NH NH - Kathy Gloddy, 13, Franklin, 21 Nov 1971

Despite the “cold case” investigation being reopened over the years, and interviews with people who knew her, authorities never developed enough evidence to charge anyone in her death.
upload_2019-11-18_6-10-35.jpeg

Her family has never given up hope of finding the perpetrator. One sister, Janet Gloddy Young, lives in Northfield and uses Kathy’s photo on her Facebook page as a constant reminder of the unsolved case. Another sister, Karen Beaudin of Bridgewater, has written two books about the incident: “A Child Is Missing, A True Story,” which details the family’s grief, and a followup, “A Child Is Missing, Searching For Justice,” which retraces the criminal inquiry and police politics that she believes may have thwarted the murder investigation.
Family, friends to conduct vigil for murder victim Kathy Lynn Gloddy

I was just 1 year old when Kathy was found not too far from where I now live. I see the signs with her picture on them and I wish so much that I had the resources to help this family solve this case and find some peace before everyone is gone. I don’t know why it hits me the way that it does but it just does. Anyway, hopefully someday someone will say something that’ll bust this thing open and the monster(s) responsible will pay for their crime.

What a tragic case. The perpetrator(s) in this case were sadistic monsters. I can't believe they didn't continue their sick behavior and harm others. Pity it appears that no DNA is available in this case. It would be true justice to flip over the rock and expose the worm or worms who did this terrible act.

kathy-lynn-gloddy-1544119321.png

Kathy Lynn Gloddy, 13, was found dead in Franklin in November 1971. Officials said she was sexually assaulted.

-- Last seen alive: Nov. 21, 1971
-- Found dead: Nov. 22, 1971
-- Case status: Unsolved homicide

LINK:
New Hampshire unsolved case file: Who killed Kathy Lynn Gloddy?

kathy_lynn_gloddy.jpg

Kathy Lynn Gloddy

The 1971 unsolved homicide of Kathy Lynn Gloddy.

Year of Death or Disappearance: 1971
City/Town: Franklin

Kathy Lynn Gloddy, age 13, was last seen on the evening of Sunday, November 21, 1971 near downtown Franklin, NH. She did not return home that evening. Her body was found around 1:00 p.m. on November 22, 1971 in the woods off of Webster Street in Franklin. An autopsy revealed that Kathy had been raped and strangled. She also suffered severe blunt force injuries to the neck, abdomen and head. Any of these injuries could have been fatal.

LINK:

Kathy Lynn Gloddy | Cold Case Unit | NH Department of Justice

43--23 years old--Brian Watson--gunshot
Interstate 93 in Manchester, NH. September 16, 1984

A South Boston man was arrested and charged Friday in connection with the death of a man found along the side of a New Hampshire highway in the summer of 1984.

Boston police said Michael Lewis, 61, of South Boston, was taken into custody in the area of D Street and Orton Marotta Way in South Boston.
Lewis was wanted on a Suffolk Superior Court warrant for murder in connection to the death of Brian Watson, 23, of South Boston.

1971 sexual assault, killing of 13-year-old girl in Franklin remains unsolved

FRANKLIN, N.H. — The person responsible for sexually assaulting and killing a 13-year-old girl in Franklin in 1971 has never been arrested and the case remains unsolved.

Kathy Lynn Gloddy was last seen on the evening of Sunday, Nov. 21, 1971, near downtown Franklin.

Her sister, Janet Young, told WMUR in 2015 that she let Gloddy go to the store to get something because it wasn't dark yet.

Gloddy told Young she would be right back, but she did not return home that evening.

Her body was found around 1 p.m. the following day in the woods off Chance Pond Road.

"She was beaten. She was repeatedly raped. They ran her over," Young said.

An autopsy revealed that Gloddy was sexually assaulted and strangled. She suffered severe blunt force injuries to the neck, abdomen and head.

Officials said any of those injuries could have been fatal.

Over the years, Gloddy's friends and family members have made multiple attempts to generate new leads in the case, including handing out cards and hanging posters with Gloddy's picture on them around Franklin.

The Vidocq Society, a Philadelphia-based independent group of investigators and forensic experts, agreed in 2017 to examine the Gloddy case.

"I was close to her. I can't help it. I do it all the time. When I talk about Kathy, I cry. She was a good kid. She was a tomboy. She doesn't deserve what happened to her. You know, no kid does. She was only 13," Young told WMUR in 2017.

The case is now 51 years old and remains unsolved. Was this a case of a single assailant or multiple ones?

Kathy's death was the first of a series of tragedies to befall the Gloddy family. Robert Gloddy, her brother, died just a few years after her murder, leaving a twin brother behind. The young girl's father, Earl Gloddy, died in 1992. Her mother, Lucille Gloddy, committed suicide in 1999.

"Mom left a note saying she could no longer stand being away from her husband, her daughter and her son, and she wanted to be with them," Karen said. Among her father's last words were, "Make sure I am buried next to Kathy."

From this old article about a confession, apparently false

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back