GUILTY New Zealand - Dr. Lauren Dickason, 40, charged w/killing her 3 young daughters, Timaru, 16 Sep 2021

Yeah I can agree with head in the sand, I guess we just have different thoughts as to why he acted that way.
It might be futile to speculate further, but what do you make of the fact that the girls preferred him to Lauren?
As a mother and primary caregiver (I didn’t work during my kids’ earliest years and now that they’re in school I work part time) it feels so obvious that the kids prefer me because they spend more time with me. They are also close with their dad but if they wake up at night, hurt themselves, want a snack etc it’s me they come to. And that doesn’t make me special, for any of my mom friends it’s the same unless they have a family set up where the dad stays home.
So I just find it very telling that they preferred Graham- especially when waking up at night which is such a mom thing.
I’d take a guess that they preferred him because she was volatile, short tempered and reacted with anger when they didn’t behave as she would like. They probably found that really scary. It’s hard to imagine what else it could be, kids mums are usually their favourite person (emphasis on the word usually).

ETA all imo and all assumptions

I just caught up on this entire thread and Lauren reminds me of Julie Schenecker - even looks like her in the weirdest way. All the previous threats/texts to husband about what she’d do to her kids, all the anger, all the self-righteousness. Truly evil and psychotic. I hope she dies in prison. Those beautiful girls.

1692157822395.png
'Lauren Dickason murdered her three young daughters, a High Court jury has found.

Dickason was charged with murder after admitting to killing her children - two-year-old twins Karla and Maya and six-year-old Liané - at their Timaru home on 16 September, 2021.'

''It took the jury of eight women and four men just over 14 hours to reach the majority verdicts (11-1) in Christchurch, following a four week trial.

They did not find her insane at the time of the killings''

Quick, which is a relief for everyone including the jury who I am sure have seen and heard some things they’ll never forget.
I’m still very sympathetic to her mental health situation, and believes she needs major help, and was in a marriage with a crappy support system, however imo the jury got it right with their guilty verdict.

Otherwise the threshold for infanticide would be too low for my liking and who knows what future cases would draw similarities to this one and be bound (influenced? In criminal cases maybe this is a more suitable term) by precedent.

Is sentencing likely to come soon? Straight away or in a couple of weeks does anybody know? I assume Lauren would be on suicide watch?

Rip now, angels.

Last edited:
Quick, which is a relief for everyone including the jury who I am sure have seen and heard some things they’ll never forget.
I’m still very sympathetic to her mental health situation, and believes she needs major help, and was in a marriage with a crappy support system, however imo the jury got it right with their guilty verdict.

Otherwise the threshold for infanticide would be too low for my liking and who knows what future cases would draw similarities to this one and be bound (influenced? In criminal cases maybe this is a more suitable term) by precedent.

Is sentencing likely to come soon? Straight away or in a couple of weeks does anybody know? I assume Lauren would be on suicide watch?

Rip now, angels.
100% agree. RIP Lianè, Karla and Maya.

As for the sentencing, I'm not sure when it'll happen, but she'll be in Hillmorton Hospital (the same place she has been since her arrest) until then. Surely she'll be on suicide watch. I hope they watch her very closely, since her level of risk must be higher than ever now.

View attachment 441157
'Lauren Dickason murdered her three young daughters, a High Court jury has found.

Dickason was charged with murder after admitting to killing her children - two-year-old twins Karla and Maya and six-year-old Liané - at their Timaru home on 16 September, 2021.'

''It took the jury of eight women and four men just over 14 hours to reach the majority verdicts (11-1) in Christchurch, following a four week trial.

They did not find her insane at the time of the killings''
Sleep well, Lianè.

Sleep well, Karla.

Sleep well, Maya.

I'm so sorry that you didn't get the time you deserved in this world, or the mother you should have had to guide you through it.

MOO

100% agree. RIP Lianè, Karla and Maya.

As for the sentencing, I'm not sure when it'll happen, but she'll be in Hillmorton Hospital (the same place she has been since her arrest) until then. Surely she'll be on suicide watch. I hope they watch her very closely, since her level of risk must be higher than ever now.
Out of interest I googled Hillmorton Hospital. The results, including news articles aren’t very inspiring :|

''The guilty verdicts on three counts of murder came after a four-week trial. Jurors deliberated over three days and voted 11-1 for conviction, a split allowed under New Zealand laws. Dickason faces a sentence of life imprisonment.''

''Radio New Zealand reported that Dickason was motionless in the dock as the verdict was read out in the Christchurch High Court, and then cried quietly as she left. Jurors could also be heard crying, RNZ reported.
Dickason’s parents issued a statement saying the deaths were the result of their daughter’s debilitating mental illness.''

“We would like to encourage families and individuals around the world to be aware of the symptoms of post-partum depression as early as possible, both for yourselves as well as close family and friends around you,“ parents Malcolm and Wendy Fawkes said in the statement, RNZ reported.
Detective Inspector Scott Anderson said police wanted to express their deepest sympathies to family members who would never get to see Liané, Maya and Karla grow up and live out their lives.''
1692205127405.png

1692205056712.png

Agree with what you're saying here.

Rip now, angels.

I feel that her life is ended anyhow. I also feel that Lauren has a severe, debilitating mental health situation, complicated further by PTSD. I agree with you, @silvercrown , though, about the threshold for infanticide.

However, I do believe that Lauren fully intended to take her own life that day.

If there is any takehome message from this case, it is about the severity of maternal mental illness. If this case raises the awareness of PPD, it is probably good enough.

RIP, Liane, Karla and Maya. I wish Lauren to find inner peace, as much as it is possible. I wish Graham no mourn his losses, and move on with his life.

A new law just came into the effect re reasonable accommodations for pregnant and postpartum women

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316