NH NH - Tammy Belanger, 8, Exeter, 13 Nov 1984

@-Nemo- excellent piece there written about Tammy and the time frame is just amazing.

Here is what is intriguing to me, from your draft:

11/02/1984 - He moves back to Rye, N.H. His parole officer gets him a job at an Exeter body shop.

11/13/1984 - Tammy Belanger disappears in Exeter.

What I am wondering is, did he move on November 2, 1984 to Rye? Assuming he did, when exactly did he start work at the auto body shop, and how long was he working there before Tammy disappeared? November 2nd was on a Friday. Tammy disappeared on a Tuesday on Nov. 13th.

One thing I don't recall that was ever mentioned, was when his shift started and ended. Such as, if he was on his way to work, say, for 8 am, it's possible that he saw Tammy walking to school. I am estimating that had he started work on November 2nd, to which isn't clear as it says he moved back on Nov 2nd- that meant that it was possible that he watched Tammy for 7 days before possibly kidnapping her on the 8th work/school day that he may have seen her walking to school. So, it wasn't like he had a lot of time to simply watch her, say a month or so. 8 days- it looked like she had a few twists and turns walking to school. He must have noticed her at a certain point of the walk- an area to which may not have had a lot of traffic at that spot, as no one remembers seeing Tammy talking to anyone or getting in a car. Makes me want to walk that route from her home to the school, to see where possibly there might be one area that isn't busy on a school/work morning than others.

Rye is a 20 minute drive from Exeter. I wonder what street the auto body shop was on- did I miss that above? Did he have to go by her walking route to get to the auto body shop?

Thanks again for this well written draft you posted. It really helped seeing it all written in a clear time line.

It's also puzzled me that they never found any of Tammy's DNA in his car or home- not a piece of hair, barrette, pony tail holder, her back pack, shoes, nothing of hers was ever found.

For some reason, I feel that whoever abducted her- they took her a bit of a ways away from Exeter. As you already know, especially where you live (home of Pawtuckaway State Park- a place I know well), there are so many places where she could be buried and no one would ever find her. It's a scary thought.

@Steelslady

Yes, these are all valid points that you raise. I don't think Victor had been in NH for very long before Tammy's abduction. He was sentenced in late August of 1984 for night prowling and served 30 days in jail. He subsequently returned to NH. Probably because he knew he was in violation of his parole. I'm a bit confused about this point. Apparently, he was in Florida without permission. His parole officer got him the job in Exeter. The reason his parole was ultimately revoked and he was sent back to prison in NH was because of that night prowling charge. I'm not certain what he was doing during the month of October. The records show he was at Southwind Motor Inn from November 2nd to about the 20th. That seems to correlate with his employment at Brad's Auto Body on Main Street. The Auto Body shop was about a block away from Lincoln St. school. And about a 3 minute drive away from Tammy’s house. He wouldn’t have to drive past her house but he could’ve followed her home from school. We also know that he liked to cruise around.

I share some of your hesitation. I’ll put it to you this way about Victor Wonyetye, I’m 85 % convinced that he is the one. There are just a few nagging points that bother me. He wasn’t a world-class criminal. I’ve tracked his record back to the late 50s. The reason I could was because he was always getting caught. The idea that a guy who couldn’t steal a carton of cigarettes without getting arrested could go on to abduct two children in broad daylight and leave nary a forensic trace... well, it’s not impossible but it’s difficult to buy. The Exeter PD are convinced he’s the one. I have to think they know far more than me about it. The police in Florida have a total of 5 suspects, including Wonyetye.

His parole officer notified Exeter P.D. within two days of Tammy’s abduction. Investigators were questioning the manager of the Southwind Motor Inn in Rye within a week and searching the grounds. The FBI was also questioning him at this time and tearing apart his car. They ultimately tested about 40 items. He was arrested a little over two weeks after Tammy’s abduction and his parole was revoked and he was returned to prison until ‘91. Then he was rearrested about 6 months later in Florida and was imprisoned until 2012. He died 6 months later.

According to my research in 76% of the murders of an abducted child, the child was dead within 3 hours. 89 % are dead within 24 hours.

In 1985, the Exeter chief of police thought he had enough to take to the grand jury for an indictment against Wonyetye in Tammy's abduction. They felt that they had discovered some evidence that was related to the receipt of stolen goods and felt this linked him to Tammy. I believe there was a charge on those stolen goods. I’m not sure yet what became of this. I know the FBI found no linkage between the items tested and Tammy. And he was never charged for Tammy or Christy’s abduction.

It seems clear that Victor did not have a lot of time to clean up or hide Tammy's body. It's likely he had about 48 hours before he was on anyone's radar. Now we know Tammy's parents didn’t know that she hadn’t been to school until about 3:30-4pm, when Patricia called her sister-in-law whose child was in Tammy’s class. That would give an abductor a good 7-8 hour head start. (Unfortunately, a very similar scenario occurred in Christy’s abduction.) Keep in mind that Wonyetye was seen by his parole officer at some point that day--where and when I'm not sure, yet. At that time the Rockingham county seat and courts were in Exeter but his parole officer might have met him elsewhere. The charges he was on parole for were from Strafford County. And if my research is not mistaken he was at work the following day. He was scheduled to be into work on the day of Tammy’s abduction at about Noon. There is some confusion as to when and where he called in. I have found some information that he called in sick to work at about 9:30am while he was in the town of Exeter. Maybe he was seeing his parole officer at about this time. If Tammy was abducted at a little past 8am… well, that timeline could work out for the abduction at least. Nonetheless, I have not confirmed this yet.

But taking this all into consideration it doesn't appear that Wonyetye had a lot of time to hide Tammy’s body. The notion that he put her in a car that was then crushed seems very far-fetched to me. Yes, he worked at an autobody shop—as a painter—that doesn’t mean he had any access to scrapyards. The idea that he had time to get on a boat into the Atlantic seems far-fetched, also. If we’ve thought of it, the FBI thought of it.

I think maybe, sometimes, we want to see complexity where there isn’t any. We want to believe that the way Tammy’s body was hidden was very clever—something out of a Dorothy Sayers novel—but just consider Bear Brook. There was nothing especially sophisticated about the way that Rasmussen hid those bodies. It just came down to chance and circumstance and a hunter stumbling upon a barrel—and then looking into it. How many people had walked past that same barrel and ignored it? And the other barrel might still not have been discovered if it wasn't for the tenacity and luck of an investigator 15 years later!

Of course, this doesn't mean Wonyetye had no time to hide her, it just means he had very little time and he had to be very thorough in his cleanup. It could be that he had help. There are rumors about another person seeing Tammy in his car. I don’t know how much credit to give to these rumors because they seemed to be traced to one website and I cannot be certain where this person’s information is coming from. The lack of forensics is troubling but not totally unheard of. It’s not particularly common for there to be slam-dunk forensics.

Also, it was November when Tammy went missing and it was very cold at night. In fact, the first night she was gone there was freezing rain. Within a few weeks deep snow was on the ground. These are factors that could also play into body disposal.

A couple of other points to keep in mind: Chief Caracciolo in Exeter said that several sources reported seeing a suspicious blue vehicle in the area around the school on the morning of Tammy’s disappearance. One of the last times Christy Luna was seen in Florida she was talking to a man in a faded blue car. Victor Wonyetye owned a blue car. However, the eyewitnesses in Florida described the man as Hispanic and between 5’6” and 5’8” tall. But Victor was of Romanian heritage and did landscaping at a golf course in the Florida sun. Pictures of him at that time show he had dark hair. He was 6’1” tall. Eyewitnesses in Exeter failed to pick out Wonyetye in a police lineup. One person actually picked someone else. Also there were hoax reports in Exeter at that time about an eyewitness seeing a little girl being forced into a blue car with Florida license plates. That was completely false and it was very painful to Tammy’s family. Blue is not an uncommon car color. My family owns a pale blue car. So do my neighbors.

I'm really hoping to get a better sense of Wonyetye's psychopathology. It's frustrating because when I find one item of information that seems to be indicative of his guilt, I find another that seems to contradict it.

There are certain aspects of his past that stick out to me. His father was an alcoholic and physically abusive. His mother was cold, demanding, and disapproving of Victor. That’s almost a cliché. He has a long criminal record that includes breaking and entering, night prowling, voyeurism, and sexual assault against a minor.

But Marjorie Luna and Tammy were abducted when Wonyetye was 41. That seems comparatively late to start murdering. There might be a reason for why this is the case, though. Just simply the amount of time he spent institutionalized—between reform school, jail, and prison he didn't have a lot of time to develop as a predator. Also he had no time to continue because of the time he was in prison after the two abductions.

The fact that he was an avid, almost compulsive voyeur is deeply troubling to me. He had to know that the police were tailing him. But he kept on peeping into windows and masturbating. He kept approaching little girls. He kept trolling public parks. When he was arrested for night prowling in 1984 the house was occupied by a single woman and her three young daughters.

The research literature links peeping tom behavior with violent sexual crime--usually that behavior is a part of a pattern of escalation. But there's no reason to think that voyeurism and murder could not occur concurrently in the same individual—especially one incarcerated as much as Victor.

I have also confirmed that Victor WOULD get fixated on certain girls and follow them home from school. He kept returning to the same two houses that had young girls in Lake Worth over a period of weeks when he was being surveilled by police in 1991. That confirms one of my suspicions about Tammy's abduction. Wonyetye could have targeted and stalked her. The circumstances could have been right on that particular morning.

My feeling, based upon my familiarity with Exeter now, is that if she was taken by force and in a car it had to be somewhere on either South St. or Court St. and she was taken south on rt. 108 towards Kensington, the warren of backroads, and possibly Massachusetts. She was only on Court St. for about .1 miles. That’s like 200 paces. It just doesn’t make sense that an abductor would have or could have taken her on Elm St. and then headed into the traffic in town. Going into the town of Exeter at that time one would find stop and go traffic around the Academy and Water St.

I’ve also wondered about whether there could’ve been a second person—maybe behind the wheel, while the person who grabbed her controlled her in the backseat. Or... maybe it was someone who Tammy knew. Maybe they lived in a house along the route. Maybe they were able to lure her into a car.

I lived in Exeter for several years as an adult and work in the area quite often. What has always struck me about the area Tammy was taken was how unlikely a spot it was for a stranger abduction. If someone was organized enough to plan and to follow a kid, they’d be organized enough to do it in an area where they were least likely to be observed. From my research, well over 50% of kids at that time walked to school in Exeter. And while the population has grown, it hasn’t grown THAT much. And the vast majority of the houses in that area were there at that time.

I actually just walked Tammy’s route yesterday. It took me about 5 minutes to walk from her house to the corner of Elm St. I will say this about that area, at certain times of the day it is a ghost town. At other times, it’s not. I've inserted a photo I took at the corner of River St. and South St. You can get a feel for how isolated it can be. The far end is Court St. However, this photo was taken at about 11:30 AM. And there were two different people working in their yards on River St.

I’ve been in discussions with a man who lived in Exeter at that time and went to school with Tammy. He was also 8-years-old in 1984. He lived on Court St. and walked to school. He would often see Tammy on Elm St. He also is shocked that anyone could abduct a kid there because many of them walked in groups or in eyeshot of one another.

Clearly there are certain reasons to like Victor Wonyetye for this crime. And there are reasons to have reservations. Exeter P.D. called Lake Worth P.D. in 1984 after Wonyetye was on their radar, that's how they learned about the Luna abduction in bordering Greenacres. The only reason Wonyetye became a major suspect in Exeter was because of the Florida abduction. The only reason he became a suspect in Florida was because of the NH abduction. If one case falls, the other case seems significantly weaker. Greenacres named a new suspect in Christy’s abduction in 2013—Delbert Mosher. They are obviously not settled on Victor Wonyetye. Unfortunately, NH never developed other suspects. If they did, they haven’t named them. This could be because Victor was the one. And they had enough evidence to know it but the evidence wasn’t strong enough for the A.G. to sign off on it. It could be they have another suspect and they don’t want to tip that person off. I have also wondered about the Academy and so have a few other people I’ve discussed the case with. I just don’t know. There are problems with this, too.

Attachments

• SouthSt.jpg
    SouthSt.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
(What follows is based upon what I have gleaned from public records and as my research deepens I hope to expand upon it. WARNING: Some aspects of this post might be upsetting to certain individuals. It contains brief references to sexual misconduct against children.)

"Most offenders believe they are skilled at finding vulnerable children," - Conte et al "What sexual offenders tell us about prevention strategies

A 2006 study on Child Abduction Murder by the Attorney General of the State of Washington found the following: In 76% of the murders of abducted children, the child was murdered within three hours of the abduction. In 89% of these cases, the missing child was dead within twenty-four hours. In 74% of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child murder victim was female. The primary motive for these abductions was sexual assault. Almost two-thirds of the killers in these cases have prior arrests for violent crimes, with slightly more than half of those prior crimes committed against children. https://agportal-s3bucket.s3.amazon...)/Child_Abduction_Murder_Research/CMIIPDF.pdf

Similarities between the abductions of Tammy Belanger and Christy Luna:

1. Both girls were 8-years-old at the time of their abduction.

2. Both girls had similar physical descriptions. They were both Caucasian. Both had brown hair. Tammy was 4’ 6” tall and weighed 70lbs. Christy was 4’ 0” tall and weighed 60lbs.

3. Both girls had a physical disorder. Tammy had Strabismus (eye misalignment) caused by an injury in early childhood. Christy was hearing impaired and had a speech impediment.

4. Both girls were described as shy and timid.

5. Both girls were abducted on routes that they walked daily. Tammy was abducted on her walk to school, a trip she took at least twice a day and five days a week. Christy was abducted walking home from Belk’s Country store, a trip she would make three to four times a day.

6. A blue car is linked to both of their abductions. On the morning of Tammy’s abduction, several eyewitnesses reported seeing a “suspicious blue car” driving in the area of Lincoln Street School in Exeter, NH. One of the last times Christy was seen she was talking to a man who was driving a “faded blue car”. The man was offering her money to buy sparklers from Belk’s.

7. Both girls were gone for an extended period of time before their absences were noted. Lincoln Street Elementary School in Exeter did not have a family notification process in place at the time of Tammy’s abduction. Her mother did not become aware of Tammy’s absence from school until sometime between 3:30-4pm, almost 8 hours after she was last seen. In Greenacres, FL., Christy’s family had just returned from an overnight trip to Jupiter, FL. on the afternoon of May 27th and they were all tired. Her mother, older sister, and her mother’s live-in boyfriend all decided to take a nap. Christy walked to Belk’s Country Store to buy food for the family’s cats at around 2:30 pm. She was last seen at around this time. Her absence wasn’t noted by her mother and sister until later that evening. They conducted a small neighborhood search before contacting authorities at around 10:15 pm, almost 8 hours after Christy was last seen.

8. Both girls were abducted within 200-300 yards of their homes.

9. There were no eyewitnesses to either abduction.

10. Both girls disappeared without a trace. It was said that it was like Tammy “walked into a vacuum.” The authorities in Christy’s case said the search was like “grasping at straws.”

11. There are 5 suspects in the abduction of Christy and one of them is linked to Tammy’s disappearance: Victor George Wonyetye Jr.

12. In May of 1984, Victor lived in Lake Worth, Florida. Lake Worth is a mere twelve-minute drive from Greenacres, FL. Victor had ties to the neighborhood where Christy was last seen. In November of 1984, Victor was employed at Brad’s Auto Body in Exeter, NH. Brad’s is located on 69 Main Street. That is .3 miles from Lincoln Street Elementary School and .9 miles from Tammy’s house. There is circumstantial evidence that Victor was in the area around the time of both abductions.

13. Victor owned a blue car at the time of both abductions.

14. Victor liked to cruise in his car and was observed following children home from their bus stop, watching children swimming in pools, and playing in parks. Victor was also seen approaching two 9-year-old girls in his car.

15. Victor was a compulsive voyeur.

16. Victor would get fixated on particular girls between the ages of 8 and 10, returning to their homes in the predawn hours to stare into their windows as they slept, pleasuring himself as he did so.

17. In the state of NH, Victor had been convicted of Felonious Sexual Assault of a child under the age of 13 in 1979. He started raping that child, his stepdaughter when she was 8-years-old. He continued raping her for five years.

Last edited:
tammy_belanger01.jpg

Tammy Belanger, 8
Year of Death or Disappearance: 1984

City/Town: Exeter

Eight-year-old Tammy Belanger disappeared on November 13, 1984 while walking to school on Court Street in Exeter, NH. Despite a massive search and extensive investigation over the years, Tammy has never been located.

Help us solve this case and bring justice to the family of this victim.
Sources

New Hampshire State Police Missing Persons

I've often wondered why her siblings have never talked about her disappearance and tried to get answers. Sadly, her parents divorced, her father died a couple of years ago, not knowing what happened to his precious daughter.

Such a heartbreaking and haunting case. Never forgotten, Tammy, I promise.

Years ago, I had found this page for Tammy.

It made me think- is it possible that she is alive out there? Abducted by someone else?

TAMMY BELANGER, A MISSING CHILD

I am so grateful, @-Nemo- that you are keeping Tammy's name out there with a few of us that haven't forgotten her.

I know I am preaching to air here, but I wish that LE had looked at others as suspects in that area. I loved your posts and thoroughly absorbed everything you said. It does make you wonder, if he did murder both Marjorie and Tammy- why did he start so late in life? Not that I want any darling little girl murdered! It just seems odd that it wasn't his behavior in the past to do so, sick as he was for sure. When I think back to how angry and belligerent he was about his girlfriend's poor daughter- he didn't murder her (thank God!), but he blamed her, right to the media! Why do these sickos ever get a second and other chances to harm more children like this? He even admitted to sleeping with that poor girl, and yet we let animals like him out on the street?

What a sad case. My heart goes out to her family. Too bad this recent article included any mention of that "psychic." Psychics do not solve cases, but they do take money from desperate people.
Speaking of family, sometimes, it seems like she doesn't have a soul in the world that cares what happened to her, except for one cousin, who posted only once, on a missing page made for Tammy. A bunch a strangers give a damn and some are still searching here and there quietly to try and find her.

You know what's sad? That same photo is THE ONLY photo of Tammy ever released. By now, you would think they would post more of her, especially from that time period- never know, it could jog a memory or two. Former classmates try to remember her, too.

I keep coming back to Victor Wonyetye primarily due to an article I stumbled upon a little over 10 years ago. It was 10 years ago this month that I posted the article’s contests here, and now here it is again for any who have not seen it and would like to. I have not found a direct link to this article on the Palm Beach Post’s site, but it was in their paper that this article was printed.

Police: Man Told Inmates He Killed Greenacres Girl

BYLINE: Amy Driscoll, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

DATE: 01-14-1992

PUBLICATION: The Palm Beach Post
EDITION:
SECTION: Newspapers_&_Newswires
PAGE: 1B

Victor Wonyetye confessed to other inmates in a New Hampshire prison that he had abducted, raped and then killed two 8-year-old girls, police testified Monday.

Wonyetye long a suspect in the disappearance of Christy Luna of Greenacres and Tammy Belanger of Exeter, N.H., is on trial for burglary and trespassing charges stemming from a series of peeping Tom incidents in suburban West Palm Beach.

But the focus of the trial, which began Monday with jury selection, has been on the two girls missing since 1984.

Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office detectives and a Greenacres police officer took the stand Monday during pre-trial motions to explain why they began following and videotaping Wonyetye in May. They said they were alerted to his presence in the county by New Hampshire police after "Wonyetye " was released from prison there.

They decided to begin 24-hour surveillance of Wonyetye after interviewing inmates at New Hampshire State Prison, who told them Wonyetye had discussed details of the two girls' deaths.

Greenacres detective Gary Chapin testified that between eight and 12 inmates have supplied information to police that Wonyetye talked about strangling the girls.

Defense attorney Bert Winkler had unsuccessfully argued that the judge should dismiss the case because police had watched Wonyetye for more than three weeks as he allegedly trespassed and committed other crimes without arresting him.

"They just wanted to rack up as many charges as they could, because they couldn't get enough evidence to charge him with the disappearances," Winkler said.

Sheriff's detective Steve Landrum said police decided to arrest Wonyetye on June 4 because they were afraid he was becoming violent.

"We thought he might try to abduct a child," Landrum said. He said they saw him "acting out angry behavior in his car when he was prevented from making contact with small children."

He has been in Palm Beach County Jail since his arrest. Circuit Judge Walter Colbath has refused to set bail because he said he is afraid "Wonyetye, a 48-year-old golf course employee who lives with his mother in suburban Lake Worth, will flee.

This article says that Wonyetye confessed to at least eight to twelve inmates that he raped and strangled two eight-year-old girls to death. I read elsewhere that four of these inmates gave consistent testimonies. Somehow, this seems to slip under the radar, as I have only seen one other source, that being South Florida’s Sun Sentinel, mention the fact that Wonyetye made such a confession to inmates. I really wish that any notes that may have been taken regarding those testimonies had been kept around, as that may be the closest thing to the truth Tammy’s and Christy Luna’s families ever get regarding their loved ones. At this point, we cannot expect them to magically resurface.

As far as this article goes, we know that it says Wonyetye confessed to inmates that he killed Christy Luna. Although the article does not mention her name, we know that she went missing from Greenacres, FL, and so we can safely assume that is who the Greenacres girl in the headline is. So, what about Tammy? Well, even though the article does not name or allude to Tammy, we know that Tammy, like Christy, was eight years old at the time, which is the age of both of Wonyetye’s claimed victims. We also know that Wonyetye had moved to New
Hampshire not long before Tammy went missing. Wonyetye also said something very ominous to the owner of the motor inn he was staying at when Tammy’s disappearance was covered on the news either that evening or a few evenings later. The motor inn owner asked Wonyetye if he thought the authorities would ever find Tammy, and Wonyetye said, “Not now they won’t.” While a statement like that wasn’t a straight admission on Wonyetye’s part that he was involved in Tammy’s disappearance, it does imply rather heavily that he was. Furthermore, Wonyetye reportedly asked the motor inn owner to say he was at the inn all day that day, to which she said she could not say that, and that she was certain she had seen him leave that morning. Pretty suspicious for Wonyetye to be asking someone to lie about his whereabouts during the morning Tammy went missing.

It should also be noted that trace amounts of cat hair was found on duct tape in Wonyetye’s possessio. This is significant because Christy Luna’s family had at least one cat (she went to Greenacres Grocery that day to buy cat food after all), and Christy was said to always be covered in cat hair, and so were her stuffed animals. At one time, testing was to be done to compare the cat hair found in Wonyetye’s possession with cat hair on one of Christy’s stuffed animals, but I have seen no evidence that any such test was done. Sure, it is only circumstantial evidence, but it further backs up the belief that Wonyetye was the one who kidnapped Christy and ended her life. It is a real shame that he died without ever confessing to either disappearance. Even though none of the evidence against Wonyetye was ever conclusive enough to warrant a conviction, I have seen more evidence against him than I have against anyone else suspected of either girl’s disappearance. For this reason, I continue to suspect Wonyetye.

I just think they should have taken a look at other people besides Wonyetye. I'm not saying he didn't do it, but boy oh boy, did they ever zero in on him and that was it, no one else was given a look at. Trust me, there were plenty of other sickos living and working in that area. I am sure Nemo would be able to back me up on that.

So much of this has me bewildered. One picture of her only- a school picture. Her parents were interviewed one time, and that was it. No other photo of her or with her family exists. That is it. Really irks me.

To this day, we really don't know much about poor Tammy.

The cat hair was supposedly not from either girl- Tammy's family didn't have a cat and the fur didn't belong to Christy's cat.

So there was a test done on the cat hair to compare it to Christy’s cast? Can you provide a link to the test results?

Shattered Innocence: The Disappearance of Tammy Belanger
The 1984 unsolved disappearance of a child changed a small New England town forever.

February 6th, 2021

Tammy Belanger, a shy and studious 8-year-old, lived in the small town of Exeter, New Hampshire. Exeter was considered an extremely safe place, and most of the 13,000 residents rarely bothered locking their doors. Tammy, the youngest of Norman and Patricia Belanger’s three children, had grown up in Exeter and knew most of the people in her neighborhood. She attended third grade at Lincoln Street School, located a mile from her home on River Street. Bus service was only available for students who lived at least two miles away, so Tammy walked to and from school. She had been taking the same route daily since first grade, and was comfortable walking alone.

On the morning of November 13, 1984, Tammy left her house at 8:00 am and began her walk to class. Neighbor Betty Blanchette happened to glance out her kitchen window as Tammy was passing by, and watched briefly as the child skipped down the street. It usually took Tammy about 10 minutes to complete the walk, but on that morning, she never arrived at school.

At the time, the elementary school did not notify parents when a child was absent, so Tammy’s parents had no idea she hadn’t made it to class. Patricia started to get nervous when Tammy wasn’t home by 3:30 pm, and after waiting a few minutes she called the school to see if her daughter was still there. She was horrified when she learned that Tammy hadn’t been there at all that day, and immediately called the police to report her missing.

The responding officer immediately recognized that the situation was serious. The temperature had already dropped below freezing, and the wind chill that evening would soon drop below zero. A child wouldn’t survive long under those conditions, so it was important to find her quickly. With the help of volunteers, police began searching along the route Tammy normally took to school. They found no sign of Tammy.

There was nothing to indicate that foul play had taken place, but Norman and Patricia were adamant that their daughter wouldn’t have run away from home. Tammy loved school; she was always on time in the morning and had never skipped class. She had a stable home environment and was close with her family. They told police that Tammy was quite timid around people she didn’t know, and they didn’t believe she would have willingly accepted a ride with anyone. They were certain that she must have been abducted.

The Exeter Police Department and residents of the neighborhood searched for Tammy throughout the night without success. In the morning, a massive search was launched, with the police chief calling in the Coast Guard, firefighters, and officers from surrounding communities. They combed through the entire town looking for anything that might lead them to Tammy. Divers were sent into the Exeter River, volunteers checked in dumpsters and trash cans, and officers scoured several wooded areas. Once school was out for the day, searchers went through the entire building; they checked every classroom, closet, and crawlspace. They were unable to find any evidence related to Tammy.

Although police found no evidence of foul play, they couldn’t rule it out. Since there was a chance that Tammy had been kidnapped, the FBI was called into the investigation. For three days, authorities and up to 200 volunteers searched the area for clues. Unable to find anything relevant to the case, officials determined that Tammy had most likely been kidnapped and taken out of the area. They would continue conducting searches of specific areas as new leads came in, but there would be no more large-scale searches.

Detectives began their investigation with the assumption that Tammy was the victim of foul play. They interviewed her family first, but quickly ruled them out as having anything to do with her disappearance. They spoke with Tammy’s friends and determined that there hadn’t been anything unusual going on in her life, and she hadn’t mentioned being scared of anyone. No one had noticed any strangers lingering around the school, and none of the children reported being approached by anyone they didn’t know.

Investigators went to every house Tammy passed on her normal route to school and asked residents if they had seen anything out of place the day she went missing. No one had. It was as if Tammy had vanished into thin air.

During the first two days of the investigation, there were more than 1,000 tips called in about the case. Detectives followed up on each one, but all were dead ends. A reward was offered for information leading to the return or recovery of Tammy, but even the offer of money failed to bring the break investigators needed.

As days went by without any progress, the town of Exeter grew more frightened about the possibility that there was a monster living in plain sight. Children were no longer allowed to walk to school; each morning more than 100 cars would line up at the school to drop off children. Tammy’s classmates were especially frightened, and counselors were brought in to help them sort through their feelings. They hung up posters to remind everyone that Tammy was still missing and they wanted her back. Years later, many would remember Tammy’s disappearance as the event that shattered their innocence.

Norman Belanger, unable to sit at home while his daughter was missing, drove to remote wooded areas and searched through hunting campsites and abandoned cabins. He and his wife still believed Tammy was being held somewhere against her will and they were confident that she would one day make it home.

The community rallied around the Belanger family, dropping off meals so they wouldn’t have to worry about cooking and offering financial assistance to help them in their search. Norman and Patricia both took time off from work; finding their youngest child was a fulltime job.

A month after Tammy went missing, police still had no idea what had happened to her. Although they were still getting dozens of phone calls a day concerning the case, each lead they investigated turned out to be a dead end.

In December, police identified Victor Wonyetye as a person of interest in the case. He worked at an auto body shop just a few blocks from where Tammy was last seen and had a lengthy criminal record. He had been living in Florida and was a suspect in the May 1984 disappearance of Marjorie Christina Luna there; he moved to New Hampshire shortly after she went missing.

By January, police believed they had enough circumstantial evidence to seek a grand jury indictment of Victor Wonyetye for the kidnapping and probable murder of Tammy. The district attorney, however, disagreed. At the time, it was exceedingly rare to get a conviction without a body, and there was no proof Tammy was actually dead. Investigators also had no physical evidence connecting Wonyetye to the crime, and he was never charged.

On the one-year anniversary of Tammy’s disappearance, detectives acknowledged that they had exhausted all leads and the investigation was at a standstill. Although the Belanger family still believed that Tammy was alive, police were more pessimistic. Most of the investigators believed that Wonyetye had murdered Tammy, but they had been unable to come up with any evidence to prove it.

Over the next few years, several anonymous tips led to additional searches in various areas around New Hampshire, but none of them produced any evidence relevant to the case. Victor Wonyetye was the only suspect to ever be named; he died in December 2012 after spending most of his remaining years in a Florida prison after being convicted of unrelated charges. Tammy remains listed as a missing person.

Tammy Belanger was 8 years old when she went missing in 1984. She has brown hair and brown eyes, her left eye is lazy. At the time of her disappearance, she was 4 feet 6 inches tall and weighed 70 pounds. When she was last seen she was wearing an aqua jersey with black and white stripes, a purple sweater, tan corduroy pants, a tan jacket with blue sleeves, green and blue socks, and tan boots. She was carrying a red backpack that had her name and address on it. If you have any information about Tammy, please contact the Exeter Police Department at 603–772–1212.

Shattered Innocence: The Disappearance of Tammy Belanger

Wicked Deeds podcast just released an episode about Tammy's Disappearance.

Tammy Belanger was just eight years old when she disappeared on her morning walk to school, and due to the lack of procedure in place at local schools during this time, her parents weren’t alerted to her absence until later that afternoon. As authorities began their investigation into finding the missing girl, they had to work diligently and quickly, using every tool at their disposal, but time wasn’t on their side, and as each minute passed, the likelihood of finding Tammy alive continued to fade.

Cold Case Unit

photo of missing person Tammy Belanger

Year of Death or Disappearance: 1984
City/Town: Exeter
Eight-year-old Tammy Belanger disappeared on November 13, 1984 while walking to school on Court Street in Exeter, NH. Despite a massive search and extensive investigation over the years, Tammy has never been located.
Help us solve this case and bring justice to the family of this victim. Use our Tip Form.
More Information: New Hampshire State Police Missing Persons
Additional Photos:
estimated age progession photo of Tammy Belanger

1663682761124.jpegIt seemed a typical November morning—chilly and somewhat gray, yet peaceful as New England autumn mornings so often are. It was around 8am. Betty Blanchette brewed a pot of coffee and shuffled over to the kitchen table, a yawn escaping as she sat down.

She scanned the day’s paper and took a bite of toast before movement just outside the window caught her eye. Betty glanced up to a familiar scene: 8-year-old Tammy Belanger came to the street corner, looked both ways, and was on her way, skipping across the street, headed to school. Betty watched for a moment, feeling the calm of their quiet, small town—the feeling of knowing your neighbors by name and most of their family.

Exeter, New Hampshire in 1984 was home to roughly 13,000 people. A close-knit community built on the banks of the Exeter River, it was an ideal spot for families looking for comfort, shared values, and the assurance that their kids could safely walk alone to school.

But what Betty didn’t know that morning, what no one in the sleepy, seacoast town could know, was that there was someone among them who threatened that very sense of safety they took for granted.

Tammy Lynn never made it home. She didn't even make it to school.

One suspect emerged as the likely perpetrator, but despite his long history of offenses against young girls, investigators are still searching for that one piece of hard evidence that would prove his guilt once and for all.

Tammy Belanger, a shy and studious 8-year-old, lived in the small town of Exeter, New Hampshire. Exeter was considered an extremely safe place, and most of the 13,000 residents rarely bothered locking their doors. Tammy, the youngest of Norman and Patricia Belanger’s three children, had grown up in Exeter and knew most of the people in her neighborhood. She attended third grade at Lincoln Street School, located a mile from her home on River Street. Bus service was only available for students who lived at least two miles away, so Tammy walked to and from school. She had been taking the same route daily since first grade, and was comfortable walking alone.
More:

1663683012770.jpeg

Whitney Boyd, a Portsmouth psychic who offers her services through her Facebook page, “Readings by Whitney,” said she was one of the psychics brought in by investigators in the days immediately following Tammy’s disappearance. Boyd said she was driving along Route 101 mid-morning the day Belanger went missing and claimed she had a vision of the missing girl “pass across her windshield” and she asked Boyd to help her find her dead body.

Boyd claimed without any supporting evidence, Belanger’s remains, after being incinerated, were disposed of near a small neighborhood in Dover she said was not searched by investigators. Law enforcement officials interviewed for this story declined to comment on specific locations where they searched for possible human remains.

“It was the beginning of my introduction to the psychic world,” she said. “I don’t think she’ll be found. Her remains are not together, everything was burnt up.”

Last edited:
Victor Wonyetye is already dead. I think he killed her. I hope they find her body so that he can receive a proper burial to bring peace to his loved ones. I can't imagine their pain for so many years without knowing anything about her as an 8-year-old girl through no fault of her own...
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back