NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Disappeared" --- all new Series on the ID channel (Investigation discovery) --- features a special on Maura Murray in January 2010.

I will keep everyone posted.

The Family was Notified:

Disappeared Sneak Peeks: Maura Murry

email a friend
share on social networks

Maura Murray goes missing after her car swerves off a dark and windy road over 140 miles away from her dorm. Years later, her family refuses to give up their seach. Don't miss this episode premiere on February 8 at 10 PM e/p!

http://investigation.discovery.com/videos/disappeared-sneak-peeks-maura-murry.html

Is there any possibility that she was killed at or near her college and someone left the note to throw the search off. They could have even forced Maura to write it at gunpoint before killing her. They could have also staged the accident and had an accomplice pick them up.

We got the show here last night it was good but nothing discussed that has'nt already been on here

I was looking forward to watching that show. But given that absolutely nothing new has come out about the case in years, I guess I shouldn't expect anything more than a summary of what I already know. It's a one-hour program aimed at a mass audience, not necessarily at those already following the case.

What really bugs me about the whole Maura Murray case is how they've never even found out where she was headed. Or why? It would seem she was headed to Bartlett, NH, as the route she was on makes no sense if she were headed to Stowe or Burlington VT (the two other locations she MapQuested or phoned before leaving). The whole "she just wanted to get away for a few days" explanation seems woefully inadequate. Why did she need to get away? Why did she report a death in the family and leave suddenly? Why did she bolt in a car that was running on three cylinders when she'd have had a new car within a week? Why was she considering Burlington, Stowe, and Bartlett in particular?

If it was a random stranger abduction, then those why's aren't important. Random is random. She was a victim of opportunity. But, if it wasn't random, then knowing what she was planning, who she was meeting, who she was calling, becomes a major factor. Until investigators figure that out, there's no way of knowing if it was a random incident or not.

That's the most frustrating thing. Nearly six years on, and nobody even knows where to start looking. The owners of the Bartlett condo she had called weren't even contacted by investigators until one year later. That means that other necessary follow-up was left just as long. Had that type of follow-up been done within the first few weeks, maybe they'd have at least gathered some leads. They may never figure out what happened, but finding out why she was where she was, and who else might have been invovled with her plans, if anyone, would at least provide a starting point for further investigation.

There's this case, and Leah Roberts in the spring of 2000 in Washington state, that have always stuck in my head. Absolute dead ends. It's just mind-boggling.

We had a woman go missing recently, she was driving drunk with her child in the car and fled the scene when she crashed it. She was eventually found not far from the scene of the crash, dead in the woods. It was also what would have been classified as a minor crash. Not sure what the official COD is, I believe the case is still open as it happened only about a week or so ago. But the moral seems to be, even a "minor" crash can give you an injury that may cause you to wander off and die if you're not helped right away. So it could be that she's somewhere quite close by, but concealed.

That's very true. But.... the area has been searched thoroughly. Not right away, but in the days and weeks and months following the crash. Cadaver dogs have been all over, yet they've found nothing. Could be she was intoxicated, and had a mild head injury (airbags had gone off) and she wandered off and died of exposure, huddled in some little nook or cranny in the woods where her remains will be completely hidden. Could be that the dogs just didn't catch wind of it for some reason. You never know.

But... they would have seen her tracks in the snow had she headed right into the woods. The snow was very deep in the area, and she'd have left deep tracks that would have been noticeable for days afterwards. There were no such tracks. Best guess is she was picked up by someone. Where she went or what happened next is anyone's guess. Random stranger or someone who knew she was there? Again, anyone's guess. It doesn't seem possible someone who knew her would have been right there, but until we know why she was there, we can't discount that either.

That's very true. But.... the area has been searched thoroughly. Not right away, but in the days and weeks and months following the crash. Cadaver dogs have been all over, yet they've found nothing. Could be she was intoxicated, and had a mild head injury (airbags had gone off) and she wandered off and died of exposure, huddled in some little nook or cranny in the woods where her remains will be completely hidden. Could be that the dogs just didn't catch wind of it for some reason. You never know.

But... they would have seen her tracks in the snow had she headed right into the woods. The snow was very deep in the area, and she'd have left deep tracks that would have been noticeable for days afterwards. There were no such tracks. Best guess is she was picked up by someone. Where she went or what happened next is anyone's guess. Random stranger or someone who knew she was there? Again, anyone's guess. It doesn't seem possible someone who knew her would have been right there, but until we know why she was there, we can't discount that either.

If they were both driving to the same destination from different starting points, the other person might have been close behind her.

I've always wondered about the bus driver that stoped and asked if she needed help. I really wonder if he was properly investigated? The whole case is so weird.

Hi guys,

I've just finished reading this particular case after coming across it on another site earlier today, talk about mind-boggling! There seems to be many possibilites as to what happened to Maura. Ranter raises some interesting points, I doubt this case will ever be solved due to the lack of information surrounding Maura's plans that evening, where she was going and why.

Just a head's up for those who don't know and a reminder for those who do..... The Investigation Discovery Channel is featuring Maura Murray next Monday night, 2/8/2010 on their new series called Disappeared.
I believe this is the last of the series. It airs at 9pm CST.

Maura's dad really moved me in the previews for this show.
Please tune in if you can to show your support for Maura.

Thanks

Just a head's up for those who don't know and a reminder for those who do..... The Investigation Discovery Channel is featuring Maura Murray next Monday night, 2/8/2010 on their new series called Disappeared.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for this reminder. This isn't the last episode of the series. Actually, the series began on 1/11. Billy Smolinski will be featured in the 2/15 episode - actually the bill Billy's Law (HR3695, the Help Find the Missing Act) was just passed through the full committee this past week. Billy's mother testified at in DC and obviously will be in the episode along with Billy's father and sister. Info on episodes along with sneak peaks and splices from former episodes can be found here http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/disappeared/

Thanks

"Tests are being performed on possible new evidence in the mysterious disappearance six years ago of University of Massachusetts nursing student Maura Murray in Haverhill, according to Lt. James White, head of the New Hampshire State Police Major Crime Unit. Tuesday will mark the sixth anniversary of the day Murray vanished in the North Country after crashing her car on remote and winding Route 112 during a snowstorm shortly before 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 9, 2004.

Some time in the last two weeks, police received new information in the case, White said, though he declined to say exactly what it is.

This case is very much active." he said.

As a result of the new leads, White said, police collected items that are now in the process of being tested.

Union Leader...Nancy West 2/7/1
Article not online

"Tests are being performed on possible new evidence in the mysterious disappearance six years ago of University of Massachusetts nursing student Maura Murray in Haverhill, according to Lt. James White, head of the New Hampshire State Police Major Crime Unit. Tuesday will mark the sixth anniversary of the day Murray vanished in the North Country after crashing her car on remote and winding Route 112 during a snowstorm shortly before 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 9, 2004.

Some time in the last two weeks, police received new information in the case, White said, though he declined to say exactly what it is.

As a result of the new leads, White said, police collected items that are now in the process of being tested.

Article not online

Article not online

I wonder what new evidence surfaced after all these years. Did someone finally come forward with something?

REMINDER: 4 minutes until showtime:

Just a head's up for those who don't know and a reminder for those who do..... The Investigation Discovery Channel is featuring Maura Murray TONIGHT, 2/8/2010 on their new series called Disappeared.
It airs at 9pm CST.

REMINDER: 1 minute until showtime:

Just a head's up for those who don't know and a reminder for those who do..... The Investigation Discovery Channel is featuring Maura Murray TONIGHT, 2/8/2010 on their new series called Disappeared.
It airs at 9pm CST.

REMINDER: ON NOW!

It airs at 9pm CST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean