New Mackenzie Phillips Book Reveals Sexual Relationship With Her Father

A lot of these celebrities lead really sick lives.

I think over 75% of these young talented stars turn out really messed up.

No way would I print that sort of stuff.

I am shocked at what people put in books, anymore.

That so called friend of John Edwards' is getting ready to write a tell all.

Good grief. It is all for book sales.

I wonder the same thing - is this really true?

MP hasn't been relevant in Hollywood for years, and now she's headlining Oprah and will probably be enjoying extensive media coverage during the next few weeks. She writes something outrageous about her father, and now she's famous again....how nice. Maybe it happened, but I somehow doubt it.

I wonder if Oprah was able to verify the story in some way, or did she buy it hook, line, and sinker? Oprah has already been hoodwinked by one writer, so I hope she did some diligent fact-checking before allowing MP set foot on her stage. Can this story even be verified? Probably not....maybe that's what both women are counting on.

The whole thing is disgusting.

IMO

Her half sister Chyna says she believes her. She told her the story about their Dad before the book came out so that's a little bit of credibility added.

I don't doubt it at all and wonder why it's so hard to believe!

Oh, and good morning all you blurry eyed cherubs just waking up to the fact that MICK JAGGER IS CREEPY! LOL.

I feel for her son through all this - not an easy thing to hear about your grandpa and mom.

Why write a tell-all now? I agree with WhyaDuck this can't be easy for your child much less the fact all his friends now know. I also can't get over the fact the "relationship" continued for 10 years. You may have been high and drunk (passed out) one night but come on... 10 years!!! Ewww!!!

Now before someone yells at me. I do feel sorry for her because, as a child, she never had a chance but .... dang just dang!

I speculate that this has to do with being a recovering addict and needing to "tell the truth" which is stressed in recovery programs. I can kind of see how it would be a good cleansing of the soul, plus let everyone see - here it is - now you know why I'm a drug addict and all effed. up!

It's gross and it's creepy, but if it's true, then why should she have to keep it a secret if the secret is killing her?

Chynna Phillips said MacKenzie told her about her affair with her father in 1997 and Chynna seems to think this is a valid claim: http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/09/78949/

I read the article. Chynna believes no one would say something so terrible unless it were true. Well then... I'm sure it must be true. Who can doubt that flawless logic? Geez, talk about a messed up family.

IMO

I wonder the same thing - is this really true?

MP hasn't been relevant in Hollywood for years, and now she's headlining Oprah and will probably be enjoying extensive media coverage during the next few weeks. She writes something outrageous about her father, and now she's famous again....how nice. Maybe it happened, but I somehow doubt it.

I wonder if Oprah was able to verify the story in some way, or did she buy it hook, line, and sinker? Oprah has already been hoodwinked by one writer, so I hope she did some diligent fact-checking before allowing MP set foot on her stage. Can this story even be verified? Probably not....maybe that's what both women are counting on.

The whole thing is disgusting.

IMO

I may be skewered for saying this, but something strikes me as off about this story as well. On CNN yesterday, there was a tag line that Mackenzie Phillips would be "revealing a huge secret" the next day. Today is when that "secret" was revealed. I guess that tag line was publicized all over the place. It seemed like a hook to try to gain national attention. If her goal is to unburden herself and gain awareness about consensual incest and/or the victimization of adult children by their parents, then why the big lead up? Why not just come out with the story, perhaps in a supportive forum or a more serious one than Oprah?
No one has heard anything about this lady for years. She has no work, etc.. She is in great need of money, from what I can tell.
Last time I heard of her, I believe she was found breaking into someone's house and running around on the street, in people's yards, acting crazy. Clearly she suffers from a mental illness and/or serious addiction. And while it may be true that her childhood or a traumatic event contributed to her condition, it could also be true that she is just genetically predisposed to drug addiction and/or mental illness. I'm cautious about questioning the stories of people who claim they have been sexually victimized but I am also cautious about believing stories that hurt an entire family and sully the name of a person not here to defend himself when it appears that the person doing the telling has a lot to gain financially, from the telling and whose reality may have been distorted by drugs and/or mental problems. Just the feeling I currently have and no disrespect is meant.

I speculate that this has to do with being a recovering addict and needing to "tell the truth" which is stressed in recovery programs. I can kind of see how it would be a good cleansing of the soul, plus let everyone see - here it is - now you know why I'm a drug addict and all effed. up!

It's gross and it's creepy, but if it's true, then why should she have to keep it a secret if the secret is killing her?

That's what AA and therapy is for.

She had an abortion... might have been dad's baby. :( Can this get any more awful? :(

I read the article. Chynna believes no one would say something so terrible unless it were true. Well then... I'm sure it must be true. Who can doubt that flawless logic? Geez, talk about a messed up family.

IMO

I vaguely remember an article years ago where Michelle Phillips said something about Chynna once walking in on her father and witnessing something horrible, which she would not specify. Seeing your sister having sex with your father would be pretty horrifying.

ETA: I see that her son is now around age 20. Maybe that's why she waited, so that he was old enough to handle the publicity surrounding the book. Makes me think of Valerie Bertinelli's book she wrote and her son was still a teen and going on tour with dad. That made me uncomfortable thinking what her son must feel.

Just because you don't like what someone is telling you is no reason to say "Oh, she must be lying!"

I think we all know that father/daughter incest is not all that uncommon. What is uncommon is for the daughter to voluntarily participate in it for 10 years as a legal adult.

And weren't there claims about David Carradine having an "inappropriate realationship" with a "close family member"? Does anybody think that would be his niece or his cousin?

I think MacKenzie is most likely telling the truth, but I do question her making it public in a book.

I don't think anyone is really saying she must be lying because what she is saying is horrible or because they don't like what she is saying.

There is a novel called The Kiss by an author who had an adult incestuous relationship with her father, although they met when she was an adult. I think this was mentioned in a thread where Genetic Sexual Attracion was discussed.

I tried to find that article I mentioned, but the search terms for that family bring up too many articles. I really do recall wondering what in the world could be SO horrific in John Phillips life (because I'm assuming Chynna knew he did drugs) that Michelle Phillips could not even describe it.

Any way you look at this, she deserves compassion...jmo.

I do not know if she is telling the truth or not about the 10 year 'relationship' with her dad. I just am uneasy with her making these accusations after her dad is dead and cannot speak for himself. Why does she feel it necessary 'to tell the world' in order to heal? This revelation is sure to devastate the family and loved ones of both of them.

However, this is sure to sell a great many copies of her book. How many of us (or the public in general) would have noticed that MP had even written a book, if not for the shock value of this incident?

I do not know if she is telling the truth or not about the 10 year 'relationship' with her dad. I just am uneasy with her making these accusations after her dad is dead and cannot speak for himself. Why does she feel it necessary 'to tell the world' in order to heal? This revelation is sure to devastate the family and loved ones of both of them.

However, this is sure to sell a great many copies of her book. How many of us (or the public in general) whould have noticed that MP had even written a book, if not for the shock value of this incident?

I understand your point although i do not know if it is suspicious for an incest survivor to wait until the other person is dead to feel safe enough to unburden themselves. I also wonder if you can consider a soul as stunted as hers to be a "consenting adult" given her mental illness and drug addictions...I think the balance of power between a parent and child does not change much even when the child is biologically an adult. Woody Allen and his wife spring to mind for me-I get that she was not an offspring but the relationship between them ended any fondness I had for Woody. JMO. In the case of Mackenzie, I do not know but if her loved ones are coming out swinging for her, then I would say they have reason to believe it is not a farfetched story.

I know the story about Mackenzie and Mick were disclosed prior to all this in another book. Maybe a book by Jerry Hall? As I have posted previously; I don't recall the name of the book. I also remember she made claims that her "father" supplied her with drugs. I can't remember for sure about the claims she has made that her "father" had sex with her. Bottom line; I believe her. He is/was a creep...she is the victim.

I understand your point although i do not know if it is suspicious for an incest survivor to wait until the other person is dead to feel safe enough to unburden themselves. I also wonder if you can consider a soul as stunted as hers to be a "consenting adult" given her mental illness and drug addictions...I think the balance of power between a parent and child does not change much even when the child is biologically an adult. Woody Allen and his wife spring to mind for me-I get that she was not an offspring but the relationship between them ended any fondness I had for Woody. JMO. In the case of Mackenzie, I do not know but if her loved ones are coming out swinging for her, then I would say they have reason to believe it is not a farfetched story.

I agree that she was not a 'consenting adult'. In fact, with so much drug use I am not sure there was an adult in the relationship. I do feel sorry for her less than happy life. And I have no idea if her words are true.

I understand the need to heal and the need to let go of secrets and receive help and support. I just get nervous when that all seems to be paraded in an effort to increase book sales no matter who else it hurts.

Maybe I am just too cynical. :(

I guess, I see this as "we are all victims" as we are already speculting if she is telling the truth .... *sigh*

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back