending on what happens on election day.

Nebraska does not currently have a death penalty.

The Nebraska legislature ended it last year by over riding the governor's veto. Most of the legislatures had ran for their seats telling the people that they were in favor of the death penalty.

The public is pretty upset and the issue is on this Tuesday's ballot as to whether we will repeal that law and bring back the death penalty.

We have some really horrible murderers currently on death row and I don't believe Anthony Garcia would be the worst.

This case is featured in this week's People magazine.
I always find it weird to read about these cases here and them see them featured in a magazine.

There's going to be a Dateline episode about this case.
Never heard of it before -- am going to read past posts and links.
So sad !

I had dinner the other night with a medical professional who worked with Garcia during his time in Terre Haute at the federal prison.

Easy to see why this guy kept losing residencies. He was Googling (literally using Google) to decide on appropriate antibiotic treatment for an inmate's infection.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back