NH NH - Connecticut River Valley Killer (1980s)

I stand with Rose Koske and her husband David Koske. They knew Michael Andrew Nicholaou personally. Rose traveled in his Jeep with him in the summer of 1988. I believe in the information they were eager to share. Connecticut River Valley Serial Murders shared their post.
January 17 ·

Connecticut River Valley Serial Murders
January 6, 2016 ·
Rose Koske to Connecticut River Valley Serial Murders
Hello my name is rose koske.i live in saxtons river vt..where one of the conn valley murders happened..linda moore..i moved here in 1993...i want to tell everything i know about michael nicholeau...back in 1988 before i was married i lived in the chicomansett villiage which are now called chicopee townhouse apts i believe...it was my first apt..i went by rose lehenry..i lived with my boyfriend david koske who is now my husband and my son brian who was turning 5 att the time...a new family moved in..michael and michelle nicholeau with their 2 children..a girl joylynn who was almost 2 and a son..i believe if i remember correctly his name was nick..he was just an infant..i befriended michelle..come to find out my husband was related to her by marriage..her mom rose married my husbands fathers brother john koske...we became friends..michael was quite a few yrs older than michelle and from first meeting with him i could tell he ruled her..we would be outside with the kids and if he called she would run to the phone to make sure she didnt miss his calls...we picnicked quite a few times..he was very domineering told us stories of his vietnam days..of why they moved..their house in holyoke burnt down...anyway he was self employed as a drywaller...got a job redoing a condo on mckinstry ave in chicopee ...he hired another neighbor and friend dave howell and then offered me a job cleaning up after them for $15 an hour which was great $ in 1988..i jumped on it..i drove to work with him in his jeep wagoneer..the same jeep in the cover photo..my job was to take the old drywall and throw it out 2nd floor window to a big dumpster..very easy work....i had been working a couple weeks or so and one day michael and david were going to lunch..i stayed behind becuase i brought my own lunch..i was sitting on floor eating when i noticed an open box in a closet..there were no doors on it..nothing else was in the place so i got curious and looked in the box..i was appalled at what i saw...there was a box full of bondage pictures with michael and a variety of different woman. Some were with him clean shaven some with facial hair, some with glasses and some with out. In every photo there was different types of bondage... explicit poses and in most the woman looked scared. i then proceeded to take a few pictures home to show my husband as i was scared, i also showed dave howell and the next day when i went to work the pictures were gone and i wondered if howell had said something to him. Michael acted very different towards me and made me uncomfortable. So i did not go back to work. A few days later they were gone. They moved everything in the middle of the night. Michelles family did not hear from her and knew nothing of her where abouts, never heard nothing more until about seven or eight years ago when i read the keene sentintel and saw a picture of him about the conn valley murders, showed the article to my husband and proceeded to get in touch with lynn marie carty to tell her my story. Nothing has ever been done or no one has ever contacted me as i was told they would. I wonder if them leaving so abrubtly had to do with the incriminating photos i had found. Just makes me happy i wasnt a victim. But wondering why the case was never closed.

You realize none of that is evidence, right? We KNOW MN is a killer and a bad guy. How does a box full of bondage pictures make him the CT River Valley Killer? Where was he when Bernice Courtemanche, Ellen Fried, and Eva Morse were abducted?

By the way, Bernice went missing on a Wednesday, Ellen on a Friday, and Eva also on a Wednesday, with Bernice and Eva's disappearances occurring in broad dayling. What was going on in MN's schedule where he'd be free to drive around Claremont trolling for victims in the middle of the week and why, for that matter, would he have cause to be in Claremont to begin with? You have not told us what connection, if any, he has to that town.

Further, Bernice was last seen getting into a white vehicle with NH plates. MN lived in Massachusetts at the time. Assuming this vehicle is connected to the murder, how could it possibly belong to MN?

You brought up Lynda Moore, who was killed well outside the range of the original crimes and left in-situ, unlike any other attack linked to the CT River Valley Killer, save for Jane Boroski. What makes you so sure her murder was linked? Eyewitnesses describe a much younger POI than MN and local authorities in that case had a suspect who matched John Philpin's initial profile of a disorganized, youthful offender. How does this fit the organized killer or killer operating in Claremont and why did Philpin do a complete 180 and draft a new profile to neatly match the earlier crimes? Was he under pressure from NH authorities? What on earth was going on behind the scenes there?

Do you also believe, like Philpin, that whoever killed Barbara Agnew (MN, by your contention) killed Jessica Briggs in 1989 in Portland, ME? If so, what evidence do you have to place him in Maine on the date in question?

Back to Barbara Agnew, a simple yes or now question: was Michael Nicholau actually on the list of names given by Gary Westover before his death or does his membership in the "Westover gang" have more to with your suggestion that the two *could have* met at a local VA hospital?

And finally, Jane Boroski. For years, she was convinced that MN was her attacker, based largely on interviews you conducted. She has since ID'ed another suspect as being the man who assaulted her in Swanzey. What is your opinion on this? Do you still believe that Jane is a reliable witness? Do you stand by her initial ID of MN even though she's named someone else in recent years?

Fact. In the early 1970's, after the Pentagon let him go free on the war crime charges he was jailed for, Michael Andrew Nicholaou then murdered a man in New York. He claimed it was self defense. He was let go for that murder as well.

Interesting. Once again, it posits Nicholau as a violent, reactive person with a hair-trigger temper rather than a methodical predator capable of controlling his emotions well enough to transport a victim to and from multiple crime scenes without leaving a trail.

One last thing, before I forget: MN was a resident of Massachusetts and Virginia. Boroski described a Jeep Wagoneer with New Hampshire plates. How do you explain this if Nicholau was her attacker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I follow the facts and will continue to do so. You don't know all the facts I have. You don't like the facts I have shared. You doubt the words of the sheriff's wife, a breast cancer survivor, who along with her husband the sheriff have zero reason to make up lies about the murder of Barbara Agnew. Sadly, you have chosen to lash out at me personally and bring up my " Ego." That's low. I will continue to fight for touch dna to solve these cases. I will continue to fight for Michael Andrew Nicholaou to be ruled in or out of these cases. I will continue to work with the professionals and law enforcement. Here's another fact for you. My investigation findings on my pro bono client's quadruple murder case have been filed with the Florida Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court by the 3rd largest law firm in the world. You can have your board all to yourself now. Do not fret.

I follow the facts and will continue to do so. You don't know all the facts I have. You don't like the facts I have shared. You doubt the words of the sheriff's wife, a breast cancer survivor, who along with her husband the sheriff have zero reason to make up lies about the murder of Barbara Agnew. Sadly, you have chosen to lash out at me personally and bring up my " Ego." That's low. I will continue to fight for touch dna to solve these cases. I will continue to fight for Michael Andrew Nicholaou to be ruled in or out of these cases. I will continue to work with the professionals and law enforcement. Here's another fact for you. My investigation findings on my pro bono client's quadruple murder case have been filed with the Florida Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court by the 3rd largest law firm in the world. You can have your board all to yourself now. Do not fret.

I just want to know what you know that the rest of us don't that makes you so certain. Speaking with authority that a case is solved without offering up the proof does a disservice to justice that has yet to be done.

I sincerely hope you do manage to get whatever DNA evidence that may exist analyzed so we can put the Nicholau question to bed but in the meantime, please quit it with the sanctimony. You haven't addressed any of the legitimate questions I've asked, not even to refute them. Since you haven't, I'm going to continue seeking leads elsewhere and speaking out rather than allow your dubious logic and secret "facts" continue to convince people that Nicholau is guilty and these cases are all but solved.

pettibon junction
Who is your leading candidate?

I don't have one. I made a list on the previous page of various men who have been investigated in connection to these crimes as well as several who I believe warrant scrutiny.

In James Renner's 'True Crime Addict' about the Maura Murray disappearance, he dedicates a chapter to these murders and interviews criminal profiler John Philpin, who consulted with police during the investigation. This is what he has to say about their encounter:

"Philpin does not believe that the Connecticut River Valley Killer has resurfaced. He believes he knows who is responsible for those crimes: a tow truck driver who committed suicide a while back."

This is clearly a reference to Paul Oakes of Hartford, VT. He had a long rap sheet for sex offenses and numerous, unprosecuted allegations against him. He killed himself in 2010 while out on bail pending trial for attempted rape.

http://on-suicides-deaths.blogspot.com/2010/01/suicide-in-west-hartford.html

I have no memory of being interviewed by any Mr. Renner. A "tow-truck driver" was one of many suspects in those cases; I have never claimed knowledge of who was responsible for these killings. Further, above there is this reference: "Do you also believe, like Philpin, that whoever killed Barbara Agnew ... killed Jessica Briggs in 1989 in Portland, ME?" I hold no such belief, nor have I ever stated such an opinion.
John Philpin, Ph.D.

I have no memory of being interviewed by any Mr. Renner. A "tow-truck driver" was one of many suspects in those cases; I have never claimed knowledge of who was responsible for these killings. Further, above there is this reference: "Do you also believe, like Philpin, that whoever killed Barbara Agnew ... killed Jessica Briggs in 1989 in Portland, ME?" I hold no such belief, nor have I ever stated such an opinion.
John Philpin, Ph.D.

John,

Whether Renner actually interviewed you or not, I won't speculate. However, you are quoted in the press and court documents as a consultant with the defense team in the appeal of Anthony Sanborn, who was convicted of killing Briggs.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/06/...may-have-been-work-of-uncaught-serial-killer/

My opinion in the Briggs murder was that her killer had killed before and would kill again. I do agree with Mr. McCrary that the wounds in the two cases he cited were indeed "similar". I also agree with Ms. Carty that Michael Nicholau has never been ruled in or out as a suspect in the Valley killings, and that needs to be done. The "tow-truck driver" was ruled out by virtue of an inquest and his radio traffic that night. The task force active at that time developed a database of "similar" homicides in five states. This discussion has barely scratched the surface.
John Philpin, Ph.D.

My opinion in the Briggs murder was that her killer had killed before and would kill again. I do agree with Mr. McCrary that the wounds in the two cases he cited were indeed "similar". I also agree with Ms. Carty that Michael Nicholau has never been ruled in or out as a suspect in the Valley killings, and that needs to be done. The "tow-truck driver" was ruled out by virtue of an inquest and his radio traffic that night. The task force active at that time developed a database of "similar" homicides in five states. This discussion has barely scratched the surface.
John Philpin, Ph.D.

I appreciate you weighing in, John. I hope I didn't give you any impression of disrespect. In fact I'm glad to have the opportunity to discuss the matter one on one with you.

My problem with the Nicholau hypothesis has more to do with the campaign Ms Carty has waged that has ensured there's no way to discuss these cases in a public forum without having to also talk about him.

My opinion is that he's a problematic "suspect" and that Carty's methodology for accusing him is deeply flawed. However, her gadfly personality and ability to manipulate the media has lead to a sort of complacency among the public, with many who might be compelled to dive deeper into conducting their own research or, God forbid, even coming forward as witnesses being dissuaded by this wholly manufactured consensus that the case is unofficially solved. It's reckless and irresponsible.

I'm curious as to how many cases you think may be linked to the same offender, which they might be, and where. I have some ideas, being a New Englander myself (i.e. a couple of rest stop murders in MA) but of course, I'm not privy to the same info you are.

Feel free to pm me.

I certainly believe the Nicholau situation needs resolution, regardless of whether he committed the CRV killings--as such I think Ms. Carty is best left to tracking that possibility since she has more on him than anyone.

However, I think reviewing the case with "fresh" eyes could prove useful, given the standstill (read: stonewall) reviewing Nicholau's DNA. We should leave no stone unturned in the mean time.

Some of my thoughts: Personally I'm leaning toward the possibility of it being someone who lived closer to the area, or going off of the Gary Westover confession, a group of killers. And while the viciousness of Jane's attack echoes the wounds of the other women, the methodology is less reserved--too sloppy--when compared to the CRVK. Assuming the CRVK was a lone wolf, I don't think he was Jane's attacker. If the CRV killings were the fault of a group though...who knows.

I'd like to start at the beginning, without (future) speculations as to "who dun it," especially since I'm not as on the up-and-up as I'd like to be, and I'd appreciate more information! I have the names and general locations of where the oft-presumed victims were found (I even made a map...link pending). What do we know about the conditions of the bodies upon being found? Causes of death? That sort of thing? --To recreate a list to review for an MO.

I certainly believe the Nicholau situation needs resolution, regardless of whether he committed the CRV killings--as such I think Ms. Carty is best left to tracking that possibility since she has more on him than anyone.

However, I think reviewing the case with "fresh" eyes could prove useful, given the standstill (read: stonewall) reviewing Nicholau's DNA. We should leave no stone unturned in the mean time.

Some of my thoughts: Personally I'm leaning toward the possibility of it being someone who lived closer to the area, or going off of the Gary Westover confession, a group of killers. And while the viciousness of Jane's attack echoes the wounds of the other women, the methodology is less reserved--too sloppy--when compared to the CRVK. Assuming the CRVK was a lone wolf, I don't think he was Jane's attacker. If the CRV killings were the fault of a group though...who knows.

I'd like to start at the beginning, without (future) speculations as to "who dun it," especially since I'm not as on the up-and-up as I'd like to be, and I'd appreciate more information! I have the names and general locations of where the oft-presumed victims were found (I even made a map...link pending). What do we know about the conditions of the bodies upon being found? Causes of death? That sort of thing? --To recreate a list to review for an MO.

I’m honestly skeptical that they even have DNA. The three Kellyville victims were bones by the time they were found and Barbara Agnew’s body had lain in a snowbank, where thaw would have washed away any physical evidence.

Certainly, there were fresh crime scenes where her vehicle was found, in Lynda Moore’s home, and the rest stop in Swanzey where Jane Boroski was attacked BUT there’s no solid indication these three crimes are related (the Moore murder almost certainly isn’t) and no guarantee that the assailant cut himself at the Agnew or Boroski scenes.

The best bet for DNA would be at the Moore scene in Vermont but I’m close to 100% that any forensics processed there would point to the young military recruit who was suspected initially.

Whether they have DNA or not; the police end appears to be at a pause for the time being.

Do we know exactly what was inflicted on these women before their deaths? I.e. were they all raped, all received multiple stab wounds, throats cut? I know the studies of the aged corpses (bones) were more difficult to determine exact causes of death. I also keep running into varied reports/articles saying either some of the women were raped or stabbed...or all of them. It's hard to find accuracy! Especially when looking to build an accurate (or as accurate as possible) pseudo-full report on each of the victims. And the details obviously are incredibly important.

Whether they have DNA or not; the police end appears to be at a pause for the time being.

Do we know exactly what was inflicted on these women before their deaths? I.e. were they all raped, all received multiple stab wounds, throats cut? I know the studies of the aged corpses (bones) were more difficult to determine exact causes of death. I also keep running into varied reports/articles saying either some of the women were raped or stabbed...or all of them. It's hard to find accuracy! Especially when looking to build an accurate (or as accurate as possible) pseudo-full report on each of the victims. And the details obviously are incredibly important.

In many cases, the cause of death was stabbing, determined by nick marks made on the breastplate of the victims. (This is what investigators used to link earlier victim Cathy Millican.)

With Barbara Agnew and Lynda Moore, the bodies were fresher so the wound pattern was obvious and Boroski survived so what happened to her was well-documented.

Also, as far as I know, there was no sexual assault (though Moore was displayed). In knife murders of this sort, the stabbing is a substitute for penetration and sexual contact is not necessary for the attacker.

I took a break from looking at this during the holidays and amidst a job search, but I'm back!

Are there any other girls/women who went missing during the murders from the radius of where the other connected victims were kidnapped (and their bodies dumped)--but none of whom have still been located?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back