GUILTY New Zealand - Dr. Lauren Dickason, 40, charged w/killing her 3 young daughters, Timaru, 16 Sep 2021

Lauren Dickason is no longer able to send or receive letters in custody as she awaits sentencing for the murder of her three children, her supporters say.

Lauren Dickason sleeps with teddy bears made out of her daughters’ clothing and has been communicating with supporters.

I'm surprised the jury didn't believe she was crazy. Do we know why?
I can't speak to the jury, but some of her statements really suggested a strong resentment for her children, especially one of the twins. It's hard to spin it as a 'benevolent' killing in the throes of psychosis when she's saying she decided to kill one of her children first because of her being 'really horrible' lately. There's spite in that.

MOO

Things like.. imo, speculation. rbbm
''The court heard that, long before the murders, Dickason searched the internet for ways to kill children.''

''During his opening arguments, McRae reportedly said Lauren "harboured anger and resentment" towards her children at times.''

''He said that phone messages, which would be used as evidence, showed that Lauren had, at times, threatened to "smack", "suffocate" and "murder" her children.''

''On the night of the murders, Lauren reportedly waited for her husband to leave before fetching cable ties from the garage and telling the girls they were "going to make necklaces"

Something interesting to read:

I am not sure Lauren’s postpartum episode was just depression. It is MOO.

However - either way, one wonders if one out of sox adults lives with mental illness, (that was 10 years ago, I think the data is worse now), are the immigration rules reasonable, or merely serve to stigmatize? Most important, are they going to backfire, because lack of access to care would merely cause more tragic endings?

(The data is for the US, but I don’t expect it to be statistically better for any other part of the world.)

Last edited:

I think they did. But it is a dead-end street, this case. Somehow, Lauren was able to function back home (not too well, IMO, but managing). Then she stopped medications in the hope of emigrating to NZ. In two weeks, she killed her three daughters. Either the blame is with her, because she “should have known better”, or we come to a long discussion of “but what could she have done, given the immigration laws?” In a way, I believe that NZ prison is the better option for LD. She can’t return to South Africa where everyone knows her story.

''The court heard that, long before the murders, Dickason searched the internet for ways to kill children.''

''During his opening arguments, McRae reportedly said Lauren "harboured anger and resentment" towards her children at times.''

''He said that phone messages, which would be used as evidence, showed that Lauren had, at times, threatened to "smack", "suffocate" and "murder" her children.''

''On the night of the murders, Lauren reportedly waited for her husband to leave before fetching cable ties from the garage and telling the girls they were "going to make necklaces"

how can a 2 year-old be 'particularly mean' unless someone (like their mother) has modeled that behaviour for them
good riddance to her - hope she never gets out

how can a 2 year-old be 'particularly mean' unless someone (like their mother) has modeled that behaviour for them
good riddance to her - hope she never gets out
Her idea of the kids being totally out of control was jumping on the sofa. Which is completely normal kid behaviour. I don't think she wanted children, she wanted automatons.

MOO

Thanks everyone for answering my question, I've been out of the loop for a while

I think they did. But it is a dead-end street, this case. Somehow, Lauren was able to function back home (not too well, IMO, but managing). Then she stopped medications in the hope of emigrating to NZ. In two weeks, she killed her three daughters. Either the blame is with her, because she “should have known better”, or we come to a long discussion of “but what could she have done, given the immigration laws?” In a way, I believe that NZ prison is the better option for LD. She can’t return to South Africa where everyone knows her story.
Well to me it seems like she should be kept in a psychiatric institution for decades or possibly the rest of her life?

That's what would normally happen in Australia and the US I think? I can think of a number of mother murderers currently being held indefinitely

Well to me it seems like she should be kept in a psychiatric institution for decades or possibly the rest of her life?

That's what would normally happen in Australia and the US I think? I can think of a number of mother murderers currently being held indefinitely
I hope she gets all medications in prison. I wonder if hospital would mean, extradition to SA as Lauren was not the citizen of NZ. I am not a lawyer and don’t know how the rules work in these cases.

Her idea of the kids being totally out of control was jumping on the sofa. Which is completely normal kid behaviour. I don't think she wanted children, she wanted automatons.

MOO

I almost forgot about the case, but wonder what else we don’t know about her health? Is it possible that 17 IVF cycles could cause sensory processing issues? What kind of a condition did Lauren have that led to the termination of her pregnancy with Sarah? Something very serious. I only remember from old times that Clomid can cause seizures and Lupron, mood swings, what are the side effects of never medications, I don’t know.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/lauren-dickason-trial-husband-describes-harrowing-fertility-journey-as-defence-probe-accuseds-mental-health-history/NRRZW6A2F5DCDBKCLID74NAZJQ/#:~:text=Lauren%20Dickason's%20journey%20to%20become,eggs%20to%20have%20their%20children.

I can't speak to the jury, but some of her statements really suggested a strong resentment for her children, especially one of the twins. It's hard to spin it as a 'benevolent' killing in the throes of psychosis when she's saying she decided to kill one of her children first because of her being 'really horrible' lately. There's spite in that.

MOO

My problem is those can be things people just say to be expressive or let off steam

I remember my own mother saying once or twice she could of killed me for something I did but she never meant it literally.
My uncles mother said if he survived his car accident from speeding she was gonna kill him. He did and yet she made no attempts on his life!

The husband seems to be saying that's what it was:

My problem is those can be things people just say to be expressive or let off steam

I remember my own mother saying once or twice she could of killed me for something I did but she never meant it literally.
My uncles mother said if he survived his car accident from speeding she was gonna kill him. He did and yet she made no attempts on his life!

The husband seems to be saying that's what it was:
The problem is, she made that statement I quoted within hours of having actually murdered her children, to police. It wasn't a lighthearted letting off of steam at a time when the kids were fine, it was while she was walking them through how she did the crime.

MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316