NJ NJ- Christopher Thomas, 16, Honor Student, Randomly Shot by Stranger w. 'Rocky H P Show Makeup', Rockaway Townsquare Mall, 1 Oct '82, *New Initiative*

dotr

Reaction score
1664595740872.png

William Westhoven
Sept 29 2022 rbbm.
''Four decades after one of Morris County's most shocking killings, the victim's family, friends and law-enforcement authorities are still asking: Who shot Boonton Township teen Christopher Thomas at the Rockaway Townsquare mall, and why?

As the anniversary approaches on Oct. 1, Thomas' younger brother, Mark, says he wants to "shake the tree" with a public plea for someone to come forward, help catch the killer and bring some closure to his still-grieving family. Law enforcement is now offering a reward for new leads in the seemingly random homicide.''

''Thomas and Morris County authorities will carry that hope into a memorial event from 4 to 6 p.m. on Saturday at Morris Catholic High School, where Christopher was a 16-year-old junior honor-roll student and a standout athlete.''

''In police reports, about 20 witnesses described a cold-blooded attack that seemed to come out of nowhere in a very public location - just outside the main entrance of Rockaway Townsquare mall in Rockaway Township. Just five years old at the time, the mall off Route 80 was a busy center for shopping and entertainment in the region, featuring a six-screen multiplex theater just inside the doors where Thomas was shot''

''Mark Thomas said his brother went there to buy an anniversary gift for his parents before taking in a movie. But as the couple approached the entrance, they encountered another person, who was leaning against a wall outside.

As they passed by, according to the police report, "the male suspect walked up behind them and pushed [Thomas'] companion aside. The victim turned so that he was now facing the parking lot (east), and the offender pointed a handgun at the victim’s chest. The victim backed up against the wall with his hands raised and the offender fired once into his chest. No words were exchanged between the victim and the suspect."

''Witnesses provided a detailed description: a white male in his early 20s, approximately 5 feet, 5 inches tall with a thin build, a slight dark mustache, shoulder-length dark hair parted in the middle and wearing a blue coat, light-colored T-shirt, blue jeans and mirrored sunglasses.

''Gannon added the suspect may have been wearing makeup consistent with the "Rocky Horror Picture Show," scheduled for a late screening at the multiplex that night.''
1664595710470.png

Scheduled for Oct 1, 2022​

''M.C.P.O. Case # 1997x-001568​

Christopher Thomas
Sketch of Christopher Thomas
On October 1, 1982, Christopher Thomas was with his girlfriend at the Rockaway Townsquare Mall in Rockaway Township, N.J. when a male actor approached and shot him. The actor was described as a white male, in his early 20’s, approximately 5’5” tall, thin build, with a slight, dark mustache, shoulder length dark hair parted in the middle wearing a blue coat and mirrored sunglasses. A composite sketch of the actor was completed. The case was ruled a homicide.''

This was local to me. I am friends with people who were/are still friends with victim and his siblings. Still think of it every time I walk through the doors where the movie theater used to be.

1664715715981.png

1664715479342.png
Oct 1 2022 rbbm.
''Investigators do not believe Christopher was targeted in the apparent random attack, said Morris County Prosecutor Robert Carroll. The individual who shot him is likely still living in the Morris County community, Carroll added.

Officials said the man who shot Christopher Thomas had a thin build, a slight, dark mustache, and shoulder-length dark hair parted in the middle. He wore a blue coat and mirrored glasses, officials added.

Christopher attended Morris Catholic High School in Denville.

“Everyone has a Christopher Thomas in their class,” his brother said in a video statement. “He was the best athlete. He was the straight-A student. And he was literally everyone’s friend.”

Morris County Sheriff James Gannon said the reward for information has increased to $50,000.''

“I truly believe n my heart that there is someone, somewhere, with additional information about those events,” said Mark Thomas. “And all I can ask is that person would come forward with that information.”

Officials urged anyone with information to contact them at 973-COP-CALL or visit CopCall.org.''

This was local to me. I am friends with people who were/are still friends with victim and his siblings. Still think of it every time I walk through the doors where the movie theater used to be.
My brothers play soccer with Chris at MCHS and I played basketball with his younger brother Mark. Tragic that there is still no resolution to this. Hoping the anniversary will renew interest in the unsolved murder.

''Oct 4, 2022
October 1st marked forty years since Christopher Thomas was fatally shot at the Rockaway Mall. This past Saturday, the Thomas family & friends, the Morris Catholic High School community, and Morris County Law Enforcement, gathered in remembrance of Christopher. An increase to the reward for information helping solve this crime was also announced.''

Not that it really matters toward the resolution of the case. Does anyone know what entrance the theaters used to be located at? I am local to Rockaway mall and had heard of this case before but for some reason I thought I read that the shooting happened inside at the food court area. Every time I am at the mall I remember this case. I am just curious as there are no theaters inside the mall these days. Also, there is mention of a wig. Was one found or is it supposition based purely upon witness statements? If it was random, I find it hard to believe that the perpetrator kept quite all these years. Someone probably knows something.

Upper level entrance next to JCPenney. When you walk into the mall the movie theaters were on the right. There was a bunch of payphones right in the middle on tall pillars. At the time and for years after that was the area where everyone hung out. I can't remember if the arcade was there on the left hand side in 1982 or if that came a bit later. There was concrete planters outside along the building where people sat and smoked. Which is part of what makes this so unreal if you grew up in the area, it was a crowded part of the mall, people all around and outside. Yes I was a mall girl..

Last edited:
re-post rbbm
1677187725691.png
''In police reports, about 20 witnessesdescribed a cold-blooded attack that seemed to come out of nowhere in a very public location - just outside the main entrance of Rockaway Townsquare mall in Rockaway Township. Just five years old at the time, the mall off Route 80 was a busy center for shopping and entertainment in the region, featuring a six-screen multiplex theater just inside the doors where Thomas was shot.''

Official reports state Thomas and a girlfriend were dropped off outside the entrance just after 9 p.m. It was a Friday night and the mall was bustling with activity.''

''Mark Thomas said his brother went there to buy an anniversary gift for his parents before taking in a movie. But as the couple approached the entrance, they encountered another person, who was leaning against a wall outside.

As they passed by, according to the police report, "the male suspect walked up behind them and pushed [Thomas'] companion aside. The victim turned so that he was now facing the parking lot (east), and the offender pointed a handgun at the victim’s chest. The victim backed up against the wall with his hands raised and the offender fired once into his chest. No words were exchanged between the victim and the suspect."

Mortally wounded, Thomas "asked for help, stumbled forward through the entrance doors to the mall and collapsed on the floor," the report stated.''

A police sketch of the suspect in the Oct. 1,1982, shooting death of Morris Catholic High School junior Christopher Thomas. Thomas, 16, of Boonton Township, was killed at Rockaway Townsquare mall near the movie theater entrance prior to a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The suspect may have been wearing a wig, police say.

Gannon said the suspect fled the scene, running south and down a knoll near the lower entrance to JCPenney.

re-post rbbm
View attachment 405067
''In police reports, about 20 witnessesdescribed a cold-blooded attack that seemed to come out of nowhere in a very public location - just outside the main entrance of Rockaway Townsquare mall in Rockaway Township. Just five years old at the time, the mall off Route 80 was a busy center for shopping and entertainment in the region, featuring a six-screen multiplex theater just inside the doors where Thomas was shot.''

Official reports state Thomas and a girlfriend were dropped off outside the entrance just after 9 p.m. It was a Friday night and the mall was bustling with activity.''

Mortally wounded, Thomas "asked for help, stumbled forward through the entrance doors to the mall and collapsed on the floor," the report stated.''

A police sketch of the suspect in the Oct. 1,1982, shooting death of Morris Catholic High School junior Christopher Thomas. Thomas, 16, of Boonton Township, was killed at Rockaway Townsquare mall near the movie theater entrance prior to a screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The suspect may have been wearing a wig, police say.

Gannon said the suspect fled the scene, running south and down a knoll near the lower entrance to JCPenney.
This photo is fairly recent, but not the entrance where the shooting occurred. If you were on the other side of this Macy's (white building) you would be on the right side of the mall looking in the same direction this picture was taken.

1677188967271.png
This is the entrance where it happened as it looks today. JCPenney upper level is to the left. Suspect came out the front door ran past Penney's and ran down the embankment towards the lower level and then disappeared. At the time there were woods in the area, now Target and other stores.

There was the inner theaters which was inside to the right of these doors (next to Liberty Travel and the outer theaters (where Best Buy is now).. Both had 6 theaters.

Upper level entrance next to JCPenney. When you walk into the mall the movie theaters were on the right. There was a bunch of payphones right in the middle on tall pillars. At the time and for years after that was the area where everyone hung out. I can't remember if the arcade was there on the left hand side in 1982 or if that came a bit later. There was concrete planters outside along the building where people sat and smoked. Which is part of what makes this so unreal if you grew up in the area, it was a crowded part of the mall, people all around and outside. Yes I was a mall girl..
View attachment 405074
This is the entrance where it happened as it looks today. JCPenney upper level is to the left. Suspect came out the front door ran past Penney's and ran down the embankment towards the lower level and then disappeared. At the time there were woods in the area, now Target and other stores.

There was the inner theaters which was inside to the right of these doors (next to Liberty Travel and the outer theaters (where Best Buy is now).. Both had 6 theaters.
I find it difficult to believe that this was random. Not saying it is out of the question but it would mean that the guy who did it may have went to the mall that night with the intent to kill someone, anyone. If that were the case it is odd that he has went all of these years without information getting out. You would think that someone that just randomly shoots someone would feel a need to tell someone about it.

View attachment 405074

If he ran south he would have passed a retention pond and across the road another small, natural pond. I would think that one would want to get rid of the gun quickly and wonder if those ponds were ever searched for the weapon.

All these years later and I'm still not sure what I believe. There were so many places along the way to dispose of the weapon and so much construction over the years if it was still there it is long buried.

1 October will mark 41 years...

Christopher Thomas, 16, a Boonton Township resident and Morris Catholic High School junior, was shot and killed Oct. 1, 1982, at Rockaway Townsquare mall by a suspect who is still unknown 40 years later.

Christopher Thomas, age 16
Murdered 1 October 1982

LINKS:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member