Found Deceased NH - Celina Cass, 11, Stewartstown, 25 July 2011 #10 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
Excuse me....(etc, editted for brevity)

I have posted, to the best of my admittedly limited understanding, and with source links where possible (without bogging things down too much), the most concise summaries I can about a very complex and sensitive topic. I have done so for those who are interested in forming the best conclusions possible when considering "suspects" in this case, condensing hours of reading into (relatively) brief and easy-to-read (hopefully) summaries to the best of my ability and admittedly limited knowlege.

If you have information that challenges anything I have stated post it.

OK. I'll shut up!

No, you don't need to shut up!! I just thought I'd check to see how many children are reported missing each year and discovered it's such a huge number that they would never be able to do a story on all of them.

There are about 2100 children reported missing every day - and that doesn't include abused and neglected. If each case was given only 30 seconds on the national news, it would take over 17 hours. And that's just the new cases each day. So you can see why that is simply not practical. The few cases that do get attention seem to be those with intriguing characteristics that news outlets figure will capture the attention of the public. If it does, they cover it until new information dries up. If too many cases are highlighted on the news, people eventually accept the situation as "normal" or boring and lose interest. You can see this with US casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan. At first everyone was glued to their TVs when the story covering the daily number of US troops killed was covered. Now it's such a routine news event that it's covered only briefly, if at all, and it generates practically no interest. I live in southern New Hampshire and regularly watch the news stations in Boston Mass. Every day there's at least one or two shootings or murders down there. It's such a routine event that I could care less - unless there's something about it that's really shocking. I believe news stories and the interest in them is directly related to how unusual the event is.

BBM/U :twocents: Within those 2 sentences are the entire dynamics of how ALL/MOST tragic events are introduced to the public by the MSM, again IMHO. Even local media sources will leave a "story" for "juicer tidbits" in a foreign geography when the "local" participants decline to take center stage and those "participants" include family, friends, and "the authorities".
:twocents: Working "quietly" behind the scene to bolster the resolution of justice per se for a victim or family just isn't "news-worthy" or headline making; bringing a quiet resolution (ie. a plea, an institutionalization of a perp) to an explosive, "once upon a time newsworthy" crime does not satisfy some of the blood lust within a community.

JMO with lots of respect, here at WS there is a forum
Missing Persons Information and Support
on there, there are every day a number of missing reports, which never end up on this forum, though sometimes they get moved here. Missing reports at times have so little information. Facebook, topix etc sometimes explode with support, total strangers contacting news sites, which is beautiful, but sometimes theres silence.
We are the consumer of the media - they feed us what we ask for, show interest in.
JMO we control the media

You could well be correct, and in any case I hate to criticize parents. I have simply noticed (and it could be confirmational bias on my part) that a certain "type" of victim is a whole lot more likely to get attention than others. For example, I cannot recall the last time a minority victim even made the national news.

Not saying it never happens, but I am drawing a blank. :waitasec:

Michelle Le, nursing student from CA, and Annie Le, from Yale, come to my mind. Still, point well taken. My personal complaint is that people seem to be much more disgusted and bemused at a gut level by crimes against children than those against adults. I say "personal" because it is based only on my own (also biased btw) observations and I have no desire to argue it. My point is that I think you're right about biased attention and coverage, and I'd say that race is only 1 part of that.

Michelle Le, nursing student from CA, and Annie Le, from Yale, come to my mind. Still, point well taken. My personal complaint is that people seem to be much more disgusted and bemused at a gut level by crimes against children than those against adults. I say "personal" because it is based only on my own (also biased btw) observations and I have no desire to argue it. My point is that I think you're right about biased attention and coverage, and I'd say that race is only 1 part of that.

Phlycia Barnes, Wazineh Suileman, Breeann Rodgriquez, Mariha Smith... There are a lot of minority cases of missing persons of all ages that make the national news, from what I see. For any missing person case, if it doesn't get solved and no new leads are uncovered, it's frustrating for those of us that are hoping and waiting. But, there's simply nothing for the media to report unless the families are strong enough and able to focus a lot of time and efforts on trying to keep the media's attention. And, even if the family does so, sometimes there's just too much else to be covered and not enough that can be revealed, so the media loses interest. Very sad, but not new and not necessarily always a sign of indifference by the media. JMO...

on there, there are every day a number of missing reports, which never end up on this forum, though sometimes they get moved here. Missing reports at times have so little information. Facebook, topix etc sometimes explode with support, total strangers contacting news sites, which is beautiful, but sometimes theres silence.
We are the consumer of the media - they feed us what we ask for, show interest in.
JMO we control the media

This is a good way to look at it, IMO. I have been reading the threads about Hailey Dunn...there's an example of how we can bring attention to a case, wow.

I have to admit that the sheer number of missing and Unidentified is overwhelming.

I was looking for an update on Celina's case, but it is not even being talked about here. I will check back.

Chris_Texas Sept 9 post ~831.…………………........ inside quote boxes below.
Morag’s Sept. 9 post ~834 responded to C_T…. in italics
My own thoughts………………………………................. in blue.
- - - - - - - -- - - - -- - - -- - - - - -- - - -- - - - - -- - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- -- - - - - - -

C_T posted
“
I am perhaps as hesitant to wade into these waters, as Atticus Finch was to defend a black man.” BBM

Morag’:
Excuse me. How can you compare yourself to the (fictional, but finely and idealistically depicted as a moral paragon)
likes of Atticus Finch? He was defending an innocent victim of a racist situation.

I say:

C_T hesitated. I doubt that C_T was trying to convey he himself was a moral paragon.
He may be; IDK, I have no hard info one way or another.

C_T stated he was not endorsing or defending child abusers' behavior.

I believe C_T was acknowledging - in advance - that information in his post would not be welcomed or warmly received by many readers.
[Ed: Turns out, he was right, it wasn’t.]

My hinky meter beeps at a couple people in and around CC;
but I've seen no hard info evidencing their inapprop. (signs of child abuse-sex abuse) behavior toward CC.

Note to self & others: focus on content re case in posts, not the poster.

JMO we control the media

No, I have to VERY respectfully disagree with that, although I do understand where you're coming from.

To me the "media", whether NG, JVM, or MSM "seems" to fasten on a case and talk it to death - take the Anthony case, they're still talking about it. "I" would be perfectly happy (not the right word 'cause I could never be happy about a missing child) to hear about ALL missing children, even if it did take 17 hours. I wish there were a news/tv channel devoted to ALL missing children.

To sum it up, it seems to me the media, whomever they are, pick and choose then cram "that" particular case down my throat night and day.

BTW, whatever happened to little Joshua Davis, a beautiful minority child. I'll just bet if some media light were shining on that case we'd get some sort of resolution 'cause the perp would start to squirm.

My opinion only

I think of Celina every single day, I know Justice will come for her, it's the when I'm having a hard time with.

I'm praying for her Mama...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member