NJ NJ - Depford, WhtFem 16-20, UP1489, in woods, pearl necklace, sweatpants, Feb'90

Here is the NamUs link last updated in April. https://identifyus.org/cases/1489

It lists 3 people on the rule out list:
Carol Donn 1963 Florida
Tracy Kroh 1972 Pennsylvania
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida

This could be Aundria Michelle Bowman

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bowman_aundria.html

I submitted a possible match to the Doe Network a few days ago. I received a reply that the possible match was already submitted by someone else. Looks like people are looking into this case.

Based on other posts in websleuths, it was rumored Aundria was seen getting into a semi shortly before she disappeared in Michigan.

Here is the link to Aundria's thread here at Websleuths.

MI MI - Aundria Michelle Bowman, 14, Holland, 11 March 1989 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I did come across Aundria when I was looking for possible matches. I didn't really consider her too closely because I found it hard to imagine a fourteen-year-old girl would make it from Michigan to New Jersey. However anything's possible, especially if she was seen getting into a truck. As I think I said before, Deptford Township is about 10 minutes from Philadelphia, 45 minutes from Atlantic City, and 1.5 hours from New York City. All of these three cities are good places for runaways to "get lost" in.

I wonder if 1. Aundria ever mentioned any friends living in Philly or New York, or expressed any desire to go to the east coast, and 2. if she had any cleft palate repair?

An interesting little story as well: I met a psychic (I know, I know) who told me the unidentified Deptford girl was not killed by one person but by two or three: she met a group of people who offered to help her, possibly drive her to a destination, but ended up sexually assaulting her and strangling her with an article of clothing. She said they were teenagers or young adults and there was a female present. The female was the key to the group gaining the girl's trust.
Obviously take this with a (large) grain of salt, but at this point there's not much else new coming from this case.

I don't know about Aundria having a cleft palate, it did say the unidentified person she had a deviated septum. That meant she had troubled breathing through her nose and was susceptible to sinus infections. It is uncomfortable but not entirely debilitating.

I was looking at this unidentified person and Aundria for 2 weeks before I submitted a match to the Doe Network (it was already submitted). All comparisons lead to Aundria. It was not until I read the posts on Aundria's threads that struck me. It was stated that Aundria was seen getting into a semi before she disappeared. Deptford NJ is a trucking hub and could have been on the route. She was picked up in MI, which is about a days ride from NJ. Eyewitnesses and posters also stated Aundria was gullible, so to get away from her situation some trucker convinced her to travel with him where she may have met with foul play along the way. The body was left in NJ probably to make it harder for authorities to identify her. That's my guess, I am not a detective, but I hope the authorities are looking into this.

Also, based on the other thread the authorities in Michigan have been given Aundria's birth mother the runaround. It was as if they were in no hurry to find her. Perhaps the authorities in NJ could assist her, or she could reach out to them in solving this case. In my heart I hope Aundria is found safe, but based on what has been posted it might not turn out ok. It's been over 23 years. Only a DNA and dental match will prove is this is Aundria Bowman or not.

Hi,
I found this forum while working on a story about the female remains that were found in Deptford 20 years ago. I'm a reporter with the Courier-Post in Cherry Hill NJ and am profiling this case in the paper this week. I'm posting this message in hopes of eliciting a response from anyone who lives near where the remains were found and can talk with me about their thoughts on the case and the fact the woman was never identified.

Thanks,
George Mast
Courier-Post
(856) 486-2465

Hi George, and welcome to Websleuths.

I was just looking at this case again a few days ago. This unidentified female has a unique enough smile that she shouldn't be hard to recognize if we had the right missing person.

She had a crooked philtrum (i.e., the vertical groove between the nose and upper lip). It doesn't say anything about a repaired cleft palate, but it seems that her appearance would be similar to how someone with a repaired cleft palate would look. Actor Stacy Keach comes to mind as an example of someone with a deformed philtrum.

The NamUs casefile Dentals section describes a girl with an "open bite" (meaning that it is difficult - or maybe impossible - to bite down on anything with her front teeth), and an "overjet" condition, which indicates protruding front teeth more severe than an "overbite". I would guess that she probably spoke with a lisp.

Just a few days ago, I was looking in the 1987 Deptford Township HS yearbook for a girl with a lopsided philtrum, and protruding front teeth and open bite. That was the only year available in Classmates.com from that school for that era. The photos in that book weren't very clear, but I only saw a couple of girls who even remotely might have fit the description, but I decided that they were doubtful as being our Jane Doe.

Looking through the MP's I saw one girl whose teeth looked like they might fit the description (but I see no indication of a deformed philtrum).

Brenda Cecilia Crowley
crowley_brenda.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/crowley_brenda.html

But she went missing 10 years before the remains were found. There was still hair found with the remains, so the Jane Doe probably had not been dead that long. It's possible though that Brenda could have been on the street for several years before her demise.

Hi George,

I don't live in South Jersey but it would be a great public service if your article can do one thing and bring attention to the fact that many police departments have many old missing persons reports in their paper files that have for one reason or another never been entered into any of the national databases.

we can't undo practices from decades ago where some police refused to take reports from missing adults or purged files when missing children turned 18, but it is possible that this girl was missing from somewhere in South Jersey and no one has put two and two together.

if you'd like, I could give you some specific examples of what I am talking about, so you have actual references, I'd be happy to do so.

Hi,
I found this forum while working on a story about the female remains that were found in Deptford 20 years ago. I'm a reporter with the Courier-Post in Cherry Hill NJ and am profiling this case in the paper this week. I'm posting this message in hopes of eliciting a response from anyone who lives near where the remains were found and can talk with me about their thoughts on the case and the fact the woman was never identified.

Thanks,
George Mast
Courier-Post
(856) 486-2465

George, I decided to go ahead and give you two glaring examples of what happens when missing persons reports stay in paper files in local police stations and not put into any national databases.

here is one from Virginia Beach, VA where a man dropped dead of a heart attack in a Burger King restaurant but had no ID on him. even though a missing persons report was filed with the Virginia Beach Police Dept by his landlord three months after his tenant suddenly dissapeared (i.e. died in the Burger King), it took 11 years for someone to rummage through the paper missing persons file to connect the two files together even though they were in the same exact jurisdiction.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/02/paint-helps-prove-identity-2001-death-burger-king

another case involves a dead body found in Flint, MI. the deceased is a white male and the Flint police stated there were more than 100 missing persons reports for white men in the past decade, even though not one was entered into the national missing persons databases:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/01/flint_police_say_bones_found_a.html

so you see, it is possible for some of these unidentified remains cases to be closed out much quicker if the missing persons reports are all put online. NAMUS is run by the Justice Department so it is not some fly by night website.

I found Tavia Elizabeth Bailey when I was looking for Andrea doe, huntington beach. I'm posting her details here though because there does seem to be some (much younger) resemblance to the color artist impression here. Tavia had run away to NY before. Her 'blonde' hair looks as it might be called light brown too and her height is only estimated, with the upper range just about reaching the minimum here. Multiple ear piercings.

Most interesting is the scarring on her face - an accident that could have led to a deviated septum like this young girl here? Or surgery maybe? Tania's photo at the link doesn't show a deviated septum, I think, but I can't see scars either, so maybe they came later?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...6175208312.330391.357719023311%type=3&theater

Attachments

• tavia bailey_n.jpg
    tavia bailey_n.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 46
I can't find any pics of Tavia with an open smile, or any info about the reason for the scar/scars. Some sites say three scars, others just one on her lip. Namus has dentals though.

Hi George, and welcome to Websleuths.

I was just looking at this case again a few days ago. This unidentified female has a unique enough smile that she shouldn't be hard to recognize if we had the right missing person.

She had a crooked philtrum (i.e., the vertical groove between the nose and upper lip). It doesn't say anything about a repaired cleft palate, but it seems that her appearance would be similar to how someone with a repaired cleft palate would look. Actor Stacy Keach comes to mind as an example of someone with a deformed philtrum.

The NamUs casefile Dentals section describes a girl with an "open bite" (meaning that it is difficult - or maybe impossible - to bite down on anything with her front teeth), and an "overjet" condition, which indicates protruding front teeth more severe than an "overbite". I would guess that she probably spoke with a lisp.

Just a few days ago, I was looking in the 1987 Deptford Township HS yearbook for a girl with a lopsided philtrum, and protruding front teeth and open bite. That was the only year available in Classmates.com from that school for that era. The photos in that book weren't very clear, but I only saw a couple of girls who even remotely might have fit the description, but I decided that they were doubtful as being our Jane Doe.

Looking through the MP's I saw one girl whose teeth looked like they might fit the description (but I see no indication of a deformed philtrum).

Brenda Cecilia Crowley
crowley_brenda.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/crowley_brenda.html

But she went missing 10 years before the remains were found. There was still hair found with the remains, so the Jane Doe probably had not been dead that long. It's possible though that Brenda could have been on the street for several years before her demise.

Shelley Diane Luty was brought up on another thread, and it reminded me that she was one other possible for this Jane Doe who I was looking at with regard to Deptford Jane Doe.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/luty_shelly.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2906/0

luty_shelly.jpg
121UFNJ.jpg

From the photo, she appears to have an overjet condition in her teeth. The photo is not clear enough to see whether her philtrum is normally shaped, but her narrative indicates that she did have a scar at the bottom of her nose.

Upper Darby PA is only about 22 miles from Deptford Township NJ, just across the Delaware River.

As is the case with Brenda Crowley, the timeline is a little long though.

The Jane Doe's two upper front teeth (8 & 9) were lost postmortem, so we can't verify whether she had a chipped and capped upper-right front tooth (#8).

According to her NamUs casefile, there is no DNA available. However, her dentals are "available and entered"

Hi,

Thanks,
George Mast
Courier-Post
(856) 486-2465

Hi George; I'm fairly local; closer to where Autumn was found. If you're going to do a story on her; can I suggest that you ask them for better images of her necklace & earrings? I'm also not crazy about the recon they did with the wig; she looks too old.

I wasn't in the area back then; do you know how built up the area was compared to now? It's a great area for shopping now with the mall & tons of stores there.

Hi George; I'm fairly local; closer to where Autumn was found. If you're going to do a story on her; can I suggest that you ask them for better images of her necklace & earrings? I'm also not crazy about the recon they did with the wig; she looks too old.

I wasn't in the area back then; do you know how built up the area was compared to now? It's a great area for shopping now with the mall & tons of stores there.

I too would like to see what the landscape looked like back then. I know the mall was already built--you could walk to it from where the girl was found. The Lowes/Chic-Fil-A next to the Pathmark plaza was not there; nor were the Locust Grove townhouses behind it. I'm fairly certain the AMC movie theater and shops around it were there in 1989 but I could be wrong. I think it was mostly houses and woods in that area. The shopping center with Olive Garden/Red Lobster and the one across the street with Barnes and Noble was all farmland back then (now we are on Almonesson not Clements Bridge). I wonder if they have any aerial maps of the area from 1989?

I also wonder which "woods" they found here in as there are many little patches of woods around that shopping center. Are the woods still there or did they knock them down to build the Locust Grove townhomes?

this Jane Doe's image (actually 2 of them) are in this photo gallery at the Courier Post. unless I am a complete idiot, I was not able to find a story in connection with the photos. it is a not a user friendly website.

for what it is worth there are several images of Donna Fontana who is the contact person for most of the NJ UIDs.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/ap...30215&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=302150804&Ref=PH

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back